Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

That's radically different from everything I'm used to since every phone after my Nexus One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Been that way since the Nexus 6.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

CLAM DOWN posted:

Did you get a Pixel? If so, install it as soon as it pops up as an OTA! No need to wait :) If you have another phone, you'll have to wait until that OEM releases their update, sadly

Of course I got a Pixel.

Ok doing it then, I'll hold you personally responsible if it goes poorly.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I have a Pixel XL and I see no upgrade :(

Do I have to wait for Rogers to tease me for a couple months first?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The Duggler posted:

I have a Pixel XL and I see no upgrade :(

Do I have to wait for Rogers to tease me for a couple months first?

OTA updates are slow rollout, both to keep servers from exploding and also catch release issues before everyone has the new version. If you bought the phone from Google it has nothing to do with your carrier.

With that said, I'm still gonna whine that I don't get mine right away.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

If you got it through a carrier, they'll have to approve it. If yours is unlocked people have apparently already been getting the ota.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I got my Pixel XL from Google and nothing yet, I am so impatient *stamps feet like infant*

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Still itching to replace the S7. Zenfone 3 Zoom. Thoughts?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

codo27 posted:

The UI is kind of poo poo and the camera is actually not that great considering it was supposed to be the selling point, but for the price it's got nice specs and the battery is fuckin huge if that's your thing. Might help if we knew your budget and what you're looking for in a phone.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Camera quality is paramount, and I wanna keep the budget down as I'm about to buy a house. The big battery would be a huge boon to me, I'm getting about 12 hours outta my S7 right now but thats kinda due to having no cell service most of the time. I'm not concerned with gaming performance or any nonsense like that, I'm a power user on PC but I loving hate phones and only use them when on the go mainly. I dont want junk but it doesn't have to be the absolute bleeding edge

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Been that way since the Nexus 6.

The last Google phone I bought was the Nexus One v:shobon:v

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

codo27 posted:

Looking at them side by side the zenphone is looking like a downgrade in a lot of respects and a sidegrade at best in most respects except for maybe the camera (and that depends on how well the zenphone camera software processes, which I'm guessing is probably not as well as the dedicated good-to-great cameraphone guys like Sony is or even Samsung can be on flagships).

Sit on the S7 another year and see what drops for early 2018 budget phones before you start looking to upgrade the phone camera on the cheap. If you really want a *good* camera phone you need to be willing to dish out :flagshipbux: or at the very least being OK buying a Pixel 1 on the cheap when the Pixel 2 comes out.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 21, 2017

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
It's my update and I want it now! :mad:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Wacky Delly posted:

If yours is unlocked people have apparently already been getting the ota.

The only OTA reports so far were for those on DP4 and those were even erroring out. It really doesn't look like the OTA is ready yet.

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.
You can just download the factory images (which are out now) if you don't want to wait for OTA. I'm here on my S8+ and I won't be seeing this for at least until the end of the year if I'm lucky. Lucky bastards.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Factory images aren't ideal unless you want to
wipe your device.

You could dirty flash, but it's not really advisable with going between major versions.

I'm sure the OTA will show up in the next day or so and then you can just sideload it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Don't you have to have an unlocked Bootloader in order to flash a full factory image?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Don't you have to have an unlocked Bootloader in order to flash a full factory image?

Generally, yes. It's a single command line to relock it after update though

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Which also triggers a wipe.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

If you have a Pixel/XL the OTA will arrive soon, we just have to be patient :ohdear:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

If you have a Pixel/XL the OTA will arrive soon, we just have to be patient :ohdear:

Heck, if you have anything it won't be that long. I haven't seen much of a wait for the monthly otas recently.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

I got my Pixel XL from Google and nothing yet, I am so impatient *stamps feet like infant*

I just tell myself that I made it through waiting for the Android 6 OTA to drop for my Droid Turbo.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm on DP4 and I just got an system update notification.

--edit: 36MB, so not much changed from DP4.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm on DP4 and I just got an system update notification.

*shits jorts furiously spamming download on the factory image*

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Got an 950mb update

I don't know what's different

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yeah, my new build number is the same as with the factory images, OPR6.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

give the thing google!!!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

codo27 posted:

Camera quality is paramount, and I wanna keep the budget down as I'm about to buy a house. The big battery would be a huge boon to me, I'm getting about 12 hours outta my S7 right now but thats kinda due to having no cell service most of the time. I'm not concerned with gaming performance or any nonsense like that, I'm a power user on PC but I loving hate phones and only use them when on the go mainly. I dont want junk but it doesn't have to be the absolute bleeding edge
If you already own a Galaxy S7 I think the ZF3 is going to be a disappointment. If you're itching to replace it and want a good camera you may want to look at the Mate 9 which is now under $450, or a OnePlus 5 which is a very volatile subject around here but generally a good phone for the money.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

If you want a good camera you should buy a pixel and if 800 dollars is an influencing factor you shouldn't be buying a house

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I consider Camera Quality to be near the top of my list of phone priorities and I love the G5+. Buy it and stop worrying.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Blue Train posted:

If you want a good camera you should buy a pixel and if 800 dollars is an influencing factor you shouldn't be buying a house

Granted $800 might be a liquid money thing since it isn't like poo poo's a lump sum at closing, you pay for various poo poo along the way like an inspection.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Blue Train posted:

Maybe you should lay off the armchair financial advice and let people manage their own lives you presumptuous gently caress,

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

Granted $800 might be a liquid money thing since it isn't like poo poo's a lump sum at closing, you pay for various poo poo along the way like an inspection.

Fair enough

Don Dongington posted:

Maybe you should lay off the armchair financial advice and let people manage their own lives you presumptuous gently caress,

lol

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Another DP4 goon here being updated to final release on Pixel. 36MB download, like a security patch really.

Edit: Maybe a placebo effect but it's feeling a bit snappier and more responsive than DP4, which was already smooth and fast. This thing is getting a factory reset tomorrow anyway to allow peak Pixel.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 22, 2017

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I did the "enroll in the beta then unenroll" trick to get the OTA right away. Got it on both my XL and C.
https://www.google.com/android/beta

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

butt dickus posted:

I did the "enroll in the beta then unenroll" trick to get the OTA right away. Got it on both my XL and C.

This worked for me for my XL

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

butt dickus posted:

Worked for me, instantly. Good call!

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

butt dickus posted:

Did the same on my 6p. Did something similar for Nougat as I recall. This white notifications/settings is going to take some getting used to.

Regretful Humming
Apr 27, 2015

butt dickus posted:

This won't wipe my phone if I do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Regretful Humming posted:

This won't wipe my phone if I do this?

It never wipes your phone to join the beta program. If you leave and you aren't on final software, it has to wipe to downgrade versions. However, since opting into the program will install final software right now, you can safely leave immediately after you are installed and stay put on that version.