Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Dead Space soundtrack was fun for me.

If you google there are some albums that were created for Cthulhu roleplaying that are also pretty good.

This is all assuming you are really in to creepy ambient music with loud bangs and crap but yeah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Can anyone suggest some music to go with this game, maybe a playlist if possible?

I like this playlist. Cryo Chamber is a dark ambient youtube label that has some great stuff for these types of games. I believe there's even some collaborative albums based on some of the Lovecraft Pantheon.

Also, dark ambient is great for getting poo poo done on the computer.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

There are playlists on Spotify for Arkham / Eldritch Horror I've used to good effect.

Also melodice

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Quick question from a newbie. So very very early on you are given an extra card that can be added to a deck, but does NOT count towards deck size. In Magic, you would never really add an extra card to your deck to make it larger - you want to play the fewest, best, cards possible. However, the card seems pretty good. What's the thinking on cards like this, typically?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Basically, deck size is way less of a problem than competing for limited slots (there's a lot of story-awarded allies, in particular). Other than that, you have to decide whether it's a nice boon that fits your deck type, or random clutter. Also bear in mind it often doubles as both deckbuilding and campaign choice, the latter of which might mean some particular repercussions in future scenarios.

In multi-player parties, you usually try to specialize (e.g. one guy buys charisma and grabs the allies, daisy gets the book, seeker gets intellect-boosters, etc).

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Deckbuilding is quite different in Arkham than in any other card game. Each investigator in the core set can pick 30 cards from two classes plus neutral cards (up to 2 copies of any level 0 card) and must contain 1 copy max of the investigators two required cards that do not count toward deck size and a random weakness. So 33 cards total. You can't go over or under 33 cards for the core set investigators. As the game expands you will play with investigators that have different deckbuilding restrictions. In the Dunwich legacy expansion the investigators can use all level 0 cards from their respective class and up to five level 0 cards from any other class plus neutral cards. Still 33 cards. As you play the game you gain experience to either upgrade existing cards or use the xp to purchase new cards still maintaining the investigators card limit.

Cycling through a deck only to shuffle your discard pile and start anew has a 1 horror penalty. There are some investigators that actually can cycle through the discard pile but for the most part you will rarely get to the bottom of the deck. Also, there are quite of few cards that help with getting a much desired pull.

GrumpyGoesWest fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 17, 2017

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I think they mean something like the carnival masks, which iirc are added to your deck but are not counted against your 30 cards, taking you to 34.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

numerrik posted:

I think they mean something like the carnival masks, which iirc are added to your deck but are not counted against your 30 cards, taking you to 34.

Yes.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Oh I gotcha! I remember playing the first campaign solo with Skids and had the chance to add an ally from one of the resolutions. I specifically looked to see if the resolution said that I MAY add her to my deck and it did. So I declined. I felt I already had my ally of choice (Leo) and didn't need more cards cluttering my deck. Although in hindsight I could've used the extra ally for a skill check. The cards you get from scenario resolutions are pretty good but I believe are optional. Except for extra weaknesses of course.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

What's the jankiest build at the moment? Grotesque Scavenger Jim? Some Wendy's weird event combo? Something else entirely?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Pete and Duke are absolutely monstrous. They work well in a group filling in the holes or playing cleanup, or solo thanks to Duke's versatility and strength. I've tried mixing him with every other color and they all work well. Favorite investigator by far right now. I usually build him with a large variety of skill cards instead of going hard on any one aspect and it works really well. Unexpected Courage and Lucky! are a must for him and will give you many clutch saves. Dark Horse can also be really good, as I usually play aggressively with resources and buffing him across the board is great.

Jack of all trades master of a good dog.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Pete is like prime anti-jank though, as he doesn't really care what the hell he's drawing. Right now I crave pointless, flashy, johnny combos.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Pete and Duke are absolutely monstrous. They work well in a group filling in the holes or playing cleanup, or solo thanks to Duke's versatility and strength. I've tried mixing him with every other color and they all work well. Favorite investigator by far right now. I usually build him with a large variety of skill cards instead of going hard on any one aspect and it works really well. Unexpected Courage and Lucky! are a must for him and will give you many clutch saves. Dark Horse can also be really good, as I usually play aggressively with resources and buffing him across the board is great.

