Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

https://twitter.com/VFHIVE/status/899365437594636288

quote:

One former top State Department staffer and national security official who worked closely with secretaries of state in previous administrations and left the agency recently, said that, in the past, there were always senior foreign service or career civil service officers in attendance at internal policy meetings and external meetings with foreign ministers or heads of state, because they were the policy experts. “You simply do not have that under Tillerson. You’re talking about making policy with people who—no disrespect to them—just have no experience or expertise in that particular area,” the former official told me. “If you’re talking about going to war with North Korea, presumably you want someone who can not only find North Korea on a map but knows something about the leadership, knows about the dynamics with South Korea, with China, with Japan, understands how the U.N. is working. I just don’t think any of the people you listed have any clue about how that works.”

quote:

“It’s interesting, because there is this very close-hold nature of everything where it doesn’t really lead to good or subtle policy development, because you’re not tapping any of the expertise that you need to do that, or even the long-term thinking to do that,” the recently departed top official explained. “You end up with policies that are very much—for want of a better term—PowerPoint policies on things.” Ironically, Tillerson, described as very “data driven,” is said to love PowerPoint decks rather than memos to outline policy, occasionally “scribbling” directly on them and not circulating them electronically—similar to Trump’s reported habit of replying to e-mails by writing on the hard copies, having them photocopied and sent by an assistant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Apraxin posted:

https://twitter.com/gooeyblob/status/899354587479498752
doctor help me, my sides are splitting from too much hilarious conservative humor

why did the conservative comedian wear an eye patch?
his friend accidentally poked him in the eye while giving a nazi salute

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

i gotta get that pic of me rolling a joint on my guitar with a coaster and a glass of syrup on it

:nitecrew:

quote aint edit
fucks aint given

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXoGNtRBVhL/?taken-by=instantrecall

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

trump is loving us up for generations?

hot take!!

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Spoondick posted:

why did the conservative comedian wear an eye patch?
his friend accidentally poked him in the eye while giving a nazi salute

more like chelCP Manning

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

i gotta get that pic of me rolling a joint on my guitar with a coaster and a glass of syrup on it

:nitecrew:

But aren't drugs bad, bret?

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

funco walk with me

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Lastgirl posted:

Trump on Afghanistan: Metal Geyur Bigly :yooge:

Many Sides okay, Many Sides to these Proxy Wars

Metal Gear REX Tillerson :stare::stare::stare::stare::stare:

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/spnbmb/status/899353902235000832

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

oddium posted:

home movies was the best cartoon

Venture Bros
Space Ghost
-----
-------
----
Home Movies
----
admittedly most other "good cartoons"

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Frisky Dingo and Archer and Rick and Morty ate good shows. So is Steven Universe. There are a lot of good shows on tv.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Thatim posted:

But aren't drugs bad, bret?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7VsoxT_FUY

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

http://i.imgur.com/5Khej8C.gifv

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Reality Winner posted:

the horrifying part is that the law allows using deadly force to protect inanimate objects

gotta protect that capital somehow :v:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Oiled and Ready posted:

Venture Bros
Space Ghost
-----
-------
----
Home Movies
----

spoken as a non-frisky dingo watcher

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Oiled and Ready posted:

Venture Bros
Space Ghost
-----
-------
----
Home Movies
----

Oh man I forgot about venture Bros and space ghost. Also adventure time.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

oddium posted:

home movies was the best cartoon

home movies aint even the best cartoon in squigglevision

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

LegoMan posted:

So is Steven Universe.

:whitewater:

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Futurama is also good.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

what's with all the praxis lately

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

steven unvierse and advnetur time is for children yo

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Just watch dragonball super

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Listen man I saw pictures for it and put it off for a long time but it's a good show to watch with the kids.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Oh I forgot goons don't have kids

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
the president of the united states announces a big speech on america's longest war ever

and nobody knows what he's going to say

or even what subject he'll talk about

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

LegoMan posted:

Futurama is also good.

i remember enjoying it greatly at one time when it didnt remind me of extratextual things

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

home movies aint even the best cartoon in squigglevision

it is a very good show in squigglevision though

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Jose posted:

spoken as a non-frisky dingo watcher

I knew this was gonna happen

I almost edited it in at #2, but since I haven't watched it yet I felt that would be a hollow gesture

I did like the first two episodes, watched 'em a few weeks ago, but I haven't gotten around to getting into it with a proper binge yet

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
Is there something humus doesnt taste great on?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

LegoMan posted:

Oh I forgot goons don't have kids

hey when youre a complete failure of a human being in every other way thats not rly somewhere to aim for success

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Clone High seems pretty darn c-spam

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

i remember enjoying it greatly at one time when it didnt remind me of extratextual things

Everyone thought it was just going to be Simpsons in space but it was a vastly superior show. Kaptainkristian made a good video about the people behind making it.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Weeping Wound posted:

it is a very good show in squigglevision though

yeah it aint like every t v show can haz laura silverman :allears:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

MadJackal posted:

South Park's inability to react to and lampoon Trump's rise is the greatest failure of Matt and Trey's careers.

They kind of did. There's an entire episode in season 19 about a hypothetical Donny presidency of Canada that is a disaster, and results in mass immigration of Canadians to the USA. He's also only voted in as a "joke" that goes too far.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

hey when youre a complete failure of a human being in every other way thats not rly somewhere to aim for success

Biologically speaking I have succeeded at life

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

LegoMan posted:

Everyone thought it was just going to be Simpsons in space but it was a vastly superior show. Kaptainkristian made a good video about the people behind making it.

oh yeah its way the gently caress better than simpsons its like, as good as the original homer j simpson def a mf'in day of the locust sort of horror permeates it, suicide booths bloodsport and all

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
So Trump's going to speak about America's engagements in Afghanistan and South Asia tomorrow at 9PM.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hmm wow business leaders aren't very smart or functional wow huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

Duscat posted:

the president of the united states announces a big speech on america's longest war ever

and nobody knows what he's going to say

or even what subject he'll talk about

Yeah uh you got some better idea? As in, a press release that will result in better ratings than "Howdy Americans! Tune in tomorrow night, because our lives could be taking a collective turn in one of an infinite number of directions, or maybe just no direction at all! You better just stay tuned, and don't forget to pray for no whammies, ladies and gentlemen!"

• Locked thread