Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I'm doing a Malazan re read because I don't wanna finish FoL. Help I've become a Malazo junkie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

turboraton posted:

I'm doing a Malazan re read because I don't wanna finish FoL. Help I've become a Malazo junkie.

I've read it twice and audiobooked it once. Better each time. Still haven't read FoL yet though.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Hanging out for any new news. Looks like the nice ICE book has been pushed back to the end of the year.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Tool got TWO happy endings and I'm dreading Tool showing up in the unwritten Karsa trilogy for a 3rd happy ending.

Speaking of which, how come his wife came back from the dead all of a sudden in the end? I'm assuming I missed something because to me that just came out of nowhere

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I figure it was fate magic performed by the person that is Tool's sister [IRONY]who definitely isn't a mary sue character that also pops up everywhere & knows everybody, no way at all. [/IRONY]

Only the Eel can stop that madness, but somehow the Eel has been missing for a week now, ever since that caravan of gourmet Seven Cities pastries was robbed.

People like Beak and Trull and Gruntle had to die to give Tool & his family a 2nd happy ending.
That's really why I dread anything regarding T'Ian Imass clans showing up in the future Karsa trilogy, Tool always seems to be involved in T'lan Imass drama.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 21, 2017

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

dishwasherlove posted:

Hanging out for any new news. Looks like the nice ICE book has been pushed back to the end of the year.

He's got a third sci-fi novel coming titled, "Rejoice, a knife to the heart." Not sure if it's another in the trek satire.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

He's got a third sci-fi novel coming titled, "Rejoice, a knife to the heart." Not sure if it's another in the trek satire.

Sounds like Ericson is graduating to TNG trek satire.
.....Stab me in the heart for recognizing that reference.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

I figure it was fate magic performed by the person that is Tool's sister [IRONY]who definitely isn't a mary sue character that also pops up everywhere & knows everybody, no way at all. [/IRONY]
See, I'm not sure about the Mary Sue thing here. One consistent character trait of Kilava is that she fucks up everything she touches. I can't think of a single thing she's done in the series that didn't end in disaster.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

You may be right, that character is Gilligan-eque in their power to ruin things for other people, while suffering zero consquences.

After all that character is functionally immortal thanks to magic Imass cave paintings, the only known living Imass BoneCaster (pre-end of Malazan series), a deadbeat mom multiple times over, Soletaken, and for someone banished by the Imass for killing her entire family minus Tool; can't seem to stay away from T'lan rituals.

Back on track, I wish more there was more Emancipor Reese drugged-out-of-his-skull adventures in terror.
Or some Eel short stories. Or possibly dare I hope, a Iskarel Pust penned "How I Became Shadow High Magus in 4 simple steps" novella.
That last one really amuses me because the Spoiler blackout is really similar to shadows. Laugh damnit, laugh.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Iskarel Pust penned "How I Became Shadow High Magus in 4 simple steps" novella.

Iskaral Pust's Super Secret Diary Do Not Read That Means You Shadowthrone

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Captain_Person posted:

Iskaral Pust's Super Secret Diary Do Not Read That Means You Shadowthrone Mule

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Captain_Person posted:

Iskaral Pust's Super Secret Diary Do Not Read That Means You Shadowthrone

cptn_dr posted:

Iskaral Pust's Super Secret Diary Do Not Read That Means You Shadowthrone Mule

Correction.
Iskaral Pust's Super Secret Diary Do Not Read That Means You Shadowthrone Mule Mogara & Sordiko, I Mean It

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I'm half-way through GotM and really enjoying it but I still have no idea how the gently caress magic works. He describes things in a lot of different ways and while I feel like character arcs and world building have all been fairly cohesive for a first entry into the series, some of the words he uses to describe magic and types of magic are wonky as poo poo to me and I don't understand who has what powers and traveling between warrens and things like that. Does he explain them better ever?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Yes. Mystery always remains but your understanding will greatly increase. Even better if you have lightbulb moments where something clicks.

Papal Mainframe
May 3, 2017

Hand Row posted:

Yes. Mystery always remains but your understanding will greatly increase. Even better if you have lightbulb moments where something clicks.

I'm only in book three, and this has been one of my favorite parts of Malazan, when you make a connection between stories, or figure out something about the way magic works or certain relationships, etc. It's awesome :3:

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Papal Mainframe posted:

I'm only in book three, and this has been one of my favorite parts of Malazan, when you make a connection between stories, or figure out something about the way magic works or certain relationships, etc. It's awesome :3:

Because of stuff like this I want to re-read the whole thing at some point in the not too distant future. I imagine there will also be a whole lot of connections in the other direction, ie "Oh, that thing was introduced here already? That's so cool and explains that thing five books in the future!"

Speaking of, I've recently started on the first book in the Kharkanas trilogy and someone named T'Riss just showed up and I can't pinpoint why I feel like I recognize the name from the Malazan books. Was she even in there, or am I imagining things?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Man with Hat posted:

Speaking of, I've recently started on the first book in the Kharkanas trilogy and someone named T'Riss just showed up and I can't pinpoint why I feel like I recognize the name from the Malazan books. Was she even in there, or am I imagining things?
Yeah, named in at least the Bonehunters and some dramatis personae - it's the Queen of Dreams.

and yeah, I think I've mentioned in this thread before, but a re-read is so rewarding. I read the books as they came out and the last few really tried my patience, particularly because I forgot which of the 236 character stories were where at any given time. I don't really care about the exact mechanics of warrens or pinpointing exactly when Quick Ben reached a prestige class that allowed him to unlock the dual-casting talent tree, but being able to take in all the little details, running themes and foreshadowing make the sometimes disjointed-seeming narrative into a much richer and greater whole.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Aug 30, 2017

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yeah, named in at least the Bonehunters and some dramatis personae - it's the Queen of Dreams.

Oh, thanks!

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Man with Hat posted:

Because of stuff like this I want to re-read the whole thing at some point in the not too distant future. I imagine there will also be a whole lot of connections in the other direction, ie "Oh, that thing was introduced here already? That's so cool and explains that thing five books in the future!"

When I finished the series a couple years ago, I took a 2 or 3 month break then read the whole drat thing again. There was so much I uncovered on the second read that it was almost better than the first, even with it all still so fresh in my mind.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Fenrir posted:

When I finished the series a couple years ago, I took a 2 or 3 month break then read the whole drat thing again. There was so much I uncovered on the second read that it was almost better than the first, even with it all still so fresh in my mind.

Neat. My plan right now is to read the Kharkanas books that are done and then restart at Garden of the Moon.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Man with Hat posted:

The cavalcade of "I know that person, what the gently caress are they doing here?" is one of the best bits of Kharkanas.

Given that Blind Galan is relating the trilogy, it seems to me that T'Riss isn't the name the Tiste gave her at first, it's something that she was given later. A t' name for an amnesiac who (mid FoD spoilers) contributes so much to the Tiste schism is just too perfect, but it's not a construction that works in Tiste - or else they'd be calling themselves T'iste.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I'm really enjoying it. My only question is... what's a good source for spoiler-free character descriptions and recaps? I can see this being an issue because when I read series I usually break between books.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I'm really enjoying it. My only question is... what's a good source for spoiler-free character descriptions and recaps? I can see this being an issue because when I read series I usually break between books.

Probably the Tor Malazan Reread of the Fallen, which includes a spoilers-free recap of chapters for each book.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Don't know if this is covered anywhere in there, but, in Midnight Tides, there's a battle scene described in retrospect, between the Letherii and one of the tribes they subjugated. The guy who masterminded it is now a broken down drunk. Does anyone remember roughly where this happens in the book? I skimmed through a couple of times but couldn't find the relevant passage.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like Hull's backstory, should be pretty early on. Wouldn't use the word "masterminded", though.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Sounds like Hull's backstory, should be pretty early on. Wouldn't use the word "masterminded", though.

Nah, it's not Hull's. It's some other dude who came up with a clever strategy to wrongfoot the Lether army, and won a great victory. But, the Lether won the trade war or something, and the tribe was left destitute.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

You might be thinking of the Trell warchef Trynigarr and mixing him up with the Tarhenal that got drunk and sold his stuff for more. Can't remember his name.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

Nah, it's not Hull's. It's some other dude who came up with a clever strategy to wrongfoot the Lether army, and won a great victory. But, the Lether won the trade war or something, and the tribe was left destitute.

