Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Embiids injuries are a little more optimistic than Odens but still. Dude is entering his fourth year. I really hope he can play through 65+ games next year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I hope that the NBA comes down hard on those dastardly Lakers. I won't be satisfied until Lakers Guy is behind bars.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Embiid is better than Cousins//
INVISIBLE COMMA//
so (?) if you are gambling on health, it makes no sense[...]

Guaranteed every native English speaker read that sentence as two clauses, the first stating A Thing, the second a weird "So If" condition that doesn't make any sense.

If you are gambling on health, Embiid is better than Cousins, so it makes no sense[...]

I'm glad I could contribute to this weird and forum-y thing.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 21, 2017

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Joel Embiid has fewer than 800 minutes played since being drafted in 2014 hahahaha with the, "I gave the caveat of health," weaselling, he literally cannot stay on the court it's not like he gets little dings and dents here and there.

He doesn't belong in the same breath as boogie until he can play without dying on the court. He only had 25 mpg and still died on the court lol.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Embiid belongs in a human broth madeby a geraman cannnibal

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dejan Bimble posted:

Embiid belongs in a human broth madeby a geraman cannnibal

A good broth requires cartilage

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Wow there were some really crazy posts back there where some insane people were suggesting that the best centre ever was someone other than Wilt what was that all about

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Wilt is overrated

Don't @me

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Boogie has played fewer than 800 minutes of actual defense in his career so it's essentially a wash.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Wilt is overrated

MODS?

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

chunkles posted:

I'm all for it, is Carlos DElfino available, how many role player heroes of yesteryear can we bring on board

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2017/08/19/houston-rockets-james-harden-slimmed-down-fired-up-upcoming-season/582418001/

:staredog: brb looking up yoga and pilates classes

He doesn't do steroids

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

vaginal facsimile posted:

He doesn't do steroids

No one in the NBA lifts.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

He doesn't do steroids

All-natural root beer baby.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

He doesn't do steroids

You get very buff the year after you dump a Kardashian lady

Speaking of, Blake Griffin is dating one of the family now, uh oh

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/SITimLayden/status/899620609176596480

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
Kyrie to replace Giannis on the Greek national team CONFIRMED

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

DeimosRising posted:

loving
:lol:

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Yeah, that was great lol.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DeimosRising posted:

best post of at least the last three pages

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Rick posted:

Especially since one of the things that "Mitch Kupchak was actually a bad GM because the Lakers have a normal rebuilding timetable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Lakers fans use as criticism against him is that he wouldn't, "join the modern NBA and start tampering."

This makes me laugh so hard and it sums up how I feel. Of course everyone tampers to some degree but only one idiot goes on late night national TV to confirm it

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

what are the penalties for tampering in this situation? Like a fine or would it be draft picks?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

BWV posted:

what are the penalties for tampering in this situation? Like a fine or would it be draft picks?

I think draft pick penalties have some precedence in extreme cases, not entirely sure though. They'd most likely get fined unless it was super egregious

e: Yeah I looked it up and the Timberwolves lost draft picks (5 first round picks!!! but they got one back) for tampering with Joe Smith

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 21, 2017

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The penalty will be to stop giving Lakers so many #2 picks in a row

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cool Buff Man posted:

I think draft pick penalties have some precedence in extreme cases, not entirely sure though. They'd most likely get fined unless it was super egregious

e: Yeah I looked it up and the Timberwolves lost draft picks (5 first round picks!!! but they got one back) for tampering with Joe Smith

The Wolves didn't tamper, they were directly circumventing the salary cap by promising him an over market deal once they had his bird rights if he signed for a below market deal first. Though I suppose that could be considered tampering. I feel like there was more to it than that though.

In the Lakers case what I've read is fines, a draft pick or two, and/or not being allowed to sign the player in question.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

IcePhoenix posted:

The Wolves didn't tamper, they were directly circumventing the salary cap by paying him under the table.

In the Lakers case what I've read is fines, a draft pick or two, and/or not being allowed to sign the player in question.

It's recorded as "salary-cap tampering" in several places but who cares about semantics. I say the Lakers should lose every pick they have in the future, forever

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cool Buff Man posted:

It's recorded as "salary-cap tampering" in several places but who cares about semantics. I say the Lakers should lose every pick they have in the future, forever

yeah I looked it up and edited because I had an important detail wrong

I think the punishment should be barring the Lakers from signing PG or LeBron and they have to give the Lakers name back to Minnesota.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Move the Lakers imo

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

IcePhoenix posted:

yeah I looked it up and edited because I had an important detail wrong

I think the punishment should be barring the Lakers from signing PG or LeBron and they have to give the Lakers name back to Minnesota.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Move the Lakers imo

Both incredibly fair. Sorry Rick and Glumslinger, I love you, but fair is fair.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Omg if George is not allowed to sign with the Lakers

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Cool Buff Man posted:

Both incredibly fair. Sorry Rick and Glumslinger, I love you, but fair is fair.

I live in SF now, so move them into Oracle after the Ws move out

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Was Minnesota tampering or cap subversion ?

Jerry Stackhouse
Apr 12, 2008

Other than the occasional bit of draft/free agent tampering, Marcus and Markieff Morris swapping places, and Michael Jordan’s gambling addiction, are there any notable NBA-related conspiracy theories (or actual confirmed conspiracies, like the Craig Hodges and Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf blackballing, the Tim Donaghy business, and Michael Jordan’s gambling addiction)?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

BWV posted:

Ban Magic from Basketball.

LAKERS WIN!!

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Jerry Stackhouse posted:

Other than the occasional bit of draft/free agent tampering, Marcus and Markieff Morris swapping places, and Michael Jordan’s gambling addiction, are there any notable NBA-related conspiracy theories (or actual confirmed conspiracies, like the Craig Hodges and Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf blackballing, the Tim Donaghy business, and Michael Jordan’s gambling addiction)?

The magic operated on the wrong leg of Penny Hardaway

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Femur posted:

The magic operated on the wrong leg of Penny Hardaway

Even though I'm pretty sure this has been debunked I refuse to believe it's not true because it's too funny. Didn't something similar happen to Grant Hill as well?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Cool Buff Man posted:

This makes me laugh so hard and it sums up how I feel. Of course everyone tampers to some degree but only one idiot goes on late night national TV to confirm it

The L.A. tampering thing is just like the Philly tanking thing, nobody really cares as long as you aren't a dipshit loudmouth about flaunting the rules.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The internet does not appear to have an exhaustive account of the joe smith affair including the discipline letter sent to the wolves

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Jerry Stackhouse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX1kMlG8c7Y

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

morestuff posted:

The L.A. tampering thing is just like the Philly tanking thing, nobody really cares as long as you aren't a dipshit loudmouth about flaunting the rules.

In that case Magic/the Lakers are hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I think an appropriate punishment for the Lakers with a lot of precedent would be voiding their trade with Brooklyn so they're stuck with Mozgov's contract for three more years and they have to deal with the conflict between Lonzo and D'angelo

• Locked thread