Jack of all trades master of a good dog.

Lucky! is also one of the strongest level zero cards in the game. Anything that can affect a skill test after the token is pulled is amazing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Lichtenstein posted:

Pete is like prime anti-jank though, as he doesn't really care what the hell he's drawing. Right now I crave pointless, flashy, johnny combos.

Oh yeah I wasn't responding to your question, just praising good ol' Pete.

For Janky, the new Carcosa investigators both look really promising. The actress' role switching and deck building will probably allow for some really weird combos and Yorick's graveyard recursion is always a good sign for fun interactions.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Yeah, Carcosa looks really promising in that regard.

I'm itching to play a troll Sefina to use her gimmick to chain-drop several Delve Too Deep's and immediately pop I'm Outta Here. That Double or Nothing is in-faction is just icing on the cake.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Lichtenstein posted:

Yeah, Carcosa looks really promising in that regard.

I'm itching to play a troll Sefina to use her gimmick to chain-drop several Delve Too Deep's and immediately pop I'm Outta Here. That Double or Nothing is in-faction is just icing on the cake.

Rogue is my favorite class and I'm so happy they're getting a event mechanic. Sefina is such a cool character too. You're basically setting up a palette of different inks to forge paintings. She's a fresh Arkham files character as well. Survivor is my second favorite class. Playing as Wendy I try to use her ability as often as I'm allowed. With the new survivor instead of events needing to be discarded it's ANY asset. Very neat. Plus a level 0 lantern and shovel. Lanterns are just cool in general. So I'll be throwing those in a few decks.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

In line to grab Path to Carcosa at Gencon. :woop:

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Bottom Liner posted:

In line to grab Path to Carcosa at Gencon. :woop:

So jealous. When does it hit retailers?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Chaotic Flame posted:

So jealous. When does it hit retailers?

Later this month/early next month.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Couple of rules questions about the core set scenarios:

1. In the 1st scenario, do I have to be in the same location as Lita (parlor) to parley with her?

2. In the 3rd scenario, the new spooky token effect says to draw another token. Do I combine both of their modifiers for the skill test?

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Couple of rules questions about the core set scenarios:

1. In the 1st scenario, do I have to be in the same location as Lita (parlor) to parley with her?

2. In the 3rd scenario, the new spooky token effect says to draw another token. Do I combine both of their modifiers for the skill test?

Yes and yes

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lichtenstein posted:

What's the jankiest build at the moment? Grotesque Scavenger Jim? Some Wendy's weird event combo? Something else entirely?

Super specific so not really what you're looking for but my group completely broke the New Orleans one-shot today when (tagged for people that haven't played it) my Wendy got the curse but had the football player ally out. It gave us the freedom to go for the "good" end.

Less specific and more related, my roommate was trying to convince me to use scavenge + a couple more items in her deck, which to be fair is a pretty good combo, just not how I wanted to play.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I have a core set, dunwich box, and carnevale. Does it make sense to play carnevale after the core with my starting 2 after the core, or to fit it into dunwich as I plan on getting all the scenario packs? I think I remember reading it slots nicely after the 2nd module of dunwich?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Do it with you Core crew to kill them off in style.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Lichtenstein posted:

Do it with you Core crew to kill them off in style.

Roland is already so hosed from drawing his weakness late in both scenarios and a campaign event.... I basically feel obligated to throw one of the horror-absorbing necklaces in his deck at this point. He's pretty much guaranteed to go crazy during the 3rd part of this core campaign. :(

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Oh my god Lola is a fun and interesting character. Her deckbuilding gimmick is fantastic for groups since you can fill in any roles you're missing with their staple cards, or you can build a really interesting solo deck and have your bases covered.

Carcosa scenarios are great too, you guys are in for a treat.

ShaneB posted:

Roland is already so hosed from drawing his weakness late in both scenarios and a campaign event.... I basically feel obligated to throw one of the horror-absorbing necklaces in his deck at this point. He's pretty much guaranteed to go crazy during the 3rd part of this core campaign. :(

This happened to us on Roland's last turn in the first Carcosa scenario and ended up driving him insane at the worst possible time.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Ahhhhhhhhh! My friend got me a copy of the 12 player gencon scenario. It is a stand alone that plays with 3 separate groups of 1 to 4 players each.

My friend said it was a lot of fun.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm pretty sure they did something similar with LOTR. Any idea on how does it work?

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
I'm thinking about picking up some of the expansions for this game. Specifically some of the expansions in the Dunwich Legacy cycle. Obviously the deluxe expansion is mandatory but how important are the other packs. Can I pick up some of them and play them in any order?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
You can play any of the packs as a standalone adventure. The rules sheet will give you special setup rules to do so.

They're meant to be played in order, though, as a continuous story.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel like i'm playing this game wrong but going through the core and it seems 10x as hard as LOTR LCG is....I got up to the last Act of the first campaign with the Ghoul Priest, had to do 10 damage and realzied it was basically impossible with my selections (Daisy and Skids) :( what did I do wrong

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Skids can kill poo poo, and with Mind over Matter so can Daisy!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
guess im just bad then lol

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Empress Brosephine posted:

I feel like i'm playing this game wrong but going through the core and it seems 10x as hard as LOTR LCG is....I got up to the last Act of the first campaign with the Ghoul Priest, had to do 10 damage and realzied it was basically impossible with my selections (Daisy and Skids) :( what did I do wrong

I'd put Skids as the second-best combat dude (behind Zoey) and Daisy can chip in with Mind over Matter and/or shrivellings. I'm guessing you don't have enough combat focus in your deck(s).

Or you DO have enough combat stuff but didn't draw into it. I know that seems to be occasionally a problem in my games-I'll advance faster than necessary and end up in a bad position for the final part of the scenario.

All that said though, if you're only playing single core the initial stuff can be a bit rough. The cool thing is that there's no real fail state-even if you get defeated/have to run, you can proceed with the next mission.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

A lot of the game comes down to learning your card pool and how to approach the things your character is bad at. As mentioned, cards like Mind Over Matter let you flip your forte in a moment of need, and knowing when you use them and when to save them is a big part in failure and success.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I used my mind over manner, pulled a -4 and failed the check lol. Oh well, I guess thats the point of the game. Once I played that though I felt hopeless (again probably the point) with Daisy lol.

I just use the cards I can from the core set, I don't have any extras. I had fun, but it just seemed so tough. Didn't know it wasn't a total game over like LOTR though.

A few questions; when you draw a encounter card and it's a monster and it auto engadges, if it has a spawn on it does it actually endgadge the investigator in his current location or just spawns in the other room?

also the rules say that when engadged with a enemy you can only fight, evade or play a parley / resign, without penalty, so you can't even play cards like Knife from hand / in play?

Also do you ALWAYS pull from the Chaos Bag when doing any kind of skill check (Monster Phase etc) ?

Thanks all

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Yeah I used my mind over manner, pulled a -4 and failed the check lol. Oh well, I guess thats the point of the game. Once I played that though I felt hopeless (again probably the point) with Daisy lol.

Mind over matter lasts until the end of the round, which should be giving Daisy 3 attacks. I wouldn't play it if you are only making one attack.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hmmmm mustve did it for the attack rip. Still though, thats 5 unbuffed against 4, anything other than a 0 or a +1 is bad news right?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

hmmmm mustve did it for the attack rip. Still though, thats 5 unbuffed against 4, anything other than a 0 or a +1 is bad news right?

I usually try to throw away cards for the icons so drawing a skull from the chaos bag doesn't trigger a negative result, but needing a -1 or better isn't that bad on normal difficulty.

Since the mission ends after you beat the cultist, using the rest of your hand to get +1/+2 on each of those attacks is worth it, and needing a -2 or -3 is pretty good odds.

Edit: I wouldn't play on hard without a second core set. Being able to include 2 machetes, 2 vicious blows, and 2 police officers with skids is a huge deal. 2 mind over matters with daisy is similarly important. Note that the example starter decks are intentionally bad to encourage deck building.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was playing on normal :qq: