Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

Wait for Dragon Quest Builders 1/2. It has actual objectives and looks cute.

Just to expand on this, you have specific quests (build a place where your townspeople can cook, build a gate, craft a certain medicine, kill this monster) and even get basic blueprints for buildings to build which you can then greatly modify. It still involves exploration and digging and discovering crafting recipes, and at any point you still have the freedom to build whatever you want. Builders 1 was really good.

I'd also recommend Terraria once that comes out. It's 2D and has a looser quest structure (more like a suggested progression) but I found those kind of goals helped nudge me to building more creatively and kept me from losing interest.

Note: I actually haven't played Minecraft and I understand it eventually added a loose quest system, but I haven't heard a lot of praise over the addition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So I've got a few things on my eshop wish list that I might want to buy at some point, can anyone with knowledge advise:

• Namco Museum
  • Death Squared
  • Tumbleseed
  • Kamiko
  • Has-Been Heroes
  • Snake Pass
  • Any of the Neo-Geo games I guess? Samurai Shodown 4 is probably the only one I'd buy, but wondering generally about the emulation / frontend interface.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

lmao the wii-u is dope and the game library is amazing there's really no reason not to own one, even if you own a switch

They'll probably slowly creep up in value

for real, between VC and homebrew you can have pretty much the entire Nintendo back catalog on that thing, why would you not want one

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

raditts posted:

So I've got a few things on my eshop wish list that I might want to buy at some point, can anyone with knowledge advise:

• Namco Museum
  • Death Squared
  • Tumbleseed
  • Kamiko
  • Has-Been Heroes
  • Snake Pass
  • Any of the Neo-Geo games I guess? Samurai Shodown 4 is probably the only one I'd buy, but wondering generally about the emulation / frontend interface.

for real, between VC and homebrew you can have pretty much the entire Nintendo back catalog on that thing, why would you not want one

Found Kamiko to be really boring. As for NeoGeo, Shock Troopers one is basically an actually good Ikari Warriors/overhead Metal Slug, the sequel is crap, and Aerofighters 2 is complete, quarter-eating bullshit after level 4/5 if you're not playing co-op.

Meowsdower
May 25, 2005

raditts posted:

• Namco Museum
  • Death Squared
  • Tumbleseed
  • Kamiko
  • Has-Been Heroes
  • Snake Pass

Neo-Turf Masters, that is all

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think Sonic Mania is better then almost anything Mario has put out 2D wise since... SMW? Like it's kind of hard to even judge in that regard because the two games are so vastly different in how they play the only comparison that can be made is "you can jump on things"

Mario can rest easy though when it comes to like, Forces vs Odyssey lol.

Is this including Yoshi's Island or no

Also I mean, it's not like Mario's had that much since then either. The NSMB games are okay but not really as great as what SMB3/SMW were.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
super mario world?

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

SeANMcBAY posted:

I like the NSMB (well U mostly) games and I agree. If there has to be another non-Maker 2D game, I hope it's in a pixel artstyle. 2D platformers just don't work as well with 3D models imo.

I think Rayman Legends has the perfect art style for a platformer. I wish they'd do that with Sanic.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I guess Monolith completed their work on Xenoblade Chronicles 2 since they're already planning for something new.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rexroom posted:

I guess Monolith completed their work on Xenoblade Chronicles 2 since they're already planning for something new.

Given it releases near the end of the year, that's probably about right. They're likely down to bugfixes and final QA.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

raditts posted:

• Has-Been Heroes

This game is actually rad as heck but might not be everyone's cup of tea. Most of the time you can get a physical version from gamestop for ten bucks, also. I picked it up on a whim shortly before I had to spend the last week out of town, and it's my go-to kill five or twenty minutes game while I'm away. It's also a full-on roguelike with binding of isaac-style unlocks, in that it's a dungeon crawl (albeit with a novel mechanic) where you start each run fresh but unlock more content to potentially appear. Combat's not that far off of a real-time JRPG except with three lanes and positioning matters, and once you get a few spells to synergize you start to feel brokenly powerful in some hilarious ways. It's a fair bit deeper than it appears, with some mechanics that might not be obvious (backstabs interrupt enemy spellcasters, for example), and while the enemies are mostly variations on a theme, they're still fun to look at and everything's generally pretty light and breezy. A good game, and I like it a lot.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

On the other hand,

The last one should be a person on a plane with a Wii U under the seat hooked up through a power inverter playing on the gamepad while everyone looks on in amazement.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

wuggles posted:

I think Rayman Legends has the perfect art style for a platformer. I wish they'd do that with Sanic.

I've always thought the Rayman art was far too busy and a little grotesque.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah, I stand corrected. Confirmed with a Google search. That's lovely.

IW has the biggest bar on that graph making it the better game.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I've always thought the Rayman art was far too busy and a little grotesque.

Busy, sure. What do you mean by grotesque?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Rabbids?

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

huh no thanks I'm ok

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Modus Pwnens posted:

Nope, I'm talking updates per second.

