Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I'll bet this son of a bitch stopped his car and poured water right into the intake just to get a different C63.

Was probably chowing down on a snickers bar and a crumb of chocolate fell between his legs and stained the seat.

"Whelp time for a new car!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Yeah a splash cant do it though. Thats not enough water fast enough. Sure if you submerge the intake itll happen thats not what he is saying happened. Also someone said the intake is at the top and if thats the case im not seeing it. Based on personal expeirience an engine can ingest a hell of a lot of water and be fine. You can pour a cup of water right into the manifold if you like your car wont even die.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

LOLWUT

Mate, bad luck and a small puddle will easily hydrolock an engine -hitting even a small puddle involves many litres of water. A good rainstorm and you have hundreds of litres being displaced by the car. A rainstorm like the guy described and filmed? Plausible. And no, the heat wont evap it all, no by a loooong shot.

This is the secondary purpose of intake silencers / resonators - they catch water and drain it out of the intake. If the AMG's silencer doesnt do a good job of water catching I can well believe what happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFJOXbtky5Y

Oh why look at this small puddle and apparently this cant happen according to you

And reread what i said and what you are suggesting. Fyi it says in the descripition the fender broke off exposing the air box. That's why this happened.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

DogonCrook posted:

Yeah a splash cant do it though. Thats not enough water fast enough. Sure if you submerge the intake itll happen thats not what he is saying happened. Also someone said the intake is at the top and if thats the case im not seeing it. Based on personal expeirience an engine can ingest a hell of a lot of water and be fine. You can pour a cup of water right into the manifold if you like your car wont even die.

I *literally* posted a video of a splash causing a hydrolock. Like three posts up.

Post video of you pouring a cup of water down the guts - and I don't mean a little controlled pour. Upend the loving thing in a hurry right down the throat - a normal coffee cup will be just fine.

quote:

And reread what i said and what you are suggesting. Fyi it says in the descripition the fender broke off exposing the air box. That's why this happened.

Right there is a small splash like you are claiming cant kill an engine. Wether the air box is exposed or not doesn't matter, it's the volume here that matters. It's not much and yet the engine is killed *despite the bullshit you are claiming about how much water it takes to hydrolock a motor*

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 21, 2017

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I *literally* posted a video of a splash causing a hydrolock. Like three posts up.

Post video of you pouring a cup of water down the guts - and I don't mean a little controlled pour. Upend the loving thing in a hurry right down the throat - a normal coffee cup will be just fine.

Dude itll just die. What expeirience are you basing this on? We are talking about a guy saying a splash from another car caused this. Theres plenty of youtube videos of people sucking water into their engine its a regular prevantative maintenance procedure help yourself and you can see a pretty large volume of water can be injested. Yeah rate matters but how exactly is water making it in the intake at the top of engine at that rate? It doesn't make any sense unless his story isnt accurate or the intake setup is different than that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I don't really have a horse in this race but I found this super scientific test from the other video that was posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSSSosql1zc

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Right there is a small splash like you are claiming cant kill an engine. Wether the air box is exposed or not doesn't matter, it's the volume here that matters. It's not much and yet the engine is killed *despite the bullshit you are claiming about how much water it takes to hydrolock a motor*

His airbox was busted loving open. Im sayung a splash cant kill a merc and you are sitting here trying to tell someone who purposely injects water into an engine "lol hydrolock exists man" i mean yeah im loving aware, i am talking about this specific situation not some dipshit running through a puddle with a cold air intake.

E: sorry to get snappy all im questioning is how a splash could ever get more than a trickle into a stock intake and if it's so easy to do why doesnt this happen all the time? Im not even saying the guy is commiting some fraud just that the story doesnt match as told or some info is missing.

DogonCrook fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 21, 2017

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
Hydro-locking an engine has never occurred in the history of automobiles and driving.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Well thats a stupid argument that i didnt make. It would also be stupid for a car to be sold that cant drive through a puddle without destroying itself or sustain a splash from another car. And youll notice that doesnt really ever happen unless you are an idiot which this guy claimed not to be. Apparently what happened though was he drove through a flodded area and wave that completely submerged his intake. Houston drains quickly but flash floods constantly. Hes a moron. So i dunno yall go be afraid of loving puddles in your delicate rear end cars i learned what i want to know.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

DogonCrook posted:

Well thats a stupid argument that i didnt make.

