Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I think it's safe to say you should play the game instead of posting about how you don't want it spoiled for you .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Waaaiiit a minute. Wait a minute.

Is the player from Ending A and B behind the virus??

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I'm so confused can someone give like a brief paragraph synopsis of a-c

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Before we do that, it might help if you do this Amnesia side quest. I had questions here and it was suggested to me. Go to chapter select, go to 7-1, and the side quest can be triggered by talking to a person in a City Ruins building.

What's your understanding?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Taro Yoko.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mega64 posted:

Taro Yoko.

:yokotaro:

edit: Here is my spoiler free description of Nier Automata's endgame.

quote:

"Yoko-san, you can't put a button in your office that makes androids depressed!"

"Watch me! It's time for Route C! *drinks more liquor*"

:f5h::yokotaro:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 6, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

some guy on the bus posted:

Before we do that, it might help if you do this Amnesia side quest. I had questions here and it was suggested to me. Go to chapter select, go to 7-1, and the side quest can be triggered by talking to a person in a City Ruins building.

What's your understanding?

Haven't sold it yet i'll check that out!

About the story, let's see: cliche of mankind's creation also being the downfall of civilization a la Terminator, some sort of nuclear holocaust maybe? whoever was left went to go hang out on the moon while these android things mop up the robots left and there's a virus at some point but then come to find there's no more humans around and the organization was in on it

yeah sorry I don't really pay attention

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

About the story, let's see: cliche of mankind's creation also being the downfall of civilization a la Terminator, some sort of nuclear holocaust maybe? whoever was left went to go hang out on the moon while these android things mop up the robots left and there's a virus at some point but then come to find there's no more humans around and the organization was in on it

Are there any specific things/bullet points you want cleared up?

Looks like you missed that 2B is actually 2E (as in "Executor") and that she's been having to kill 9S every time he gets close to finding out that humanity is gone. A2 mentioning that went by pretty fast, but the Amnesia side quest, along with YoRHa betrayers and the memory of the Commander telling her to use 2B as a cover foreshadows it, and makes how she acts around 9S make waaaaay more sense, like her reaction to him almost dying in the prologue and "It always ends like this..."

I can't really think of anything else aside from some stuff about the Network.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

In regards to the first bit (spoilers for Nier 1, although most of it is explained in Automata) the disease that wipes out most of mankind is actually the work of a god from another dimension. The project gestalt documents you find in the recovery units go into detail about what humanity tried to do to combat this illness - basically the disease forced people to sell their soul and become a salt monster, or NOT sell their soul and just kinda turn into salt and die, so they decided they were just gonna separate human souls from their body, make a bunch of fake bodies (biological, not really androids) for themselves, and then just kinda hang around for hundreds of years until the disease went away. The fake bodies became sentient because that's kinda how things GO in the Nier universe, and they assumed the human souls (gestalts) were monsters, because gestalts had a nasty habit of going crazy and attacking people for no reason. Anyway, one rear end in a top hat ruined everything for everyone and long story all the gestalts and replicants are gone now.

Nier 1 had a lot of magic bullshit in it.

Zinkraptor fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 7, 2017

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Have you read all of the Lores? There's a new one that should be in your possession immediately after finishing C. It might explain some things.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Oh yeah, I forgot to say that it also turns out that there's no meaningful difference between the YoRHa androids and machines, since black boxes are made from machine cores and it was decided that it would be "unethical" to make androids with a proper AI that were ultimately supposed to die in battle.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

BaDandy posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that it also turns out that there's no meaningful difference between the YoRHa androids and machines, since black boxes are made from machine cores and it was decided that it would be "unethical" to make androids with a proper AI that were ultimately supposed to die in battle.

The very idea that anyone with meaningful power in any portion of the DrakenNierverse has ethics is the most surprising part of that.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I thought it was that they were a good power source and the disposability was just a post hoc justification for the whole hosed up enterprise

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

BaDandy posted:

Okay.

I finished the Gathering Keepsakes quest. The way the scene plays out in the Lunar Tear field took me completely by surprise (in a good way) and I don't know how to express why that is. I figured 9S would want to get flowers in memory of 2B but the way the scene played out, and maybe the music made it hit harder than normal, made me cry. Not tear up. I burst into tears and had to put my controller down. Everything was happening all at once before this and while I did hear that 2B would die before this, this little scene of 9S setting up the grave was so good. So good!!!

I had about the same reaction. 9S's little monologue was starting to make me tear up a little but the last line made me need to put the controller down for a couple minutes

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The Forest arena(from the DLC) is complete bullshit.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I finished the game. At least, I'm fairly sure those were the definitive credits.
Unspoiled since I went on full blackout on anything involving Automata (except the let's play).

My reactions:
:tviv:

Game of the year.
Strong contender for game of the decade.

