Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Hunter did nothing wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Stronger brothers... :smith:

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008
I'm really enjoying watching the game - I'm terrible at metroidvanias due to my poo poo reflexes - and the mood and asthetics are just right.

I know this is a while back, but I have a mnemonic for stalactites and stalagmites. Stalactites cling tightly, while Stalagmites stand mightily. I remember hearing that from some weird children's cartoon while growing up, and it's always stuck with me.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
I need to get a mod to rename this thread "Let's talk about Stalagmites in Hollow Knight"

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Please don't encourage us.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

At some point, you may want to do a lap through Fungal Wastes (including the core) wearing the Spore Shroom charm. You'll get interactions out of some background objects here and there in the zone, that normally just look like rotted-out tree stumps. For an example of an inactive one you can look at 14:02-ish in episode 15.

The charm's effect applies to that thing in the geo motherlode pit in Kingdom's Edge, though you might as well save that until the video near the end when you show off the rest of the content related to that.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I had gotten this game in the summer sale and finally got it to 100%. It's drat good.

The one thing that's driving me nuts about this runthrough, though:

You know you can kill the Belflies (the kamikaze chirpy jerks) with your nail, right? When they swoop down, strike upwards at them. You have the Mark of Pride equipped most of the time so it should be easier. You knock the explosion away and look like a total badass when you do it.

I'm not sure how you managed a part of the game without doing that, there's some places where there's really not any way to dodge them.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update: Episode 16- Deepnest

Well, after all the hype we're finally here.

Deepnest is two things: confined, and HUGE. A lot of your time will be spent navigating the twists and turns of each cavernous zone trying to make your way to the first of three Watchers. Luckily, aside from the watcher, there's still a variety of content: You can fight two bosses, you can progress Zote & Cloth's stories if you are aware of them, you can find a bus pass to open up certain facets of the game world, and somewhere around here is a 20ft tall canadian lumberjack helping out with America's railroad.

Glowing Womb is weird. As I mentioned in the video, its very much a boss-killing trinket. I personally like it a lot; it offers up a unique way to play the game with its own upsides and downsides, and as a bonus offers up some hilarious AI goofs. It definetly can be a huge issue though: your healing is effectively gone unless you start scamming enemies for Focus, and you are basically consolidating all your spell options into psuedo-Homing Soul Mass. It also proudly gets buffed by the Dung Defender badge by making STANK BABIES.

As for Nosk, I'm a little bummed out I missed his fight changes. I remember thinking he was really lame before, and now that he got way more lethal I'll have to check him out sometime.

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

Ground pound gives tons of invincibility frames. It's really good on Nosk and a lot of other bosses, but you have to slam right into them or pretty close. You have close to a full second to get away if you land inside the boss's body.

You only get the Zote achievement if you leave him in Greenpath the first time. He'll chill out in Deepnest forever if you leave him.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The village at the nest's heart. Yeah, those big ol' web orbs actually looked kind of civilized, or at least calm.

Given how Paul Bunyan was kind of a Manifest Destiny dude, he probably logged an rear end-ton of railroad ties at some point.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

as a heads up you can keep going back to talk to the midwife in deepnest. she has more things to say, with some little scraps of background info as well, but it all inevitably ends up with her trying to eat you. you can also pop her in the face and it causes her mask to shut again, at which point she disappears into the wall.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Oh boy, spider hell.

I still have no idea how to reliably fight the big armored dudes in the weaver nest. Short of spell abuse.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

One of the key parts of the John Henry story is that he dies from the effort. So a common everyman fights industrialization and buys people's livelihoods back, but pays his physical life to do so.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Didn't Paul get screwed over by a machine as well? I distinctly remember that in the Disney short, he made a bet that a machine couldn't match him and lost by a narrow margin forcing him to spend the rest of his days in Alaska.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Your description of fatherhood from the glowing womb badge reminded me of Dadholes.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So here's what I hate about Deepnest: I can stomach ambushes, I can stomach stylized cartoony spider, I can stomach not being able to see poo poo until it tries to kill me. What really got me is the goddamn foreground effect where a spider occassionally skitters across your screen.
I played this whole section as far away from the screen as possible and I still dread coming back there on subsequent playthroughs.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Deepnest is REALLY good at being atmospheric and creepy as hell, but it seriously could stand to be about half as big.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Needs more spiders. And CJacobs to co-commentate.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Lazy Bear posted:

Needs more spiders. And CJacobs to co-commentate.

