Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Non Serviam posted:

No, I'm serious, learn the background of that whole decision. It was a shameful moment for the court. They actually silenced a bunch of pacifist Yiddish anti war activists.

In Boston they actually silenced a bunch of principled Free Speech defenders :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Taintrunner posted:

So you insist on submitting to a higher authority, I get it.

You'll do fine under a fascist regime, why don't you just say that? It would save us a lot of time trying to convince people who admit they cannot conceive of the collective agency of the marginalized outside the approval of established institutions.

"You listen to the American Civil Liberties Union? YOU CLEARLY ARE RIPE FOR FASCISM"

A loving moron in these forums.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

"You listen to the American Civil Liberties Union? YOU CLEARLY ARE RIPE FOR FASCISM"

sums them up quite nicely.

Left wing authoritarians. That's what they are.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Non Serviam posted:

The ACLU is not the conscience of America, a bunch of them resigned over the decision to defend the right of nazis to do violence, you're a dullard doing the same tedious hand-wringing we've seen repeatedly from spineless dipshits who don't want to do anything and want everyone else to stop doing things as well so they don't feel bad

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FuzzySkinner posted:

oh my god gently caress OFF

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
these linear view points are always loving great

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Crane Fist posted:

The ACLU is not the conscience of America, a bunch of them resigned over the decision to defend the right of nazis to do violence, you're a dullard doing the same tedious hand-wringing we've seen from spineless dipshits who don't want to do anything and want everyone else to stop doing things as well so they don't feel bad

being critical of antifa and preferring non violent resistance =/= being spineless.

You are dumb.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FuzzySkinner posted:

Seriously it's okay, you can just go and post on /pol/ about how ACTUALLY the left are the REAL NAZIS. It seems like you'd be a lot happier and no one here will miss you

FuzzySkinner posted:

being critical of antifa and preferring non violent resistance =/= being spineless.

Literally, unironically untrue right now. Like the opposite of true.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Crane Fist posted:

Seriously it's okay, you can just go and post on /pol/ about how ACTUALLY the left are the REAL NAZIS. It seems like you'd be a lot happier and no one here will miss you

No that's what you are.

What is your political ideology? Spit it the gently caress out moron .

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Non Serviam posted:

Devout faith in any established institution is the butterbrains that enables authoritarianism. The ACLU has its uses, but it is ineffective and out of its league against violent demonstrators who seek to deny the rights of everyone around them with no regard for civil liberties.

"His major assumption was that if you are nonviolent, if you suffer, your opponent will see your suffering and will be moved to change his heart. That's very good. He only made one fallacious assumption: In order for nonviolence to work, your opponent must have a conscience. The United States has none."

-Stokely Carmichael

Yeah what a ding dong I am relying on the history of the Black Panthers who were critical in bringing about the Civil Rights Act. How incredibly low-T I must be!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

FuzzySkinner posted:

No that's what you are.

lmao

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

NOT A NAZI, NOT A NAZI, YOU'RE THE NAZI!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

NOT A NAZI, NOT A NAZI, YOU'RE THE NAZI!

ONLY NAZIS WOULD NOT DEFEND THE RIGHTS OF NAZIS

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
mods thread changed to > Mock someone in thread thread

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FuzzySkinner posted:

No that's what you are.

I know you are but what am I

Hey I'm a fuckin Marxist, I grew up in a minority area of London, I went to a lot of punk and hardcore gigs and I was AFA for nearly a decade, I've literally fought nazis in the streets and at the clubs and in the pubs and I've taken my share of beatings and given more than a few in return, I've seen how nazis act when you don't stop them fast. I've seen how they start assaulting anyone who looks different, picking soft targets like women and teenagers out alone, how they start recruiting among the disenfranchised because it's a real persuasive pitch, and how if you loving smash them the first time they walk into your pub with an iron cross patch they don't come around any more and people are safer. You can't talk them down, the police won't help you, and anyone who says violence is the wrong response is a coward at best and a collaborator at worst

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Taintrunner posted:

imagine being in the nightmare that was the battle of Stalingrad hoveled up in some corner as your countrymen fight to the last corpse and some affluent shitheel declaring it was the toxic masculinity inherit to the Slavic identity that created this climate of violence, as the Wehrmacht are finally pushed to a standstill by Harry Potter cosplayers

