Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Hoping for the best for you :love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Ultrasound showed baby is active with a strong heartbeat. Measuring 12 weeks 4 days even though according to my cycle I'm 11 weeks 5 days. Big baby!

Going in for a follow up appointment tomorrow morning so I can get the radiographer's report and resting at home another day.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Okay so after the follow up at the doctor, got the radiographer's report. I have a couple of haematoma that were most likely the cause of my bleed.

I've got my nuchal scan ultrasound next week so they'll be able to monitor this further. My doctor said I'll need to take it easy, no strenuous housework or exercise, and limit sex. I'm also probably going to be prone to further bleeds during the pregnancy.

I'm glad I've got a healthy baby but it's been an emotional couple of days. I'm a bit sad too that I'm at a higher risk and will need to be checked on more regularly than the norm.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
If you're working could you maybe get a doctors note to work from home if that's possible?

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I'm a high school teacher, so that makes it pretty difficult. I hadn't told my boss yet because I wanted to wait until my NT ultrasound, but I'll be telling them on Monday when I get in.

I'll be keeping an eye on how I'm feeling and trying to stay off my feet as much as I can, and if I need more time off or to reduce my workload, I'll do that.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Thank goodness it's summer break, and it sounds like you wouldn't be staying the whole school year anyway... I hope you can arrange something reasonable!

vvv Hmm, I see. The 2nd trimester is the most stable so I think there's a good chance you can work until December.

peanut fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 11, 2017

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I'm in Australia, so our summer break is in December. However, we've got a two week break in September, which will be very welcome.

My due date is somewhere between 18-24 February, so I may or may not come back after the summer break.

Roulette
Sep 17, 2006
Glad to hear you're okay femcastra!

I just hit 24 weeks and holy gently caress things HURT. By the end of the day I feel like my job consists of just getting kicked in the crotch by a horse for 9 hours a day. Of course the internet advice for swelling is just elevate it. So, do I just go home and elevate my vagina? Like what am I supposed to do here.

Also, little dude loves kicking/punching/headbutting all day long now. He doesn't sleep. It's just an ongoing barrage of gymnastics in there. At first it was cute but the stronger he gets the more he wakes me up at night. Lately he's been tap dancing on my cervix for added fun. At least he's strong!

I also realized I had really popped this week when I got in my car and had to move the seat back because my belly touches the steering wheel now. :hampants:

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Put a pillow under your butt and an ice pack wrapped in a towel between your legs. And sleep with a pillow between your knees if you don't already

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Roulette posted:

Glad to hear you're okay femcastra!

I just hit 24 weeks and holy gently caress things HURT. By the end of the day I feel like my job consists of just getting kicked in the crotch by a horse for 9 hours a day. Of course the internet advice for swelling is just elevate it. So, do I just go home and elevate my vagina? Like what am I supposed to do here.

Also, little dude loves kicking/punching/headbutting all day long now. He doesn't sleep. It's just an ongoing barrage of gymnastics in there. At first it was cute but the stronger he gets the more he wakes me up at night. Lately he's been tap dancing on my cervix for added fun. At least he's strong!

I also realized I had really popped this week when I got in my car and had to move the seat back because my belly touches the steering wheel now. :hampants:

That kicked in the crotch feeling will get a bit better, most likely! Other things may totally start to suck, though. Or maybe not! As your belly gets bigger and tips forward, I felt like it took some of the pressure off my crotch.

So, weird medical issue alert! :siren:

I don't know if you guys remember, but I had an issue in the third trimester where little dude dislocated my bottom ribs with his persistent big-ness. It eventually resolved when he dropped into my pelvis somewhere around week 35-36.

Well, ever since delivery I've had this awful thing where I can't breathe properly if I'm flat on my back. Everything else is fine, I can walk miles, but there's a huge awful heavy weight on my chest if I lay super flat.

My OB referred me to a pulmonologist who has had me do a bunch of imaging today. His working theory is that little dude did something to my diaphragm when he was up there rearranging the furniture in my rib cage. So I got irradiated so they could look at my diaphragm - the radiologist could definitely see that I couldn't breathe well, but said she couldn't see a cause and had never seen anything quite like it.

Pregnancy is magical!!! :sotw:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Argh I still remember the pop! and the pain when my front rib separated from the cartilage ring while I was laying down reading a book. Right where babbycakes always kicked me.

Roulette
Sep 17, 2006

cailleask posted:

That kicked in the crotch feeling will get a bit better, most likely! Other things may totally start to suck, though. Or maybe not! As your belly gets bigger and tips forward, I felt like it took some of the pressure off my crotch.

So, weird medical issue alert! :siren:

I don't know if you guys remember, but I had an issue in the third trimester where little dude dislocated my bottom ribs with his persistent big-ness. It eventually resolved when he dropped into my pelvis somewhere around week 35-36.

Well, ever since delivery I've had this awful thing where I can't breathe properly if I'm flat on my back. Everything else is fine, I can walk miles, but there's a huge awful heavy weight on my chest if I lay super flat.

My OB referred me to a pulmonologist who has had me do a bunch of imaging today. His working theory is that little dude did something to my diaphragm when he was up there rearranging the furniture in my rib cage. So I got irradiated so they could look at my diaphragm - the radiologist could definitely see that I couldn't breathe well, but said she couldn't see a cause and had never seen anything quite like it.

Pregnancy is magical!!! :sotw:

There is so much weird poo poo no one warns you about before getting knocked up.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I didn't know that a mucus plug was a thing until I got pregnant. I also thought it was gross until it became one of the most exciting moments of my pregnancy. Being pregnant is so gross in its own special way

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
My little dude seems to have dropped into the pelvis zone juuuust before he reached the point of kicking my ribs inside out, thank gently caress. There is no room in my ribcage for him.

Downside: feeling like somebody shoved a loving cantaloupe up in my vagina while I wasn't paying attention or something. Also, the waddle is real and the peeing is nonstop.

35 weeks and I'm so, so not ready for this. How the hell did I ever muster the hubris to MAKE A PERSON BE ALIVE

HOW WILL I KEEP HIM FROM BEING MISERABLE AND POSSIBLY DEAD FROM MY INCOMPETENCE, THERE IS NO BOOK OR ARTICLE THAT CAN MAKE THIS OKAY

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Welcome to motherhood!

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I was pregnant at the same time as a friend of mine and we were routinely texting each other about the status of weird crap coming out of our vags. Nobody understands but other pregnant (and postpartum) women.

Elise you got this. Babies aren't really so bad. They mostly don't do much or go anywhere. The first few weeks are mostly like caring for a noisy potted plant. It sort of eases you into the complicated stuff. Have you been surviving in the heat? I'm glad not to be pregnant this time of year, but I'm not sure that having a newborn strapped to my chest all the time is really much better.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
The heat is stupidly oppressive, not gonna lie. My husband rigged up a broken AC unit and it gets an area of our living room down to about 80°, which is an absolute blessing. Being overheated while pregnant is really an entirely new experience in discomfort, to be honest.

Anyway, I'm hoping that even if the kid keeps me awake a lot once he arrives, at least I'll be able to sleep at all during downtimes. Right now the insomnia is REAL.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

elise the great posted:

Anyway, I'm hoping that even if the kid keeps me awake a lot once he arrives, at least I'll be able to sleep at all during downtimes. Right now the insomnia is REAL.

I was shocked at just how little sleep I could function on postpartum, especially the first 2 weeks when he had to eat every 2-3 hours around the clock (FYI, that timer starts from the beginning of a feed, so if it takes 30 mins, you then have 1.5 -2.5 hours to do everything else you want to do). Then I nearly had a breakdown after 9 days because it was seriously adding up, and I was also having issues with breastfeeding, so now my husband takes one of the nighttime feedings with a bottle of pumped breastmilk and I get to sleep for a few hours with earplugs in. Even now at 7 weeks postpartum, as long as I get at least 5 hours total I'm functional, though definitely not pleasant!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It takes a few months to really make it routine, but "Sleep when baby sleeps." 8am nap just as your husband is having breakfast? See ya later, guy.
Having older kids who are still too young to make their own toast complicates it...

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I know this can sometimes be controversial but if you are able to do it safely, bedsharing has been my ticket to sleeping relatively well. When the baby gets big enough to side lay and latch on it's a dream. Now nobody's has to actually wake up when he's hungry, he doesn't even get to crying mode. I'll hear him fuss, pop a boob in his mouth and when he's done he falls off and goes back to sleep.

Is just be mindful and look into the safe ways of practicing that but it's truly been the best for us. Plus, all night little baby snuggles:love:

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
Seconding ^

Except prepare to sleep like a submariner- you will basically remain in the same position all night long if kiddo is nursing round the clock. You'll still have to wake up enough to reach out and latch kiddo on until they're mobile enough to do it themselves. Still, it's more rest than you'd get getting up and dragging your arse to a different room every two hours to feed baby if you install kid in a separate room. Assuming you can sleep through all the little snuffles and snorts they make all night, otherwise I'm sorry :smith:

And assuming you can sleep through soaking the bed with milk/baby soaking the bed with vomit when they get to that possetting stage. Oh man, now I remember that why the hell are we considering a second???

ETA: I also slept naked from the waist up with nothing covering me. In the middle of goddamned winter. Baby had basically a meter by meter square of empty flat+super hard mattress to herself, but she was in three layers for warmth. Some nights I'd sleep in a bathrobe both for warmth and to absorb spillages. Mostly I'd be freezing and stiff. Next time around I plan on having heating (I know, how civilised), sleeping in my own sleeping bag (rated to -5°C!) to my waist, wear a couple layers of cotton button up pajamas tops left undone, sleep on puppy pads(keep a stack next to the bed), and oh maybe not have a baby at the goddamned start of motherfucking winter

nyerf fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 17, 2017

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

54 40 or gently caress posted:

I know this can sometimes be controversial but if you are able to do it safely, bedsharing has been my ticket to sleeping relatively well. When the baby gets big enough to side lay and latch on it's a dream. Now nobody's has to actually wake up when he's hungry, he doesn't even get to crying mode. I'll hear him fuss, pop a boob in his mouth and when he's done he falls off and goes back to sleep.

Is just be mindful and look into the safe ways of practicing that but it's truly been the best for us. Plus, all night little baby snuggles:love:

I've tried side laying a couple times but he can't seem to latch properly that way and I end up with really sore nipples afterwards. We're finally getting latching down in cross cradle position so maybe in a few weeks I can try it again because that sounds awesome.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
Have you tried lying flat on your back and having baby on top of you? We started doing this some time back and now my 16 month old rarely lets me sleep on my side anymore. I guess I should be thankful that my major contribution to nursing is just to bare my chest these days (I can even have both arms by my sides!). The days nights when I had to hold her in cradle/cross cradle sucked so much. Next time I'm going to do laid back lazy nursing from the get go. Apart from in a plane seat I haven't nursed upright in like six months at least.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

nyerf posted:

Have you tried lying flat on your back and having baby on top of you? We started doing this some time back and now my 16 month old rarely lets me sleep on my side anymore. I guess I should be thankful that my major contribution to nursing is just to bare my chest these days (I can even have both arms by my sides!). The days nights when I had to hold her in cradle/cross cradle sucked so much. Next time I'm going to do laid back lazy nursing from the get go. Apart from in a plane seat I haven't nursed upright in like six months at least.

I tired a couple weeks ago but it didn't work at all. I don't know if it's because of the size difference, right now each boob is bigger than his head, but if that's the case then hopefully it works better as he gets bigger.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

My boobs hang roughly to my belly button (literally :bigtran:) so side-laying is way easier. I cosleep too. It's nerve wracking the first few times, but if you take precautions like pinning sheets down under the mattress so they can't come above waist height and not wearing lose clothes you can do it pretty reasonably. You generally do still put baby on his back to sleep.

I usually have one arm over his head and his head wedged into the space in my arm pit (where there's a guaranteed open air space). Also I don't move. Buuuuut he only wakes up 1-2 times a night now and it means I am very close to a full night of sleep.

Just be warned it's a tough habit to break. Kiddos really like being really cozy.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

KasioDiscoRock posted:

I tired a couple weeks ago but it didn't work at all. I don't know if it's because of the size difference, right now each boob is bigger than his head, but if that's the case then hopefully it works better as he gets bigger.

Side-lying gets easier as your nipples stretch out. That way you can get further away so all the boob meat doesn't interfere with their little noses.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Side lying took a couple months for me before he was big enough, it was still easier to sit up, feed him in a football hold and lay down then to get up and such. It definitely gets easier and the first few times I just felt like it was never going to work but ta default now.

Something interesting about cosleeping and SIDS that my midwife (who did her thesis on it) told me was that the following made up a majority of cases:
-someone other than biological parent in bed with baby
-taking narcotics/drugs/alcohol before bed
-smoking in the house
-smoking during pregnancy
-unsafe practices (too many blankets, too many pillows, loose sheets, etc)

Knowing that all made me feel so much more comfortable in my ability to bedshare. Plus legit the best feeling in the world is hearing him stir in the morning, having him look up at me and getting the biggest, happiest baby grin

elise the great
May 1, 2012

We got one of those little swaddle bassinet things that can go in or beside the bed, basically to get as close to cosleeping as we can without actually rolling over and squishing the kid. I'm not a fan of heavy blankets and I typically sleep in one position without moving, but my husband is a cuddle octopus who thrashes in the bed like a rock in a food processor and idk how I feel about tossing a newborn into that.

I also have teensy boobs so at least I'm less concerned about titsmothering the poor tyke.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

This is my favourite conversation in awhile :D

But I'm in the same boat as Elise, I'm not worried about him bedsharing with me, however my husband is so unaware of everything while he's sleeping that I've had to dodge elbows in the middle of the night to avoid getting hit in the face. No way am I putting a baby in that situation.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I've found myself pretty effectively fending off both toddler and husband attacks by making sure I always have my back to them in bed (and thus the newborn in front of me). No way they're getting over without waking me up!

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

nyerf posted:

Have you tried lying flat on your back and having baby on top of you? We started doing this some time back and now my 16 month old rarely lets me sleep on my side anymore. I guess I should be thankful that my major contribution to nursing is just to bare my chest these days (I can even have both arms by my sides!).

How on earth did you get that happening? Side lying is going (sorta*) fine for us but whenever I lay her on top she thinks it's tummy time...

* I say "sorta" because she's going through one of her wonder weeks (I think?) and gets really pissy about feeding now unless she's starving or the middle of the night feeds. The "don't wait until crying, feed when you see early hunger cues" thing I'm finding worked well last week and is B/S this week because those hunger cues are not reliable anymore. Now she's going from "I AM NOT HUNGRY GET THAT BOOB AWAY FROM ME GAAAAAAAH" to "I AM STARVING FEED ME RIGHT NOW OMG WHY IS THERE NO MILK IMMEDIATELY COMING FROM THIS BOOB WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH" in a split second. The constant latching then immediate unlatching after let down and wailing because she's too impatient is super grating on my nerves. Not to mention that she's decided that she will not feed anywhere but at home, and then at home she changes her mind constantly about where she wants to feed. I intellectually know there's an eventual light at the end of the tunnel but it sure feels like it will never end.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

elise the great posted:

HOW WILL I KEEP HIM FROM BEING MISERABLE AND POSSIBLY DEAD FROM MY INCOMPETENCE, THERE IS NO BOOK OR ARTICLE THAT CAN MAKE THIS OKAY

Feed him and cuddle him and when he gets old enough smile and laugh with him and have fun with him and that'll make babies the happiest things in the world

At least up through 9 months of age, my experience kind of ends there at the moment...

Roulette
Sep 17, 2006
I just want to thank you all for typing like actual human adults and not social media teenagers. I wish this thread was more active so I didn't have to engage in places that use acronyms like DD, DH, FH, etc. I made the mistake of asking people to type out their words and woo boy these moms sure got salty.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

I'm always shocked when I read some mommy group member post that she's a FTM. Every goddamn time I'm like "wow, I thought trans men who chose to give birth were really rare and it's really weird to see a guy like that describe himself as FTM instead of trans or just a guy" and then I'm like FIRST TIME MOM UUUGGGGHHH

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
A group I'm in which is for semi-hippies that are pro-vaccine had that discussion recently where we decided that FTP (first-time parent) was going to be preferred over FTM to avoid confusion and not co-op that term.
I just really don't think I'm a mom group person. At least person anyway, because I've made a lot of friends through this thread (and if anyone wants to add me to FB for online mom-friending, hmu!). I realized that at an in person group today that's facilitated by my hospital lactation consultant.

Is there even an SA moms group anymore? The link in the OP doesn't work

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 22, 2017

elise the great
May 1, 2012

I'm on Facebook and y'all are welcome to friend me (Elise Barrett, my profile pic is a caricature my friend drew) because I could use more non-ridiculous goon mom friends. Feel free to skip if you post a lot of image macros about how Jesus has a plan for dead babies and/or black people are the real racists, but otherwise if you're on SA you're probably not gonna be offended by all my posts about diarrhea and cats.

JustAurora
Apr 17, 2007

Nature vs. Nurture, man!
There is still an SA parents fb page. You have to be friends with someone to be added. You will be called out on your poo poo if you start being anti-vax, racist, sexist, other bad-ists, advocate dangerous practices, etc. But mostly everyone is chill.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Oh I thought for sure it was defunct. Can I get added to it? The one thing I love more than wasting time on the internet is wasting time on the internet A LOT.

I mean, what else are you going to do when a baby is suctioned onto your body for hours a day?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

JustAurora posted:

There is still an SA parents fb page. You have to be friends with someone to be added. You will be called out on your poo poo if you start being anti-vax, racist, sexist, other bad-ists, advocate dangerous practices, etc. But mostly everyone is chill.

Oh that's neat. I wonder if I already have someone on my list in it. I'm glad for the calling out. That same group o mentioned above has a similar rule where if you get banned for any of those things, the person that added you gets banned as well. Just for an added layer of accountability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Also we do not take kindly to hitting/spanking/smacking your kids.

You can go here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/455100177924727/

And join that group. That's the accessible group that new people can join and then request to get in the real group. The real group is "secret" based on facebook's security settings, so not searchable, so that group linked above is how you can find it. Join that group, make a post, ask to be added to the real group and provide your e-mail, and someone will let you in.

It sounds stupid, because it is to deal with facebook's group privacy settings.