Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

did they ever explain why we can put pokemon in computers

A rather pessimistic view one of my friends came up with during the Gen 2 days is that the storage system works more like the IRL games themselves. The pokeball, and by extension the storage system, just has a generic version of each pokemon ready to go, and when you capture or transfer one all it's transmitting is the experience, personality, and other uniqueness, and not the actual pokemon itself. Still doesn't explain away the flagrant violation of conservation of mass, but the science in a game for kids doesn't really need to be explored down to the femto-scale anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
Saw from this thread that Sage team released a new demo, so I gave a try. drat is this game fun. Then again, I stopped playing Pokemon by the 2nd gen where I power-leveled my mons to one-shot everything in the way so that may explain all the fun I'm having.

Here's my Fakemons. I am a giant dork

EDIT: I swore I attached my pic

theGrooseofLegend fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 15, 2017

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Zomborgon posted:

Interestingly, that gives Ash an unfair advantage to some degree. I'd guess that most independent trainers wouldn't have the space in their home for more than two or three pokemon in residence, so they wouldn't be able to keep as much of a type and move variety ready.

Not that anyone really uses type advantage properly in the show with any consistency, so it's no big deal.

Then again, perhaps the Daycare acts as the storage for non-sponsored trainers.

I figured since it seems implied trainers go to one of these Pokemon Professors that every trainer has some kind of Professor with vast land grants for Pokemon.
But this kind of stuff never really gets touched on much in the anime or anything, since no one seems to catch Pokemon nearly as much as you do in the games...

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

'ManGOAT'? Not a Smash fan, by any chance, are you?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
My fan theory back in the day was that the Pokemon Storage System is a pocket dimension, which contains the Mystery Dungeon games.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Assuming the in-game storage system doesn't involve large ranches like in the anime (or, given that teleportation is still involved, even if it does), the PCs could work like the transporters from Star Trek, except the patterns don't degrade over time. In fact, it may be similar to a previous poster's guess, and the storage system keeps constant patterns for each species, so that a given trainer only uses up space for the elements unique to their individual Pokemon. This would, of course, include personality, memories, and anything else essential to the Pokemon's identity. However, the teletransportation paradox applies, regardless. The only situation in which it might not is if the PC works exactly like Star Trek transporters*, which convert the subject's atoms into an energy pattern and reconstitute them exactly as they were at the destination (barring accidents, where anything goes), rather than making a replica (which is why they have limited range), and maintains the subject's original consciousness through :techno:.

Of course, given that Pokemon is still a video game series for children, I'm pretty sure that, no matter how the system works, the Pokemon you put in is the Pokemon you get out, including continuity of consciousness. But that's not as much fun to speculate about.

*Or Wonkavision.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

ungulateman posted:

My fan theory back in the day was that the Pokemon Storage System is a pocket dimension, which contains the Mystery Dungeon games.

I figured the pocket dimension led to My Pokemon Ranch, where my dudes could run around and be cared for by my freakish Miis.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013

Sorites posted:

'ManGOAT'? Not a Smash fan, by any chance, are you?

Yeah I'm one of those weird guys who likes competitive Melee, so that name was no brainer

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Fifth up to bat is Rosalind again. She thankfully cuts off the story of how she defeated sexism.

I can't help it, I love vs. splashes so much.

Rosalind is stuck with no items and level up moves too. Her team becomes things-around-venisi.txt.

None of them resist Electric.

Well, I guess Duplicat does when it drops a prankster Transform but it still loses half of its HP from a Thunder despite its double resist.

Yatagaryu was strangely prophetic of aggressive electric move spam, but ups the ante by having perfect accuracy thunders and an amazing base special attack.

I still should've brought Zapmander along, but Zapface is proving she's yet another mistake of game design.

Oh gently caress, it's him. It's Tiko.

Tiko is why I ever even heard of this game. It was over a year ago.

You see, Championship Tiko is the hardest opponent in the game, by far.

He still has his dumb fire ant lead.

It has one job: drop Sunny Day, then die. The sunny day lasts for 8 turns, and Tiko's team is really good at punishing you for letting that happen. Thankfully, the AI isn't that good at realizing it needs to do that, and it flamethrowers My Fursona instead.

Pajay is holding a choice scarf, putting its speed at too much. Air Slashes from that high can be a big pain if they flinch too much, and Solar Beam there can be a real mean trick to play. Thank gently caress the AI isn't smart enough to switch aggressively.

Electric weak :smug:

Tiko is the only opponent to use a starter against you.

And gently caress him for it! Two +2 priority attacks, and two high-power STAB physicals! Electruxo would stand little chance against a banded EQ!

And since it's working on priority, not even MEGAWEAPON can stop it!

Final form of Devimp, and literal demon from hell.

It's just a physical attacker with high-power STAB moves and an assvest. Easily the least obnoxious member of Tiko's team, but since it can cut straight through a Syrentide there isn't much that could stop this horseshit without blowing it up from a distance.

Ah. You.

The legendary Chimaconda from the first post is finally upon us. It's like I said then. It's stupidly fast, hits stupidly hard, and doubles its special attack each time it tries. Very, very little can handle that.

Outscarfed.

When I said it wasn't Tiko's most broken Pokemon, I was refering to this.

Every single thing wrong with Inflagetah is on display for the world to see. Swords Dance and the greatest priority move spam in the world. Why is U-Turn even there? It can U-Turn better than literally anything else but it's pointless when it needs to run from nothing.

Luckily Superfly barely hangs on and retaliates with a STAB Surf!

...It wasn't enough. Two things with choice scarves, including the overheat-spamming Chimaconda. A choice band thing with Flame Impact, and a Mega Inflagetah with Swords Dance. This is just so far above the rest of the championship in difficulty. It's ridiculous the amount of speed control Tiko has.

I'll need a different approach.

Due to the randomized nature of entrants, it'll take a bit before I get my revenge. Along the way I happen to get the exact two trainers I was missing.

It's amazing this game rolls nontiko lifeforms for the same slots as Tiko.

Cali continues to lack a personality.

And I'm shocked they didn't even edit the hairstyle.

Nothing on her team can really stop Superfly, so let's just go over them.

Tubareel has sky high defense, so an assvest for its special defense makes sense.

Brainoar is instantly obliterated in a single Thunderbolt.

Brainoar is the boringest set, but sometimes you just need a boring thing there.

Better that than whatever the hell Tiko was doing.

Oh snap!!

It's all offensive moves and a Focus Sash, with Corsoreef's unique ability Sharp Coral, that halves defenses but doubles offense. Corsoreef's bases are bad enough that this doesn't actually help it get anywhere normally.

It gets a crit on Power Gem to take out Superfly.

But that just leaves an opening for My Fursona to get a moxie boost before Mega Evolution.

I really like the tactical consideration of letting Moxie go before replacing it with Blood Lust.

Oh uh Cocancer has four powerful physical moves and a sitrus berry?

The +1 lets it 2HKO Escartress.

The AI isn't clever enough to use the non-damaging moves first. Having the thing with Steatlh Rock be in the back is a bit odd, I believe.

Cali gets a Gyarados since normally nothing in her team Mega Evolves.

This is like the Default Mega Gyarados.

Even though we can't get Crunch.

Drain Punch wins in a straight fight, by the way.

Davern continues to only really talk in terms of caves.

Seriously is that supposed to be a lovely mustache?

I think I rely on my set-up sweepers too much.

Not like this Tofu can do much about it. This set would be annoying at most times, but steel types just ruin its day.

Terlard has way too many entry hazards.

And that focus sash?

Ugh.

Oh drat now he has this frog??

It's pretty much the same as Cali's Brainoar.

Down to electric death.

Oh poo poo a Gliscor! I can't disrespect a Gliscor!

It's a Poison Heal motherfucker, too! See, the Toxic Orb poisons it, but the ability not only prevents the damage, but restores its HP. So it's immune to statuses by already having one, and it has extra toughness fro mthe passive healing.

Ugh, great.

Prankster Sableye, it uses priority Will-O-Wisp. Well, it would if it didn't try to Knock Off and get yelled at for its troubles.

Oh, Tofurang showed back up and also got yelled at.

Row row, fight the [copyright laws]!

Mega Drilgann has 184 base attack and nothing else going for it. It can kill God with that Earthquake, though.

x4 Nuclear weakness.

Don't think I forgot you, Tiko!

It's just... absurd. Davern and Cali have tricks, yeah, but they aren't just waving their arms and shouting about the game design mistakes they're highlighting. Tiko has team members centered around them. How did the devs design that Chimaconda or put in a Mega Inflagetah and not realize, hey, these are kinda busted! Did all the playtesters inexplicably run toxicstall Corsoreefs?

Or, maybe, like me, they realized that Mega Inflagetah is disgustingly overpowered.

Swords Dance is part of the puzzle.

The other part is letting Firoke drop Sunny Day for me.

Mega Inflagetah's Flame Impact is the most busted thing in the game. Swords Dance counteracts the fire resistance, so I just have sun-boosted Flame Impacts. Since this is Rocket Man, it's instantly lethal.

Beliaddon is sent back to hell by a +2 Earthquake. No reason to take chances.

