Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Keep Zelda. Don't rush that game until you feel you're ready. At least do all the divine beasts imo.

I played Mario Odyssey today and it is indeed good and controls fantastically. Huge surprise, I know.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

SeANMcBAY posted:

Keep Zelda. Don't rush that game until you feel you're ready.

Don't listen to his lies. Rush it while it still feels fresh!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I played Mario Odyssey today and it is indeed good and controls fantastically. Huge surprise, I know.

Where, at one of those Nintendo championship things? I wanted to take part but they aren't doing it in Philadelphia or DC :(

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Yo more trip report on that Mario playtime

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Tatsuta Age posted:

Sonic is bad

Sonic is fine, his level layouts and movement physics are bad.

Rexroom posted:

Don't listen to his lies. Rush it while it still feels fresh!

This inkling speaks the truth; I beat it at ~65 hours, and the shrines had long since lost their luster by that point.
( I've added another 30 hours since :ironicat: )

Also had the Master Sword, Hero Shield, level 4 Zora Armor, and a fully upgraded house.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 20, 2017

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
Super Mario World is the definitive Mario game in my eyes, all this shade is confusing to me. also yes more details on Odyssey please!

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Rexroom posted:

If anyone's interested, there's a Pokkén Tournament Top 4 happening soon up at Pokémon World Tournament. I think it's the Switch version they're playing with now.

Nope, it's the Wii U version apparently. But it's good stuff nonetheless.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Those Pokken finals were great, worth the watch imo and people should check it out. Braixen rules

Edit: Pokken Switch Demo was just announced too, no details yet though

Ventana fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 20, 2017

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Ventana posted:

Those Pokken finals were great, worth the watch imo and people should check it out. Braixen rules

Edit: Pokken Switch Demo was just announced too, no details yet though

I hope it's like the MH demos where you can play with your buddies online. It helped convinced a lot of my friends to buy it.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
So we seriously can't get the watermelon joycons outside of a bundle in the US unless we import them at exorbitant prices? That sucks!

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Theta Zero posted:

I hope it's like the MH demos where you can play with your buddies online. It helped convinced a lot of my friends to buy it.

I don't know how common it is for fighting games, but I know that certain anime fighting games like Guilty Gear and I think BlazBlu had this too so I'm hopeful here. I don't know if other Namco fighting games did this though

edit: oh wait online, that I don't know if those games had, but I know they had mostly fully featured local multi which was great

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Morby posted:

So we seriously can't get the watermelon joycons outside of a bundle in the US unless we import them at exorbitant prices? That sucks!

Don't worry, I'm sure people will sell them off from the bundles, so you can get them domestically at exorbitant prices.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

raditts posted:

Don't worry, I'm sure people will sell them off from the bundles, so you can get them domestically at exorbitant prices.

Or we can just buy them but instead get custom painted ones at crazy prices

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Morby posted:

It's p drat lame. Kinda ashamed of myself for spending ~$35 on a Splatoon switch case, but also hella pumped. Now I want the sweet matching joycons to go with it. Why can't the USA have nice things too Nintendo?

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

dog nougat posted:

It's p drat lame. Kinda ashamed of myself for spending ~$35 on a Splatoon switch case, but also hella pumped. Now I want the sweet matching joycons to go with it. Why can't the USA have nice things too Nintendo?

August 6th, 1945

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Manky posted:

Sort of a tangent, but the Mixer streaming platform (owned by Microsoft, formerly called Beam) has a custom protocol called FTL that provides very low latency streams. So streams really have like half a second lag versus twitch's many seconds delay

THANK YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

raditts posted:

Where, at one of those Nintendo championship things? I wanted to take part but they aren't doing it in Philadelphia or DC :(

Yeah, at the one in San Jose. I did horribly though. I don't know why they used Mario Kart 7 time trials instead of 8D.:argh:

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.
Anybody having issues with Splatoon 2 lately? I've been playing it with zero issues until yesterday. Yesterday it started disconnecting from literally every match after about 10 seconds. I gave up and quit playing, then tried again today (tried turning the switch all the way off then back on), and it persists. Literally every game starts saying the connection is unstable about 10 seconds in then DC's me.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Fhate posted:

Anybody having issues with Splatoon 2 lately? I've been playing it with zero issues until yesterday. Yesterday it started disconnecting from literally every match after about 10 seconds. I gave up and quit playing, then tried again today (tried turning the switch all the way off then back on), and it persists. Literally every game starts saying the connection is unstable about 10 seconds in then DC's me.

