Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Time for Monty python

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

e: nvm

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 22, 2017

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

TyroneGoldstein posted:

This speech is nonsense but hes really effective at delivering it. If he stays fully on script this could be a dangerous turning point.

The next 6 months are crucial

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Trump is not a man who pulls out. He'll stay in there until the climax of his incursion.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Wait, so Pakistan is going to become a territory? That's whole "economic development to defray costs" sounded suspicious as gently caress.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Giggy posted:

Forever war with honor.

Pretty much. Scratch another campaign promise.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

TyroneGoldstein posted:

This speech is nonsense but hes really effective at delivering it. If he stays fully on script this could be a dangerous turning point.

lol it was boring and Trump will probably defend Nazis again tomorrow.

edit - once the Xanax wears off that is.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Solkanar512 posted:

Wait, so Pakistan is going to become a territory? That's whole "economic development to defray costs" sounded suspicious as gently caress.

:ughh: :ughh:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
So the new strategy is basically:

-Forever war
-Pakistan, India, and Afghanistan are going to pay for it

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TyroneGoldstein posted:

The Pivot, at last, we finally made--on no he pardoned Joe Arpaio, welp, maybe next time.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Historically, this has not been the case. Whenever Trump starts to pivot or turn things around, he actually does a full pirouette and falls flat on his face.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Covok posted:

Is pro-India good or bad?
Its an insanely complicated question when you consider how big a change this would be to American fopo for the last thirty or forty years. the US tried to gunboat diplomacy India as recently as 1971 before the Russians intervened with their then functional Navy.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Well, it would not surprise me at all if he actually wishes he was addressed as Emperor Trump.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

BlueberryCanary posted:

Historically, this has not been the case. Whenever Trump starts to pivot or turn things around, he actually does a full pirouette and falls flat on his face.

Yeah, he has the Arizona rally tomorrow. He'll get good ~*we love war*~ press for the next 12 hours and then blow it up at the rally.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Why was Trump clapping?

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
After successfully defeating North Korea, Trump moves on to his next target with guaranteed precision.

Red posted:

Why was Trump clapping?

Someone has to.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Covok posted:

Modi is a slavering maniac so in that sense bad

Grapplejack posted:

I'm like 80% sure Pakistan doesn't have ICBMs, only short range missiles (because their only target is India).

They can hit Israel at least, people flipped out about that like two years ago

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Red posted:

Why was Trump clapping?

He always does that after he does a public speech

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

cargo cult posted:

Its an insanely complicated question when you consider how big a change this would be to American fopo for the last thirty or forty years

A nuclear superpower taking public sides in a nuclear warfare game is just that.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

trump mentioned that "the military was not a solution" but i didnt hear much discussion about how the united states would solve the country's underlying political problems

also not a lot of discussion about the long-term commitments that a troop surge and "condition based withdrawal" would entail. that's going to be a bitter pill to swallow.

removing the trumpism, the idea of negotiating with the taliban and pakistan is fine in theory. need more specifics to really evaluate.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Pellisworth posted:

Okay so let me summarize the content of this speech:

-We're not going to set any timelines or tell you what we're doing in these wars, withdrawal will be based on conditions on the ground. So, forever war!
-Pakistan is harboring terrorists and is naughty.
-We're going to keep loving things up in South Asia. Afghanistan, Pakistan, and India are going to pay for it.

The idea to deal with the Taliban and trying to deal with Pakistan is smart if it can be pulled off. Pakistan in particular is a huge problem because Islamic terror groups migrate between Afghanistan and Northwest Pakistan. It's been one of the serious problems with drone strikes as the Obama administration was continually drone striking people in a sovereign country even though they never had full control over that portion of their country.

Pretty sure Breitbart is going to rake him over the coals though. They want an isolationist policy in regard to flexing military power. Also he's going to have to sell to the right wing about possibly working with the Taliban and giving them a seat at the table.

