Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't bonjasky retire because of health problems ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Skip My Posts posted:

I hadn't heard that, but I'm pretty sure that Melvin has been meaning to retire because of CTE and memory loss but he keeps, you know, forgetting.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Skip My Posts posted:

He's had persistent problems with detached retinas and his peripheral vision is hosed and he can't see thing properly approaching one side of his face

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

He's had persistent problems with detached retinas and his peripheral vision is hosed and he can't see thing properly approaching one side of his face

I love this thread but it's always really grim. Or at best funny in a depressing way.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Bonjasky had eye surgery in like 2009 to fix his eye and then didn't fight for 3 years, but I guess he didn't consider that to be retirement since he had some fights in 2012 and 2013.

He finally actually retired in early 2014 after beating Cro Cop. As much as any fighter (or pro wrestler) really retires.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
man when i first saw the fight i was thinking Melvin No but i had no idea about bonjasky. gently caress

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I loved the first Rocky movie.

E: Wait no that'd make Melvin Apollo Creed, which he is not. Unless Remy lands a head kick in which case he'll be Apollo Creed in Rocky 4.

Puckish Rogue fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jul 28, 2017

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Rico Verhoeven Vs Bigfoot Silva rumoured for Glory in China lol

2 fat 4 my lambo
Oct 9, 2003

WEED POOP

Triticum Guzzler posted:

:pray:

2 fat 4 my lambo
Oct 9, 2003

WEED POOP
also: gently caress bigfoot

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
It's still being negotiated but what a stupid and terrible idea. I'm sure the Guangzhou audience will go absolutely wild for Nazi experiment Vs Frankenstein's monster. It does nothing for anybody and is delaying somebody's chemo lol

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
So I was reading this article about the mental maturation of this hothead Serbian soccer player and stumbled across this great quote.

quote:

football saved him from a life he would rather not imagine.
‘My father tells me I would have been a criminal or a kick-boxer,’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4766100/Newcastle-s-Aleksandar-Mitrovic-insists-grown.html

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Triticum Guzzler posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BX7Kj93h1SK/

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
https://twitter.com/KiksieDB/status/898438671900094464

This is a loving stupid idea from every conceivable angle

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Kickboxing's lust for death makes full bloodlust era PRIDE look like a class on hugging and caring for one another.

Sometimes i feel bad for being an NFL fan as these guys are sacrificing their later years for my enjoyment and then I remember I also watch a sport which is going to be hosting multiple death matches in the coming months .

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
They want to keep Rico busy and get him a spectacular finish because he basically never finishes anyone, so they brought in a brain-dead monster from a different sport. I hope it goes to a decision.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Triticum Guzzler posted:

They want to keep Rico busy and get him a spectacular finish because he basically never finishes anyone, so they brought in a brain-dead monster from a different sport. I hope it goes to a decision.

An ageing gladiator steps into Rome's arena, ready to put his sword into nature's most dangerous predator: An elderly lion with cerebral palsy.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
For some reason this 🗿 vs Verhoeven match has been on my mind for the whole day.

Its just so pointless.

And to top the poo poo sandwich i just saw this interview with Silvas manager.

quote:

But Silva’s doing it anyway, and for reasons that are as old as the fight game.

For one, he thinks he can win. According to Davis, “Bigfoot” is back on testosterone-replacement therapy, which he used somewhat controversially for a time in the UFC, before the practice was effectively banned.

Now, fighting in places like Russia and China, and for organizations whose anti-doping policies are notably less stringent, he’s free to resume the use of synthetic testosterone, which makes “a huge difference” for him, Davis said.

“And also he needs money,” Davis said. “He can’t turn down fights at the moment for that reason. If it was up to me, he would not take this fight. But at the end of the day, my job is to inform him, give him my advice, and the one who has to make the final decision is him.”

And just to cap of this sadness here is a grim reality of what is waiting him in the future.

quote:

It was the same with Gary Goodridge, another MMA fighter who turned to kickboxing later in his career. He lost about twice as many kickboxing bouts as he won, but his appeal for promoters was that, when you booked “Big Daddy,” you knew someone would get knocked out – even if the someone was usually him.

For Goodridge, those years of damage contributed to brain trauma that eventually left him unable to remember conversations moments after they’d ended. By the evening, he couldn’t tell you what he’d done during the afternoon.

But Goodridge also needed the money. Even when he knew he shouldn’t fight anymore, he was a man in his forties with no real work history outside of cages and rings. What else was he supposed to do?