I don't know about the second part but don't worry, the spider quotient will be fulfilled.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

demons souls and bloodborne are DEFINITELY some of the tightest experiences when it comes to that stuff out of the whole fromsoft catalog. there being 3 dark souls games meant that things started drifting away at breakneck speed as they went along and layers upon layers were put in place.

i like the way all the games present that sort of background info but it's nice when there's games like hollow knight that are relatively self-contained with how they portray stuff.

ideally there would never have been actual numbered sequels to dark souls, and i say that as somebody who still loves 2 and 3 a whole hell of a lot

bloodborne was such an amazing breath of fresh air. very excited to see what fromsoft do next now that the dark souls series is over.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
At this rate you are going to have to make multiple videos of things you missed aren't you?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

cokerpilot posted:

At this rate you are going to have to make multiple videos of things you missed aren't you?

IT JUST KEEPS HAPPENING.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Wouldn't be a wang lp without it :allears:

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Yes, Wang and Travis, Indiana Jones's hat is a fedora.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's part of why they got appropriated by neckbeards, right?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
So I dunno when this was made, but the Devs made a really cute overworld map and I figure I'd show it off.

https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/hollowknight/images/c/c4/Map_Artwork.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20170404112913

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Highwang posted:

So I dunno when this was made, but the Devs made a really cute overworld map and I figure I'd show it off.

https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/hollowknight/images/c/c4/Map_Artwork.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20170404112913

What is this, an image for bugs? :v:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Nalesh posted:

It's actually a 1:1 copy of a gigantic fresco located in the City of Tears.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

It's part of why they got appropriated by neckbeards, right?

They screwed up and got trilby hats instead. They just call em fedoras. The difference is mainly brim width, and the brim in trilbies is folded up in the back.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Nalesh posted:

Try this one. Bear in mind that it includes spoilers for places we haven't seen yet in the LP.

Vil fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 21, 2017

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Mighty Casey is more of a sarcastic term, because it's only used at the end of "Casey At the Bat" when he strikes out on a home run cut after letting two strikes go by on purpose.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Vil posted:

Try this one. Bear in mind that it includes spoilers for places we haven't seen yet in the LP.

Interestingly, there is a place missing.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 17: The Hive

Welcome to a bonus zone! The Hive is a neat place that you really only go to if you want to 100% the game, or at the very least lame out a very specific area. The Hive opens up a bunch of lore for the background of the game as well, which is kind of neat and I actually appreciate since it expands on the history and the conflict of the area at hand. Really though, you just come here for the three caterpillar dudes, the charm and the mask fragment sadly. I also feel like this area has a missed opportunity; I mentioned it lightly in the video, but it definitely feels like the Vespa Queen, or whatever is in the background, was meant to be some kind of boss fight that just got cut on the development process. Its no real loss to begin with given the optional nature of this area, however the area does scream "You are supposed to fight something here"

Also man, I hate how I just unconsciously pun now.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I feel that the Queen of the bee hive being called 'Wasp' should be a clue of something.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i feel like the game does a decent job of hinting that the hive is there, even looking past the secret little bit that inadvertently gives a glimpse of it. there's a couple areas where you either get in/out of the hive that have little bees floating around and if you're checking the map there's a pretty sizable chunk missing until you get into it.

it's probably one of my favorite depictions of a hive i've ever seen in a game, honestly

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
At least on that wall, the projectile does break it. I found it by blasting the bees so I could climb past them.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Samovar posted:

I feel that the Queen of the bee hive being called 'Wasp' should be a clue of something.

Somebody asked the devs about that in the Q&A. We know another character named something similar...

In regards to the location, if you look at the background art in Kingdom's Edge (you should look at the background art everywhere, it is great), you can see what very clearly looks like a massive paper wasp hive around the borders of this zone.

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

I think the thing in the background in the queen's room is the queen. She just has a really tiny ghost.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I like to call the big bees "Tubby Bumblers". :kiddo:

Say it out loud and share my joy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I think you need more edit cards, like those super cute ones blankd made.

Now I can't compare to that when it comes to cute, but I can do lore accurate!

100% wang lore accurate:

100% folk lore accurate:

100% hive lore accurate:

• Locked thread