Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Beato with the almighty :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Considering how the last episode went, it was nice to get an uplifting episode afterwards. Part of me was expecting dreading a tragic ending, especially when Poison Gas Jack tried to open that gas canister, but Jesus Christ would that have been needlessly cruel. This episode ended up being far more uplifting than I expected, and that was a very pleasant surprise.

Speaking of Poison Gas Jack, he might have been based off of the Mad Gasser of Mattoon, or at least an amalgam of him and Jack the Ripper.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Delinquent!Ange was extremely good.

Imamura really showed off her range with that act.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Grouchio posted:

Have we run into any commies or anarchists in this show?

paragon1 posted:

Did you see any?
They showed her eating on top of the machine, and engaging in a work slowdown multiple times. At the very least, she's a saboteur and potentially even a unionist agitator.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 21, 2017

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm glad they had a mission that didn't end in misery and death for once

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm glad they had a mission that didn't end in misery and death for once

I dunno, pretty sure that Chise busted Gas Attack Jack's skull open at the end there.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

jng2058 posted:

I dunno, pretty sure that Chise busted Gas Attack Jack's skull open at the end there.

i don't feel terribly bad for the nerve gas serial killer

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
have i mentioned that this show is insanely good and i love it

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

The Colonel posted:

have i mentioned that this show is insanely good and i love it

I'm glad your wish that Princess Principal would be good came true

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I'm glad your wish that Princess Principal would be good came true

Let's just not jinx it before we're done.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I sorta liked this episode, it was relaxed after the tension of the previous ep (even if this ep took place beforehand).

Though it could have been better, while I like how this show talks touches on systemic oppression of the industrial underclass and the need for worker ownership of capital, it never gets as far as it could. It could have ended with the Princess selling the laundry to the girls working there outright, or offering up a payment plan, instead it just gets added to her capital assets, and offers yet another loose end an enemy spy agency can track her.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Princess never owned the laundry mill - she didn't have the money to buy it. It's an asset of Control.

Once it's paid for itself, they will presumably be happy to quietly hold on to a large, industrial fixture near the wall with unsuspicious access to a major military base.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Beato confirmed to be a distant relative of Haruka Amami

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even though they didn't end up blowing everything up for once, they left a whole lot of people behind who remember them fondly and will likely talk about these wonderful, very distinctive girls they met who bought the mill and fixed it overnight to everyone they know. ange was the only one who properly distracted the mill workers, as her performance likely overshadowed her appearance.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

even though they didn't end up blowing everything up for once, they left a whole lot of people behind who remember them fondly and will likely talk about these wonderful, very distinctive girls they met who bought the mill and fixed it overnight to everyone they know. ange was the only one who properly distracted the mill workers, as her performance likely overshadowed her appearance.

Man, it sure is amazing that the Princess disguised herself as a commoner to better understand the plight of the working man!

Poison Gas Jack wasn't a Empire intel asset and only one person even saw them interacting with him at all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

paragon1 posted:

Man, it sure is amazing that the Princess disguised herself as a commoner to better understand the plight of the working man!

Poison Gas Jack wasn't a Empire intel asset and only one person even saw them interacting with him at all.

they dealt with jack quietly, yeah. but some girl buying a mill outright and then disappearing? that kind of story gets around.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

paragon1 posted:

And I hear she more than doubled its efficiency! What a genius administrator! I'd sure love it if she were queen.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the premise of the ep was goofy but i thought it was a really fun and relaxing time so i'm ok with it

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

they dealt with jack quietly, yeah. but some girl buying a mill outright and then disappearing? that kind of story gets around.

It's not disappearing if you tell everyone "hey I'm leaving" and then do so. And even if the mill workers do decide to tell the whole world their story, and the whole world listens, and also finds out she was actually the Princess,

well then:

paragon1 posted:

AnoHito posted:

And I hear she more than doubled its efficiency! What a genius administrator! I'd sure love it if she were queen.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
"huh the air princess has the money to buy a mill outright and is also sneaking around? that's odd."

no one thing they do is enough to expose them, but it keeps adding up.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

You're all going to look exceptionally foolish nitpicking the spycraft when they pull a Code Geass around episode 20 or so, and reveal the Black Lizard Planet is real & planning an invasion.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Rangpur posted:

You're all going to look exceptionally foolish nitpicking the spycraft when they pull a Code Geass around episode 20 or so, and reveal the Black Lizard Planet is real & planning an invasion.

I tend to doubt they'll go that far with the Black Lizard Planet, though they might find an odd way to reference where the idea came from (perhaps the source of all this steampunk technology isn't really Earth?) and why Ange repeats it so much, but I do agree that it's better to not go to great lengths to nitpick a show that is more or less the anime version of classic James Bond, except with a cast of girls instead of Sean Connery or Roger Moore.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

"huh the air princess has the money to buy a mill outright and is also sneaking around? that's odd."

no one thing they do is enough to expose them, but it keeps adding up.

Most people aren't going to question a member of the royal family of the world's most powerful empire having a lot of money and engaging in weird hobbies.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Preview image for the next episode!

Hold on to your :3:s.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

That title though....:ohdear:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's, uh, the name of a kind of Victorian sweet....

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I would honestly be fine if the rest of this show were just them going around fixing peoples lives under the guise of doing vague spy work.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

yeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaah

Hear me i say
Cross the wall

This kid is a terrible pickpocket.
e: :smith:

e:e: Chise, what are you even doing?

a kitten fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 27, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ange and Princess are very powerful and I hope they change the world together as benevolent tyrant queens

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Giant T4 bacteriophage terrorises small child.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

a kitten posted:

e:e: Chise, what are you even doing?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

a kitten posted:

Beato is gonna accidentally invent the Martian tripods from War of the Worlds at this rate.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Among many other things, this whole callback was super good.

e:

Nice :h: on that door.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 28, 2017

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Just caught up on this show. I love spy stuff so this show has been really fun for me so far. It's doing a good job of mixing crazy Bond spy shenanigans with Le Carre gutpunches and downer endings

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

a kitten posted:

yeah what in the world is that thing

also hooray they're not blood related

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
That was a pretty interesting take on the old Prince & the Pauper story. The idea of the pauper having to become a lifelong overachiever for fear of being found out is a pretty tragic and grim one.

https://twitter.com/kuroboshi/status/901805151173742593

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

The last two episodes didn't really catch me the same way the first few did, but this one was great.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The guards pre-revolution were clearly terrible at their job at managing the princess, they couldn't even tell there were two people there.

Anyway, I really like how they construct the themes and messages of the show, and how they build up the tensions within the two leads. The current Charlotte doesn't value her position that highly, and no wonder she's taking on insane risks.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
hope all 5 of them orphans got in on that letter of introduction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
This is a really good show. Tied with Bahamut for AOTS.

I wonder if Ange dyes her hair.

• Locked thread