Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Thanks for the :lol: McNally.

A lot of times ships won't have bridgewing lookouts assigned because there are 4-6 people on watch in the pilothouse anyways that are supposed to be looking out. Bringwing lookouts are only usually up during evolutions or any low vis situation.

Wat

How long has this been a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Thanks for the :lol: McNally.

A lot of times ships won't have bridgewing lookouts assigned because there are 4-6 people on watch in the pilothouse anyways that are supposed to be looking out. Bringwing lookouts are only usually up during evolutions or any low vis situation.

No radar is loving dumb.

We always had a nonrate on lookout watch and I always just assumed the navy regs were stricter than the coast guards.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
It depends on the ship really. Every ship in the Navy is going to have a dedicated aft lookout. Larger ships like big deck amphibs and carriers will have multiple dedicated lookouts aft, forward, and on all sides. For CRUDES ships its not unheard of to have dedicated lookouts, but it varies depending on the situation and the captain's comfort level. All of that is with respect to normal visibility. All ships should be posting dedicated lookouts in low vis situations.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
John S. McCain just had a collision pulling in to Singapore.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I'm seeing it reported she was struck on the port side.

Hope it's not bad

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Two collisions in DESRON 15 this summer. I wonder if any admirals are getting attention for optempo and training now?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Well I guess between the port side of the Fitz and the starboard side of the Mccain you can make 1 full ship.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret
TVS, you did great. Because of you and the people you trained, you probably saved the ship.

Ceric
Aug 17, 2012

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...source=facebook

WTF is going on in Seventh Fleet

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
What is the SAR effort for if they haven't said anything about overboards?

lovely press release that just causes more confusion and panic.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Jesus loving Christ. I'm so glad that I'm rolling ashore for a few years on Friday. It's about to get ridiculous out here.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
For fucks sake. 7th fleet is broke.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

quote:

The merchant vessel, ALNIC MC, is a 30,000+ ton oil/chemical tanker built in 2007. It's 600 feet long and 105 feet wide and sails under the Liberian flag. Its owner according to searches is Energetic Tank Inc. and its operator is Stealth Maritime Corporation S.A.

:tinfoil:

In all seriousness, I really hope this won't result in more deaths. ffs.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

mlmp08 posted:

:tinfoil:

In all seriousness, I really hope this won't result in more deaths. ffs.

Preliminary report is 5 minor injuries and the flooding is nowhere near as serious as Fitz. Hoping this remains true.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ManMythLegend posted:

Jesus loving Christ. I'm so glad that I'm rolling ashore for a few years on Friday. It's about to get ridiculous out here.

If you need a shorebased cabin boy I'm off orders soon. My resume includes barista, bar tending and perfect driving record. Also good with kids.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

If you need a shorebased cabin boy I'm off orders soon. My resume includes barista, bar tending and perfect driving record. Also good with kids.

I'm going to file this away for later just in case.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

LordNad posted:

Preliminary report is 5 minor injuries and the flooding is nowhere near as serious as Fitz. Hoping this remains true.
https://twitter.com/AP/status/899443907859185664
:(

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I also think they call it search and rescue until they have full accountability because there's no way to know if they're overboard or trapped inside, etc.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

gently caress.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
God dammit.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

I'm going to hope they are found alive.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It's still really early...

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
This is the tanker:
https://twitter.com/StratSentinel/status/899417961055879169/photo/1It was apparently unloaded, so from first reports this could be a near-exact repeat of the Fitzgerald, with the bulb on the merchie punching through the hull.

edit: whoops, had like four current event threads open, didn't realize I was posting in the Navy one, sorry guys

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

LordNad posted:

I'm going to hope they are found alive.

Not to be... I don't know, pessimistic, but I remember be confused at how 7 sailors could be missing on the Fitz just from a collision, then being horrified when we found out it was because they were still on the ship, in the flooded birthing. I really really loving hope that this isn't the case again, but like Apraxin said, this is looking like a near-exact repeat.

Kind of sick to my stomach.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
God dammit.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
goddammit gently caress

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I'm so loving angry, gently caress.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
It's pretty sad that sailors have to die before we can even talk about getting rid of horrible traditions that deprive sleep.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
If you're still in, may I recommend this classic instructional: https://www.amazon.com/Avoid-Huge-Ships-John-Trimmer/dp/0870334336

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

TheQuietWilds posted:

If you're still in, may I recommend this classic instructional: https://www.amazon.com/Avoid-Huge-Ships-John-Trimmer/dp/0870334336

I don't feel this is very helpful right now.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Not to be... I don't know, pessimistic, but I remember be confused at how 7 sailors could be missing on the Fitz just from a collision, then being horrified when we found out it was because they were still on the ship, in the flooded birthing. I really really loving hope that this isn't the case again, but like Apraxin said, this is looking like a near-exact repeat.

Kind of sick to my stomach.

I know this rationally but I would rather hope we didn't lose 10 more people. I just can't fathom how the this could happen again within 3 loving months to the same loving squadron no less.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The president stepping in to offer wise words in this hour. "That's too bad"

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Elendil004 posted:

The president stepping in to offer wise words in this hour. "That's too bad"

He likes ships that don't run into other ships.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

The Valley Stared posted:

So had another admiral visit today. This is the like the 5th or 6th one we've had since the collision.

He kept asking at all hands call if anyone had any questions. Why the gently caress would we? The one question of "What's going to happen to the crew" he wasn't able to answer, so why the gently caress would he have anything else to ask him? As far as we're concerned, this is just another dog and pony show and we're sick of it.

The Chiefs apparently tore into him during his session with them. The reminded him that there are actual people that work on the drat ship and that they have families. I guess that made him think, because when he spoke with the officers, he made sure to mention that.

But then he asked about what the difference in readiness was between the Ronald Reagan Strike Group and West Coast ships. I said that they had a Training Phase and we didn't. He replied that that wasn't the issue, and then asked our NAV what affected readiness. NAV said Tools, Personnel, and Material. That apparently wasn't the answer and so he was asked again how we get ready to do the job if that makes sense. NAV replied that we get ready when we went out. We don't really train because we're always doing the job.

He said no, that we train all the time. That our Combat Systems folks ran drills and that's how they learned. That our ASW folks ran scenarios and trained off of Guam.

I don't know what fantasy world he lives in, but he doesn't live in the same world we do. We didn't train. We literally learned our jobs by doing all of that poo poo. Because we didn't have time for anything else with all the real world poo poo going on.

I'm bitter. The next time an Admiral comes on board and wants to make pretty speeches and doesn't have any answers, I'm going to lose it.

That said, I took the blood money and will be doing department head rides. Please pray for any future DIVOs I may have. because if they gently caress around on bridge watch, they will not be having a good day.

I wonder if that admiral wants to change his answer.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

McNally posted:

I wonder if that admiral wants to change his answer.

Nah standard play here is to double down on your previous answer. Oh, I'm sure they'll mandate an "operational pause" or other such nonsense. But they won't admit there are serious, systemic issues in the surface navy.

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 21, 2017

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
When does the squadron commanders leash get yanked? Surely now, right?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

When does the squadron commanders leash get yanked? Surely now, right?

Yeah, I think that DESRON 15 is going to pay for this one too.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

ManMythLegend posted:

Agreed.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ManMythLegend posted:

That's the first O-6 in the chain right? Guess the hurt stops there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I thought JSM was a san diego ship now and not FDNF anymore.