It sounds like the general have been getting their hooks into him. However it's a forever war until we pacify the whole of the country. The GWB administration never had an exit strategy for Afghanistan and here we are fifteen years later still there.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Did trump just become president with that speech

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Any chance of good will will be undone tomorrow when he pardons this creature

Trump is going to pardon this guy

quote:

The guided tour of Arpaio's legend has officially begun. Here, next to his desk, is the hand-painted sign of draconian rules for Tent City, the infamous jail he set up 20 years ago, in which some 2,000 inmates live under canvas tarps in the desert, forced to wear pink underwear beneath their black-and-white-striped uniforms while cracking rocks in the stifling heat. HARD LABOR, the sign reads. NO GIRLIE MAGAZINES!
-
In Arpaio’s jails, “female Latino LEP prisoners have been denied basic sanitary items. In some instances, female Latino LEP prisoners have been forced to remain with sheets or pants soiled from menstruation because of MCSO’s failure to ensure that detention officers provide language assistance in such circumstances.”
-
Arizona is housing prisoners in a tent city and it’s 117 degrees

Jail officials also said that inmates could purchase sunblock from the facility’s vending machine.
-
He likened Tent City to concentration camps

https://youtu.be/D7reZOp2Qco

When asked about the comment by the Guardian in July, Arpaio brushed it off as a joke. “But even if it was a concentration camp, what difference does it make? I still survived. I still kept getting re-elected,” he said.

-
I buy a thermometer gadget to prove to the media that I'm not lying," he explained. "There's a trick. If you push that [thermometer] up higher ... you pick up 20 degrees."

Most notably, Arpaio makes inmates wear pink underwear, what he sees as his lifelong achievement.

Once you’re gone, you’re dead and buried,” Arpaio reflected. “Me, I give them 48 hours to remember me, and they’re going to do it because of the pink underwear.”
-
Arpaio allows the television in the cafeteria to only play ESPN2, the Food Channel (“so they can see the good food they’re missing on the outside,” Jones said) and the Weather Channel (“Joe wants them to see how hot it’s going to be”).

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

BlueberryCanary posted:

I know we're all expecting this, but the big question is what happens if he doesn't. We're so used to him loving up constantly that we assume it, but what if jettisoning Bannon really was the key to calming the entire gameshow. I'm not in panic mode, per se, I'm just trying to think about the angles. I mean, the most dangerous loving thing is if his poo poo addled brain really does properly lock on to subtlety.

And that's not even beginning to touch the crazy shifts in how we approach geopolitics that he just tabled.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Red posted:

Why was Trump clapping?

He is a toddler brained Alzheimer's man who loves to clap and sing and dance to catchy music. See: him loudly bellowing the national anthem at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier when normal people remain respectfully silent.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I didn't watch the speech, did he mention India and China's aggression towards each other?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Lightning Lord posted:

I didn't watch the speech, did he mention India and China's aggression towards each other?

Not a word.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Paul Ryan townhall starting now

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Don't be loving lovely, I meant territory loosely, as in "a place where private contractors are going to get sweet loving deals" not literally.

Christ dude.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Lightning Lord posted:

there was a mention of tensions between india and pakistan, but i don't recall china being mentioned

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010
I remember reading something - maybe a bullshit lie - that India wanted to send troops into Afghanistan but Bush refused cause of Pakistan.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Man Travels Up His Own rear end, one night only on CNN.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

What the gently caress is this use of word treasure

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
Today, in three parts.
Chapter one: defiance
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/08/21/us/politics/trump-eclipse.html?referer=https://t.co/PSgkb7a6uU?amp=1
Chapter two: Parody
https://twitter.com/tamiappleseed/status/899778269590953985
Chapter 3: Reality.
https://news.grabien.com/story-tucker-carlson-trump-looking-eclipse-perhaps-most-impressive

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Covok posted:

Bad because I absolutely, positively do not want us throwing Sri Lankan interests under the bus because it is a dinky rear end country the population of Florida that isn't terribly important in any non geographical convenience senses and to make India happy

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

TyroneGoldstein posted:

I know we're all expecting this, but the big question is what happens if he doesn't. We're so used to him loving up constantly that we assume it, but what if jettisoning Bannon really was the key to calming the entire gameshow. I'm not in panic mode, per se, I'm just trying to think about the angles. I mean, the most dangerous loving thing is if his poo poo addled brain really does properly lock on to subtlety.

And that's not even beginning to touch the crazy shifts in how we approach geopolitics that he just tabled.

You are acting stupid.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
oh nice, Afghanistan vet asking Ryan about withdrawal conditions from Afghanistan

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

TyroneGoldstein posted:

I know we're all expecting this, but the big question is what happens if he doesn't. We're so used to him loving up constantly that we assume it, but what if jettisoning Bannon really was the key to calming the entire gameshow.

his campaign started with mexicans are rapists and mocking the handicapped before bannon even joined the campaign. he'll continue to be an empty-headed jackass after. stop it.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This guy is not buying Trump speech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted: