Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Chard posted:

Would it be good or bad if carrying lots and lots of poo poo made you run slower? I'm leaning good.

That's just going to make you even easier prey for someone with an AR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

Chard posted:

Would it be good or bad if carrying lots and lots of poo poo made you run slower? I'm leaning good.

It depends on how slow we're talking. I wouldn't want to be punished for carrying an AR and a SR but I could see why other people might want it. It would make what you pick up much more meaningful rather than stuffing your bags full of everything.

MrBadidea
Apr 1, 2009

cosmicjim posted:

I'm not sure how to fix the issue without reducing spawn locations. PUBG clearly wants scars and kars to be more rare, so you end up m16a4s, akms, and sometimes the sks in high densities.

A desire for certain weapons to be rarer is one thing, which is fine and okay... but the clustering can poo poo out a dozen of those supposedly rare weapons in the same area (like the two Kar98s I found in one house today, or yesterday when 10 or so scars spawned across Rozhok).

I am a-okay with not finding a 4x or an 8x every time I try and tool up at game-start. What I find fucky is having to take other chumps scopes off their dead bodies for a dozen games, on then I find three 8x scopes within 10 meters of each other in the opening seconds of my next game. I prefer (and generally do better with) the M16 and AKM than the supposedly "better, rarer" ARs, so having dozens of them shat out so densely I'm tripping over one every time I open a door is loving weird and makes me think there could be something broken about the whole system- but it could just as easily be as working exactly as intended with some as-yet unexplained intentions on behalf of the developers.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

MrBadidea posted:

A desire for certain weapons to be rarer is one thing, which is fine and okay... but the clustering can poo poo out a dozen of those supposedly rare weapons in the same area (like the two Kar98s I found in one house today, or yesterday when 10 or so scars spawned across Rozhok).

I am a-okay with not finding a 4x or an 8x every time I try and tool up at game-start. What I find fucky is having to take other chumps scopes off their dead bodies for a dozen games, on then I find three 8x scopes within 10 meters of each other in the opening seconds of my next game. I prefer (and generally do better with) the M16 and AKM than the supposedly "better, rarer" ARs, so having dozens of them shat out so densely I'm tripping over one every time I open a door is loving weird and makes me think there could be something broken about the whole system- but it could just as easily be as working exactly as intended with some as-yet unexplained intentions on behalf of the developers.

You could always spawn the attachments on the weapon.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

MrBadidea posted:

True random systems will allow things like this to happen. Your brain attempting to detect patterns is what's making it seem fucky

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

MrBadidea posted:

good post showing how poorly most people understand rng

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

MysteriousStranger posted:

It would be interesting if weapons spawned with a random set of attachments or lack of attachments, but they'd have to make the attachments visible on the world model of the weapon for it to really work.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Choco is not human
https://clips.twitch.tv/ProductiveAntediluvianGoldfishOptimizePrime

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

MrBadidea posted:

This is a pretty typical example of confirmation bias. Humans are not very good at understanding true random, we are evolved to seek patterns in everything. So when presented with true random, we naturally look for a pattern and when we see something that doesn't "feel" random, we attribute it to a pattern and refuse to believe it's really random. But in fact, that's exactly the kind of behavior you would expect to see in a truly random system. In games its really common for developers to replace random systems with pseudo random systems because users see it as unfair or not random enough.

Even outside of games, Apple famously used true random for shuffle in iTunes, and users complained that it played the same tracks too frequently, so it was replaced with a pseudo random system that would avoid playing the same thing twice for very extended periods.

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

Shima Honnou posted:

It would be interesting if weapons spawned with a random set of attachments or lack of attachments, but they'd have to make the attachments visible on the world model of the weapon for it to really work.

That would be interesting as long as it wasn't too extreme. I wouldn't want the game to be cluttered with silenced M4s just because they're spawning with them and then people are finding the suppressors naturally on top of that.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I don't know why everyone brings up people not understanding true random or whatever like it's an answer for someone not liking how poo poo is distributed.

Of course completely random shuffle is terrible. It's not that I don't understand what random means, I just don't want to hear the same song twice in row.

That being said, I don't mind how the loot is in pubg so far.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Confer posted:

That would be interesting as long as it wasn't too extreme. I wouldn't want the game to be cluttered with silenced M4s just because they're spawning with them and then people are finding the suppressors naturally on top of that.

