Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Just tie mathematicians to the track problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
If there is zero passengers on the trolley pull the lever. Otherwise don't, or you will cause infinity humans to spring into existence and immediately get cast down a black hole, which will probably cause the end of the universe, because infinity humans is more mass than exists in the universe and will cause the black hole to grow to the size of the universe, roughly speaking, so maybe give this lever a pass. Also there is only possibly an arbitrary number of people on the trolley, so gently caress your ill-posed problem.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

DontMockMySmock posted:

The Collatz Conjecture is the hypothesis that the process described results in always 1 person in the trolley (or technically a repeating pattern of 1-4-2-1-4-2...) for any value of n. But it is unproven, and if it is false, there is a nonzero chance of either getting stuck in some other pattern with lots of passengers or being annihilated with infinite passengers. So whether or not it's a good idea to pull the lever depends on this unsolved mathematical problem. And, of course, upon your ethical framework.

The video linked uses *3 while the image uses *2. Pretty sure no matter what the number is, using *2 ends up with infinite people in the trolley. It really seems like the people of Trolley Town should be moving to something like rigid airships though considering how often people end up tied to their trolley tracks.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Red Baron posted:

The video linked uses *3 while the image uses *2. Pretty sure no matter what the number is, using *2 ends up with infinite people in the trolley. It really seems like the people of Trolley Town should be moving to something like rigid airships though considering how often people end up tied to their trolley tracks.
The image is worded poorly. "2n+1 people get on the trolley" gives you a value of 3n+1 afterwards. I had the same issue.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
gently caress it, let's yank this lever.

Can someone pose a trolley problem in a way I can understand? Perhaps in the form of a Simpsons shitpost.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Leavemywife posted:

gently caress it, let's yank this lever.

Can someone pose a trolley problem in a way I can understand? Perhaps in the form of a Simpsons shitpost.

That's probably the greatest--Aw, it's not for you. It's more an imgur idea.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Nah, nevermind. I'm too tired for it.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008
Does anyone have the principal Skinner version of "the glasses do nothing"?

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

No, but I got this:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El Laucha posted:

No, but I got this:

holy poo poo

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

El Laucha posted:

No, but I got this:

:popeye:

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

El Laucha posted:

No, but I got this:

I'm sickened by the freak who took the time to draw blushing pregnancy test Lisa.

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

El Laucha posted:

No, but I got this:

Mon dieu!! :captainpop:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bart looks so sad. :smith:

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Wait is the top left Lisa something that was in the show? :lol:

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Rayjenkins posted:

Yes, it's from the episode where Lisa tries to fit in with the popular group at school lead by guest star Lisa Kudrow.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rayjenkins posted:

Yeah, when she was trying to be more mature after another little girl moved into town, played by Lisa Kudrow. Subplot had Bart and Homer trying to corner the used grease market.

e:fb :mad:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

And Milhouse turns her down for a date

EmmyOk has a new favorite as of 18:43 on Aug 21, 2017

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Didn't they?...

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

El Laucha posted:

No, but I got this:

It'd be a lot cooler if you didn't.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

UPDATE:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

El Laucha posted:

No, but I got this:

Hahaha :sbahj:

soylon
Jan 29, 2015

Eclipse of the century? Seems that broadcaster doesn't know there's another transcontinental one in 7 years.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
*for your dogless entertainment

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Karate Bastard posted:

If there is zero passengers on the trolley pull the lever. Otherwise don't, or you will cause infinity humans to spring into existence and immediately get cast down a black hole, which will probably cause the end of the universe, because infinity humans is more mass than exists in the universe and will cause the black hole to grow to the size of the universe, roughly speaking, so maybe give this lever a pass. Also there is only possibly an arbitrary number of people on the trolley, so gently caress your ill-posed problem.
not sure if it's :thejoke: but black holes don't suck up matter ad infinitum, just enough to make them vent xrays and evaporate eventually. that's assuming the trolley doesn't just endlessly orbit the black hole.

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
ow oof ouch my eyes :trumppop:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

incredible

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Oh my god, Dick Gregory is dead? :smith:

Jerry Lee Lewis, actually. That's why we had no great ball of fire today. :smith: