Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Personal NPC shop like in the older games would be an elegant solution for sale of disposable items. Currency, maybe skill gems and maps. That, and improved AFK/DND tracking would solve most reasonable grievances with the current state of affairs. Hell, just an actually responsive player availability status tracking would go a long way.

Yeah, the biggest annoyance I have with trading now is waiting on responses. I dont know how you could fix that though. A facebook style "this player usually responds within X minutes" could be too easily gamed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Minrad posted:

it becomes easier for bots to just start buying up items or selling them, items would more frequently be sold out when you go to buy them but it's not like this isn't already a problem

Would it really make life easier for bots? I'm pretty sure I could put a bot together in ahk that would be indistinguishable from 99% of the people I trade with. Maybe they're bots already, who would know?

Also, if the indexer wasn't third party it would (mostly) solve the issue of items being sold when you tried to buy them, even without afk player shops.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
After reading all the arguments over the past few weeks for the various types of trading automation that could be implemented I think that I agree with a currency AH and the "in-game" shop idea for other items.

I can't stand the scammer witch hunting that goes on for people that attempt to pay less than something is "worth" or charge more than something is "worth" (it's a game with a player driven economy, it's not a really a big deal if someone feels bad because they didn't know what something was worth and got ripped off) but I agree that the attempts at price fixing are pretty annoying. Exalts on HHC were down to 20c over the weekend and back up to 40c today (I have no idea why I didn't try and dump my stock of chaos into exalts but that's on me), I have no idea if that 20c was the real price or it was a mass price fix and I couldn't have bought any at that price anyway.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The trading system was one of the things that drew me to Poe it reminds me of old games.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Aug 21, 2017

psy.Che
Feb 23, 2011
Funny to see that the lovely D3-Was-Bad-Because-Of-AH-Argument is still being used in 2017.

Anyway, I understand why GGG want some frictionto be involved in trading, but let's be real, the friction right now is extremely unevenly distributed and GGG shouldn't be happy with that. On the one hand, you have noobs desperately trying to buy a popular unique and getting really frustrated with nobody responding to their whispers/everything being already sold. Also, they're likely to get scammed in some way. On the other hand, you have people using bots and all that stuff to feed on the noobs and get rich.

I've got great nostalgic feelings for D2 too, but let's not kid ourselves: From today's perspective, the trading system as well as much of the other "friction" stuff (scrolls, inventory space,...) that PoE has copied all to faithfully, is just poor game design. It would own if people could get over their nostalgia a bit and try to separate what makes D2/PoE a great game from what doesn't.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

There's nothing wrong in getting scammed, and there's plenty of unrelated to Diablo 3 arguments against auction house. Botting issues are present in every game with an auction house, the price gap between mediocre and good items will just grow.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008
Somehow I've gotten multiple 90s every league without running into the essence drain exile, ulysses morvant. Worst of all, got him as part of a vorici mission in a t14. Anyway has LMP ED with really fast attack speed that one shots my 5.5k hp. Is there anything besides an amythest flask to help against him? Seemed stupidly overpowered.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

There's nothing wrong in getting scammed

:lol:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

10bux posted:

Somehow I've gotten multiple 90s every league without running into the essence drain exile, ulysses morvant. Worst of all, got him as part of a vorici mission in a t14. Anyway has LMP ED with really fast attack speed that one shots my 5.5k hp. Is there anything besides an amythest flask to help against him? Seemed stupidly overpowered.

well he is using one of the best skills in the game, be glad there is no scorching ray or dark pact exile

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Writing a bot to use the current system to buy and sell things is near trivial. Everything is set up to make it very easy.

Actually, having to navigate to an NPC or something in a hideout to do trading would reduce the number of bots having success.

Boring
Nov 29, 2004

nuhhh
goons I have a closed beta account from like 2012 with a bronze kiwi and 470 in game currency on it that I abandoned before the game came out, is it worth anything?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

vOv posted:

Can you imagine if you could list items for sale in-game, but you had to buy an MTX to do it? Man, that would suck.

Oh no my couple of dollars

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i've got 20 dollars of stash tabs and have still only spent as much as i would on a game of poe's age in a steam sale

if you need to spend much more than that and you aren't making money off of playing through being a stream-star like mathil or ziggy you're keeping too much stuff

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sillybones posted:

Writing a bot to use the current system to buy and sell things is near trivial. Everything is set up to make it very easy.

Actually, having to navigate to an NPC or something in a hideout to do trading would reduce the number of bots having success.

Buying things with bot then will be much easier than now. Selling is, and has been, trivial for a while now.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Boring posted:

goons I have a closed beta account from like 2012 with a bronze kiwi and 470 in game currency on it that I abandoned before the game came out, is it worth anything?

50 bux maybe?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I suspect that the biggest failing with the D3 AH was, as someone touched on, the items being bought and sold. There was (and is) simply not enough depth to the usable item pool in D3 to support a marketplace.

In PoE, on the other hand, there's a far wider and deeper pool of useful items, which will help cushion against an AH's tendency to create more extreme gaps between peak goods and low/mid tier goods.

This all stems from the fact that top-tier D3 items are legendaries with minimal variance, while top POE items tend to be rares with tremendous variance.

Were I GGG, I wouldn't touch a RMAH for non-MTX items at this point, but porting poe.trade into an in-game interface could be explored safely.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Were I GGG, I wouldn't touch a RMAH for non-MTX items at this point, but porting poe.trade into an in-game interface could be explored safely.
Porting poe.trade into an in-game interface, without any buying automation, would be fantastic, but probably won't ever happen for UX/UI reasons alone, even if the GGG will step over their stance that views existence of poe.trade as a crisis situation. Although, they aren't really that invested in good UI/UX to begin with, so who knows.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Porting poe.trade into an in-game interface, without any buying automation, would be fantastic, but probably won't ever happen for UX/UI reasons alone, even if the GGG will step over their stance that views existence of poe.trade as a crisis situation. Although, they aren't really that invested in good UI/UX to begin with, so who knows.

Well I didn't mean literally opening a web browser in-game that links to poe.trade, I meant stealing the functionality exactly and building it into an NPC or something.

I mean, you can get half the functionality of the former by using the Steam web browser.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

No trading chat without me. I knew I woke up an hourish early for a reason. When everyone wants the exact same thing then your system sucks (d3).

hakimashou posted:

The trading system was one of the things that drew me to Poe it reminds me of old games.

This is s good portion of the reason. I absolutely hated d2 trading as a child.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I enjoy POE's trading system and think it's basically fine as-is with poe.trade* a nice halfway house between trade being frustratingly difficult vs slick to the point that it messes up the game :shobon:

*When it's working

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Fusings are expensive right now so you're probably better off buying things linked than linking them yourself until endgame.

unlesss it's a rare with insane stats its almost never worth it to link something yourself. Just buy it 6 linked.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I finally did a post buff beachhead

kinda... sucky? the exp was decent at least, half a level @ 88.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Well I didn't mean literally opening a web browser in-game that links to poe.trade, I meant stealing the functionality exactly and building it into an NPC or something.

I mean, you can get half the functionality of the former by using the Steam web browser.

Neither did I mean that either, what the gently caress. :psyduck:

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Hit t1 life on first essence and then haku/scoured the affixes.

Only have like 5 ex left over so I guess I'll just multimod it for now?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Neither did I mean that either, what the gently caress. :psyduck:

I guess I misread your post then. Sorry pal.

I'm not wild about adding "messy" friction to a marketplace as a means of controlling its impact on a market. I'd define "messy" as "generated by systems not directly implemented by the game itself." So forcing people to use a third party trading website is very messy friction. Putting a tax on an in-game AH is not messy friction.

My concern with messy friction is that it opens the door to all sorts of undesirable elements at the same time. If you bring that friction in house, you can control those elements - scammers, etc - better. Sales tax (paid via in-game currency) is a good place to start. Limiting the number of items players can sell at a given time, how many can be sold within a week, etc. are also options.

Interestingly, POE has a system in place to facilitate AHs better than D3 ever did. Because SSF is an actual check box that the game recognizes, you could change drop rates. In normal Harbinger league your drop rate could be X (lowered to account for existence of AH), but if you're a SSF character, it's 5x or whatever. If you ever move your character from SSF to normal league, you'd switch drop rates.

This would tempt people to build an SSF character to farm for items and them pull them over to normal league for sale, but once you move the character you lose those drop rates, so I'm not sure there'd be enough incentive to do it enough to matter.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I suspect that the biggest failing with the D3 AH was, as someone touched on, the items being bought and sold. There was (and is) simply not enough depth to the usable item pool in D3 to support a marketplace.

Nah, the problem was that the loot drop rates sucked, so buying the gear you needed off the AH became the only viable way to progress in higher difficulties. Dying was expensive as hell (you had to repair your gear), so after reaching a certain point most people just gave up on the game itself and sat and spammed "refresh" on the AH hoping for better items.

This problem was made much worse by the fact that you could use real money to buy items, so people with disposable income spent hundreds/thousands of dollars to buy the stuff they needed, which in turn allowed them to make more money because they could then do the content that gave good drops. It was like a kick in the nuts to an already annoyed playerbase.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I'm not wild about adding "messy" friction to a marketplace as a means of controlling its impact on a market.
Same, which is why I mentioned earlier that I'd like in-game function equivalent to poe.trade.

Not sure I'm all on board with all the taxation and ~le scammer protection~.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

This would tempt people to build an SSF character to farm for items and them pull them over to normal league for sale, but once you move the character you lose those drop rates, so I'm not sure there'd be enough incentive to do it enough to matter.

naw, this bit would not work, then you'd use another character to mule over items from ssf to the regular league

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Same, which is why I mentioned earlier that I'd like in-game function equivalent to poe.trade.

Not sure I'm all on board with all the taxation and ~le scammer protection~.

i too think its good for a game to poo poo on its new player base as soon as it can.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Holyshoot posted:

i too think its good for a game to poo poo on its new player base as soon as it can.
Imagine how awesome it will be when GGG will set prices for every item and/or starts moderating trades based on popular perception of "scam".

New players should be taught, not spoon-fed their way into a hugbox in a game that tries to be all about "freedom" and "hardcore experience".

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

i dont find POE to be "hardcore" in any common meaning of the word

i played it when it first came out and it was a LOT harder back then

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

i dont find POE to be "hardcore" in any common meaning of the word

i played it when it first came out and it was a LOT harder back then

It is a brutal game for new players, by all means. Doesn't mean you can't learn to play it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

meh, once you figure out the basics of the socket system it's pretty easy

i mean it's a deep game for sure, but i wouldn't say it's brutal

dark souls is brutal

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

poe is incredibly accessible, if you've played d2, and a lot less so if you haven't

they have a common audio/visual language that subconsciously tells you what's going on, if you already know the language

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

meh, once you figure out the basics of the socket system it's pretty easy

i mean it's a deep game for sure, but i wouldn't say it's brutal

dark souls is brutal
You vastly underestimate how bad newbies can be.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Imagine how awesome it will be when GGG will set prices for every item and/or starts moderating trades based on popular perception of "scam".

New players should be taught, not spoon-fed their way into a hugbox in a game that tries to be all about "freedom" and "hardcore experience".

Imagine how awesome it will be when some bored dude realizes that you don't need any currency to do market manipulation, just half a dozen VMs and an AHK script to keep AFK mode off. Part of the "hardcore experience" shouldn't be getting a hundred whispers a minute because you didn't know the 30 lowest prices on tabula were all fake.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Eminai posted:

Imagine how awesome it will be when some bored dude realizes that you don't need any currency to do market manipulation, just half a dozen VMs and an AHK script to keep AFK mode off. Part of the "hardcore experience" shouldn't be getting a hundred whispers a minute because you didn't know the 30 lowest prices on tabula were all fake.
:thunk:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

In PoE, on the other hand, there's a far wider and deeper pool of useful items, which will help cushion against an AH's tendency to create more extreme gaps between peak goods and low/mid tier goods.

This all stems from the fact that top-tier D3 items are legendaries with minimal variance, while top POE items tend to be rares with tremendous variance.

Drop Rates in D3 were abysmal. To the point you could reach A5 Inferno (pre-nerf) without ever finding a unique. Not to say the uniques would even be useable - most were vendor trash. It was set low enough that even bots would find maybe 1-2 things of value every day.

Inferno was also insanely overtuned at launch to the point I need essentially the equivalent of rares with 5-6 good mods on it to survive past act 2. The damage was that stupid especially if you weren't a bug abusing Wizard or DH who just offscreened everything. Also everyone was looking at the same items with 5+ good mods with only the main stat being different or maybe you'd get all of the same type of resistance if you were a monk. All Res - Armor - Vit - Main Stat - Crit - Crit Damage - Aspd. Essentially the whole market was looking for the equivalent for 100+ total res boots with 30% movespeed 100 hp and 1k armor and there weren't even uniques you could use instead.

It was also compounded by the fact that there wasn't a cap to damage reduction/resists. So you could ALWAYS have more.

Another issue was there wasn't any build diversity. You couldn't change your stats or anything levelling up. So everyone was the same at 60 with the only difference being skill set but all that meant was everyone used the same exact thing because it was the most efficient so any slight gear differences (such as stacking 1 res on monk) didn't matter. Imagine the Mathil effect on Gear but it never ended and no one needed to even level up a new character to do that build people saw could actually do shaper or clear fast.

Kild fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 21, 2017

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
as someone who kind of casually enjoys this game, the forever-war mindset poe players have where any criticism of this game implies a traitorous incivisme sympathy for That Other ARPG is probably the worst part of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the second worst part of it is how much out-of-game knowledge you're expected to accumulate about the economy if you want to function, yeah