Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Adam and Steve? No...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I think the plebiscite should be conducted by *straightens tie* Galaxy Research.

With a sample of Courier Mail readers.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

I think the plebiscite should be conducted by *straightens tie* Galaxy Research.

With a sample of Courier Mail readers.

It should be a skynews twitter poll.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fun fact: the (extremely discredited, obviously) study surveyed 17 lesbian couples/3 gay male couples with children.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Don Dongington posted:

My VDSL modem syncs at 97/38 or something like that, but about the only service I get that speed on is Steam, and probably because iiNet are running QOS on that poo poo because it's locally hosted and costs them nothing.

Torrents are hit and miss as gently caress, and speed test rarely reports at higher than 50mbps.

Also fun fact: my wifi and NAS's CPU are both pretty massive choke points at that speed, because consumer gear is garbage. Upgrading it all to 'prosumer' grade gear when I move house, assuming I don't lose the cable lottery this time.

man how far are you from the node/exchange, i only get 61/9 on my VDSL.

Cleretic posted:

There is literally no way that this stunt can turn out well for Turnbull and the LNP, it's actually kind of stunning. They've come up with an idea so bad that it's straight-up impossible for it to turn out in their favor.

I'd say 'they must be hoping the High Court say no', but even that doesn't really paint them in a good light, it means they have nobody to blame but themselves for loving this one up.

the piece of the puzzle you're missing is that this is a brilliant idea from the conservative wing of the party. it's not gonna turn out well for Turnbull and the party as a whole, but who wins in that scenario? :ssh: it's Abbott

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Aug 21, 2017

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

SHARE ON FACEBOOK

SHARE ON TWITTER

LINK

:yeah:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

MikeJF posted:

Fun fact: the (extremely discredited, obviously) study surveyed 17 lesbian couples/3 gay male couples with children.

It was also published in a pay-to-publish (AKA not a real) journal.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The scenario in that article will not occur because yes is going to wipe the floor with no on the unweighted sample, and even more so on the weighted sample

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Other than the polling that shows “definite” voters strongly favouring yes (which is the most reliable way to estimate non-compulsory votes), anecdotally I know a lot of people who don’t give a poo poo about politics who are updating their enrolment details so they can vote yes.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

MikeJF posted:

How did they get 92%, 51%, and 72% of a population without having at least 100 children in the study? Those are either some very fertile parents, or they're making their numbers up.

(it's the 2nd)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Liberal MP Ann Sudmalis lists British nationality on 1966 passenger card

RIP

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

racing identity posted:

The scenario in that article will not occur because yes is going to wipe the floor with no on the unweighted sample, and even more so on the weighted sample

i want yes to win as much as the next non-homophobe and i even think it'd probably gonna win but remember that that auspol has mysterious ways of letting us down even when victory seems certain

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The only thing that is certain is death.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

thatbastardken posted:

Adam and Steve? No...

Same.

I'm all for gay Marriage, but Adam and Steve are both jerks and I don't want them to be happy.

Gay Marriage for all apart from Adam and Steve!

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This 4 corners, punters talking about predatory lending. 2008 wasn't that long ago, did people learn nothing? Makes me angry and just kind of gobsmacked

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

The only thing that is certain is death.

Until the Liberals gently caress that up as well somehow.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

EoinCannon posted:

This 4 corners, punters talking about predatory lending. 2008 wasn't that long ago, did people learn nothing? Makes me angry and just kind of gobsmacked

I feel really sad for the people losing their only home, less sad for the investors who tried to cash in and failed.

Banks are scum in both cases though.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Cleretic posted:

There is literally no way that this stunt can turn out well for Turnbull and the LNP, it's actually kind of stunning. They've come up with an idea so bad that it's straight-up impossible for it to turn out in their favor.

I'd say 'they must be hoping the High Court say no', but even that doesn't really paint them in a good light, it means they have nobody to blame but themselves for loving this one up.

I said tonight (and stand by it) that the HCA coming back and saying "nah" is the best outcome for Turnbull. That way he gets to say "gee gosh we tried, those meanie judges amirite?" and doesn't have to deal with the possible outcomes of it going ahead, which are all bad for him one way or another.

Some nights the only thing that helps me sleep is knowing how badly he does.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I feel really sad for the people losing their only home, less sad for the investors who tried to cash in and failed.

Banks are scum in both cases though.

Those 2 oldies crying poor cos their investment properties might get repossessed cos they believed there was "no risk" don't get much sympathy from me.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

EoinCannon posted:

Well, over on America the bill to remove all of the post-2008 investment reforms has passed the house and is in the senate, so really the world is heading straight back in there.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

As someone who grew up fairly poor, the idea of owning your own home and then putting it on the line is insane.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Fuuuuuuuck this is all so hosed, this is going to crater the economy when people start defaulting in numbers

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

EoinCannon posted:

Fuuuuuuuck this is all so hosed, this is going to crater the economy when people start defaulting in numbers

Its ok, the banks will massively increase their property portfolio, so there is no need to worry, shareholders will still get a dividend.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

dr_rat posted:

Same.

I'm all for gay Marriage, but Adam and Steve are both jerks and I don't want them to be happy.

Gay Marriage for all apart from Adam and Steve!

Now Ada and Eve, those girls are top-notch.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Whitlam posted:

I said tonight (and stand by it) that the HCA coming back and saying "nah" is the best outcome for Turnbull. That way he gets to say "gee gosh we tried, those meanie judges amirite?" and doesn't have to deal with the possible outcomes of it going ahead, which are all bad for him one way or another.

Some nights the only thing that helps me sleep is knowing how badly he does.

There is no winning situation for him. Options listed in order of likelyhood.

The poll goes in favour of same sex marriage and it goes to a free vote that passes: Conservative coalition members are pissed and Turnbull gets none of the credit for it passing about those left of the conservatives. Coalition stays low in polls and Turnbull has a leadership challenge.

The poll goes in favour of same sex marriage and it goes to a free vote that fails: Everyone left of the conservatives is pissed. Coalition stays low in polls and Turnbull has a leadership challenge since despite doing the conservatives bidding he isn't one of them and the moderate Libs have no faith in him to push their agenda.

The poll goes in favour of same sex marriage and it doesn't go to a free vote: open rebellion from coalition MP's who are in favour of marriage equality. Free vote passes with multiple mp's crossing the floor, Turnbull faces a leadership challenge as he is seen as unable to control government.

The poll goes against same sex marriage and it goes to a free vote anyway. Conservative Coalition members immediately roll Turnbull.

The poll goes against same sex marriage and it doesn't go to a free vote. Turnbull is a weak leader, the side he whispered in support of lost and he loses support of moderates, while the conservatives still don't support him. Leadership spill occurs.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

EoinCannon posted:

This is the liberals fault for letting it get so bad and doing literally nothing to prevent it or even slow it down, and then attacking Labor when they made tentative milquetoast rumblings about scaling back negative gearing by claiming that they are attacking the family home. gently caress the Libs reason #541.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
All of this is academic because by the time the plebiscite vote comes back we will be in full blow constitutional crisis mode.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
If we constitutionally lock ourselves out of politics and into anarchy I'll be pretty happy.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

"Your parents are disgusting faggots"
[child starts crying]
[researcher ticks "depression" box]

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Not hating this Bill.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

thatbastardken posted:

Adam and Steve? No...

You know, biblically speaking Adam and Eve are the biggest fuckups ever. Maybe Adam and Steve, or Ada and Eve would have done better...

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

just remembered bill leak is dead, lol

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BBJoey posted:

just remembered bill leak is dead, lol

I'm sad he didn't live to die of rage at gays getting married.

I'm not sad he'll never be making GBS threads on aboriginals or the lgbtqi+ community again.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I mean at least if it were Adam and Steve childbirth wouldn't be painful and instead we'd have a lot more dick pain.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Oh yeah there's no good (or even "good") outcome for Turnbull on this. A "you can't do that" from the HCA at least lets him pretend he was going to totally either follow or abandon the plebiscite results, depending on who he's talking to.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Lol at buying an investment property in Mandurah. :tif:

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

bigis posted:

Lol at buying an investment property in Mandurah. :tif:

Apparently Mandurah is a hot spot for ross river fever/virus but noone likes to talk about it because it might lower property values.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

NPR Journalizard posted:

Apparently Mandurah is a hot spot for ross river fever/virus but noone likes to talk about it because it might lower property values.

welp

RIP my nanna

Jibs Monteef
Dec 13, 2009

NPR Journalizard posted:

it's also a good place to get crabs

AMA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Anyone surprised that western Sydney was going to be where they started drug testing welfare recipients

• Locked thread