I think it went: Letheri trade war bankrupted the blueroses, letheri took annual dettachments of bluerose calvary as tribute in lieu of debt payment,
bluerose calvary trained the letheri army in utterly retarded stirrup placement as a secret revenge.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

I think it went: Letheri trade war bankrupted the blueroses, letheri took annual dettachments of bluerose calvary as tribute in lieu of debt payment,
bluerose calvary trained the letheri army in utterly retarded stirrup placement as a secret revenge.

That sounds like something different but it's still funny as hell

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Man with Hat posted:

That sounds like something different but it's still funny as hell

It was the Malazan's commenting on it that really sealed the deal for me. They noticed (even the non-cavalry soldiers knew enough to know it was stupid), then didn't really say anything until they were helping to train the Lether army.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

seaborgium posted:

It was the Malazan's commenting on it that really sealed the deal for me. They noticed (even the non-cavalry soldiers knew enough to know it was stupid), then didn't really say anything until they were helping to train the Lether army.

The stirrup stuff is doubly hilarious. Some theories in anthropology and history of technology say that as the development of massed cavalry was so dependent on the stirrup that we can credit the develop of knights and hence the entire system of feudalism to the introduction of the stirrup.

Given how slapstick the books treat the Letheri stirrup, I think we can guess how Erikson feels about this theory.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009
Please tell me the last book is better than Dust of Dreams...

I'm 250ish pages from finishing Dust of Dreams but it is an absolute chore to read. Every 2nd page is about different characters, every 3rd page is about characters you've never heard of and will never read about again. I've picked it up and put it down about 20 times

diapermeat fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 31, 2017

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

diapermeat posted:

I'm 250ish pages from finishing Dust of Dreams but it is an absolute chore to read. Every 2nd page is about different characters, every 3rd page is about characters you've never heard of and will never read about again. I've picked it up and put it down about 20 times

TCG is definitely a step up. It's not the best of the series, but it's decent. It's sort of a Breaking Bad situation - nobody's gonna call it a bad ending, but the finale isn't the bit you excitedly tell your mates about to get them into the series. That would be Gus Fring/Karsa Orlong.

Edit: lol j/k it's Nefarious Bredd. gently caress I'm grinning like an idiot just thinking about it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

TCG is definitely a step up. It's not the best of the series, but it's decent. It's sort of a Breaking Bad situation - nobody's gonna call it a bad ending, but the finale isn't the bit you excitedly tell your mates about to get them into the series. That would be Gus Fring/Karsa Orlong.

Edit: lol j/k it's Nefarious Bredd. gently caress I'm grinning like an idiot just thinking about it.

Nah, the massively fan servicey 200 page battle/fight scene is exactly how I'd pitch the series. It's a series that wants to tell a good story, and manages to balance that with giving the audience what they want. Deadhouse Gates as a whole is a better illustration, though. It's structured like one of those terrible licensed fantasy novels (battle scene, battle scene, fight scene, battle scene, fight scene) but written well enough to be a book you're not ashamed to read it as a grown up. It also has exactly the sort of heartbreaking ending that tons of grimdark fantasy is going for.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

diapermeat posted:

I felt the same way. Trust me, its worth it. I'm actually looking forward to DoD when i do a reread in a couple years.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

I felt the same way. Trust me, its worth it. I'm actually looking forward to DoD when i do a reread in a couple years.

Doesn't the big showdown in DoD start in the last 100 pages or so?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

and yeah, I think I've mentioned in this thread before, but a re-read is so rewarding. I read the books as they came out and the last few really tried my patience, particularly because I forgot which of the 236 character stories were where at any given time. I don't really care about the exact mechanics of warrens or pinpointing exactly when Quick Ben reached a prestige class that allowed him to unlock the dual-casting talent tree, but being able to take in all the little details, running themes and foreshadowing make the sometimes disjointed-seeming narrative into a much richer and greater whole.

I listened to the last three on audio book during a road trip, I've never been able to make it past finishing bonehunters on a reread. I know I missed a lot and its all a blur.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Cardiac posted:

Doesn't the big showdown in DoD start in the last 100 pages or so?

Yeah but it is SO loving GOOD. It makes the entire slog worth it and then some.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Normally I would screech at people who say Malazan is worth suffering through all the boring words and thinking to get to the epic anime battles but in the case of Dust of Dreams I'll... give you that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
The books including Dreams felt way less of a slog on reread. I think probably because the first time I just wanted to know where it was all going, but the second time I could enjoy delving into the side stories.