Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I always hit yes and it's like "well better never show it again then :downs:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The cached files for Windows Spotlight are in
code:
%localappdata%\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.ContentDeliveryManager_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\Assets
You just need to copy the ones that are over a couple of hundred kb out of there and rename them to jpg. Then you can use them with the regular slideshow feature.

Might want to re-enable spotlight occasionally to get a fresh batch.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Amazons pices have gone WAAAAYYYY up. And search results for items are mainly Chinese (no offense but listen to the next part) Chinese companies who inevitably sell the same thing on ali express for balls cheap prices. Pick has a thread about it and you can get anything you can dream of for like $1 but I'm still nervous about it being super sketchy so I haven't actually gone there. So currently I'm stuck w amazon and no way in hell im gonna pay that price right now.

I just need a real OR faux small down blanket, it shouldn't be more than $5 imo but everything on amazon is $20 or more!!

Here's the aliexpress thread by the way, has useful tips (and I really want those fake-food key chains).

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3806076

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I cleaned up my computer desk / area of the various receipts, scratch paper, movie box plastic wrap, and other random detritus. It was beginning to look nasty as hell, and I feel better for doing it.

... except that it's exposed the base layer of dust and snack crumbs that me and my partner are guilty of depositing on the thing ("We should stop eating poo poo at this table." "Yeah, it gets things kinda groady" "Eh."), and it's to the level that to actually get clean, it'll require a take-everything-off-and-go-to-town-on-it level of cleaning that I really don't have the effort to do.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

post a picture of the desk

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Kelp Me! posted:

post a picture of the desk

Had to shrink it down, since it's a big loving desk, so this is the best you'll get.

e: I can't seem to get it to expand to its proper size in-forum, so here's a link.

(Blame me for the cord-and-device messes to the left and right of the computer proper all you want, but the not-so-awesome wood paneling and built-in hatch-looking table surface that composes the little cubbyhole that is my computer area is the previous owner's doing).

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 06:40 on Aug 23, 2017

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

The cached files for Windows Spotlight are in
code:
%localappdata%\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.ContentDeliveryManager_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\Assets
You just need to copy the ones that are over a couple of hundred kb out of there and rename them to jpg. Then you can use them with the regular slideshow feature.

Might want to re-enable spotlight occasionally to get a fresh batch.

quoting this so I can gently caress around with it at some point, thank u

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I live in Phoenix :mad:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Dave Grool posted:

I live in Phoenix :mad:

this is aggravating but it's most likely not any human error as much as it is a computer routing program

I mean yours is a particularly bad example, but I often see stuff I've ordered go in the opposite direction from me because of the location of the big distribution centers.

e: also the way it's worded on that image makes it seem like it's one of those 2-party deliveries like FedEx SmartPost which could also explain it

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Playstation keeps changing where the Youtube app is located, and it never stays in one place for more than a couple weeks at a time.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
My cat woke me up at around 5 am attacking my feet and I couldn't get back to sleep, but now I'm going to be tired all day.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Thin Privilege posted:

Amazons pices have gone WAAAAYYYY up. And search results for items are mainly Chinese (no offense but listen to the next part) Chinese companies who inevitably sell the same thing on ali express for balls cheap prices. Pick has a thread about it and you can get anything you can dream of for like $1 but I'm still nervous about it being super sketchy so I haven't actually gone there. So currently I'm stuck w amazon and no way in hell im gonna pay that price right now.

I just need a real OR faux small down blanket, it shouldn't be more than $5 imo but everything on amazon is $20 or more!!

Here's the aliexpress thread by the way, has useful tips (and I really want those fake-food key chains).

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3806076

AliExpress is great if you don't need something immediately and can wait 3 weeks for it to arrive by China Post's cheapest freight option. I got an OBD2 Bluetooth dongle for my car for 4 bucks on AliExpress.

Good place to get phones from Chinese manufacturers like Huawei or XiaoMi, although you do have to look more closely at the tech specs to make sure it'll be compatible with your provider.

AliExpress is great. Amazon is great too but definitely use both, they have their strengths.

kreyla
Dec 31, 2008
I am finally licensed in my chosen profession but now I can't find a job.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

kreyla posted:

I am finally licensed in my chosen profession but now I can't find a job.