Okay but your posts are.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

rdb posted:

Thats not necessarily true, totaling a vehicle regardless will cause your rates to go up.

That is not true though. There are many ways in which your vehicle can be totaled and it won't affect your rates.

One of my friends totaled his car due to a deer and because it was totaled BY the deer (and not a tree by the side of the road trying to avoid the deer), his rates didn't budge.

Now, if you find yourself making too many of these claims they can very well drop you, but your rates shouldn't go up until that point.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

bull3964 posted:

but your rates shouldn't go up until that point.

My rates go up every year for no reason at all. Please send help.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Switch insurers every 2 years. They slowly bone you.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I've hydrolocked from a relatively small splash before too (well, small for here... it probably would have made people who splash pedestrians orgasm, but I certainly didn't turn into a submarine commander), bad enough that a rod came out to say hello. :smith:

bull3964 posted:

That is not true though. There are many ways in which your vehicle can be totaled and it won't affect your rates.

One of my friends totaled his car due to a deer and because it was totaled BY the deer (and not a tree by the side of the road trying to avoid the deer), his rates didn't budge.

I had a total loss comprehensive claim in 2009, and my rates more than tripled at renewal time (I went from ~$65/mo for full coverage to over $300). It was very much a :fuckoff: rate from my insurer, but it was my only claim in several years, and the only claim I'd ever made with them. Upside is my rates went back to normal when I switched carriers.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I wouldn't mind, except everyone else is higher anyway.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Locator posted:

I wouldn't mind, except everyone else is higher anyway.

But they all claim you could save hundreds/massive percentages! Are you saying they lie??

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Cartoon posted:

I've been revising my tyre choice, my pressures and every other available variable in consultation with my tyre provider for fifteen years this is the most successful solution to date. Lower pressures definitely results in more punctures. At some point in fifteen years anecdote becomes data. If it was all loose crushed gravel like on New Zealand roads then maybe I would need to do something different. In your picture the problem is that you have run over a rock. Don't do this.

Bit hard not too sometimes chief. Im actually on tracks here.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I would, but my policy contains the magic words after the "Value of vehicle and fitted accessories:" of Market Value

Considering that theres $35K worth of accessories alone on the drat thing, let alone the $40-45K the vehicle would cost to replace, I reaaaaaaallly dont want to try and argue with anyone else that it should be insured for $75-80K and not their pitiful valuation, or have them go "You cant put more than $10K of accessories on it, which wouldnt cover the bar work and roof racks.

Ferremit fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 21, 2017

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

xzzy posted:

But they all claim you could save hundreds/massive percentages! Are you saying they lie??

This is entirely true because why would you switch if it cost more?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

This is entirely true because why would you switch if it cost more?

I know a number of folks who've changed insurance company to save money, then gotten boned because the cheap company tied itself in knots to avoid paying out. Like, moreso than usual.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I had to threaten my cheapo insurance company with legal action before they started paying out. It took about 6 months of pulling teeth before it was resolved in a manner I thought was fair.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I know a number of folks who've changed insurance company to save money, then gotten boned because the cheap company tied itself in knots to avoid paying out. Like, moreso than usual.

Yeah, with insurance, what you're really buying is claims service. Everything they do and say means jack if you have to fight them tooth and nail to get anything repaired every time. It's usually worth paying a slightly higher rate to get someone easy to deal with.

Or else never make a claim, then it doesn't matter.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Right, for sure. It's just marketing to say that you save money when you switch, because nobody switches if it costs more.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Good insurance is worth the money.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I'm with State Farm Mutual insurance. I would need to see a noticable savings at a reputable company before I would consider switching, but every time I price shop nobody beats my current rates anyway, even though they keep going up.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
For specialty vehicles with accessories, like my bus or the rovers, I get it. But for cars like my 98 Explorer, 08 CV, etc (daily driver shitboxes), I've noticed that every major insurance company slowly slides up the rates every six months. Progressive, Geico, Allstate, and the local State Farm. They all go from around $45/month up to $70/month in small increments. Then I switch and the next provider gives me $45.*

* Claim only valid with shitboxes.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I am with Progressive and their claim handling sucks, two times some idiot has hit me I have done the running around since Progressive wash their hands of it since I am not at fault and the other insurer accepts liability. However their rate keeps going down and no one else is even close.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
USAA. Because it was cheaper, and Georgia rates suck no matter who you are with.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

USAA. Because it was cheaper, and Georgia rates suck no matter who you are with.

