Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Oh, that reminds me of something. Not sure if anyone's posted this yet. Griffin is donating the proceeds of every sale from his Bandcamp page this month to the Southern Poverty Law Center. So if you've been wanting an excuse to get the good TAZ music, this is it.

This is it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
SPLC is very good

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I was going to joke that Griffin could keep up his music producing and eventually open for Porter Robinson, but that's poor optics now huh.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Democratic Pirate posted:

I was going to joke that Griffin could keep up his music producing and eventually open for Porter Robinson, but that's poor optics now huh.

Hope you enjoy the experience of simply cybersex blast off into cybersex Nick Robinson.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ariong posted:

Please keep posting whenever you hit a big moment like this, it makes me very happy.

Thanks, I'll do my best!

Listened to Lunar Interlude 4 earlier on and Taako using the persuasion item he just got to get Garfield to give him the flaming sword was so loving funny, oh my god, I was in hysterics. Also the Merle's kids stuff was utterly adorable. I wonder how they collaborated to come up with that, and if Clint or Griffin suggested it. Not to mention the actual story stuff which was INTRIGUING AS ALL HELL

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Ariong posted:

Please keep posting whenever you hit a big moment like this, it makes me very happy.
I'm going to second this for basically the same reason.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Kenny Logins posted:

I'm going to second this for basically the same reason.

Same. It's lovely watching somebody else hit the high points; it's almost as good as experiencing them for the first time myself.
I need to re-listen, but when did Griffin realize what Justin was about to do re Flaming Raging Poisoning Sword of Doom?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If you want to ask a question for The The Adventure Zone Zone, reply to this tweet:
http://twitter.com/TheZoneCast/status/899344095742742528

Note: Everybody has already asked Griffin about storylines he had mapped out and had to discard.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
https://twitter.com/travismcelroy/status/899455810690052096

Looks like Travis is putting together his Western-themed game.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Griffin said the other day that the sum total of his notes for TAZ is about 450 pages.
I've run long (2 years) games before and I think the most I got to was about 275.

He's a beast and I love it.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Ojjeorago posted:

Hope you enjoy the experience of simply cybersex blast off into cybersex Nick Robinson.

We've been hacked!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

God this one has some amazing responses.

https://twitter.com/tracesthings/status/899463663282728960

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Don't boost your own tweets.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Same. It's lovely watching somebody else hit the high points; it's almost as good as experiencing them for the first time myself.
I need to re-listen, but when did Griffin realize what Justin was about to do re Flaming Raging Poisoning Sword of Doom?

I would assume when Griffin yells out "OH MY GOD...."

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Inzombiac posted:

Don't boost your own tweets.

I don't have a twitter account. Twitter is one of those places that's great to visit, but terrible to live.

If I did, I would suggest keyslinger. Someone probably beat me to that one though.

EDIT: Oh man I wanted to link a clip of Griffin going off on a tear about how twitter is bad because they let harrassment slide, but it turns out that was a CoolGames bit. Uuuuuuugh that one done gone sour.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 21, 2017

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

A big reason I love TAZ is that I love the players as well as I love the characters. Both Clint and Merle are wonderful; the show is good both when the family are just goofing on each other and when they are seriously roleplaying.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T1A0pHzXUYw

I have watched this probably too many times and yet it's still funny every single time.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

When, if ever, does TAZ diverge from using Forgotten Realms locations? I'm up to episode 3.

Also the Everquest reference Griffin makes in this episode makes me love Griffin more.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
He starts adding stuff in at the end of Gerblins and beyond, but you're still gonna hear names like Neverwinter popping up every now and then.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I'm still gunning for Clint's superhero game

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Inzombiac posted:

Griffin said the other day that the sum total of his notes for TAZ is about 450 pages.
I've run long (2 years) games before and I think the most I got to was about 275.

He's a beast and I love it.

DMs... keep... notes???

