Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Cemetry Gator posted:

I don't think he's a bad guy, it just seems like he's in his own little bubble and doesn't get it all the time.

Uncle Kitchener posted:

We're all in our own bubbles. Like this thread about old first person shooters on something awful dot com.
It's almost like we're engrossed in our little virtual realities.
(...used by hackers.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
LGR owns and I love his stuff. It's super hard to find stuff like the things he did that aren't being done by human trash bags.

iirc, he used to be an edgelord but then he started hanging out with PushingUpRoses (who also owns) and she taught him not to be awful and now he is a very good boy.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

CJacobs posted:

hhI LIEVE... AGAINE

Hopen fore bizznizzz....

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah it's interesting when some of the more prominent Youtubers break down the whole monetization program (as seen from their perspective) and you get a brief glimpse behind the curtain and how the whole idiotic system works. I happen to subscribe to LGR and yeah, the idea that his videos are "unsuitable" or family-unfriendly is asinine. The dude's polite as gently caress.

"We don't want our brand associated with old technology." maybe? That's about the only thing I can think of.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Dusk is pretty drat fun. People should totally get it, considering how cheap it is.

Also, question from MIDI people in the thread: Been kind of torn between getting a SC-55MkII or SC-88. On one hand I want to stay close to the early 90s sound, on the other hand, Yahoo Auction prices from 88s are pretty drat good. Not looking on getting an 88Pro.

Can anyone advice on what I should get? Any comparison between 55 and 88 instruments and mapping? I want to stay close to the 55 instrument mapping and sound and have midis that can be easily used in Doom Wads, but I also want to have my cake and eat it with the new instruments for my own personal stuff that I'd want to record.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

AFAIK, generally speaking, SC-55mkII for games 1995 and earlier, SC-88 for games 1996 and later. The cut-off point can give or take a year I suppose, but generally speaking, Duke Nukem 3D is arguably intended for the SC-88, while Doom was very clearly intended for the SC-55 (probably not even the mkII, but the mkII is a straight upgrade anyway so that's not really an issue).

The SC-88 does have a mode to try and emulate the SC-55mkII, though YMMV on how faithful an emulation it is.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Just a heads up for Dusk, there's a pretty significant difference between the medium and hard difficulties, medium is easier than Quake's normal, while hard is like Doom ultra-violence. (I've never played Quake on hard)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

ETPC posted:

LGR owns and I love his stuff. It's super hard to find stuff like the things he did that aren't being done by human trash bags.

iirc, he used to be an edgelord but then he started hanging out with PushingUpRoses (who also owns) and she taught him not to be awful and now he is a very good boy.

Between the two of them they cover a LOT of great (and otherwise) old-school DOS stuff, and it's cool that they're friends.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Okay the first few levels of Dusk are pretty okay! I feel like the gameplay's better than the level design at first, but around e1m5 it really picks up. The total lack of fall damage is great, and I don't feel like any of the weapons are extraneous yet. Can't wait to finish the episode! ...and then wait five weeks for 2 and 3.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

ETPC posted:

I don't recall him being an edgelord. I'm also not sure what 'stuff' you're referring to. Do you mean the videos on old tech/hardware, or the games he covers?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've been watching LGR for 8 years. He was never an edgelord at any point.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Your faves are all problematic. Boom, done. How's Episode 1 of Dusk? I'm holding off on it myself because for reasons I can't really explain I'm suspicious of it ending up like ROTT2013 (which shares some staff with it) which had a great first episode and an utterly awful remaining 75% of the game.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I've played 12 minutes of Dusk and I'm already in love. Will report when I'm done with episode 1. Killin' evil wizards with dual lever action shotguns should be a bullet point in every game design document.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

I've been watching LGR for 8 years. He was never an edgelord at any point.

Yeah I'm not sure why people are confused or just making stuff up

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Yeah I'm not sure why people are confused or just making stuff up

From what people are posting, they seem to STILL be mixing him up with that GGmanlives guy, or whatever his name is.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Has anyone tried Dusk with a controller yet? I'm in if it works well with a 360 pad.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Is this fake shareware thing going to become actual shareware eventually or is it only for people who paid forever?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

some early thoughts on dusk

A) it's really fun

B) it's kinda the first retro fps i've played that really gets it. Like it could pass pretty well for an actual period shooter if not for the fact it has a physics engine and doesn't use weird wobbly mesh animation.

It seems like its main influence is blood, which as I've said before is my favourite build engine game by far and possibly my favourite fps game. I play a lot more doom and quake but part of that is the lack of a source port for blood, and the awesome mods that people like terminus keep making for doom. Dusk is less, i guess luxurious than Blood. Blood is at kind of the tail end of the 2.5d era, all the animations and details were plush as gently caress. Dusk feels more like sort of a hexen 2 type game, graphically at least. True 3D, first person weapons more detailed than quake, but enemies not quite at a quake 2 level of animation yet.

The sound design is top notch. I bitched a while back that FPS sound design has gone to poo poo since the early 2000s, but clearly someone remembers how to do it. All the guns sound great. I'm still a little mad that assault rifles have supplanted shotguns as the workhorse weapon in fps games, but the assault rifle in this game sounds beefy as gently caress. it's great fun to use. I've not found all of the weapons, the friggin ethereal crossbow from heretic appears on some of the trailers, which rules. I wish the music played more though. I know it's going for that quiet ambience with louder parts for action bits, but the music is good and I kill stuff too fast to listen to it much.

I've seen like 5 enemies total and a boss. One thing it has over Blood is no hitscan enemies, which were a fuckin plague in build engine games (and doom, to be fair). They hit hard and die pretty fast, which is my preferred model. The boss was (amazingly for an FPS boss) not intolerable. It was fairly basic, but it had a clear pattern and didn't instakill me, and had a health bar.

Levels seem a little basic in geometry terms, but they're getting more complex as I'm going and they're fairly interesting structurally, linear-but-not doom/quake style key hunts. Which again, I prefer to the totally linear modern fps approach, or to the standard modern retro fps approach of locking you in rooms until you kill all the enemies. I mean, no diss intended on games I've enjoyed a ton like painkiller and immortal redneck who use that approach, it's just not my preference.

There's also a poo poo ton of secrets, which I've found about 60% of so far. I haven't killed myself finding them, but they are pretty well hidden. I'm saving my hardcore secret finding run for the full game.

Five difficulty levels, doom style. I've been playing on the ultraviolent equivalent difficulty and it's about as challenging. You can die really fast if you soak up hits but none of it yet has felt like bullshit.

I think the main character talks sometimes? but he's no caleb.

anyway, long-rear end post, can't wait for the full game, been taking it slow on the first episode instead of burning through it.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Dusk is pretty drat fun. People should totally get it, considering how cheap it is.

Also, question from MIDI people in the thread: Been kind of torn between getting a SC-55MkII or SC-88. On one hand I want to stay close to the early 90s sound, on the other hand, Yahoo Auction prices from 88s are pretty drat good. Not looking on getting an 88Pro.

Can anyone advice on what I should get? Any comparison between 55 and 88 instruments and mapping? I want to stay close to the 55 instrument mapping and sound and have midis that can be easily used in Doom Wads, but I also want to have my cake and eat it with the new instruments for my own personal stuff that I'd want to record.

I own an SC55mkII. the key difference between the two is sound quality and whether you want real-grade authentic 90s computer midi with a bunch of bells and whistles, or you want something that sounds like a playstation game.
Also, it's worth noting the 55mkII's only serious difference from the regular 55 is reverb quality is higher on the mkII. I will note though, the thing sorta can't handle a huge ton of instruments going at the same time, so ultra complex midis won't always play nicely.

Here's a midi I ran through it awhile back, to give you an idea of the overall quality the 55mkII can produce.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I got on a real classic FPS kick recently and in addition to picking up Duke 3D World Tour, I ended up also getting Turok 1 & 2 and Shadow Warrior Redux.

As a kid, Duke 3D's arsenal seemed to be one of the most amazing things ever conceived in an FPS, especially when compared to similar games of the era. There was just so much versatility: Stacking up piles of remote-detonated pipe bombs, setting laser-mine traps, freezing and shattering dudes, shrinking (or ballooning them up into bombs with the microwave gun)...to me, it was a huge leap forward from stuff like Wolf 3D, Blake Stone, Doom, or even Quake (perhaps with the exception of the latter's grenade launcher). Similarly, the concept of stowed items like jet packs and medkits seemed clever as hell.

However, after recently revisiting Duke 3D World Tour, I realized that I rarely used several of the weapons unless I ran out of ammo for something else...even on the highest difficulties. For example, I almost never used the laser mines. In general, the combat was just too fast--and the explosive splash-damage too significant--to find a really regular use for them. Similarly, I seemed to constantly forget about the Freezer, and while the microwave gun had the potential to reduce a tight group of weaker enemies to gibs by turning one into a bomb...so could the RPG, pipe bomb, or Devastator (all of which achieved the task much faster than the Microwave gun, which needs like 10-12 units of its 50-ammo capacity to inflate even an Enforcer). Pipe bombs are a pretty interesting tool and I won't complain much about them, but it seems like they mostly end up being used as grenades: Throw one at an enemy as it approaches and immediately detonate it. Sometimes I think they might even be more useful if they were simply grenades? Not sure, because pipe bombs are generally pretty fun.

And then there's the Holoduke, which is a useless piece of poo poo that has never been fixed despite the fact that it does basically nothing.

Shadow Warrior on the other hand...man, to me, this is a great set of tools. It's a little strange to start with not one but two melee weapons, but they each have their uses: Fists for rapid-fire melee (and "berserker"-style melee when combined with a smoke bomb); the sword for slower, one-hit-kills on weaker enemies (plus it feels cool).

Then you've got your two workhorses, the Uzis and the Riot Gun. At first, they both seem like flawed weapons. The inaccurate Uzis chew through ammo at an insane rate while the Riot Gun fires at ponderous speed and needs to be reloaded after every 4 shots. But once you get the hang of them, you realize that they're more reliable than initial impressions. The introduction of alternate fire modes lends addition versatility to these weapons by letting you switch between single and dual-wielded Uzis, and single and burst-fire shotgun action, and puts them on par with Duke's shotgun and Ripper, if not moreso (personally, I prefer them over Duke's equivalents). Same thing goes for the sticky bombs, which latch on to surfaces/enemies and automatically explode when something approaches them. This is the best combination of Duke's pipe bombs and trip mines: Powerful, simple, and autonomous.

The rocket launcher in particular is a fantastic multi-use weapon. Regular rockets for ordinary targets, the HEAT card for faster enemies, and of course nuclear warheads for killing anything dead with absolute certainty. I remember when I first fired a nuke as a kid--the surprisingly slow warm-up of the computer reading counting down as the round was prepped, the missile flying through the air like any other missile, and then my immediate death upon simply viewing the explosion halfway across the level. This thing probably goes down as one of my favorite "ultimate" weapons in any classic FPS: Balanced by a lengthy warm-up and an ammo capacity of a single round, but an incredibly impressive explosion that is unambiguously powerful. I mean, it even generates lingering "fallout."

The Ripper Heart summons a ghostly clone that will fight alongside you. I wish the Holoduke would have distracted enemies at the very least, but here you have a distraction that kills things, too. Very cool and very useful. And finally, all of the items seem to have a legitimate use (with perhaps the partial exception of caltrops, which don't appear to do a ton of damage). The gas grenade in particular is a deceivingly powerful and useful tool capable of clearing out entire rooms with a potent DOT effect, and the flash bomb actually temporarily blinds/distracts opponents in a way that makes it vastly more useful than something like Doom's invisibility sphere.

That being said, Shadow Warrior is hard as poo poo and basically needs all of these weapons to be at the top of their game for you to stand a chance at higher difficulties.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

And then there's the Holoduke, which is a useless piece of poo poo that has never been fixed despite the fact that it does basically nothing.

Wasn't the HoloDuke mostly intended to be a decoy used in deathmatch? I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying; it's not useful in single-player, but I was under the impression that it was designed for multiplayer, then put into single-player as an after-thought.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Max Wilco posted:

Wasn't the HoloDuke mostly intended to be a decoy used in deathmatch? I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying; it's not useful in single-player, but I was under the impression that it was designed for multiplayer, then put into single-player as an after-thought.

I think for the most part you're right, although it supposedly works (or worked?) on...the Octobrain, I think, so the ability seems to be there. I figured after ten million re-releases, somebody would have "fixed" it, especially since they keep putting it in newer maps that are terrible for multiplayer.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 20, 2017

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Has anyone tried Dusk with a controller yet? I'm in if it works well with a 360 pad.

I just tried it and it works without any additional configuration, but you need to be able to strafe-jump to move at full speed and I have no idea if/how that's possible on a gamepad.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Shadow Hog posted:

AFAIK, generally speaking, SC-55mkII for games 1995 and earlier, SC-88 for games 1996 and later. The cut-off point can give or take a year I suppose, but generally speaking, Duke Nukem 3D is arguably intended for the SC-88, while Doom was very clearly intended for the SC-55 (probably not even the mkII, but the mkII is a straight upgrade anyway so that's not really an issue).

The SC-88 does have a mode to try and emulate the SC-55mkII, though YMMV on how faithful an emulation it is.

That sounds great. I'll get 55MkII first and then get an 88 once I've saved up again.

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I own an SC55mkII. the key difference between the two is sound quality and whether you want real-grade authentic 90s computer midi with a bunch of bells and whistles, or you want something that sounds like a playstation game.
Also, it's worth noting the 55mkII's only serious difference from the regular 55 is reverb quality is higher on the mkII. I will note though, the thing sorta can't handle a huge ton of instruments going at the same time, so ultra complex midis won't always play nicely.

Here's a midi I ran through it awhile back, to give you an idea of the overall quality the 55mkII can produce.

I'm making MIDIs specifically for 55 at this point. The extra reverb will be a really welcome addition.

Ideally, I want to own both in the future, but I just have a niche love for the particular sound of 55 for rock-type tunes and the synths. Of course, you can make things sound a lot better on 88 with certain tunes, but that's mostly for Duke and Blood and not Doom.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I just tried it and it works without any additional configuration, but you need to be able to strafe-jump to move at full speed and I have no idea if/how that's possible on a gamepad.

I suppose if you can map jump to R3 it should be possible. The only shooter this year I've played with a controller was DO4M on PS4, but I didn't have a choice with that one.

How the hell do people play shooters on pads? Do you turn smoothing up or down?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The it-he guy made The Sky May Be? What :psyduck:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Arivia posted:

The it-he guy made The Sky May Be? What :psyduck:

Doug the Eagle? Yes.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Dusk is incredible. Pro buy. The devs deserve your money. Great weapons, levels, enemies, callbacks (Mighty Sickles Engaged) the whole package. Can't wait for episodes 2 and 3. The biggest complaint is the lack of an automap, since sometimes I can forget where exactly the red/blue/yellow doors were, so tracking them back down can halt the pacing a bit. Also, and this is coming from someone who doesn't like Andrew Hushult's work AT ALL, he's....loving awesome here. The soundtrack is ace.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Some dumb idiot posted:

Just finished Dusk's """Shareware""" Episode, and I have to say I really enjoyed it. I did have a few (really rather minor) issues with it, namely that a few of the earlier levels felt a bit hit or miss and the secret melee weapon you can find feels a bit unwieldy to use. (Also the main character really needs a voice for the handful of wisecracks/references you can find in the levels, because they fall a bit flat in a text-on-screen format. :v:)

Considering the $20 will also get you the rest of the game when it releases, and Steam refunds existing for if it turns out you really hate it, I don't see much a reason to not get it now if you're interested in playing it.

Thanks for posting this - just grabbed it and played the first 4 levels and so far it's great. They captured the feeling of the era perfectly without looking and playing as lovely as strafe.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Also, did anyone else catch this?

Blatant homage to Doom, I can't recall which level but this is a total copy of the room before the exit in one of the early E1 maps:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Regular Nintendo posted:

Also, did anyone else catch this?

Blatant homage to Doom, I can't recall which level but this is a total copy of the room before the exit in one of the early E1 maps:

Yeah that's totally the second to last room of E1M2.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Dopefish Lives

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Someone talk me out of buying a sound card so i can use EAX/A3D in old games

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ETPC posted:

Isn't there good software rendering for that now if it's going to be played on a modern system? If you're playing on an old system though, like something 90s/early 2000s, then by all means do it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

So is the general consensus that ROTT 2013 is not a particularly good game, and probably not worth picking up?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

So is the general consensus that ROTT 2013 is not a particularly good game, and probably not worth picking up?

It's got some nice highs, but some really, really bad lows. I'd advise picking it up on sale if you decide to get it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Good news, it's currently 3 dollars on Bundle Stars.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

fishmech posted:

Isn't there good software rendering for that now if it's going to be played on a modern system? If you're playing on an old system though, like something 90s/early 2000s, then by all means do it.

If there is it's news to me. I got a Sound Blaster Audigy in windows 10 running EAX by using Creative Alchemy. Pretty sure that requires a creative soundcard. Depending on what card you get, getting the official drivers working may or may not be a nightmare. I had to use daniel_k's unofficial drivers to not get BSODs

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ETPC posted:

EAX is lame reverb and how many games actually supported A3D? Like 5?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I played it for 30 minutes and quit, ymmv (it is a bad game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Regular Nintendo posted:

I played it for 30 minutes and quit, ymmv (it is a bad game)
I played up to the third boss (a lovely robot) without finding any of those mythical "high points". It's trash.