Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Chat Thread
This poll is closed.
anime chat thread 13 8.02%
anime chat thread 2.22 - A SODOM BORN OF THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR 11 6.79%
SHIN ANIME CHAT THREAD 3: THE LAST DAY OF THE EARTH 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD 4: NEW AGE OF HEROES 1 0.62%
ANIME CHAT THREAD V: BEEF TENDENCY END 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD VI: animemonogatari 16 9.88%
anime chat thread vii: 600 pages in like a week 3 1.85%
anime chat thread viii: a bowl of visible aids 7 4.32%
Anime Chat Thread IX: the desert of battle 1 0.62%
anime chat thread x: gifs of takane shijou eating 14 8.64%
anime chat thread xi: the beast that cried 'gas' at the heart of the world 16 9.88%
anime chat thread xii: the one where fire emblem comes out 8 4.94%
anime chat thread the 13th: no art dumps 5 3.09%
anime chat thread 14: this one probably won't get to 2000+ pages 3 1.85%
Chat Thead 15: Post your favorite robot and/or touhou itt 22 13.58%
Anime Chat Thread The Sixteenth: Frequently Anime Questions 3 1.85%
Anime Chat Thread Dimension XV-II: No More Eroes 2: Dawn of the New World 8 4.94%
Anime Chat Thread Part 18: (M)AIDS 17 10.49%
Total: 162 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Watch the first two episodes or so of Kumamiko, then pretend the entire staff was mauled by a bear and couldn't make any more.

They should have been, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

when does the moon start to fall down

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Is that what's happening? I thought today was the day Walpurgis arrives to destroy the city.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

VostokProgram posted:

when does the moon start to fall down

Once you beat Mike Tyson and jump into the puddle to break your fall.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Garo, Aria, and Basilisk are good. don't watch any Kumamiko aside from the OP/ED.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

AnoHito posted:

Watch the first two episodes or so of Kumamiko, then pretend the entire staff was mauled by a bear and couldn't make any more.

They should have been, anyway.

It was getting bad as early as the first ep.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Basilisk is fun if you want to see a bunch of magical Ninja Scroll-esque ninjas murdering each other.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Getsuya posted:

Oh hey I haven't posted a 'which new Crunchy shows are worth watching ' in a while so here's everything they've added recently:

Koi Koi Seven
Basilisk
Hack//Root
Kingdom
Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero
Sasami Magical Girl Club
Kumamiko
Aria the Animation
Garo
Tokyo Majin
Shattered Angels

Oh, poo poo, Aria? People say that's good.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Motto posted:

It was getting bad as early as the first ep.

Yeah, but you don't really notice and can kind of ignore it if you don't have the full context of the show...

:smithicide:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

On second thought, just watch the Op/ED of Kumamiko and pretend the rest of the show doesn't exist.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there's literally no point in watching any eps of Kumamiko because it gets so bad, plus even the beginning has a bunch of jokes about the girl being naked/sexualized/hosed by the bear

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If you want to get a beary good fix for all things Ursine, just watch Shirokuma Cafe (Anime) or We Bare Bears (Cartoons)

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

dogsicle posted:

there's literally no point in watching any eps of Kumamiko because it gets so bad, plus even the beginning has a bunch of jokes about the girl being naked/sexualized/hosed by the bear

No wonder my coworker recommended it to me. I always figured he was a furry, and liking a show like that is pretty damning evidence.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Getsuya posted:

No wonder my coworker recommended it to me. I always figured he was a furry, and liking a show like that is pretty damning evidence.

If anyone recommended Kumamiko to you, being a furry is the least of that person's problems.

What I'm saying is your coworker probably gets off on psychologically torturing little girls. Like no joke, there's literally no other way you could enjoy that show, and I am using 'literally' in the traditional way.

E: v Apparently the original author got really pissed about it, so I don't think it was much of an extension of the source material.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Getsuya posted:

the overall issue people have with the series is less that and more it taking the source material and making it way more mean-spirited in execution and conclusion. (Some people say that's the natural extension of what was already there and the anime staff just ran with that, but I didn't watch or read either so idk)

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Report your coworker to the feds

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Getsuya posted:

i mean the bear design is very cute and he has a good VA but yeah, there's a weird joke with him going into heat when the girl puts on bear ears and outside of that he (and everyone else in the show) bullies her constantly.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
kumamiko is a loving awful show that only gets worse as you watch it and the author of the manga even hated how it ended

i've heard basically nothing about the manga that made it sound as mean-spirited as the show from people who've read it

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 21, 2017

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This is literally all you need to experience about the show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSb7UffsQjw

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

And when it's not being mean spirited it devolved into super boring thinly-veiled advertisements for clothing brands

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

gently caress the NASA eclipse stream just cut out is this the end

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
The behelit has been activated. Trump must now sacrifice the only thing he cares about: his hair.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

VostokProgram posted:

gently caress the NASA eclipse stream just cut out is this the end

Turns out it was solar-powered.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I made a box, but this tree has it beat.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Holy gently caress the clouds broke just enough to see some of it and it's loving badass as gently caress

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Eclipse report: It was cool and also got noticeably darker, though I'm not in the totality path. Also did not encounter any Draculas. Took a couple attempts to get the pinhole size right with my box, but it worked decently. I'll post some of my crummy pictures when I get home from work tonight.

Tip of all you've got is a phone camera and are only in a partial area: center about half a screen below the sun and you should be able to catch a decent reflected image.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

a kitten posted:

I made a box, but this tree has it beat.

Trees are cool, yo.
Also my phone is dumb, yo.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Watched from Dallas. Not in the path of totality, but we lost about 75 percent sunlight, got noticably dimmer and colder and the sun appears as a crescent when you're wearing the glasses.

Honestly the world just getting dimmer and colder for a prolonged period of time is weirder to me than a total eclipse.that lasts a few minutes.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I was at 98% and other than the sky turning dark blue the tree shadows were the best part.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I have no loving idea how the physics behind that work, btw.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I saw some shimmers on the ground shortly before peak, and some neat effects on hand shadows.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

I have no loving idea how the physics behind that work, btw.

Each little hole acts like the "lens" of a pinhole camera.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinhole_camera

Optics! :science:

This is happening all the time, just usually the projections are round so you don't notice.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Getsuya posted:

Oh hey I haven't posted a 'which new Crunchy shows are worth watching ' in a while so here's everything they've added recently:

Koi Koi Seven
Basilisk
Hack//Root
Kingdom
Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero
Sasami Magical Girl Club
Kumamiko
Aria the Animation
Garo
Tokyo Majin
Shattered Angels

Aria's good. You might enjoy Basilisk too.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Aria's worth watching just for the OP, tbh. The soaring high notes are fuckin' great.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

i saw some eclipse but i was not in totality

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Thanks go to chumbler, and physics.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Wark Say posted:

watch Shirokuma Cafe

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bwXfdYp7Xc

• Locked thread