Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~

quote:

“We’ll get them back or my name isn’t Phineas Z. Smeltzenseltzer!” you say.

“But your name isn’t Phineas Z. Smeltzenseltzer,” Todd answers.

I hate it when books just make assumptions about the reader like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

PZ Smeltzenseltzer posted:

:eyepop: Holy wow.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

:eyepop:

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
Everything about this is loving amazing.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"Okay, you little gnat," you snarl at the troll. "Your number is up!"

Using your new-found super strength, you pull a tree up by its roots. You swing it with the ease of a flyswatter. But just as the tree is about to swat the troll, he magically disappears.

"Ahahahahahahahahahahaha!" roars the pint-sized pest. He is now standing behind you. His laughter is even more annoying than the howl of the werewolves. And his whistle is more powerful than any muscles.

"Tweeeeeeeeeeee!" the troll's piercing whistle vibrates inside your ear. You return to your original skinny body. Your mega-muscles disappear. You quickly drop the tree. You are now powerless to resist the troll's orders.

"I am the Master of the Box, and I command you to go back to your cabin!" the troll says. Then he whistles again.

You head back to Evergreen Cabin. Todd and Lauren watch in disbelief. You're in a trance!

"Don't leave us!" Todd cries after you.

quote:

"Don't leave us," the troll imitates Todd's cries. "Hahahahahahahahahaha! Your friend is useless to you now," he taunts Todd. "Useless! Hahahahahahahahaha!"

With his magic, the troll makes himself smaller. Then bigger. Then even smaller. He jumps from rock to rock changing his size with each jump. One minute he is the size of a gorilla. The next minute he's the size of a rat.

"Come back!" Todd shouts to you. "Please, come back!"

Are you strong enough to resist the troll's trance?

If you can do five push-ups, go to PAGE 26.

If you can't do five push-ups, go to PAGE 120.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Super-Strength O's

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
Dropped Todd down a bottomless pit.
Gave the book the chance to pull some "all just a dream" bullshit on us.
Turned into a paper lantern because we failed a literature quiz.
Pressed a button that stopped the entire story, because of course it loving did.
Gyzacck!

Achievements
Dick Move, Bro: Deliberately let Todd fall into the bottomless pit, just to be a jerk.
Gyzacck: Gyzacck? Gyzacck.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
We are clearly a weakling.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
Really? Five pushups? That's the test of our indomitable will?

We can do a full SIX pushups before collapsing in a puddle of our own sweat.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010
Any kid reading this was like 10 years old and geeky. We can't.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

100 pushups, 100 situps, 100 squats, and a 10 KM run!

Every day!

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
I can do like three and a half.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Of course we can do five push-ups!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

chiasaur11 posted:

100 pushups, 100 situps, 100 squats, and a 10 KM run!

Every day!

We're in the army now!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Werewolves are just astonishingly peripheral to this story. They mostly seem to exist at the border of some other scene to get the protagonists to run towards a magic troll box or a pterodactyl dream elevator or something. Anyway we can't do five pushups.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

We're the weakling nerd now!

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I could totally do more than 5 push-ups when I read these

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Tied, next person takes it.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I CANT DO IT NOOO

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

googling that name and the only results are this book and some fanfiction so uhhhh holy poo poo

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

The troll's trance is too powerful. You've never felt so helpless, so weak, so weird!

"Go back to your cabin and await further instruction. I will be seeing you," the troll's hypnotic voice repeats in your mind. "Go back. Go back. Go back."

The troll controls your steps in the direction of the cabin. You climb onto the porch and open the door to Evergreen Cabin. Your parents and the Morrises are not home yet. No one has even noticed that you and Todd are not in bed.

In your mind you hear the troll's voice giving you all your instructions. You have no choice but to obey. You are in his power. You move mechanically to the bathroom to brush your teeth. You reach for the toothpaste. Instead your hand wraps around the leg of the troll!

quote:

"Release my leg at once!" the troll demands. You open your hand, and he disappears completely. For a second you think you are free of his control.

"Tweeeeet!" comes his shrill whistle from behind you. At the sound of it you feel a renewed loss of power. "You must do what I tell you to do. You must get the red tin box for me. Inside the box there are enemies of the trolls," the troll declares. "I must have the box to control those enemies and protect the entire nation of trolls."