I'm on mobile, but here's a link. Scroll down to the graphs.

https://octo.im/2017/07/31/splatoon-2-online-multiplayer-analysis/

This is a good article, and it makes me sad that Nintendo is seriously going to go with paid online when it offers services like these. I don't know if Nintendo would even consider fixing this though, but I hope people push this issue on them.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Rexroom posted:

whatever this is it looks way prettier than the nightmare anime levels of Xeno2. I wish they took the art style of Xeno1 and built on it instead.

If anyone is still waiting for Stardew, devs said they ain't giving out a release date til they are "PERFECTLY SATISFIED WITH HOW IT RUNS" so it may take a while.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DLC Inc posted:

whatever this is it looks way prettier than the nightmare anime levels of Xeno2. I wish they took the art style of Xeno1 and built on it instead.

If anyone is still waiting for Stardew, devs said they ain't giving out a release date til they are "PERFECTLY SATISFIED WITH HOW IT RUNS" so it may take a while.

It's pretty much the exact same art style, just not in SD graphics.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

My Splatoon 2 pro controller and joy con just came, surprised they didn't make the pink and green of the joy con match the splatoon 2 pro handle grips exactly.

These pro controller colors look way nicer than the red and blue though, especially in person.

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.
NeoGeo games bind alt A and B to the triggers. It's such a game changer for games like Shock Troopers.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Modus Pwnens posted:

Nope, I'm talking updates per second.

I'm on mobile, but here's a link. Scroll down to the graphs.

https://octo.im/2017/07/31/splatoon-2-online-multiplayer-analysis/

A very good companion read to this is Sequelitis. It's a bit in that netcode and stuff is addressed directly.

quote:

(N.B. Octobyte’s post isn’t inaccurate and raises valid criticisms; it just doesn’t account for other differences between Splatoon and other online shooters).

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Manky posted:

A very good companion read to this is Sequelitis. It's a bit in that netcode and stuff is addressed directly.

This...is not a good read. Most of the article reads as "Just because there are problems in a sequel doesn't mean you should complain about them; it paints the game as worse than it really is!" which is complete bullshit. And also telling us it's bad to have expectations, which is also not realistic. The article very much acknowledges what Octobyte points out, doesn't really refute most of it directly, and tells players to just deal with it because it's marginally better than before even though there are very realistic ways to solve these problems.

There is a point that Splatoon is a different kind of shooter than others which means we shouldn't be quick to judge, which is a good point but isn't expanded upon when it's probably the largest important point to make. It's also seems correct in terms of early judgements about balance, but that's a different arguement.

It feels like this article was very much just a response to this guy getting annoyed at people on his twitter timeline sharing around the Octobyte article to claim the game is bad, and really wanted to say "Guys this game is still really good and fun!". But the Octobyte article never says or implies the game is bad, and there's nothing wrong with having expectations in the products you buy as a consumer.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I've been looking at HBH but if I already waited this long I might as well wait for a price drop.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

DLC Inc posted:

Keep in mind that's art for the staffing call, not necessarily representative of whatever game they're making beyond being fantasy.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Chernabog posted:

I've been looking at HBH but if I already waited this long I might as well wait for a price drop.

It was fun for about two weeks but I've already forgotten that I own it.

Seriously. I forgot I owned it until I read this post.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
EA just announced at a Gamescom press event (to an awkward silence) that Fe is also coming to the Switch. It's a... er.. Pikmin-like? I dunno.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
is it true that lynels will not immediately attack you if you don't have your weapons drawn

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
That is the case for some lynels, yes, but they may also get aggressive if you get too close.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Lynels behave exactly like cats.

So if you manage to sneak behind them and lay a banana down they'll be stricken with fear when they turn around.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Lynels behave exactly like cats.

So if you manage to sneak behind them and lay a banana down they'll be stricken with fear when they turn around.

Poor Lynel, thought of fruits and passed away.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mister Facetious posted:

Wait for Dragon Quest Builders 1/2. It has actual objectives and looks cute.
Have they said anything about Switch getting DQB1? I know they mentioned 2. And same question for DQ Heroes.

(Getting FFXV PC confirmed has made me hungry for due dates.)

(e: but I deliberately did not ask about the dew of stars.)

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Mario 3D World on WiiU was good. Would love a Switch port for that.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Morby posted:

They would seriously need a new trailer for the game though if they ever re-released it.

The first trailer for 3D World was chill and all but it was almost too chill and gave off like the worst possible impression it could have to people until later on in the year.

Compare it to the E3 Odyssey trailer which is just non-stop bombastic moments right in your face.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Rexroom posted:

EA just announced at a Gamescom press event (to an awkward silence) that Fe is also coming to the Switch. It's a... er.. Pikmin-like? I dunno.

That's two EA games already, interesting

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Did some matches in Splatoon during lunch and with the obviously bad netcode and the experience was horrible, everything worked right. I don't know how anyone else plays this game.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Morby posted:

A surprise port coinciding with Mario Odyssey's release would be awesome.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

LethalGeek posted:

Did some matches in Splatoon during lunch and with the obviously bad netcode and the experience was horrible, everything worked right. I don't know how anyone else plays this game.

Being passive aggressive sure is cool

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Being passive aggressive sure is cool
My favorite part is how he specifically waited until right after you posted (about a completely unrelated topic) to release that epic truth bomb, lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I splatted turds with free WiFi at a Boston Starbucks no prob

• Locked thread