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
It may interest some folks to know that Film Crit Hulk did a piece on the TAZ Balance finale: http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/08/18/film-crit-hulk-smash-goodnight-adventure-zone

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Garfield the deals "Wizard"? Come on Film Critic Hulk

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Garfield the deals "Wizard"? Come on Film Critic Hulk

Given Taako's propensity for using warlock spells that wizards don't know, maybe they've just permanently confused the two classes.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

inthesto posted:

DMs... keep... notes???

Am I the weird one?
For every 6 hour session I would do 4-8 hours of writing in the week leading up to and then just after each session.
:ohdear: I thought that was normal.

(I've run homebrew games for a while now and those always take more work.)

Serf
May 5, 2011

I write down everything the players do and organize that afterwards. I do about 1 hour of writing prep before each session and probably 2-3 hours every few weeks designing a bunch of enemies that they might fight. Using clocks from Blades in the Dark has really helped streamline my writing prep. During the session I'll use my notes if it becomes relevant, but most everything else I just make up on the fly and write down. Like my current game was supposed to just be about a dead alien empire coming back to life and causing trouble, but one player made an observation about how their abilities seemed to be like time travel, and boom, the whole campaign became about time travel just because of that.

Griffin is a hell of a GM and writer, because thinking all this stuff out beforehand is a huge task.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Inzombiac posted:

Am I the weird one?
For every 6 hour session I would do 4-8 hours of writing in the week leading up to and then just after each session.
:ohdear: I thought that was normal.

(I've run homebrew games for a while now and those always take more work.)

It was mostly a joke, because I'm aware that my DM style extremely improv-heavy. My notes are usually just a list of names with a few bulletpoints beneath each one.

I spend most of my prep time designing combat encounters. Story is mostly left for the players to wander around and see what they stumble into.

While I admire Griffin's ability to plot out stuff well in advance with a clear direction for where it's all going, it's 100% not for me.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

It would be really cool if Griffin published even a couple pages of his notes. I'd love to see his process. When we finished TT campaigns back in the day, the postmortem was always a lot of fun.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I feel like they've told the Pizza Daniel story a few years ago.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel like they've told the Pizza Daniel story a few years ago.
Ep 207 has the talking point "the ballad of pizza Daniel".

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I liked how this episode's Money Zone veered rapidly into a Rick and Morty episode.

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

I'm hoping he goes all-out on the Old West/ folklore Americana setting. I would love to see something like William Gropper's map of America.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I'll take one Westworld DnD campaign please

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

QuoProQuid posted:

I'm hoping he goes all-out on the Old West/ folklore Americana setting. I would love to see something like William Gropper's map of America.

I've lived in Michigan all my life and never known we were famous for winds. :shrug:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Democratic Pirate posted:

I'll take one Westworld DnD campaign please

O.O
Yes and thank you.
I do not like Westerns at all but robo cowboys are extremely cool.
Maybe I just have a crush on that Overwatch guy.

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

Kojiro posted:

He starts adding stuff in at the end of Gerblins and beyond, but you're still gonna hear names like Neverwinter popping up every now and then.

Tangential to this, I just got to the Crystal Kingdom arc (boy! that premise!) and I was laughing like an idiot at the extremely obvious "ironic, because it's definitely winter" joke.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Are you saying that Griffin doesn't adhere to canon and have neverwinter stay warm year long because of the fire elementals under the river or whatever the gently caress it is. God, I know too much stupid FR lore.

I wonder how many DMs since the mid 80s have used that gag.

edit: Did they ever say whats replacing it in the comic? I assume they're going to have to. They could probably get away with most other FR towns but Neverwinter in particular is trademarked, I think.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 22, 2017

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

As I recall, if there's anything unique about Neverwinter in TAZ other than it being The Big City, it's never mentioned. They could just change the name.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Neverwinter is the "don't think of blue elephants" of place names, because every time I hear it I immediately picture the place just blanketed in snow.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Supercar Gautier posted:

Neverwinter is the "don't think of blue elephants" of place names, because every time I hear it I immediately picture the place just blanketed in snow.

Huh, I do too. I think having "winter" in the name makes my brain skip over the "never". Eversummer may have been a better name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Same here, for both that and that the logo of Neverwinter Nights is icy blue.