Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

David Lynch independently came up with the idea of one punch man, and that's beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

nopants posted:

He'll bust through the wall so he can defeat the hand's evil plot.

English. Eyeless lady. Hawk. Dougie Jones. Don't call it a team-up.

nopants
May 29, 2004
This show is kinda.,,weird.

nopants
May 29, 2004
When did Jeffries gain an army of cosmic hobos and backwards talking cat ladies?

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
When he turned into a very large tea kettle, likely.

Also, waiting on the explanation why Jeffries looks like the bell-shaped contraption in the White (?) Lodge.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

nopants posted:

When did Jeffries gain an army of cosmic hobos and backwards talking cat ladies?
Well he does live outside of linear time as we know it, so...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Mister Jeffries! The tea, it come out of my kettle! Ayudame!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Was that Bowie's voice in the tea kettle scenes or a sound-alike?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

The credits have someone else listed as the voice of Phillip Jeffries.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

CJacobs posted:

In the Missing Pieces, Jefferies reappears in the Rio hotel after jumping through time and seeing the end of episode 18. That's why he's screaming.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
i assume it was the soundalike that dubbed the fwwm footage

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

CJacobs posted:

no drat baby god hell

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol at replacing the british guy with a tea pot

nopants
May 29, 2004

el oso posted:

When he turned into a very large tea kettle, likely.

Also, waiting on the explanation why Jeffries looks like the bell-shaped contraption in the White (?) Lodge.

We're not talking about the bell shaped contraption in the white lodge

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

General Dog posted:

Why did James get arrested? There should have been about 80 witnesses that saw him not do anything except get the poo poo kicked out of him.

ACAB even when it's lovable good guys Hawk and Andy

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
Jefferies is not the tea kettle. He is the round zygote that is being fed by the steam.

VVVVV I would say it isn't echoing but [oddly reverberating] but the subtitles don't support that.

Section 9 fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 21, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Section 9 posted:

Jefferies is not the tea kettle. He is the round zygote that is being fed by the steam.

The voice echoes like it's coming from inside the tea kettle, but I will take this as an alternate explanation.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Section 9 posted:

VVVVV I would say it isn't echoing but [oddly reverberating] but the subtitles don't support that.

Imagine trying to make sense of this before the season aired.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

el oso posted:

Imagine trying to make sense of this before the season aired.

Oh god, if there had been a scene in The Missing Pieces that just said "25 years later" and just showed that scene with just Jefferies saying something about Judy with no other explanation.

Edit: For the near future I am just going to be patiently waiting for someone to make an edit of the Frankie Roadhouse scene with "Sharp Dressed Man" replaced with the theme song from "One Punch Man" and now that I've typed that, it seems like that musical choice maybe was very deliberate.

Section 9 fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Aug 21, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Is there an actual cut scene from FWWM where Jeffries mentions Judy, or was that dubbed?

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

General Dog posted:

Is there an actual cut scene from FWWM where Jeffries mentions Judy, or was that dubbed?

He mentions Judy in the regular cut of FWWM, but only to say that he won't talk about her and that she found something. I think he says more on the subject in the Missing Pieces extended cut, but nothing that explains anything.

Edit: But I think the dialog in the flashback scene in this episode was redubbed, cause it sounded different to me. Possibly so that Bowie's actual voice didn't clash as much with the fill-in voice.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

mary had a little clam posted:

Check the thread: I totally called Phillip Jeffries being a giant psychic teakettle like 8 weeks ago.

Big deal. I called Dougie sticking his dick fork into the socket. :smug:

CJacobs posted:

I love that Freddie's rock-em-sock-em punch is so powerful that it makes the music hitch and skip temporarily.

Freddie is so powerful, he makes reality lag.

caligulamprey posted:

EDIT: The guys in Vegas getting shot by Chantal is hands down the "worst" CGI in the show. I don't necessarily mean that as an insult, but I did play it back a couple times for shits and giggles

That is some Scanners-style head explosion. You people have no taste.

Gotta love that there is a tea cup being filled with steam just to make sure people definitely get it.

These episodes just keep getting better. :aaaaa:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

General Dog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMszCiYdtts

Shonen Waifu
Jun 29, 2003

Jeffries is a Guild Navigator now?

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

And More posted:

That is some Scanners-style head explosion. You people have no taste.

I said it's Videodrome....God, read the thread!

(I would like to point out that this post is in jest and should not be taken personally or as an attack. I don't know why I feel this is necessary.)

Edit: It amuses me that this thread tends to be full of silly fun immediately after an episode, and slowly devolves into rabid snarling by the next Sunday afternoon.

Further Edit: I forget if it was on Peaked or Diane that someone mentioned the idea that things are falling apart with people because the world has no meaning or center anymore. There's no story and that hole is a vortex that is destroying the world of Twin Peaks. It made me think very much of some of the arguments that occur in the discussions with no real explanations, answers, or plot progression and it's just this frustration that makes everyone on edge and trying to claw out some meaning just to fill the void. Like, life can be so mundane and blase' and when the escapism of fiction fails to provide any meaningful relief it tears at our souls.

Section 9 fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 21, 2017

nopants
May 29, 2004
More dangerous opponent: a white walker or an FBI agent/glam rock star/goblin king/Nikolai Tessa transformed into a sentient magical giant tea kettle

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

I think it's a little exploitative to have an actor talk about her imminent death while she's literally about to die.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

I think it's a little exploitative to have an actor talk about her imminent death while she's literally about to die.

The scene is just as much about that as it is about the log lady :ssh:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The guy in the Sunset Boulevard clip calling for Gordon Cole is Cecil B. Demille, by the way- another director making a rare acting turn (though not in his own movie in that case).

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

A good portion of the show is about ageing and a good portion of the cast died after filming wrapped. It makes the themes of the series all the more relevant.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
I sort of feel like I should apologize for replying to like every other post, but this show and everyone's discussions, both serious and ridiculous, just make me think. If it bothers anyone I'll dial it back.

nopants posted:

More dangerous opponent: a white walker or an FBI agent/glam rock star/goblin king/Nikolai Tessa transformed into a sentient magical giant tea kettle

So speaking of white walkers, there was something in tonight's Game of Thrones that brought me back to the idea of how a lot of big shows handle things vs how Lynch handles it. Spoilers for tonights GoT

When they are pulling the dragon out of the water at the end, it's all tense with dramatic music and takes a long time, with the white walker slowly walking up to the dragon, touching it, and then the 5 seconds of dramatic musical crescendo before the eyes open up blue. You know exactly what's going to happen within a few seconds of the start of the scene, but it tries to be this slow build. I was like "Oh poo poo, Dracolich" as soon as I saw the chains going into the water.

I feel like Lynch would have just had a scene showing them throwing some chains in the water. You can figure out the rest for yourself.

(Edit) Actually, thinking on it more, he might also just show the dragon sitting at the bottom of the lake dead for 5 minutes, and then show a hook drop down and cut.

Section 9 fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 21, 2017

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

The actor has, from what I understand, been friends with Lynch since Eraserhead. I think this was a way of saying goodbye to a dear friend while she was still alive.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, I doubt a woman who was friends with the creator, had a role in the original series, came back to film intros in character for each episode, and made sure to film her part before succumbing to her illness was "exploited".

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Section 9 posted:

The actor has, from what I understand, been friends with Lynch since Eraserhead. I think this was a way of saying goodbye to a dear friend while she was still alive.
Yeah she married Jack Nance in the late 60s.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Section 9 posted:

I sort of feel like I should apologize for replying to like every other post, but this show and everyone's discussions, both serious and ridiculous, just make me think. If it bothers anyone I'll dial it back.

I think it's funny and worth pointing out how the thread kind of emulates the show in some ways. It's life recreating art.

quote:

Game of Thrones spoilers: I feel like Lynch would have just had a scene showing them throwing some chains in the water. You can figure out the rest for yourself.

Lynch's two basic tactics are slowing things way down or really accelerating the pacing. In a situation where you exactly know what would happen, it could really go either way. I'd personally like to think he'd have them jank that dragon up in seconds and then spend half a season reviving him. :v:

Section 9 posted:

Bowie recorded an entire album about his own death. Why shouldn't Catherine Coulson be allowed to turn her death into art?

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Fair enough. I shouldn't assume things like that about people's agency.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Fair enough. I shouldn't assume things like that about people's agency.

Your remark was a fair assessment if you didn't know their relationship. If they didn't have that relationship, I would say you were likely right about it.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

The most affecting part of Margaret's/Catherine's goodbye was how the last half of it was delivered directly to the camera, no phone, no pretense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I kinda wish the Log Lady stuff had been the end of the episode. The light going out in her house as the final shot before the credits would have ruled.