There's plenty of massage clients on craigslist.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Why are people so loving bad at using escalators

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Got an old laptop that I want to use as a music player, reset it to factory state to get rid of the previous owner's crap, now it's sitting here installing update 80 of 120. It's been two hours.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

My Lovely Horse posted:

Got an old laptop that I want to use as a music player, reset it to factory state to get rid of the previous owner's crap, now it's sitting here installing update 80 of 120. It's been two hours.

most of IT work is watching progress numbers going up

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm wondering if I shouldn't have given it a fresh install of Windows 10 altogether, cause the previous owner's crap is gone, but ASUS' crap is also back on.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm wondering if I shouldn't have given it a fresh install of Windows 10 altogether, cause the previous owner's crap is gone, but ASUS' crap is also back on.
Yeah. Recently downloaded install media would also have more recent updates integrated to it (to a degree).

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The new health craze in my small town is drinking tonic water to help with joint pain, and all the stores are sold out. All of them. So now I'm having Martinis tonight instead of gin and tonics like I wanted :mad:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I was dumb and forgot that the UFC stuff as a whole starts at 8 my time, not the headline match (or whatever it's called).

In hindsight, duh, of course the main fight is gonna be the last thing of the night, there's zero need to get a seat early.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
There is a ton of drama in the cat rescue right now.

1. The vet tech suddenly quit, and her 30+ fosters had to be removed from her house within 4 days. We had no vet services for a week.

2. Vet tech, in the space of one week, goes on Facebook announcing she is leaving the rescue. Then posts she needs help finding a new job outside of rescue work. The next day announces she is going to Scotland. A week later she is opening her own rescue and has a Kickstarter for it.

3. The vet tech's mom, also the treasurer of the rescue, quits. Her fosters, 40 animals, needs to find new homes. Her garage also served as storage for the rescue, so pallets of food and litter had to be removed within a few days.

4. I man the emails for the rescue. There is a heated fight between the director and the ex-tech about animals the latter argues were adopted to her, the director says they were not and must be returned. This is all over the emails right now, making it hard for me to mark the inbox as completed.

5. Turns out the vet tech did not quit. She was asked to leave. She had a part-time job on the side for extra cash, and someone in the rescue felt that was disrespectful, and demanded she quit, and kept pushing the board of directors to get rid of the tech. Tech refused to quit her side job. Same person in the rescue sent out a Reply All email to everyone in the rescue that "we got rid of the daughter, now get rid of the mother.' Forgetting the treasurer/mom was in the Reply All.

6. Rescue is over capacity with all these animals, and the loving board is quibbling over 2 loving cats with lifelong health issues and threatening police action if the tech does not return them.

THE gently caress.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
For gently caress's sake, why (of all times) my internet connectivity on my Wi-Fi shits the bed at midnight/1am? Speedtest is saying my download is peaking at 4mbps, so basically everything is either loading incredibly slowly, or stalling out completely.

E: vvv Yeah, I'm on cable, and I've wondered that myself. Thing is, the speeds I generally get when torrenting stuff is so good that it almost feels like it wouldn't be the case: no need to turn on a torrent all night, it'll be done in less than an hour.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 06:30 on Aug 28, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Are you on cable? Probably your neighbors on the same network cranking up the torrents.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Outrail posted:

Ask her about the importance of Himalayan salt, and how toxic table salt is.

Not really related, but this reminded of of something. A friend had a crazy girlfriend, and they were at my house one time and I offered them coffee.
:) Would you like sugar in your coffee?
:byodame: Yes please, but only if you have brown sugar. I can't have white sugar because I'm a vegetarian.
:) Um... I didn't know white sugar wasn't okay for vegetarians?
:byodame: Oh yes. They put whale fat in it to make it go white, so I can't eat it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
A barista that I enjoyed talking with is leaving my local coffee shop. We didn't know each other outside of the store, so it's not like I'm losing my best friend or anything, but she brightened my mornings.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Stoatbringer posted:

Not really related, but this reminded of of something. A friend had a crazy girlfriend, and they were at my house one time and I offered them coffee.
:) Would you like sugar in your coffee?
:byodame: Yes please, but only if you have brown sugar. I can't have white sugar because I'm a vegetarian.
:) Um... I didn't know white sugar wasn't okay for vegetarians?
:byodame: Oh yes. They put whale fat in it to make it go white, so I can't eat it.

The whale fat is weird, but historically bone char was used in sugar refining. Not so much anymore, as I understand it, but it's not completely out of practice.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
My brain interrupted it's own REM sleep thinking it heard my alarm go off when it hadn't I woke up 2 hours early feeling super groggy, then noticed it wasn't 4:30 but 2:30, and went back to bed. Luckily I got back to REM for those two hours but it sucked in hte meantime... I hate when my brain interrupts my dreams, I feel like crap for a while.