"There are other trolls?" you ask.

"Shhhh! The slave does not speak to the Master!" shouts the troll. "Where is the box? I command you to tell me now!"

"I don't have it," you say. "My friends and I are looking for it, too."

"Silence!" the troll sputters. "You must search everywhere for the box. Search the cabins. Search the WoodsWorld community center. Go now!"

If you decide to search the cabins first, hurry to PAGE 76.

If you'd rather search the community center first, go to PAGE 60.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Super-Strength O's

Bad Endings
Pressed a button that stopped the entire story, because of course it loving did.
Gyzacck!

Achievements
Dick Move, Bro: Deliberately let Todd fall into the bottomless pit, just to be a jerk.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Are we in this book now?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Search the cabins.

risky business
Oct 9, 2012

Barns?
Why does the troll want us to brush our teeth? Why was he there to be grabbed instead? If he's in complete control, why didn't he just immediately go "hey go hunt for the box?"

I give up. Search the cabins.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Wasn't this supposed to be about werewolves? This sucks. Let's go to the cabin and head to bed

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 20, 2017

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You have no power over your own actions. The choice has been made for you. You are going to search the cabins of WoodsWorld. The troll orders you to start your search with the cabin that is farthest away. You follow the path to a small log cabin deep in the woods. There is a sign hanging on a post in front of the cabin. It reads DOCTOR W. WOLFF.

Before you can sneak up to the door, it opens.

quote:

"Good evening," purrs a deep, velvety-smooth voice. "I've been expecting you."

"Expecting me? You have?" you gulp. You squint into the blackness, trying to see who is talking. But it is too dark.

"When the full moon is out, I always expect good things to come to my door," the voice says slowly.

"Maybe you can help me, doctor," you say nervously. "You see, I'm looking for a box that belongs to my friend. A red tin box. We've been searching all night, but we ran into some trouble."

"Trouble?" says the voice from the shadows.

"Wolves. Well, more like um... uh... werewolves to be exact," you explain.

"Werewolves, eh?" the deep voice says. The door opens wider. The doctor steps out into the light of the full moon. There's only one thing for you to do now - SCREAM!

quote:

In the light of the full moon you see the doctor's face. Long, coarse hair covers his forehead, cheeks, and chin. His eyes flash like a red fire. Fangs glisten as he opens his mouth - ready to bite.

Your screams fill the night air. But no one can hear you so far away. Behind you a gate comes crashing down around the cabin. There is no escape. The search for Todd's red tin box has brought you right to the werewolves of WoodsWorld. And also right to

THE END

Despite normally being mindless beasts, werewolves are known for their ability to impersonate licensed medical professionals in order to execute elaborate surprise attacks. Their only weakness is a pathological inability to pick a subtle pseudonym.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Super-Strength O's

Bad Endings
Gyzacck!
:siren:Ambushed by a werewolf masquerading as a doctor.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Enter the cave.
  • Howl at the werewolves.
  • Fly up to the werewolves.
  • Open the Smarts Box.
  • Break free of the troll's spell.
  • Search the communuity center.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Search the community center.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

At least this ending had something to do with werewolves. Next, how about searching the community centre?

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWEvp217Tzw

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rebonack7 posted:

Despite normally being mindless beasts, werewolves are known for their ability to impersonate licensed medical professionals in order to execute elaborate surprise attacks. Their only weakness is a pathological inability to pick a subtle pseudonym.

I knew we should have consulted with Doctor Acula instead.

They didn't say the five pushups had to be in a row

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You feel yourself being drawn toward the community center. This is the building where guests at WoodsWorld meet to play cards, use the library, socialize, and eat at the snack bar or cafeteria.

You hear laughter and voices inside the community center building. Then you hear Mrs. Morris talking to your mom, "I just know this vacation is going to open Todd up to so many new experiences. He'll really grow from it!"

She can say that again! you think to yourself.

But you're not allowed to think to yourself. The troll is doing your thinking for you now. He is in your mind, controlling every move you make.

