Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I also had one of these and preferred using it over my Nintendo controllers, because by a certain point all of those control sticks had been ground to dust.

But that said it did develop its own debilitating flaw for me: the Z button stopped being able to "click" in and instead just became very mushy, eventually become somewhat unreliable in terms of the button presses actually registering. A controller like this but with the original Z button would be the ideal N64 controller IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

Another complicating factor is that legit PCE CD games are on 650MB discs and the drives in the TGCD and IFU in particular are really crappy at tracking on 700MB discs in my experience.

I did normal CD-Rs from a local store and had less than half the burns playable with music cutting out all the time. Then I bought a spindle of Taiyo Yuden discs on internet recommendation and my burns were almost all playable but the music still cut out or the game would play for a while and then freeze on loading the next level or w/e. Finally I bought a spindle of 650MB Taiyo Yuden discs on eBay and they've been perfect.

I have a PC Engine "briefcase" that does okay most of the time. If it skips for whatever reason, it may not recover. It doesn't happen often, but it's annoying when it does. I think that's a limitation of the hardware itself. It's relatively ancient technology, and I don't think early CD players were as forgiving when it came to skipping.

Refurbishing the unit might help with that. New capacitors, remove the old rail grease, put on some new grease.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Does anyone make 3rd party backlit GBA screens? I'd like to convert an OG GBA, but I don't want to destroy an SP-101 to do it. :smith:

Yeah, lots on eBay including adapter cables.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

Shlomo Palestein posted:

I had these back in the day, and the IR on them is moderately finicky. You just really need a super clear shot from controller to the receiver, and I recall the distance being kinda short too; we'd always play on the floor, like 4 feet from the system. I recall sitting in the chair across the room (maybe 8 feet away) made the connection much less reliable, and you had to intently point the controller at the receiver. They were great controllers though; I am afraid to see what the basement might've done to them. :(

I wonder if the official Sega wireless controllers work better connection wise. The Akklaim controllers feel really nice. They a re made with good quality plastic and have a sturdy construction. I took the front panels off the controllers and that made the connection a lot more reliable. It makes them look like poo poo though.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Monopthalmus posted:

Yeah, lots on eBay including adapter cables.

I really want to swap the frontlit screen in my NES edition SP with a backlit one, but that seems to be tougher to find anything for. Once of these days I'll probably just buy a backlit SP and swap the shells.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I love those N64 superpads too, but mine had the stick itself get snapped off when a heavy book fell on it.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

I got the Makopad variant right after it came recommended back in the day (I think by IGN or some magazine). It was indeed hard to get used to because it felt like such a fat blob in your left hand, but in the generations since there's been other controllers designed around filling every last millimeter of your palm so it might not be so bad now.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'm still a little bit in shock at how much this tweet blew up.

I met him at a local scifi/horror/cult convention this past weekend. He was very nice. I had a choice to either get this signed or my copy of SNES Batman Forever, but I think I made the right choice here.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

shyduck posted:

I'm still a little bit in shock at how much this tweet blew up.

I met him at a local scifi/horror/cult convention this past weekend. He was very nice. I had a choice to either get this signed or my copy of SNES Batman Forever, but I think I made the right choice here.

Absolutely the right choice.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Long time no haul post so why not

A wild PCB appears but what is it for?

Why it's a JVS to JAMMA interface card. JVS is considered "JAMMA+" being an extension of the standard to allow for much more inputs. But why would I need such a thing?!

For arcade games duh. This is basically a brand new Taito Type X2 which is newer and not retro so gently caress posting about that. I do however have Tetris Grand Master 3 working on it now so that's hot.

:retrogames: :retrogames: I now have a Naomi netboot setup which lets me play all Naomi and Atomis Wave games :quagmire:

Oh and I cleaned up the io wiring later. I've wired up the JVS interface into Undamned USB decoders which allow me to use PS3/360/etc fight sticks as controllers for the systems.

and now I'm looking at maybe buying a New Net City cab :gonk:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So you just decided you had too much free time and money laying around, right?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Well it started out that I've been talking to a friend about getting a netboot setup for the longest time and a netdimm + naomi popped up on eBay which accepted a drunken offer. Since I had that I needed the io pcb which is much cheaper on yaj but if you're going to do an order from Japan it's better to load up so EMS isn't stupidly expensive and so then I grabbed the X2 since it was so mint. Then a friend informed me they had a container of cabs coming and 4 new net cities were on it and :gonk:

Moral of the story is never send drunken eBay offers :retrogames:

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

flyboi posted:

now I'm looking at maybe buying a New Net City cab :gonk:

Is there a place doing a group buy right now or something?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

Is there a place doing a group buy right now or something?

There's a guy who is getting a container of cabs but they're all spoken for. I'm still waiting to hear back if I got in on time or not.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Oh my god someone finally made the perfect "plug and play" game system.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

univbee posted:

hell yeah

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

Please please please tell me it's the arcade game inside there.

I think for my birthday I'm going to order one of the LCD keychain versions of this from Japan...

Edit: Actually, scratch that. Link me to the amazon.co.jp entry for that baby.

Edit2: 1. Got it. 2. Holy gently caress that price. Why don't I just buy a Shinkansen controller as long as I'm :retrogames: ing.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 22, 2017

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I think for my birthday I'm going to order one of the LCD keychain versions of this from Japan...

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B07353Z6TT

It has the PS2 2004 Densha De Go! FINAL built-in, apparently.

Probably looking at $200 after shipping.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Random Stranger posted:

Brief googling suggests it's the 2004 PS2 iteration in the box, not the arcade game.

Edit - beaten with a link, too

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Brief googling suggests it's the 2004 PS2 iteration in the box, not the arcade game.

The screenshot on the Amazon page makes it look like someone did a widescreen adaptation of Final.

Edit: I checked the contents of it and it is definitely Final. The lines are exactly the same.

Another edit: Why did nobody tell me they released an official Densha de Go pocketwatch last year? Finally those spots in the controller can be filled in properly.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 22, 2017

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's the PC version of Final, cleaned up a little for 720p.

There's a black one and a limited-edition yellow one that's probably already sold out.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

flyboi posted:

:retrogames: :retrogames: I now have a Naomi netboot setup which lets me play all Naomi and Atomis Wave games :quagmire:

:stare: :stare: :stare: :stare:

Hope Miss Meowbox is doing well.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
She's doing good, on meds to make her eat more so she's even more meow boxy

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

how much was the whole netboot setup

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Question, how the gently caress do Naomi 2 and Atomiswave and Triforce games work on a Naomi netboot? Do you have to have that arcade hardware, or can you somehow run those games on a regular ol' Naomi?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

univbee posted:

I'm confused by how it works. Not the controller itself, I mean the HDMI cable.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Zand posted:

how much was the whole netboot setup

Depends on the cut off.. naomi + netboot was $200, psu was $40, parts to crimp + ac filter & fuse were $10, IO was $20, encoders were $35/pop

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Question, how the gently caress do Naomi 2 and Atomiswave and Triforce games work on a Naomi netboot? Do you have to have that arcade hardware, or can you somehow run those games on a regular ol' Naomi?

Atomiswave is literally a naomi in different clothing so just a few changes in the binary results in a working game. Naomi 2 has 2 CPUs so they don't work on Naomi 1. Triforce/Chihiro is also more powerful but not sure how. Naomi 2 has Virtual Fighter 4 to play and then some racing games so didn't bother because it's a lot more money. Triforce/Chihiro requires entirely new boards and mostly racing games so bleh.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The majority of Chihiro games of note got ports, and you can run Triforce games on a Wii, if you're not super picky about the arcade hardware.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

flyboi posted:

Atomiswave is literally a naomi in different clothing so just a few changes in the binary results in a working game.
To elaborate: NAOMI is a Dreamcast with some faster processors and way more memory, while the Atomiswave is nigh-identical to a retail Dreamcast hardware-wise.

flyboi posted:

Triforce/Chihiro is also more powerful but not sure how.
Triforce is a Gamecube with more/upgradable RAM and GD-ROM media (except for some Namco games, which use ROM carts). Chihiro is an original-recipe Xbox with more RAM and GD-ROM media (except for like three games which use DVD).

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I'm confused by how it works. Not the controller itself, I mean the HDMI cable.

I think it's just showing off the a/v connector so it's clear what input you'll need. It doesn't come with either micro USB or HDMI cables. There was also a model only available for 30 hours on Amazon JP during Prime Day.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Also, because my RSS somehow didnt tell me about this two months ago: New Ed Fries arcade repair adventures, this time about Gran Trak 10.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Hey guys, guess what happened with the SNES Classic pre-orders in the US.

Go on, guess.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

univbee posted:

Go on, guess.

it's hosed

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.

flyboi posted:

Oh and I cleaned up the io wiring later. I've wired up the JVS interface into Undamned USB decoders which allow me to use PS3/360/etc fight sticks as controllers for the systems.

I'd like to do something similar, can you show off more of that custom enclosure? And where do you recommend buying a Taito Type X?

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

univbee posted:

Go on, guess.

Unless I missed something and they went up more places I'll be amazed if this isn't a repeat of the Walmart thing. Nintendo clearly has set a time that preorders can start and I doubt that 1:30am on a Monday night is that. Not to mention that it was just one store again. They're almost definitely getting cancelled.

Stores are just getting ready for preorders to probably happen sometime this week and someone fat fingered something. I'm going to be ready at 1:30pm today though in case the am/pm was what they messed up.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

Unless I missed something and they went up more places I'll be amazed if this isn't a repeat of the Walmart thing. Nintendo clearly has set a time that preorders can start and I doubt that 1:30am on a Monday night is that. Not to mention that it was just one store again. They're almost definitely getting cancelled.

Stores are just getting ready for preorders to probably happen sometime this week and someone fat fingered something. I'm going to be ready at 1:30pm today though in case the am/pm was what they messed up.

Nah, Nintendo released trailers and preorder info on their website and everything. Best Buy and Amazon both accepted preorders at roughly the same time, and you don't accidentally coordinate that kind of thing. (and both sold out of course) This seems to be the official preorder-start-date

I'm sure the other places accepting preorders will start opening their stuff up within the next 24 hours or so.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Kins posted:

Also, because my RSS somehow didnt tell me about this two months ago: New Ed Fries arcade repair adventures, this time about Gran Trak 10.

That was a good and cool read.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

UnhandledException posted:

I'd like to do something similar, can you show off more of that custom enclosure? And where do you recommend buying a Taito Type X?

The enclosure isn't much special, just a box that I drilled/filed holes into. Basically you just need a JVS interface - I went with the Sega "Rev B"http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/JVS#Sega_838-13683-93 due to it being so common that it was cheapest and there's a manual with full documentation at http://www.fillmoregames.com/pdf/sega_420-6457.pdf

Once you have the io and the pinout you just get Undamned Decoders https://paradisearcadeshop.com/undamned-usb-decoder/1491-undamned-usb-decoder.html and wire them up to the appropriate power pins. The IO requires power on the Jamma end so I wired +5V and GND to a usb cable which I plug into the back of the x2 and have an adapter to plug into the 5V plug on the Naomi.

Naomi requires its own power as well which you can wire an ATX panel up to however Naomi must have 3.3V which makes a lot of ATX PSUs useless and they require crimping capability or finding someone to make you a cable.

As for getting a Type X2 I used Buyee on Yahoo Auctions Japan however patience is better than going full dumb like I had. They typically go for around 10k JPY but a listing of a ton went up at 20k which is very over priced but due to how mint this one looked I figured it was worth the risk for the added cost. Then it turned out to be unused so I guess it worked out. Be aware that there are model incompatibilities with KOF13 and my model (205A) does not work with it. 208A models and above while still retaining the p4 3.4GHz and nVidia 7900 are the best to get. You also will need to upgrade the ram to run all the hacked releases.

Also I think Atomiswave had double the ram of Dreamcast but I could be wrong there.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 22, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The Atomiswave has 16 MB system RAM, 16 MB VRAM, and 8 MB RAM for audio.

The Dreamcast is 16, 8 and 2 respectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrownClown
Dec 7, 2007

Will rap for smash leaks
Hopefully this is OK, but I'm selling my CRT (Olympus OEV203) on SA-Mart. So if anyone is in the Boston/Cambridge/Somerville area: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831362

• Locked thread