My USAA rates have never gone up (except when adding new vehicles)

On the other hand, they've never gone down, either, despite insuring the same car from new to now for 12 years with no claims and me aging out of the gently caress you insurance bracket.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

BigPaddy posted:

I am with Progressive and their claim handling sucks, two times some idiot has hit me I have done the running around since Progressive wash their hands of it since I am not at fault and the other insurer accepts liability. However their rate keeps going down and no one else is even close.

Really? Progressive has been amazing with claims for us, regardless of who was at fault. Sorry to hear that :/

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

BigPaddy posted:

I had a not-at-fault accident and State Farm took care of all the running around for me and helped get the other insurer to accept liability so that I would get my deductible back. It's kind of their job, I'm surprised Progressive told you to gently caress off. The only time you should have to do all the stuff yourself is if you're not contacting your company because you don't want them to know about it (which probably won't work anyways.)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

HandlingByJebus posted:

Really? Progressive has been amazing with claims for us, regardless of who was at fault. Sorry to hear that :/

I had 3 claims with Progressive. On 2 of them, they were incredibly easy to deal with - they came out, checked out the damage, and handed me a check on the spot. Both of those were comprehensive claims (1 was hail damage, 1 was when my car got broken into - stereo, CD changer, and the cold air intake I had on it were taken).

On the 3rd (hit and run), I got the claims adjuster with the world's smallest dick. He fought everything, from the rental car to authorizing a boot for the tie rod end that got replaced (it wound up being left naked). He yanked the rental out from under me after 5 days, while my car was in the shop for 3 weeks. :fuckoff: I swore off Flo after that.

shortspecialbus posted:

I had a not-at-fault accident and State Farm took care of all the running around for me and helped get the other insurer to accept liability so that I would get my deductible back. It's kind of their job, I'm surprised Progressive told you to gently caress off. The only time you should have to do all the stuff yourself is if you're not contacting your company because you don't want them to know about it (which probably won't work anyways.)

Nationwide was equally awesome last year in the same scenario, and they got my deductible back to me about 6 months later. Unfortunately I couldn't afford to stay with them anymore (rates went way up when I moved, still stuck with them for awhile), so now I'm with Geico. Hopefully I never have to file a claim with them.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 21, 2017

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
gently caress nationwide insurance. I was in a hotel that burned down and lost everything I had in the room, all my clothes, 2 week old mbp, stupid expensive tumi branded luggage, keys, shoes etc. The fire started in the hotel attic, and nationwide refused to pay for any of my belongings because the Illinois state fire investigator couldn't determine how exactly it started. The attic isn't a public area, I fail to see how thats my or anyone else's fault other than the property owner. I can't in my right mind ever recommend that slimy company. I still have the letter and newspaper article.

Thats kind of a horrible insurance failure. Also how I learned the importance of renters/homeowners, which I didn't have at the time.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

USAA is great, it's too bad it's not open to everyone but that's probably part of the reason why their rates are good.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

DiggityDoink posted:

USAA is great, it's too bad it's not open to everyone but that's probably part of the reason why their rates are good.

and that they're probably not aiming for a huge profit margin, if any

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Insurance sucks. They are all bad for different reasons.

Been with State Farm since the dawn of my existence. Got a burr up my rear end and decided to get an Allstate quote (house, several cars) and they were cheaper. But the problem was the Allstate agent that I'd get stuck with was a complete idiot that I've known from a previous professional encounter. So still with State Farm.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I've been with Progressive for five years now and my rates have done nothing but drop the entire time. I'm pretty sure we've hit premium bedrock for a married couple in their 30s with two 10+ year old cars - when my policy renewed this month it dropped by $12/half.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

and that they're probably not aiming for a huge profit margin, if any

They actually issue yearly dividends.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

tactlessbastard posted:

They actually issue yearly dividends.

Quite a few do.

Most insurance companies aim for around 5c profit on the dollar. Sort of the sweet spot of money making and growth.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
My insurancr actually went down this year, I was shocked.
I can't really switch because no one will give me high limits and$5k in mod coverage on a 12 year old street parked car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I just found an alternative insurer that is actually owned by my current insurer... loving 50% cheaper.