Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Chev posted:

If you've gotta talk about this episode's rendition of the manga there's plenty other, not even vaguely spoilery things to discuss, like how the storyboarder couldn't quite match manga Ozen's violence and creepiness (though they did use her wonderful hunchback thing) or how it's missing the way her smile appears when she's suited up, giving the impression of a sort of visor under her hat until the point where you realize she's just always grinning extra creepily. That being said I love her voice.

If you're looking for this kind of observance, I'd like to mention that Malruk and Ozen show up in the ending starting with the arrival at the seeker camp in episode 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, that was a fun detail, when I noticed them I had to go back to previous episodes to see if they were already there.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Good episode, gonna stick with this series. I understood the Abyss as a God concept because people worship it precisely because it is unknowable and seemingly infinite. Reaching the bottom and also cataloging all of its most powerful secrets massively undermines that. Like going through God's dirty laundry basket.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Jeza posted:

Good episode, gonna stick with this series. I understood the Abyss as a God concept because people worship it precisely because it is unknowable and seemingly infinite. Reaching the bottom and also cataloging all of its most powerful secrets massively undermines that. Like going through God's dirty laundry basket.

Right? Some of these revelations would be the equivalent of doing so and finding "...Divine robe...Divine robe....Divine robe...Used gimp suit...Divine robe....wait, what?!"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Chev posted:

C'mon, Haro. While I know that difference is a bit of a salient point for those who know the manga that's the kind of element you should abstain from mentioning until the anime's done adapting that bit.

If you've gotta talk about this episode's rendition of the manga there's plenty other, not even vaguely spoilery things to discuss, like how the storyboarder couldn't quite match manga Ozen's violence and creepiness (though they did use her wonderful hunchback thing) or how it's missing the way her smile appears when she's suited up, giving the impression of a sort of visor under her hat until the point where you realize she's just always grinning extra creepily. That being said I love her voice.

They're definitely toning down from the manga, so that might explain why it's less creepy and hosed up. Ozen just works better in the manga IMO.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
All these posts, and no discussion of Ozen's sweet-rear end hat? C'mon, goons.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Her outfit is pretty rad in general.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Ozen has the best outfit of the White Whistles.

She comes across as far creepier in the manga though yeah, which is sort of expected since a lot of it relies on the medium.

Or when Reg is aiming the incinerator. Manga: looks like she closed the gap in the blink of an eye, anime: casually stomping up to Reg.

She's inhumanly fast and strong and keeps alternating between tall and lanky & terrifying hunchback (and then combines both with her outfit). Doesn't come across that well animated.

Ozen :3:

e. Yeeeeeah checking back on her presentation, the animated version really failed to capture some key moments. They nailed the voice though.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 20, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The anime has some nice visuals, but that's pretty much limited only to the scenery. Character-wise, and dramatically, the manga flatly beats it out.

The closeups of her void face is also kinda lovely in the anime. It's just not very well executed.

This in particular is disappointing. I had hoped to see a really awesome rendition of this, but no dice :sigh:

Makes me wonder how they're gonna do the rest of the manga.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the main thing that put me off about the look of the episode was how bright that room was, especially with the spotlight they added on the cube. still kinda worried about the pacing, too.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

dogsicle posted:

the main thing that put me off about the look of the episode was how bright that room was, especially with the spotlight they added on the cube. still kinda worried about the pacing, too.

They should just barely cover the next arc with 13 episodes total.

cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011
I really like this show a lot, and more for each episode. The atmosphere is really eerie, contrasting the otherwise cheerful design. Reading the last page of the thread it seems the manga is even better. Might start reading it when the show's done.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I can't say how chuffed I am that anime is venturing into some Last Exile style wierd sci-fi again. Turbo-chuffed, this series is great.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Full OP and ED

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm31792857

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm31793040

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

I hope they'll use this version of the ending when the time comes.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

I hope they'll use this version of the ending when the time comes.

Does it have something to do with the lyrics? Non-speaker here.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Maera Sior posted:

Does it have something to do with the lyrics? Non-speaker here.

There's an extra singer in this version.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
That ED is such an earworm. It keeps getting stuck in my head.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Is it just me, or does Ozen's whistle look a lot like the head of a Gouf?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Pavlov posted:

That ED is such an earworm. It keeps getting stuck in my head.

