Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Whats the best book on English history, spanning from whenever up to at least the imperial era

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

fridge corn posted:

Whats the best book on English history, spanning from whenever up to at least the imperial era

Britain Begins takes you from the ice age up to the Battle of Stamford Bridge and is an excellent read.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Visiting my relatives in Sweden; they really don't like the Romani. Any good books on the history of the romani in Europe?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
a book on gypsies is not going to make people who have actually lived near or interacted with gypsies stop disliking gypsies.

also showing up at someone's house and saying 'I heard you don't like gypsies so I bought you this book on gypsies' is remarkably poor tact

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

a book on gypsies is not going to make people who have actually lived near or interacted with gypsies stop disliking gypsies.

Great stuff mate.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

also showing up at someone's house and saying 'I heard you don't like gypsies so I bought you this book on gypsies' is remarkably poor tact

Maybe he's interested in why they don't like the Rom and wants an unbiased look at a subject he doesn't know about. :shrug:

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

navyjack posted:

Maybe he's interested in why they don't like the Rom and wants an unbiased look at a subject he doesn't know about. :shrug:

That's what I figured.

I personally haven't found any good books on the topic, sadly.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

navyjack posted:

Maybe he's interested in why they don't like the Rom

i'd consider asking

Ras Het posted:

Great stuff mate.

i'm not wrong mate

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Poor tact about racism, lol.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

CharlestheHammer posted:

Poor tact about racism, lol.

gypsies aren't a race unto themselves, and anyway American ideas about race & racism translate poorly outside of the US

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 10, 2017

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Yeah Europeans don't mind the Good Gypsies, it's only the Bad Gypsies who they hate. This is not racism somehow

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ras Het posted:

Yeah Europeans don't mind the Good Gypsies, it's only the Bad Gypsies who they hate. This is not racism somehow

sure you can call it that but e.g. half the English, without hyperbole, think the Welsh, Irish and French are all different races (& disparaging one of these groups is frequently called 'racism') so trying to interpret this through that American lens of race relations is distorting & oversimplifying

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 10, 2017

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Minenfeld! posted:

That's what I figured.

gypos are illiterate which is probably why they haven't written any books about themselves

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
'Gypsy' is also often used to refer to Irish Travellers who are very definitely 'white' by American criteria

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Looking for a fairly basic read on Chinese history, from ancient to modern.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

'Gypsy' is also often used to refer to Irish Travellers who are very definitely 'white' by American criteria

Romani are a distinct culture and just because English people who spend 80% of their day slurring racial epithets in a wetherspoons think Irish travellers are the same thing it does not make it so

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Has anyone read the Andrew Roberts biography of Napoleon? How is it?

I liked it a lot, I knew next to nothing about Europe in the early 1800s so I learned a ton. Lots of maps and explainations of the political situations. Yeah, that retreat from Russia was insane. Surprised anyone lived.

I picked it up after finishing the French Revolution series from Mike Duncan's Revolutions as I wanted to learn what happened after Napolean took over.

Not gonna disagree that it was friendly to Napoleon (the author mentioned owning a lock of his hair), but still an excellent history and easy to read. I didn't know anything about the war in Spain, battle of the Pyramids, or all the battles against Austria so it was fascinating.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

gypsies aren't a race unto themselves, and anyway American ideas about race & racism translate poorly outside of the US

Lol the most American argument for why it's different.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Looking for a fairly basic read on Chinese history, from ancient to modern.

John Keay wrote a decent overview of all of Chinese history simply called China.

If you don't mind on cutting out the Ancient part of that, then Jonathan Spence's The Search for Modern China is a classic and covers their history from 1600 to the Tiananmen Square protests.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

John Keay wrote a decent overview of all of Chinese history simply called China.

If you don't mind on cutting out the Ancient part of that, then Jonathan Spence's The Search for Modern China is a classic and covers their history from 1600 to the Tiananmen Square protests.

Yeah, the Spence is pretty good. He has another good one called The Gate of Heavenly Peace.

Is "John Keay" a typo for John King Fairbanks? If not, China: A New History is good.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

navyjack posted:

Is "John Keay" a typo for John King Fairbanks? If not, China: A New History is good.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Not history, but this was a pretty cool book about Romani: http://www.herts.ac.uk/uhpress/books-content/rokkering-to-the-gorjios

There is some more good-looking stuff in related books, but I haven't read those. Also, this is even less academical, but I've liked what I read from Princes Amongst Men: https://www.amazon.com/Princes-Amongst-Men-Musicians-Paperback/dp/1852424834

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Oh, cool! I'll have to check that one out!

Crini
Sep 2, 2011
Any recommendations for books on the 1st Gulf War? Especially anything that has any insight to the Iraqi side of the conflict.

It seems like an event that has been overshadowed by later history.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

navyjack posted:

I've been working through it. It's not bad for what it is, but I think any history book with such a gigantic scope is forced to miss so much of the interesting details.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I've been working through it. It's not bad for what it is, but I think any history book with such a gigantic scope is forced to miss so much of the interesting details.

It’s a good overview. He also did one on India, which I liked a lot because I knew so little going into it. Spun me off into more targeted books, felt like it gave me a better background to understand those more targeted works. China will do the same if you’re mostly unfamiliar with it all.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Hi thread, what's a good book on the history of North Korea? Most I can find are books from defectors on their experience, which is not really what I'm looking for.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

thehoodie posted:

Hi thread, what's a good book on the history of North Korea? Most I can find are books from defectors on their experience, which is not really what I'm looking for.

Lankov's The Real North Korea. I know it's not what you're looking for but Dermick's book on defectors is a measured and detailed contribution and is good for painting a picture on daily life there. Avoid the book by the guy who worked for George Bush, can't remember his name.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Depends on your level of interest a bit, but I'd recommend A Consice History of Modern Korea by Michael J Seth. It's not just on North Korea but it goes into reasonable detail, and in my opinion it's important to get a broader perspective both on the lead-up to the situation since the partition and to see South Korea's development in parallel.

Incidentally if anyone is looking for a book on Korean history in general I'd strongly recommend his full one (I haven't actually read the Modern history book, but from my understanding it's basically the back half of this)- it's pretty comprehensive and goes over the contentious stuff (of which there is a hell of a lot in Korean history) in probably the most balanced and objective way I've found.

Mr. World
May 6, 2007
Working undercover for the man . . .

thehoodie posted:

My go to for that is "Under the loving care of the fatherly leader" by Brad Martin. It's long and extremely well researched. Fortunately the writing is excellent as well so it never felt like a slog.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mr. World posted:

My go to for that is "Under the loving care of the fatherly leader" by Brad Martin. It's long and extremely well researched. Fortunately the writing is excellent as well so it never felt like a slog.

Seconding Under the Loving Care.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

navyjack posted:

I can third this recommendation. I have it on my shelf and while it's a very general history, it's a good introduction which is exactly what I needed given that my knowledge of China was so lacking. Keay also tries to counteract the tendency of general histories to get more and more detailed as the timeline closes in on the present so the parts on ancient China make up a good chunk of the book.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I somehow managed to forget I picked up a copy of The Plantagenets so another long read is in the queue

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

This looks terrific. Added to my list. Thanks!

radlum
May 13, 2013

Minenfeld! posted:

That's what I figured.

That's pretty much what I meant; I want to know more about the topic from someone that actually knows about the culture instead of opinions of people annoyed by them.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Any good books about the Seven Years War or The Austrian War of Succession?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Does anyone have any good recommendations for books on the Byzantine Empire?

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.

a7m2 posted:

Anything by Steven Runciman. At least his Fall of Constantinople 1453.

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

a7m2 posted:

Norwich's A Short History of Byzantium is fun. It's (I think) an abridged version of the three-volume series he did on Byzantium, but finding all three volumes might be a bit tricky since they've been out of print for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

a7m2 posted:

Judith Herrin has written a couple of books about female emperors. Also Cyril Mango's The Oxford History of Byzantium is good for an overview.