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crane Fist posted:

Hey I'm a fuckin Marxist, I grew up in a minority area of London, I went to a lot of punk and hardcore gigs and I was AFA for nearly a decade, I've literally fought nazis in the streets and at the clubs and in the pubs and I've taken my share of beatings and given more than a few in return, I've seen how nazis act when you don't stop them fast. I've seen how they start assaulting anyone who looks different, picking soft targets like women and teenagers out alone, how they start recruiting among the disenfranchised because it's a real persuasive pitch, and how if you loving smash them the first time they walk into your pub with an iron cross patch they don't come around any more and people are safer. You can't talk them down, the police won't help you, and anyone who says violence is the wrong response is a coward at best and a collaborator at worst

thank gently caress someone here gets it

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Crane Fist posted:

Hey I'm a fuckin Marxist,

Ah, so you're mentally retarded. That explains a lot.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Really funny watching all of the petit bourgeois with no skin in the game getting butthurt and falling back to namecalling.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Really funny watching all of the petit bourgeois with no skin in the game getting butthurt and falling back to namecalling.

No, seriously, being a Marxist is loving stupid.

Edit. And, you know, we better get a posse going to bash the heads of the people proposing that other genocidal ideology.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Crane Fist posted:

Well I'm not a Marxist.

You're right. You and I are not on the same side. Kinda the beginning and end of it. Your goals are likely not the same with all due respect.

I didn't grow up in that environment, but I did grow up in an economically depressed area of Northeast Ohio. My goals are to seek economic and social changes via either reforming the democrats from within or allowing the DSA to grow into a fully fledged national party. (the latter seems more likely sadly)

A guy whom I like is someone like Bernie Sanders. Historically the people I looked up to are figures like MLK Jr. and FDR. (The latter is a very flawed man, but he's been the closest the US has ever had to someone who's enacted programs of social change to assist the poor).

I respect your right to hold your opinions, I think you deserve to have a voice and likely we have overlap on several matters of policy. HOWEVER...I don't think we're on quite the same page.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Non Serviam posted:

You should read about the idiotic court decision where that famous line comes from.

you should demand redress from the secret service for the closure of LF

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

got any sevens posted:

you should demand redress from the secret service for the closure of LF

I never posted there. I don't know what it was about.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

wrong thread lol

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Non Serviam posted:

Edit. And, you know, we better get a posse going to bash the heads of the people proposing that other genocidal ideology.

okay mister victims of communism please tell me about the deaths determined by the lowered birth rates caused as a result of late stage capitalism

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

liberals aren't your allies, folks

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

liberals aren't your allies, folks

trust only your fists

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Non Serviam posted:

"we"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

super cool that libs are a.) still espousing "dont do anything" and b.) taking credit for fash bashing

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I could be off base with this, but FuzzySkinner's posts have always given me the vibes of some young politically disengaged liberal who only recently became politically conscious. Stuff like the focus on how good FDR* was and what have you is very standard fare for left-liberals (including myself when I was in my early 20s or so). This isn't to say someone can't have a more informed support for left-liberalism (which is basically more highly regulated capitalism), but I'm not getting that feeling from FuzzySkinner's posts.

Free speech has never been a simple and static standard. There has always been speech that is considered unacceptable and illegal (like inciting someone to suicide or something), and it isn't really difficult to see why openly advocating political views that require harming many minority groups could fall under that category. This isn't to say you can't still disagree about disallowing a particular type of speech, but you should have some practical reason for doing so, because just asserting the existence of the first amendment doesn't cut it. There are already forms of speech that we think do more harm than good; why do you think the alt-right/Nazis don't fall under that description?

When I see this sort of opinion, it's usually just the result of a sort of reflexive liberal "common sense" that doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.

Oh, one thing I will say, though, is that I disagree with the "Naziism isn't political or an idea" stuff. That's loving dumb, of course it is. It's just that, you know, maybe some ideas actually shouldn't be allowed to be expressed publicly?

That brings to mind another angle of this I forgot to mention. When people support Antifa, that doesn't always mean they support actual government enforced laws against the speech in question. I'm sure some of them do, but supporting extralegal backlash against such speech doesn't necessarily mean you support the government cracking down on it. It's basically an extreme sort of censure.