I think I'll do a replay from scratch later on to get ALL the credits and then some, as I only got most of them this playthrough, some of the joke endings were a bit too trolly for my tastes (e.g. those at the end of long no-save sequences). For now, though, Persona 5 here I come.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Which ending did you get? Ending E is the last of the story endings.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

RatHat posted:

Which ending did you get? Ending E is the last of the story endings.

I was trying to avoid black bars, but yeah, I got E.
E: I mean I even called out the credits in my post

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
gently caress. I was all jazzed up to replay after letting it go for a few months then I remembered the controllable helplessness bit at the start of C. Uggggh

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nier: A occupies a strange place for me. It's sort of a "Ok, I got the best ending... do I really want to touch it again?" thing similar to Undertale.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

iospace posted:

Nier: A occupies a strange place for me. It's sort of a "Ok, I got the best ending... do I really want to touch it again?" thing similar to Undertale.

You're not alone :smith:

Well, except how I found Undertale to be boring and never cleared it. The DLC gave some new outfits which is always nice if not overpriced for it's value.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alder posted:

You're not alone :smith:

Well, except how I found Undertale to be boring and never cleared it. The DLC gave some new outfits which is always nice if not overpriced for it's value.

Undertale is a 12 hour game tops to get best ending though. I did it in two sittings.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

iospace posted:

Undertale is a 12 hour game tops to get best ending though. I did it in two sittings.

I read the wiki and I'm still :ghost:

I knew how the endings went for Nier:A but at least the entire journey was entertaining to some level except for 9S' hacking hell.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I finished ending C for the first time yesterday. Nier: Automata is incredible. I really loved how well the game handled the themes of existentialism and philosophy regarding the meaning or value of life. I also loved how the game got me to go from being annoyed by 9S to actually really liking him.

Both NieR games have done an incredible thing in that I actually cared about nearly every character in both games. Except Adam. God, what an rear end in a top hat.

My only criticism is that I would rather not have to hack anything ever again.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
Go do endings D and E right now. They are important, and you can chapter select right to the end of the game.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The Skeleton King posted:

I finished ending C for the first time yesterday. Nier: Automata is incredible. I really loved how well the game handled the themes of existentialism and philosophy regarding the meaning or value of life. I also loved how the game got me to go from being annoyed by 9S to actually really liking him.

Both NieR games have done an incredible thing in that I actually cared about nearly every character in both games. Except Adam. God, what an rear end in a top hat.

My only criticism is that I would rather not have to hack anything ever again.

Hacking's not so bad if you cheat and use the auto-assist chips. I'd hesitate to call it 'fun" because you're basically holding a button and watching someone else play, but it's over fast at least

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Bogart posted:

gently caress. I was all jazzed up to replay after letting it go for a few months then I remembered the controllable helplessness bit at the start of C. Uggggh

The best part of the whole game? What about it?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
It lasts less than 10 minutes if you know where you're going.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I hated that part too, to be honest. I hosed up a couple of times and fell in the pit. There's really no way out if you do that. You can't even climb the ladder. So then you have to wait out the timer before you can try again. And even when I didn't fall in the pit, it was super annoying to not be able to defend myself against the machines attacking me on the way.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

You could just reload your save, considering there's a convenient savepoint right at the exit from the flooded city.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
If you're talking about what I think y'all talking 'bout, that was the first point in the game where I died aside from early deer death

Awful. Just awful.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Jesus christ. Got ending D. Blown away again.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

...! posted:

You can't even climb the ladder.

You can, in fact, do this thing you claim cannot be done. I know this, as I accomplished said thing my first time through

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

...! posted:

I hated that part too, to be honest. I hosed up a couple of times and fell in the pit. There's really no way out if you do that. You can't even climb the ladder. So then you have to wait out the timer before you can try again. And even when I didn't fall in the pit, it was super annoying to not be able to defend myself against the machines attacking me on the way.

I died at least 3 times on it but it just made me love it even more. It's perfect for the story that it's a struggle. It becomes pretty easy though once you realize that the time they give you is generous and you should wait in safe spots until you're able to move again.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I gave up climbing the ladder after being stunned off it the third time only getting 1/3rd the way up it, chalked it up to an unintended consequence of the sequence and reloaded.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

I gave up climbing the ladder after being stunned off it the third time only getting 1/3rd the way up it, chalked it up to an unintended consequence of the sequence and reloaded.

I'm not sure player suffering is ever wholely unintended in a Taro Yoko game.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
Bump and a friendly reminder that if you haven't purchased and beaten this game yet, you're an rear end in a top hat.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

rear end posted:

Bump and a friendly reminder that if you haven't purchased and beaten this game yet, you're an rear end in a top hat.

I work 16 hour shifts on average 6 days a week. I have no time :(

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
You work 96 hours a week? Are you a cook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

rear end posted:

Beaten twice and is still my 2nd ranked GOTY. :colbert: