Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

BrigadierSensible posted:

It's probably been posted, but if you want the best dinosaur related 90s cartoon you can't go much better than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy7fO2i9y94

Dinosaucers. Dinosaurs, but from space with cool spaceships and laser guns.

Except that show is from 1987.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1acEVmnVhI

One of my favorite songs.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

You Are A Elf posted:

Except that show is from 1987.

I'll give you that, but the aesthetic that we think of as 90s actually began around 1988, just like the 90s ended in 2001.

This commercial is from 1988 but is extremely 90s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJZYRK6KAX4

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Pastry of the Year posted:

I'll give you that, but the aesthetic that we think of as 90s actually began around 1988, just like the 90s ended in 2001.

I always said from the fall of the wall to the fall of the towers, which almost kinda fits with your timeline.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
It's early 2000's, but it still feels pretty 90's to me (from the GIF thread)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

The Repo Man posted:

It's early 2000's, but it still feels pretty 90's to me (from the GIF thread)

Cultural Decades rarely line up with calendar ones. The "60s" didn't really get going until like 1964/65 and ended in 71 or so and so on.

Also, remember record stores? Where you'd go to buy like CDs and things?

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Wacky Delly posted:

Cultural Decades rarely line up with calendar ones. The "60s" didn't really get going until like 1964/65 and ended in 71 or so and so on.

Also, remember record stores? Where you'd go to buy like CDs and things?

I drive by a record store/dvd thrift shop every day after work. There are still a few up and kickin' here and there.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Record stores haven't quite kicked the bucket.
Big chain music stores have. Things like Virgin Music or Sanity were places you go to browse $20 CD singles.
They are still around and surprisingly keep afloat.

But the vinyl resurgence has moved the market into secondhand shops which do also stock modern releases. It'll be interesting to see how long they last.

BogDew has a new favorite as of 14:31 on Jul 29, 2017

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Pastry of the Year posted:

I'll give you one year earlier from a commercial I saw many times during Saturday mornings and USA's Cartoon Express:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md_uz1dKMTM

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The original Whatcamacallits were nice, then they changed it, and it wasn't as good.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

Randaconda posted:

The original Whatcamacallits were nice, then they changed it, and it wasn't as good.

Doodad
Skidmarink
Whatchamacallit

Also I owned a local, small record store until 2007, when I had a kid and got out of the business before the vinyl resurgence really took off. Just my luck.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gainesvill, FL had a really nice used cd shop for years, but it went out of business, sadly.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

For some reason, last week I got on a TV theme bender at work, and was reminded that there was a point in time when Paul Reiser was in a top-rated sitcom.

I can't be the only one that forgot Mad About You existed, can I? That show was a thursday night staple that died on off-network syndication.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
The only thing I remember about Mad About You is the theme song. It was catchy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Helen Hunt won the Emmy for best lead comedy actress four years in a row for that show. It's like how Candice Bergen got the award five times in a row for Murphy Brown but basically the only thing I think anyone remembers about Murphy Brown is its feud with Dan Quayle.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I think it was just the era; that show ended right before off-network syndication became a viable way for shows to make extra money, so I think it ended up doing a couple of circuits of Lifetime and TNT and ended up in the DVD bargain bin.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Neito posted:

I think it was just the era; that show ended right before off-network syndication became a viable way for shows to make extra money, so I think it ended up doing a couple of circuits of Lifetime and TNT and ended up in the DVD bargain bin.

In the 80's and first half of the 90's I remember cable as a luxury. I was stuck with an antenna in the house until 1994 when we got cable for what my mom described as "a good deal." Getting TV over the air back then was different, I remember watching shows like The Addam's Family, Giligan's Island, and The Brady Bunch all the time when I was off from school. Saturday and Sunday afternoons there was usually a decent movie on (I saw John Carpenter's The Thing so many times). It's definitely a far cry now where it's mostly infomercials from 10 am until 3 pm.

I think what happened is that in 1994, DirecTV went live and gave your cable providers a run for their money as now they all had competition that didn't require buying a massive dish. Which in turn made it much more lucrative for syndication to go to stations that were not OTA. I remember stations like TBS advertising hours of shows (I think Mad About You was one) every morning and evening. Hell, in the early 2000's I would watch Law and Order episodes all night on TNT (or was it A&E?).

I currently use only an antenna for my TV viewing, so I get all those wonderful little sub-channels where I can watch all those old shows, as far as I know it's the only way I can watch Night Court, Roseanne, or The Drew Carey Show. Hell, Buzzer is a fun one where I can catch an episode of Family Feud from 1980.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
I was actually thinking about Mad About You a few months ago, and I'd always thought it was the most boring, bland television show ever made. Whenever I picture the show I just see them dressed in their yuppie clothes in their yuppie apartment, it's night time, having boring banter back and forth, and their immaculately groomed dog will occasionally wander into the scene. The whole thing was just so sterile.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Duck_King posted:

I was actually thinking about Mad About You a few months ago, and I'd always thought it was the most boring, bland television show ever made. Whenever I picture the show I just see them dressed in their yuppie clothes in their yuppie apartment, it's night time, having boring banter back and forth, and their immaculately groomed dog will occasionally wander into the scene. The whole thing was just so sterile.

"Post the most 90s thing you can find"

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

That's actually kind of interesting, how we seem to simultaneously remember the 90s as this neon-colored world of buzz clips and x-treme sports, and also as bland, inoffensive, and boring.

edit: In conclusion, the nineties were a decade of contrasts.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

My Twitter Account posted:

That's actually kind of interesting, how we seem to simultaneously remember the 90s as this neon-colored world of buzz clips and x-treme sports, and also as bland, inoffensive, and boring.

edit: In conclusion, the nineties were a decade of contrasts.

It depends on where in the 90's you look. '87 to about '92 were the neon-90's. '93 to about '98 were the "Grunge" 90's, and about '99 on is where the 2000's happened.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

The 2000s very definitively started on September 11th, 2001 and ended sometime in '08.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Neito posted:

FXX had it a few years ago. I stumbled upon one episode out of boredom one day. It wasn't that bad.

Iron Crowned posted:

In the 80's and first half of the 90's I remember cable as a luxury. I was stuck with an antenna in the house until 1994 when we got cable for what my mom described as "a good deal." Getting TV over the air back then was different, I remember watching shows like The Addam's Family, Giligan's Island, and The Brady Bunch all the time when I was off from school. Saturday and Sunday afternoons there was usually a decent movie on (I saw John Carpenter's The Thing so many times). It's definitely a far cry now where it's mostly infomercials from 10 am until 3 pm.

I think what happened is that in 1994, DirecTV went live and gave your cable providers a run for their money as now they all had competition that didn't require buying a massive dish. Which in turn made it much more lucrative for syndication to go to stations that were not OTA. I remember stations like TBS advertising hours of shows (I think Mad About You was one) every morning and evening. Hell, in the early 2000's I would watch Law and Order episodes all night on TNT (or was it A&E?).

I currently use only an antenna for my TV viewing, so I get all those wonderful little sub-channels where I can watch all those old shows, as far as I know it's the only way I can watch Night Court, Roseanne, or The Drew Carey Show. Hell, Buzzer is a fun one where I can catch an episode of Family Feud from 1980.

Mini-satellite dishes were rumored for a few years. That's the reason I was stuck with four channels for a few years in not just the rural south, but BFE rural south. Dad didn't want a honking big dish in his yard and it wasn't until Jan/Feb 1995 that we got a Primestar.

During that era, Fox had the afternoon kids block, which lasted from 3-5. There was so much that aired during a 10-year period - Super Mario Brothers Super Show, Bonkers, The Tick, Tiny Toon Adventures, DuckTales (I think), Goof Troop, Darkwing Duck, Eek, Animaniacs and Batman The Animated Series.

TBS used to be a different animal in the 1980s. I was going through some old tapes and found a variety of nature documentaries with the TBS logo in the corner.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RC and Moon Pie posted:

During that era, Fox had the afternoon kids block, which lasted from 3-5. There was so much that aired during a 10-year period - Super Mario Brothers Super Show, Bonkers, The Tick, Tiny Toon Adventures, DuckTales (I think), Goof Troop, Darkwing Duck, Eek, Animaniacs and Batman The Animated Series.

Something I hadn't thought about was that Saturday morning and weekday afternoon cartoons no longer exist on broadcast TV, which is weird.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

TBS used to be a different animal in the 1980s. I was going through some old tapes and found a variety of nature documentaries with the TBS logo in the corner.

That does remind me, in the 90's TBS's schedule was shifted by 5 minutes.

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009

Neito posted:

The 2000s very definitively started on September 11th, 2001 and ended sometime in '08.

I agree. For me, the 2000s ended around the time of this album:

It's the climax of all the 80s nostalgia built up by then. After that Lady Gaga, Katy Perry and Nicki MInaj dropped their 80s influences and started the art pop trend of the 20-teens. Pop culture has been much weirder this decade.

You know what I miss about the 90s? Late-90s glam rap sitcom intros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztL5XGvSXwg

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
The cultural 90's were between November 9th, 1989 to September 10th, 2001.

All of a sudden the Cold War is no longer a thing, so in the US, there's no longer this easy bogeyman to blame poo poo on. Combine that with the easy victory of the Persian Gulf War and you've got a recipe for a cultural arrogance of "we know what's best."

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

eminkey2003 posted:

I agree. For me, the 2000s ended around the time of this album:

It's the climax of all the 80s nostalgia built up by then. After that Lady Gaga, Katy Perry and Nicki MInaj dropped their 80s influences and started the art pop trend of the 20-teens. Pop culture has been much weirder this decade.

You know what I miss about the 90s? Late-90s glam rap sitcom intros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztL5XGvSXwg

https://youtu.be/FCSh48OlvMo seems like it would be insanely down your alley, going off of this post and this post alone.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Neito posted:

Yeah, this. I can't pin an exact date in 2008, but it was definitely the triple threat of the recession, Obama, and smartphones that kicked off the 2010s.

Englishman alone
Nov 28, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah, this. I can't pin an exact date in 2008, but it was definitely the triple threat of the recession, Obama, and smartphones that kicked off the 2010s.

The end of the 2000s for me was I think either Bear of Lehman going under or possibly Northen Rock as through my school days in 2000s there was a feeling there would be jobs when finished uni and suddenly everything was up in the air with no idea what will happen next.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is Trump winning the 2020s starting early? :v:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I like your optimism. :smith:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is Trump winning the 2020s starting early? :v:

If the 2020s keep up the current trend, probably.

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009

Grassy Knowles posted:

https://youtu.be/FCSh48OlvMo seems like it would be insanely down your alley, going off of this post and this post alone.

Interesting. Nice to see Tiffany Haddish and Hannibal Burress in there.

Y'know, visually, Friends is the least 90s sitcom. Besides the sweaters and the Rachel, Seinfeld looks way more 90s.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

eminkey2003 posted:

Interesting. Nice to see Tiffany Haddish and Hannibal Burress in there.

Y'know, visually, Friends is the least 90s sitcom. Besides the sweaters and the Rachel, Seinfeld looks way more 90s.

Go watch season 1 again and say that.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I've been on a 90's wrestling kick while bored at work.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
https://youtu.be/hkLNW38OVNo

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Instant Sunrise posted:

The cultural 90's were between November 9th, 1989 to September 10th, 2001.

All of a sudden the Cold War is no longer a thing, so in the US, there's no longer this easy bogeyman to blame poo poo on. Combine that with the easy victory of the Persian Gulf War and you've got a recipe for a cultural arrogance of "we know what's best."

This plus the advent of computing as a serious home information source due to the internet. People remember the 90s much more fondly because it definitly was this era of information boom and awe.

As you said, no more cold war, everyone is friends! It genuingly gave people (in the west) a time of positivity until Bush and 9-11 changed everything.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nutsngum posted:

As you said, no more cold war, everyone is friends! It genuinely gave people (in the west) a time of positivity until Bush and 9-11 changed everything.

All despite of your job being a joke, being broke, and your love life D-O-A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

All despite of your job being a joke, being broke, and your love life D-O-A.

Yeah, it was like I was always stuck in second gear