* To be clear, moving in this general direction would be a good idea, but actual leftists realize FDR was just creating a compromise that would pacify the working class and allow capitalists to retain their relative power. It's better than nothing, but it's not the sort of thing you want to hold up as an example of true leftism or something.

Generally speaking, I consider left-liberals to be reasonable allies in the short to medium term, even if conflict with them is likely inevitable in the long term.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 20:25 on Aug 20, 2017

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
So if I meet someone who is on the fence about antifa or won't join them should I punch them because they're as bad as a Nazi

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

okay mister victims of communism please tell me about the deaths determined by the lowered birth rates caused as a result of late stage capitalism

I don't get the point of the question. Do you want to go bash the skulls of capitalists too?

Your response to the deaths of communism isn't even to deny them, it's to say "well what about other stuff!!"

At least you and your ilk are house bound cowards, so it's ok. No harm done.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Hemingway To Go! posted:

So if I meet someone who is on the fence about antifa or won't join them should I punch them because they're as bad as a Nazi

yes you should definitely do that, i definitely believe you will for the solid and good faith reasoning you arrived at this conclusion

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Non Serviam posted:

I don't get the point of the question. Do you want to go bash the skulls of capitalists too?

boy don't tempt us lol

libs have a difficult time dealing with whataboutism because they're used to just flat out denying everything bad that liberal democracies and constitutional monarchies have ever done. acknowledging the problematic history of their own ideology would just completely unravel their worldview

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 20:33 on Aug 20, 2017

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I could be off base with this, but FuzzySkinner's posts have always given me the vibes of some young politically disengaged liberal who only recently became politically conscious. Stuff like the focus on how good FDR* was and what have you is very standard fare for left-liberals (including myself when I was in my early 20s or so).

* To be clear, moving in this general direction would be a good idea, but actual leftists realize FDR was just creating a compromise that would pacify the working class and allow capitalists to retain their relative power. It's better than nothing, but it's not the sort of thing you want to hold up as an example of true leftism or something.

Generally speaking, I consider left-liberals to be reasonable allies in the short to medium term, even if conflict with them is likely inevitable in the long term.

Well yeah. I mean ultimately that's what it was. It did ultimately save the country from perhaps going into a 2nd revolution.

I'll be candid. I think that if the US doesn't try to enact a round 2 of those ideals? We'll likely see what was avoided during the 30's happen here.

I think we're still at this point in :911: society that we can ask for and get some of these changes via political means. But...the clock is ticking...and changes most ultimately come immediately rather than kicking them down the road like we saw from the Obama and Clinton administrations

I don't know how -likely- that is considering most centrist libs/dems refuse to admit there's real structural problems out there related to class. But they're gonna have to step the gently caress aside at this point.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Non Serviam posted:

clearly you have not read this thread or else you would have been able to put two and two together and realize that people are restricting defensive applications of violence to actual Nazis. Or maybe your skull is too small, maybe let one of the Nazis who you're copping for measure to find out

quote:

Your response to the deaths of communism isn't even to deny them, it's to say "well what about other stuff!!"

the "deaths of communism"

quote:

At least you and your ilk are house bound cowards, so it's ok. No harm done.

marxists in this very thread have detailed their history dealing with Nazis directly, dum-dum

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

FuzzySkinner posted:

Well yeah. I mean ultimately that's what it was. It did ultimately save the country from perhaps going into a 2nd revolution.

that's not a good thing

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Non Serviam posted:

Do you want to go bash the skulls of capitalists too?

lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

first they came for the nazis and i said nothing because i was not a nazi
then they came for the white nationalists and i said nothing because i was not a white nationalist
then they came for the capitalists and i said nothing because i was not a capitalist
then things were pretty ok after that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

clearly you have not read this thread or else you would have been able to put two and two together and realize that people are restricting defensive applications of violence to actual Nazis. Or maybe your skull is too small, maybe let one of the Nazis who you're copping for measure to find out

the "deaths of communism"

marxists in this very thread have detailed their history dealing with Nazis directly, dum-dum

I'm sure their name is. Albert Einstein as well.

And yes, millions died thanks to marxism. Way to pick your bedfellows.

• Locked thread