You could spawn pistols that are fully kitted out or SMGs that are fairly kitted out with attachments that are locked to them, ditto with shotguns. Weapons that need all the help they can get. You could still pick up stuff for the more powerful AR/SR weapons and just spawn them with less viable attachments.

The problem really isn't the RNG of the spawns. The problem is that everyone is only going for set weapons with a limited amount of kit. Which means a huge portion of what you find is just garbage and all this focus on AR/SR/4x/8x. Getting say a stacked vector/ump/uzi off the break with it's attachments on it makes the weapon a bit more valid and helps remove the AR focus of the game.

Give people better non AR weapons with attachments and lock them to it, restrict the attachments for AR SR.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

odiv posted:

I don't know why everyone brings up people not understanding true random or whatever like it's an answer for someone not liking how poo poo is distributed.

Of course completely random shuffle is terrible. It's not that I don't understand what random means, I just don't want to hear the same song twice in row.

That being said, I don't mind how the loot is in pubg so far.

uhh maybe because we're literally responding to somebody who doesn't understand rng?? maybe read the thread???

quote:

having dozens of them shat out so densely I'm tripping over one every time I open a door is loving weirdand makes me think there could be something broken about the whole system

MrBadidea
Apr 1, 2009

:allears:

Zo posted:

good post showing how poorly most people understand rng

My point was that the 'extreme' cases of finding none of a given item and finding dozens of it in an area happen seem to happen way more frequently than finding a singular instance. A place the size of Rozhok flips between "There are no 4x scopes" and "Everybody in a squad has two each, and you left a few spares to rot too."

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
and there it is again, just to prove my point

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

MrBadidea posted:

:allears:

My point was that the 'extreme' cases of finding none of a given item and finding dozens of it in an area happen seem to happen way more frequently than finding a singular instance. A place the size of Rozhok flips between "There are no 4x scopes" and "Everybody in a squad has two each, and you left a few spares to rot too."

There isn't a way to remove poo poo like this without getting rid of the random part of it.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
maybe players who know how rng works should run slower because they are "burdened" with the kowledge

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
it is stupid to find five kars in rozhok

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

MrBadidea posted:

This is literally what random is. What you're wanting is "kinda random, but still pretty much the same all the time", which is in fact called "pseudo-random" because it's not actually random. Random is capable of a huge range of outcomes. In a random system it's technically possible for every single gun that spawns to be a kar98. Unlikely, but possible. You're hitting some minorly unlikely, but possible scenarios and assuming the system is broken.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Zo posted:

uhh maybe because we're literally responding to somebody who doesn't understand rng?? maybe read the thread???
Oops yeah, I somehow came away with a different impression (that the parameters should be adjusted because the extremes are annoying) and missed that crucial bit, my bad.

The game could easily be set to have a higher chance to spawn extra 8x scopes after the first one, just to gently caress with you, but I seriously doubt that's the case.

Edit: it's probably already pseudo random. We're just quibbling about how "random" it should be right?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I wonder how long it will be until they are selling custom parachutes. That is definitely going to be a thing.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Hamelekim posted:

I wonder how long it will be until they are selling custom parachutes. That is definitely going to be a thing.

I'm waiting for custom gun skins, I hope they let me turn the Micro UZI into a Mac-10!

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
The problem with conditional or pseudo randomness, where you ensure a significant subset of a possibility space shows up in a sample, is a) you limit the potentially interesting extreme outcomes of true randomness, and b) by altering the selection space, it requires more computing power to determine each selection. Being able to decide each loot location's contents without knowing about others in proximity goes a long way to spawning the models before the round ends.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Also all I've ever wanted to do is to cut the chute or drop the bag while diving or grab some fool's leg while we're falling and mess up his trajectory.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

odiv posted:

Oops yeah, I somehow came away with a different impression (that the parameters should be adjusted because the extremes are annoying) and missed that crucial bit, my bad.

The game could easily be set to have a higher chance to spawn extra 8x scopes after the first one, just to gently caress with you, but I seriously doubt that's the case.

Edit: it's probably already pseudo random. We're just quibbling about how "random" it should be right?

People want random poo poo because a game like this needs random poo poo, we don't all need to be rushing the same exact house. But they don't want the RNG to produce random results that result in them not getting what they want or getting too much of something.

There's not really a way to fix this other than trying to even out the value of each random item which is dropped, which brings up other problems.

There's also the bias problem, we remember when the RNG screws us and not when it worked for us.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
What I like about true randomness was that it allowed me to find 4 8x scopes in the span of two minutes, which of course I grabbed so that no one else would get them. I then jumped on a motorcycle and headed toward the circle. Not thirty seconds later I hit a weird patch of ground, flipped the bike, and killed myself, still hanging on to all 8x scopes. GOTY

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I don't think it's so difficult to believe that there are issues with the variety of the loot generation. Like they have explicitly had issues with this in the past that they have (tried to) fix.

Earlier someone posted a theory that the red zones always spawn on top of a player. Now that custom games with spectating are out, it should be easy to tell - has anyone confirmed or denied this?

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

causticBeet posted:

I don't think it's so difficult to believe that there are issues with the variety of the loot generation. Like they have explicitly had issues with this in the past that they have (tried to) fix.

Earlier someone posted a theory that the red zones always spawn on top of a player. Now that custom games with spectating are out, it should be easy to tell - has anyone confirmed or denied this?

An RNG is always going to produce both good and bad games. But that's the price you pay in something like this. It's not like say Quake TDM where everything is very much a known quantity and done strictly to let the best player win with every bit of uncertenty stripped out of it.

Ideally though, you shouldn't be hosed by dropping and emerging sans AR/SR with 4x/8x. But doing this either means not having a real RNG or tweaking the weapons.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Game Item Idea: A snorkel for infinite water submersion and advanced amphibious tactics. An example: u could lay in that swamp pond and scare passersby then dunk back down. Other strategies would emerge with the addition of a snorkel. Air drops could have full scuba gear with flippers and harpoons we could rule the depths gentlemen.

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

You could spawn pistols that are fully kitted out or SMGs that are fairly kitted out with attachments that are locked to them, ditto with shotguns. Weapons that need all the help they can get. You could still pick up stuff for the more powerful AR/SR weapons and just spawn them with less viable attachments.

I really like this idea. It would make picking up non-AR weapons a lot more appealing in the early game. It wouldn't just be a mad rush for ARs anymore

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
can grenades kill people underwater.

also i think peopel talking about a mad rush for assault rifles are extremely underselling all of the other guns. every gun in this game iwll kill the poo poo out of people if you hit them with its bullets

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
quality game

https://gfycat.com/UnderstatedSociableFlee

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

violent sex idiot posted:

can grenades kill people underwater.

also i think peopel talking about a mad rush for assault rifles are extremely underselling all of the other guns. every gun in this game iwll kill the poo poo out of people if you hit them with its bullets

And it's still AR dominated.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Finally picked up this game due to coworkers and everyone seems to be playing it.

My 2nd match ever:

I think I like this game.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

The RNG really is not bad in this game. It is so rare to the point of being exceptional (as it should) that you come away from a drop alive and lacking an AR. Any more certainty would make the game boring...

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

Tyberius posted:

Finally picked up this game due to coworkers and everyone seems to be playing it.

My 2nd match ever:

I think I like this game.

Welcome to the game, that's how your addiction starts.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
My computer came with one of those "hybrid" drives, speccy says it's a seagate ST1000DX001-SSHD-8GB. Is there anyway for me to benefit from that? Like moving the game to a certain spot or something. I don't know a lot about this. I plan to build a new PC in a few more months anyway.

edit: Looks like it doesn't work that way. Maybe I can buy a regular ssd soon and just use it in a new PC when I wind up building one.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

My computer came with one of those "hybrid" drives, speccy says it's a seagate ST1000DX001-SSHD-8GB. Is there anyway for me to benefit from that? Like moving the game to a certain spot or something. I don't know a lot about this. I plan to build a new PC in a few more months anyway.

edit: Looks like it doesn't work that way. Maybe I can buy a regular ssd soon and just use it in a new PC when I wind up building one.

The more you play the game the more the games files will be cached on the SSD. All there is to it.

There sort of the NVME SSD = OS and main programs, SATA SSD = main and new games, SSHD = older games, HDD = bulk storage logic but oh well.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
jesus gently caress so there are still people without SSDs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Confer posted:

I really like this idea. It would make picking up non-AR weapons a lot more appealing in the early game. It wouldn't just be a mad rush for ARs anymore

People that aren't down with SMGs already are loving stupid. The mad rush for ARs is stupid. You kill people and take your poo poo if you don't find it on your first drop. I just played two duos with like ten kills each game between two of us and like 90% of my kills were with the UMP. The game doesn't need balancing, you need to play with fun people that aren't concerned with MAX OPTIMUM BUILDS

• Locked thread