You tiptoe past the doorway to the big activity room where your parents, the Morrises, and Mr. and Mrs. Woods are all playing cards. Seeing them suddenly makes you want to run and tell them all about your troll troubles. Do you dare?

quote:

"Well," you hear your mom saying as you inch closer to her, "I just think we're awfully lucky to have such good kids. It's nice to know we can always trust them to do the right thing."

The right thing. The right thing. The right thing. Your mother's voice echoes in your head.

"Don't listen to her!" the troll cries. He pops into view and stands on a hat rack next to you. "I am your master now!" he shouts. "You will obey me!"

"Yes, Master," you reply. It's useless to argue. You have no super-strength when it comes to fighting off the will of the troll.

The troll orders you to search the library. The box could be buried under books. You sneak past the card players. The library door has a giant padlock on it. You can't budge it.

I could really use those super-strength muscles now, you think.

quote:

"Done!" the troll's voice booms in your head. Instantly you feel your arms begin to bulge with super-strength. For the second time tonight, you are turning into a super muscle-bound kid. The transformation is complete. Your whole body is muscles on top of muscles on top of muscles.

The padlock breaks off with hardly a turn of your hand. Rrrrrrrrip! You tear down the heavy library door.

Uh-oh! The noise brings your parents running to see what's going on. Get out of here fast, so the troll doesn't get them too!

If you duck into the library, go to PAGE 131.

If you head for the woods, race to PAGE 73.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Super-Strength O's

Bad Endings
Gyzacck!
Ambushed by a werewolf masquerading as a doctor.

Achievements

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Duck into the library.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Library, I guess.

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~
Let’s head for the library.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

Quickly, you duck into the library. Your giant muscles make it easy for you to put the door back into the doorway. No one can even see that it was removed. You hear your parents' voices outside the door. You want to answer. The troll appears on a table next to you.

"Do not reveal your master!" he snaps.

You can see that the troll is getting ready to whistle and make your muscles disappear. Before he has the chance to pucker up his fat lips, you pick up a wastebasket. You throw the basket over the troll. Then you plop a heavy dictionary on top of the basket to hold it down.

The whistling begins. You feel yourself weakening just a little. You lean against a bookshelf. Without warning, the wall of books begins to move! The next thing you know you're standing on the other side of the wall!

quote:

There is a secret room on the other side of the wall. In the room you can't hear the troll's controlling whistle anymore. You feel your incredible strength returning.

You flex your muscles just to test them out. You wait until it seems safe, then you decide to push the bookshelf back.

Using one shoulder, you give the wall a shove.

It doesn't move. You push and shove with all your might. Nothing. Too bad. It looks as if the revolving bookcase locked behind you. Well, you do have these super-duper muscles - you could break down the wall. Or you could go down that stone staircase that you've just spied in the corner of this secret room. Hmmmmm... interesting choice.

Break the wall? Crash through to PAGE 128.

Take the stairs to who-knows-where? Go to PAGE 69.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Super-Strength O's

Bad Endings
Gyzacck!

Achievements

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Look. We aren't getting a lot of joy out of this book. Don't deny us the simple pleasures where they still exist.

69, dudes!

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

There's no really good reason to go back into the library yet, take the stairs.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Stairs!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

lol 69 posted:

You decide to take the stairs to who-knows-where. You take a few steps down.

The good news about your muscles is that they make you feel very powerful. The bad news is, they make you feel very stuck in this narrow staircase!

Your huge shoulders wedge between the two stone walls of the stairway. You head down, down, down, into a cellar you never knew existed. You hear voices coming from somewhere even further down.

"That troll is in complete control. We have no choice but to destroy everything in his power," Todd tells Lauren. "Friend or no friend, we have to save WoodsWorld."

What? you think. My own friends want to destroy me?

You've got to get out of here and prove that you are not working for the troll anymore. But how?

If you go back upstairs and break through the wall, go to PAGE 128.

If you hurry to the bottom of the stairs to face Lauren and Todd, race to PAGE 107.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Super-Strength O's

Bad Endings
Gyzacck!

Achievements

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Talking to our friends certainly won't cause any problems whatsoever. Yep, there are absolutely no issues with this plan.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Todd would never betray us. Talk to him. We can iron this out, Todd! We can make this work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Hurry down the stairs.