Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

GRRM kind of fucks himself over in not making a clear outline and following it. He writes on a chapter by chapter basis and the story evolves and changes from there.

Which is why I think, even with the ending given to the showrunners, it's more likely to be way different in the books by virtue of how GRRM is always altering poo poo as he goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

basic hitler posted:

I'm a nerd who helps keep chatacters together and plot points fresh and all that for my sisters and parents and a few less nerdy friends. I whine a lot on here but i would rather let people in real life enjoy their titty dragons, so i keep my discontentment to myself. They may need help keeping it all together but my small sample size is all very loving unhappy at how dumb and brainless the show has become. Yeah people like the action scenes but this season's pacing has done nothing but seriously anger nearly everyone i know who watches this show, the dialogue has been a recurring joke since season 5 at least.

All the reviews of the show are loving the new direction and as I say people here are also loving it. I've not heard anything negative.

It's a shame, it deserves that. Especially considering how Walking Dead has drawn a lot of criticism in the last seasons and I'd say this is doing the same sort of stupid lazy storytelling.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

just think of all the tragic loss of tits in this show
Margaery
Ros
That Sand Snakes Chick who tortured Bronn
Shae

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Taear posted:

All the reviews of the show are loving the new direction and as I say people here are also loving it. I've not heard anything negative.

It's a shame, it deserves that. Especially considering how Walking Dead has drawn a lot of criticism in the last seasons and I'd say this is doing the same sort of stupid lazy storytelling.

I feel like trusting early reviews as a barometer of quality and overall reception is a bad idea. Do critics get early screenings? I don't pay attention to that stuff because early reviews are consistently wrong in hindsight. We will probably have to wait for series end and retrospectives to come out before the critical world really starts to sour on these episodes.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think HBO stopped giving reviewers screeners for GoT after the first four episodes of season 5 (or was it 6?) leaked before the premiere.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Shneak posted:

Is Varys killed off in the spoilers? That's all I care for anymore.

per spoilers the only big kill in the season finale is Littlefinger

though several secondary characters are left in a Bad Spot when viseryon brings down the Wall, some of whom will presumably die in the season 8 premier

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
So currently nobody is running Dorne or the Riverlands?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Bates posted:

Nymeria run Bartertown the Riverlands

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's already established that the death of nobles sometimes makes entire armies evaporate so maybe dorne just dissolved, who knows.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Bates posted:

Ser Gerold Dayne is running Dorne in my head cannon and no one can tell me otherwise.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

GaussianCopula posted:

AFFC and ADWD are great books and I will fight everyone who disagrees.

You can even see the fault lines in the show that open up wherever they did not follow their plot - like Dorne, LF being a dumb idiot, Cersei and Euron forming unholy alliance, Jorah getting greyscale and whatever notAsha is up to.

I also wonder how many bullet points GRRM gave them. If I remember correctly they said last season that they got 3 big reveals from him, one of those being Jon's parents, one being Hodor and the third is still unknown - so all they might have with regards to the ending might be "Dany on her dragon kills the NK but dies, the 7 kingdoms fracture into 7 kingdoms again".

isn't the third point that Shireen gets sacrificed?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

mastershakeman posted:

isn't the third point that Shireen gets sacrificed?

You are right, that was one of the 3 (Jon is really not that shocking I guess) but the last is "from the very end"

http://ew.com/article/2016/05/24/george-rr-martin-3-twists-game-thrones/

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Bates posted:

This reminds me, is Dorne no longer supporting Dany or something? It's not like their head castle was wiped out like with higharden, all that happened was their leaders (lol at ellaria sand, a random mistress of the king's brother, becoming the leader of dorne) were captured. Why does this mean Dorne is out of the picture, does the kingdom no longer hate the lannisters or something? Why isn't whoever is next in line supporting dany with troops to attack kings landing? The show implies that Ellaria and the sand snakes getting captured completely removed Dorne from the picture for some reason(?) I guess you could assume that caused them to get locked into a civil war or something but the show never bothers to even have a single line of dialogue stating such.

e: I suspect in the books Shireen is going to get sacrificed in order to revive Jon. I'm not surprised the show wouldn't want to do that since they wouldn't want their marketable fan favorite character's continued existence to come at the cost of burning a little girl. The flip side of doing something like that is it gives an actual cost to jon's death and revival and inherently shows why he wouldn't just be revived constantly every time he dies, an issue the show was forced to deal with by having Jon ask to not be brought back instead.

e2: I really hate DwD for having it's climax basically cut from the book. Imagine reading clash of kings except the blackwater battle result is left ambigious and is pushed into storm of swords.

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 20, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

shireen being sacrificed was dumb i wonder if it'll be as dumb in the books.

i guess we'll never know.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

So It Goes posted:

This reminds me, is Dorne no longer supporting Dany or something? It's not like their head castle was wiped out like with higharden, all that happened was their leaders (lol at ellaria sand, a random mistress of the king's brother, becoming the leader of dorne) were captured. Why does this mean Dorne is out of the picture, does the kingdom no longer hate the lannisters or something? Why isn't whoever is next in line supporting dany with troops to attack kings landing? The show implies that Ellaria and the sand snakes getting captured completely removed Dorne from the picture for some reason(?) I guess you could assume that caused them to get locked into a civil war or something but the show never bothers to even have a single line of dialogue stating such.

castles, cities and countries are all the same

dorne does not exist outside of the alhambra set where all of the dorne scenes were shot. the dornish army Dany wanted was those 4-5 guards who were there

those guys are still down, it's just that nobody has come by to tell them what's up

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Somebody mentioned Kevan and that reminded me, what happened to him in the show? Did he go back to run Casterly Rock or did they show Varys killing him? I don't think the latter, Varys was on the boat to Essos with Tyrion in the wine crate. I honestly do not recall.

And if he was supposed to be at the Rock.. uh...

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Propaganda Machine posted:

Somebody mentioned Kevan and that reminded me, what happened to him in the show? Did he go back to run Casterly Rock or did they show Varys killing him? I don't think the latter, Varys was on the boat to Essos with Tyrion in the wine crate. I honestly do not recall.

And if he was supposed to be at the Rock.. uh...

He was at the Sept.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Wow, savage.

And now we're back with the Sept incident being consequence-free. Tyrion is kinslayer, but not Cersei? Okay.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Wow, savage.

And now we're back with the Sept incident being consequence-free. Tyrion is kinslayer, but not Cersei? Okay.

Sept was officially an accident. Whatever power keeps Cersei on the thrones probably also enforces this narrative.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Sept was officially an accident. Whatever power keeps Cersei on the thrones probably also enforces this narrative.

They literally showed The Mountain going around killing people who spoke up against her, so yes.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

etalian posted:

just think of all the tragic loss of tits in this show
Margaery
Ros
That Sand Snakes Chick who tortured Bronn
Shae

TYENE IS ALIVE. BRONN WILL SAVE HER AND THEY WILL RIDE OFF IN TO THE SUNSET TOGETHER.

*runs off crying*

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

Groovelord Neato posted:

shireen being sacrificed was dumb i wonder if it'll be as dumb in the books.

i guess we'll never know.

ive thought for awhile that mel sacrifices shireen to revive jon and tells selsye its to help stannis. not sure what happens with the battle of winterfell, but stannis comes back and kills selsye over the sacrifice and then takes the black. Ends up the 1000th lord commander. Not sure what happens with mel.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

WampaLord posted:

They literally showed The Mountain going around killing people who spoke up against her, so yes.

This is good storytelling and I feel pretty dumb now, but it's just sad that subtle, decent stuff like this gets lost in the schlock. Everything is so overwrought and stupid that I don't even pay attention to detail anymore.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Stannis is coming back?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Stannis is coming back?

i think they're talking book poo poo

jon is still dead for book readers :laugh:

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Constant posted:

i think they're talking book poo poo fan fiction

jon is still dead for book readers :laugh:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
anybody got the spoilers for this episode

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Phi230 posted:

anybody got the spoilers for this episode

Yeah.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

care 2 share?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Phi230 posted:

care 2 share?

Littlefinger dies, wall comes down, Cersei is a oval office, Jaime gets over her whole deal, Mountain and Hound make eye contact.

Also boat sex and R+L wedding

radlum
May 13, 2013
Has it been confirmed that Season 8 is gonna be on 2019 or is it still unclear?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Littlefinger dies, wall comes down, Cersei is a oval office, Jaime gets over her whole deal, Mountain and Hound make eye contact.

oh word

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Mountain and Hound make eye contact.

i-it's not like I like you gregor-san :blush:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

radlum posted:

Has it been confirmed that Season 8 is gonna be on 2019 or is it still unclear?

No one knows yet.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If "winters only happen because of the WWs" isn't true, it should be. It makes far too much sense.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Also boat sex and R+L wedding

Isn't that next week?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Phi230 posted:

care 2 share?

I wasn't sure if you were serious. Thoros of Myr and all the redshirts on the expedition die, the Night King kills one of Dany's dragons with an ice javelin, there's the worst case of teleportation in the series yet, dissatisfied Sam steals books and flees the Citadel, Sansa finds Arya's faces, and the Night King raises the dead dragon to serve him.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The whole situation in the north seems like it will go drastically differently than the show. Ramsay isn't some stache twirling super villain in the books and Stannis isn't incompetent enough to march his army right into a huge enemy army.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
How did she know where to fly north to find them anyway? How many frozen lakes could even be above the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Clearly, Gendry included coordinates in his letter for her to punch into Drogon's GPS.

• Locked thread