Especially when I gently caress up and run into Pajay's Flash Fire.

Rock Slide solves it well enough. Rocket Man is so disgustingly fast that it still hits first even past the Choice Scarf.

This entire scheme is building up to this moment: OHKOing the Chimaconda without letting it get off even one Overheat. I was on a timer, albiet a generous one, to get a sun-boosted Flame Impact and destroy it instantly.

You'd think the mirror match would be scary, but...

The AI made a fatal mistake and didn't windmill-slam the flame impact button.

Mega Inflagetah's Flame Impact defeats everything. Including a Mega Inflagetah not using Flame Impact.

Including the toughest opponent in the game.

Next time: AW YEAH THE FINAL MATCH

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Tiko. Motherfucking Tiko. This is the hardest, most busted fight in the entire game. And he shows up *randomly*. If he shows up, and you cannot deal with his bullshit, he'll send you back to the beginning of this entire championship.

In TieTuesday's run (linked in the OP), he had been *extensively* cheating at this point. All of his poo poo is basically at max level, and he's got a busted-rear end team (though no Inflagetah). Then Tiko happens, and thanks to that damage bug where pokemon were taking more damage for holding items, Tie was just getting completely destroyed. With a level 99 team (or close enough) that should easily be able to handle this team in a normal game. Even while cheating, Tiko is loving bullshit.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

It's kind of sad that the only way to fairly deal with something this absurd is to use the exact same Pokemon with the exact same strategy.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Super Jay Mann posted:

It's kind of sad that the only way to fairly deal with something this absurd is to use the exact same Pokemon with the exact same strategy.

so basically uranium's pokedex has an atomic bomb metaphor in there and it's not even a nuclear type

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Brother Entropy posted:

so basically uranium's pokedex has an atomic bomb metaphor in there and it's not even a nuclear type
No, because Mega Inflagetah being a nuke metaphor would imply deliberate, intentional application of the game's theme in a way that isn't beating you over the head with the Symbolism Stick, and we all know the game's writers and designers did not put that much effort into this game.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

No, because Mega Inflagetah being a nuke metaphor would imply deliberate, intentional application of the game's theme in a way that isn't beating you over the head with the Symbolism Stick, and we all know the game's writers and designers did not put that much effort into this game.

metaphors don't have to be intentional

death of the author bitch

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Mega Rocket Man proved to be the one true Mega Rocket Man.

Random opponents this hard is just silly, especially since all of the BS seems concentrated in Tiko's team.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Especially when a whole bunch of the random trainers have pokemon with no hold items and the default level-up movepools

:psyduck:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The other trainers probably would have gotten patched to be just as ludicrous if Nintendo hadn't told the Uranium team to knock it off

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nihilarian posted:

The other trainers probably would have gotten patched to be just as ludicrous if Nintendo hadn't told the Uranium team to knock it off

For the first time Nintendo's violent hostility towards fangames is a good thing.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Shoulda left him in anthell

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Nihilarian posted:

It's not good that, in the 1.0 release version, some of the elite four are fully specced, with one on an entirely different level of difficulty for unclear reasons, and the rest are little more than concept sketches.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Honestly when I saw that Inflagetah, that was when I realized what the game was going to pull. Him Mega Evolving it is just loving icing on the cake.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

And I'm not caught up..Holy crap, this game is bad. Also. Why is the BACKGROUND UI THE HP GAUGE? And that Hippo Pokemon? That's an edited Hippowdon. I just downloaded Sage, on prompts form here, and hoping it's better than this.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Silegna posted:

And I'm not caught up..Holy crap, this game is bad. Also. Why is the BACKGROUND UI THE HP GAUGE? And that Hippo Pokemon? That's an edited Hippowdon. I just downloaded Sage, on prompts form here, and hoping it's better than this.

Sage is better in that while it's from /vp/, 4chan's Pokemon board, they don't load it with memes like Clover and because it's from /vp/, it's made by people who understand game mechanics.

I'm watching someone stream Clover and there's some really bad (read: offensive) jokes mixed in with some good ones. The "lightyears away from Brock" one is good, but then there's the second gym path being in the shape of the transgender symbol as a dig at tumblr. Those are just minor examples.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Silegna posted:

It actually feels like a Pokemon game. Which is to say that it's far better than Uranium. It also includes a run button toggle. Seriously, why didn't Game Freak bring that feature back? :argh:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

It actually feels like a Pokemon game. Which is to say that it's far better than Uranium. It also includes a run button toggle. Seriously, why didn't Game Freak bring that feature back? :argh:

Because riding on Tauros is faster.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Oh hey, now I can post the infrographic that introduced me to this game! I think it was a result of TieTuesday's excruciating attempt at playing through.

This was literally all I knew about Pokemon Uranium going in. Even after seeing the smoldering ashes of game design leading up to it, it remains the crown jewel of The Worst Decision In This Game.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 22, 2017

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
why Tiko of all people I wonder
and I laugh at the idea of the creators thinking people could fight this with fair leveling

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

DeafNote posted:

why Tiko of all people I wonder
and I laugh at the idea of the creators thinking people could fight this with fair leveling

well he's the fire guy and the biggest bullshit they put together also happened to be fire

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Manatee Cannon posted:

well he's the fire guy and the biggest bullshit they put together also happened to be fire

That doesn't explain the ridiculous number of Choice Scarves on his Pokemon, though. I think whoever designed that fight must have just been feeling spiteful that day. The clearly unfinished nature of this part of the game could also explain why it's so ridiculous - there was probably very little or no testing for the fight itself because there just wasn't enough time.

StupendousMan
Feb 28, 2016
I had the misfortune of drawing Tiko in my Elite 4 when I played Uranium. Although by that point, I was pretty used to the game's brutality. I think I snuck past him mostly with a scarfed Nucleon, a Blubelrog (Surf/Ice Beam/Sludge Wave/Toxic is a solid moveset), and a Yatagaryu as backup. No one else on my team really could put up a fight against Tiko.

ALSO: Uranium has been updated very recently! Let's look at some of the changes:

Patch Version 1.2.1 posted:

New Randomizer Mode: In it, your starter and all wild and trainer encounters will be replaced by completely random Pokémon, for a wacky and challenging game-changing experience. Unlocked after completing the game at least once. (Load a completed save once to register this achievement)

Nuzlocke Mode has been replaced by Custom Mode, where you can select the exact settings you want for a harder/different Pokémon Uranium experience including the new Randomizer Mode.

Added "Old School Poison" option to custom games, that will allow poison to faint a Pokémon outside of battle like in older-gen games.

Poison is now super-effective against Nuclear.

Orchynx now starts the game with Leech Seed instead of learning it at level 7.

Fixed Conversion 2 not working at all. (We fear this will raise Nucleon's power level even further over 9000 resulting in the destruction of this plane of existence.)

Removed a few thousand lines of unused code.

:confuoot:

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
If he was a boss you had to seek out rather than a random chance to get stomped, I would have zero issue with it. As it is, he's just WarMECH - a small chance for most parties to get stomped and go, "what the heck was that?"

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

StupendousMan posted:

ALSO: Uranium has been updated very recently! Let's look at some of the changes:
The next step is to remove a few thousand lines of used code

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

gbuchold posted:

The next step is to remove a few thousand lines of used code

It's said that there's at least one unnecessary line of code in every program, and that every program has at least one bug; as a corollary, you can reduce every program to 1 line that does not work.

It is however rare that this would actually be considered an improvement over doing nothing.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Oh hey they made the grass starter suck SLIGHTLY Less.

(Still doesn't have an actual STAB attack until later though)

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

They put an "over 9000" joke in their patch notes, because of course they did.

raisamike3
Oct 13, 2012
Why would they have Orchynx know Leech Seed instead of an actual attack move?
Like Absorb exists for a reason them not using it just seems silly.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Did they introduce some kind of fire-weakness grass-type buffing weather ability and give it to Mega metallynx? Cause otherwise it's still got a 4x weakness to fire compared to mega archeoptarywhatever having loving drought.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Ah, so the threat of legal action wasn't enough to stop them from working on the game. My mistake.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

quote:

New Randomizer Mode: In it, your starter and all wild and trainer encounters will be replaced by completely random Pokémon, for a wacky and challenging game-changing experience. Unlocked after completing the game at least once. (Load a completed save once to register this achievement)

This was realy stupid and bad when Game Freak did it and it's just as stupid and bad here. In fact, it may be even worse, because at least Game Freak had no past data to say if it'd be a good idea or not (as much as common sense alone screams "no, it's not a good idea to force the player to restart in a game with a single save slot and several things they need to keep for the next game, all so they can play in another difficulty mode") while the Uranium devs must know how people felt about that in Black 2/White 2.

This is such a stupid decision. Why? I could maybe understand it in Reborn, which hates the player and gives them very few choices that barely work in the context of the game proper so a randomizer would significantly ruin the developers' lovely attempts at difficulty and greatly change the terrible experience, but here it's just bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

someone awful. posted:

They put an "over 9000" joke in their patch notes, because of course they did.

You know there was a period there were the over 9000 meme had become so old and lame it became funny again. Then that period passed.

• Locked thread