Splatoon 2 runs on a peer to peer connection. If you're having problems constantly, something's wrong with your internet.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
The splatoon case is for sale separately in the UK, I have nearly bought it on at least 4 occasions. Game.co.uk will ship to US I think

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Splatoon 2 runs on a peer to peer connection. If you're having problems constantly, something's wrong with your internet.

Everything else runs fine on all other devices, both wired and wireless.

It stopped, anyway. No idea why. I did nothing this time but run the "Test Connection" thing and then after that it started behaving normally again. I never had this kind of trouble in Splatoon 1 on the Wii U either.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Not sure how splatoon 2 in non-LAN settings can be considered competitive. Because of how players connect to one another and their code, even the very qualities of weapons often "don't matter." You'll find yourself hitting someone 5 times with a weapon that should take 2 hits to kill with and they live. You get hit with a weapon that takes a bunch of hits to kill you and die in one or two hits. Objective captures are delayed or events take a while to register.

It's actually annoying me a lot more as I advance in rank. It's kind of also annoying when the blame is shifted to the players rather than Nintendo here. When it comes to competitive games, this is basically it right now, so it'd be nice if it were properly supported but it isn't and won't ever be.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Splatoon 2:Revenge of the lpb

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Mister Facetious posted:

Also had the Master Sword, Hero Shield, level 4 Zora Armor, and a fully upgraded house.

why does your tv have jaundice

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Not sure how splatoon 2 in non-LAN settings can be considered competitive. Because of how players connect to one another and their code, even the very qualities of weapons often "don't matter." You'll find yourself hitting someone 5 times with a weapon that should take 2 hits to kill with and they live. You get hit with a weapon that takes a bunch of hits to kill you and die in one or two hits. Objective captures are delayed or events take a while to register.

It's actually annoying me a lot more as I advance in rank. It's kind of also annoying when the blame is shifted to the players rather than Nintendo here. When it comes to competitive games, this is basically it right now, so it'd be nice if it were properly supported but it isn't and won't ever be.

I've never had those problems, get better internet

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

I've never had those problems, get better internet

You have but you choose not to notice it I guess. Literally every player has seen delayed splats, too many or too few hits and objectives captured or not captured in error multiple times a day.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
plug your internet in

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I just ordered gigabit internet so I can finally blame Nintendo when I lose instead of my poor skill

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

You have but you choose not to notice it I guess. Literally every player has seen delayed splats, too many or too few hits and objectives captured or not captured in error multiple times a day.

Nah it's not remotely as bad as it was in splatoon 1 and if you're seeing it that much welp good luck. I only see that behavior out of individuals not everyone in the game ie it's them.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

If nintendo's smart they're probably sticking people with similar latency in the same games with each other.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

This is a tick rate issue not an internet issue. The game updates like 25% as fast as a cod game

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
The green/pink shells are finally available if you feel comfortable taking your Joy-Cons apart:

https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/328...sing-Shell-Skin

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

I have literally never had any of the problems you are describing.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

You don't know misery until you're the one American vs 7 Japanese folks in S rank in the original. That will teach you patience and sneakiness cause direct confrontation is lol.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

It's fine, actually.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Bill Barber posted:

It's fine, actually.

We get it, Nintendo is the greatest company on earth and has no flaws, please understand

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 20, 2017

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness
I'm looking to get a console purely to play games with my partner for an hour or two a week. Does the Switch offer anything beyond a minor graphics upgrade that she won't even notice, or is the game selection limited enough that there's little differential between it and a second-hand Wii U?

I haven't owned a console since an N64 (and do all my single-player gaming on PC). Halp!

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Cefte posted:

I'm looking to get a console purely to play games with my partner for an hour or two a week. Does the Switch offer anything beyond a minor graphics upgrade that she won't even notice, or is the game selection limited enough that there's little differential between it and a second-hand Wii U?

I haven't owned a console since an N64 (and do all my single-player gaming on PC). Halp!
Define play games "with"? Do you mean co-op multiplayer type stuff, or simply both of you sitting together and playing a video game? If it's the former I'd definitely get the Switch. It seems like developers are REALLY hammering the whole social/multiplayer aspect with the games they release for it. While they might not be triple-a games, a ton of the stuff in the eShop offers fun co-op and competitive local play.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Switch seems to be getting a bunch of the Wii U's games anyways, so unless you really specifically want what's left on the Wii U, I think Switch is probably the better choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Ventana posted:

Switch seems to be getting a bunch of the Wii U's games anyways, so unless you really specifically want what's left on the Wii U, I think Switch is probably the better choice.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions

• Locked thread