It's been stuck in my head since I listened to it this morning. I've had worse.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Crunch

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Marulk :smith:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I do not love the cronch

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I do not love the cronch

I, on the other hand, think that Ozen's efforts to paint herself as this hideous satanic monster are kind of hilarious. Lady, you're already a sadistic transhuman with the strength of hundreds of thousands of men. Admitting that you actually care about your friends and their family will not make you any less of a scary badass.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Came to this thread and saw these posts before I realized there was an episode this week, watched the entire episode in terror.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Explosions posted:

Came to this thread and saw these posts before I realized there was an episode this week, watched the entire episode in terror.

:same:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Thirded.

Whereas the actual episode was downright chipper, by this show's standards.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Explosions posted:

I was so relieved when she just started crying.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
lyza is a terrible mother

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I do think Ozen has a point, that given Lyza's lifestyle and career path she's actually done a good job at keeping Riko alive at all, planning ahead in more ways than one. But Ozen's other point also stands, that Lyza lives to see the end of the abyss. If she's the kind of person who could become one of the inhuman white whistles she was ultimately never gonna let such a thing as a daughter stand in her way.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Was it mentioned whether the whistles themselves are Relics? Otherwise, how can they act as a key for devices that are otherwise beyond comprehension?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

Was it mentioned whether the whistles themselves are Relics? Otherwise, how can they act as a key for devices that are otherwise beyond comprehension?

White whistles are made out of artifacts.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Lurking Haro posted:

White whistles are made out of artifacts.

But, out of existing keys? I'm not buying that the raiders have a good enough understanding of Abyss technology to engineer keys for other artifacts all on their own.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

But, out of existing keys? I'm not buying that the raiders have a good enough understanding of Abyss technology to engineer keys for other artifacts all on their own.

yeah, my assumption is that the nature of what white whistles are made out of is something that naturally reacts with other artifacts/the abyss, rather than the act of carving it into a whistle activating some sort of power.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

By itself, this would have been unsettling, but in the context of the scene it happened in, it was downright heartbreaking. Ozen is a very caring and sentimental person in a way that's just perfect for the Abyss.

Now, that noise Ozen made when she pulled herself out her hunch, that was unsettling.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

dogsicle posted:

yeah, my assumption is that the nature of what white whistles are made out of is something that naturally reacts with other artifacts/the abyss, rather than the act of carving it into a whistle activating some sort of power.

That's pretty much it.

The helmet lamps delvers wear are also refined artifacts. Lyza's pick, for what I understand, isn't an artifact by itself, but a tool made using that eternal black powder Ozen mentioned. I imagine it to be rocket propelled.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Command Ant posted:

Now, that noise Ozen made when she pulled herself out her hunch, that was unsettling.

She really needs to see a chiropractor or something about her posture.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Chev posted:

I do think Ozen has a point

Also worth noting that this society seems to have a pretty drat weird view of the abyss. Normally when someone - especially a child - claims they're going to jump into the depths of a cave filled with a neverending assortment of horrors and curses that are known at best to thoroughly gently caress up grown and experienced adults and at worst to do things worst than death... that they'd try to stop them.

But here naw, everyone's pretty gung-ho about it; Leader ensured she could get away by delaying the search party, her uncle showed her the exact route to get started, and even her mom was like "yo if she ever asks you about a suicide mission, show her". That ties into the idea of the abyss being a form of religion/mythos. It's hilariously hosed up.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Mango Polo posted:

Also worth noting that this society seems to have a pretty drat weird view of the abyss. Normally when someone - especially a child - claims they're going to jump into the depths of a cave filled with a neverending assortment of horrors and curses that are known at best to thoroughly gently caress up grown and experienced adults and at worst to do things worst than death... that they'd try to stop them.

But here naw, everyone's pretty gung-ho about it; Leader ensured she could get away by delaying the search party, her uncle showed her the exact route to get started, and even her mom was like "yo if she ever asks you about a suicide mission, show her". That ties into the idea of the abyss being a form of religion/mythos. It's hilariously hosed up.

Rico is a very special exception that everyone understood was going to end up going down there sooner rather than later, especially after finding Reg and getting that letter. I'm pretty confident that any other kid that tried doing what she's doing would get strung up naked grounded and lectured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Lurking Haro posted:

That's pretty much it.

The helmet lamps delvers wear are also refined artifacts. Lyza's pick, for what I understand, isn't an artifact by itself, but a tool made using that eternal black powder Ozen mentioned. I imagine it to be rocket propelled.

rockets... i see. the true abyss, is outer space...

• Locked thread