Here is Gary talking about his life with CTE

https://youtu.be/S5OUt53-6YM

TheCool69 fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 19, 2017

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I hope it ends within the distance, in Bigfoot's favour.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
The worst Gary Goodridge story I ever heard was on the day he fought Pat Barry, somebody recognised him, approached him and said he was looking forward to watching him fight later. Gary had no idea he was fighting. Just thought I'd darken your day

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Triticum Guzzler posted:

The worst Gary Goodridge story I ever heard was on the day he fought Pat Barry, somebody recognised him, approached him and said he was looking forward to watching him fight later. Gary had no idea he was fighting. Just thought I'd darken your day

That's grim. Never knew Goodridge was that far gone. Sad to see mma pioneers go down like this.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Did Goodridge have a pre-existing health condition? He seems way more legit punchy than, well, anyone ever. (From not boxing combat sports)

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
brain damage can manifest in all kinds of ways, it really depends which parts of the brain are damaged. my dad has taken a few since he used to race bikes in the days before helmets were compulsory and his memory is pretty bad too, nowhere near that bad though. on the other hand hes a very happy person and he hasnt had any emotional problems or anything like that but in some cases one hard whack can turn people into serial killers

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Captain Log posted:

Did Goodridge have a pre-existing health condition? He seems way more legit punchy than, well, anyone ever. (From not boxing combat sports)

He's been getting his head bounced for many many years.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I talked to Gary about butts on twitter, that was pretty cool. But mostly he tweets inspirational things.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Krush 79 is sick as hell. Look up every fight

https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/899172983519944704

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Look at this

https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/899209932351963136

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
i was just about to post the noiri one. he's so fuckin good.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

He's sick as hell and I'm deeply in love

https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/899207727112572928

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I'm glad he panned out.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
This is my favourite from that event.

https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/899170615617179648

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

The landscape is so fractured it'll probably never happen, but Noiri is definitely big enough for lightweight and there are some incredible fights for him there

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
this is just the clip of mark hunt killing jlb and i realise that everyone reading this thread has seen it a million times but personally i can't remember seeing a version with such excellent quality video and sound. the sound of the crowd when hunt takes him out might be one of the best crowd reaction sounds in combat sports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0VklykiAk4

Biafraid
Jan 31, 2008

yeah.
That rules

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It's weird he is just now finding out that all of his opponents are on steroids.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Next couple of K-1 events aren't looking so hot:

Up first on the 18th there's a 67kg tournament

quote:

Primary Welterweight Tournament
Kubo Yuta vs. Kimura 'Philip' Minoru
Tsukakoshi Hitoshi vs. Han Wenbao
Yamagiwa Kazuki vs. Melsik Baghdasaryan
Watabe Daiki vs. Mohan Dragon

Tournament Reserve Fight
Makihira Keita vs Kenji

Super Fights
Takeru vs. Wang Juanguang
Taiga vs. Stauros Exakoustidis
Takei Yoshiki vs. Izawa Namito
Hinata vs. Sergio Sanchez
Urabe Hirotaka vs. Yamamoto Masahiro
Shimano Kotaro vs. Koji

They tried to get Qiu Jianliang in the tournament but he turned it down, also Taiga was supposed to have a better opponent but he had to pull out after getting injured pulling someone out of a burning car. Melsik is probably going to take the tournament if his shoulder is back up to speed.

On the 23rd of November there's a "heavyweight" tournament which unfortunately still keeps the 4 foreigners and 4 Japanese format, and you have to plumb some loving depths to find 4 Japanese heavyweights. The card isn't finalised but the tournament is:

quote:

Heavyweight Tournament
Uehara Makoto vs. Pacome Assi
K-JEE vs. Antonio Plazibat
Iwashita Masahiro vs. Roel Mannaart
Koichi Pettas vs. Ibrahim El Bouni

However they're finding a way to make it fun, per karaevfan over at Kakutougi:

quote:

One fun thing.

The presser for this event was very heated with Uehara basically calling K-Jee and Iwashita weaklings and K-Jee calling out Uehara for having a big attitude despite never having a good win over foreign opponents. One good thing that came out of that though is that Uehara demanded there be KO bonuses. AbemaTV (the host that's doing the streams) is apparently obliging and from the next event (including the September one) onwards $2K for every KO winner on the card.

That's modest enough, but the interestingly apparently Abema is giving away an equivalent KO bonus to the audience as well. For every KO, Abema's going to post up a code and if you retweet it you're entered into lottery where you can win the bonus.

Glory has a decent card in Amsterdam on the 30th of September, Robin van Roosmalen vs Serhiy Adamchuk and Nieky Holzken vs Alim Nabiyev. Hesdy Gerges is on the undercard and there's another pointless tournament too.

Also a general roundup of stuff:

There was a small regional K-1 event that hosted fights for Peter Aerts' son and daughter, they both won.

Takeru is featured in a movie where the plot is that a string of unfortunate events results in an actor having to fight Takeru

Krush 80 was held today or yesterday but nothing good has come out yet

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
K-1 is on tomorrow, if you have a VPN or other on line treachery it should be here: https://abema.tv/now-on-air/fighting-sports

From what I can tell the show should be starting at 1:30am Eastern/6:30am UK time but there might be some child fights before that time. In Japan they're broadcasting from 10:30am to 9pm, which is nuts.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Triticum Guzzler posted:

It's still being negotiated but what a stupid and terrible idea. I'm sure the Guangzhou audience will go absolutely wild for Nazi experiment Vs Frankenstein's monster. It does nothing for anybody and is delaying somebody's chemo lol

It's all so insane but it's also very kick boxing. Thrill ride from start to finish

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
k-1 is on if you have a japanese vpn. i don't, qq

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Triticum Guzzler posted:

k-1 is on if you have a japanese vpn. i don't, qq

thanks for the reminder. tuned in to see a foreigner getting hosed up