It doesn't happen often but I also hate when I accidentally nap, because I don't sleep during the day normally, I'm not used to it. I end up waking up at 4:30pm thinking it's 4:30am, and feeling like I haven't showered or brushed my teeth yet even though I did when it was the actual morning and not the bullshit fake morning I am currently experiencing. My mouth is just a cotton lined rat-king of bacteria and it just feels gross.

The human body and brain are the two dumbest machines on earth, it's amazing they function at all sometimes.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

My brain interrupted it's own REM sleep thinking it heard my alarm go off when it hadn't I woke up 2 hours early feeling super groggy, then noticed it wasn't 4:30 but 2:30, and went back to bed. Luckily I got back to REM for those two hours but it sucked in hte meantime... I hate when my brain interrupts my dreams, I feel like crap for a while.

It doesn't happen often but I also hate when I accidentally nap, because I don't sleep during the day normally, I'm not used to it. I end up waking up at 4:30pm thinking it's 4:30am, and feeling like I haven't showered or brushed my teeth yet even though I did when it was the actual morning and not the bullshit fake morning I am currently experiencing. My mouth is just a cotton lined rat-king of bacteria and it just feels gross.

The human body and brain are the two dumbest machines on earth, it's amazing they function at all sometimes.

At least I have a cat to blame for waking me up super early this morning.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just pepper sprayed myself by taking my spicy mac and cheese out of the oven.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I AM SO HUNGRY THAT ITS MAKING ME MAD.

The job I applied for wants me to take a typing test online (wtf). Minimum is 40 WPM with 3 or fewer mistakes.
My normal WPM is 80, I think but there is no way I don't gently caress up a fair amount.
They hide the test is an open-ended writing prompt. All that it grades is your WPM, number of backspaces and if you paste anything.

If I didn't want the job so bad I would just write a bunch of correctly spelled garbage.

Edit: My phone does this weird thing where I write a word (spelled correctly) but it will replace it with another word if it feels like it is more correct.
It never is. Ever.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Helios Grime posted:

It's nice and warm during the week while I work and come Friday Thursday afternoon it will start to rain, dropping the temperature in the night to almost 0°C.

I'll just quote myself again because this poo poo is happening again.

Also one of my tupperwares was leaking in my backpack and I got carrotjuice on my back now.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I have the opposite weather problem. I traveled to Belize to volunteer in January and February and it was always 30C. Returned to Canada halfway through March and was so sick I never left my house for weeks. May rolls around and we enter a heatwave and drought that has hardly let up at all even now. It's just been day after day of hot blazing sun and forest fire smoke and I am so sick of it. I miss rain so much. And I can't wait for it to snow.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Inzombiac posted:

Edit: My phone does this weird thing where I write a word (spelled correctly) but it will replace it with another word if it feels like it is more correct.
It never is. Ever.

Android with Google Keyboard? Yeah :(:hf::(

If you find a solution let me know.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
I have a full seven hour shift ahead of me (technically it's like 5 hours now since I'm two hours in but whatever) and it's going to be hell on earth. A fully booked morning of consultations, two surgical procedures and a sedation and xrays, with no breaks unless I can somehow manage to scrape a couple of extra minutes in the toilet to cry about my life choices. I hate the week after a bank holiday, they're always horrendous.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Mikl posted:

Settings > Languages & Input > Virtual Keyboard > Gboard > Text correction > Auto-correction > off

If you've got other virtual keyboards installed, probably go through them as well. I've got a Google Indic Keyboard here as well, that has Auto spell correction settings for every language under Input.

Of course, if you mistype something, it won't automatically be fixed anymore either; you'll have to manually select the correction from the suggestion line yourself. I'm happier knowing any mistakes in what I write are mine though.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Mikl posted:

I use Swype and I don't have that problem.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The Pizza Hut near my place has closed down. I don't really have any major attachment to PH on its own (although I admit to liking their pan pizzas for being between cardboard flatbreads and legit deep dish pizza), it's mostly that it was ten minutes from my place.

E: oh, and just after I had lunch, and full, do I remember that I had wanted to try Greek Yogurt this afternoon.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 19:05 on Aug 30, 2017

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

it doesn't really count as 'same day shipping' if you just create the shipping label w/ a tracking number in order to say it was shipped and then have the package sit around in 'pre-shipment' for 3 days

it's priority mail too! if they actually shipped it monday, it would be here by now! it probably won't arrive until after the holiday too! ugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
My friend is trying to find an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner, and he asked me where to find one, and hosed if I know.

I thought wal mart, or big lots, but NOPE. Now I'm up way too loving early and I'm thoroughly confused as to where to buy one even semi locally.

Plus apparently the earliest like Amazon could get here is next weekend sometime thanks to the hurricane and holiday.