Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Ariong posted:

As I recall, if there's anything unique about Neverwinter in TAZ other than it being The Big City, it's never mentioned. They could just change the name.

Phandalin is a thing in the Neverwinter world so they probably can't use that, which I think would be the biggest adjustment since it's just constantly coming up in TAZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
pretty sure Clint already said he had new names for all the pre-existing towns and characters like klarg

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
"Thanks, Nick!"
"Yeah, thanks, Nick."

Attention Nicks: Please stop contacting McElroy properties for the near future.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've avoided this thread till I managed to listen to the finale today.

I got to meet Travis and GenCon but he was a little pressed for time and I got there late, almost missing him.

That finale was good; I do prefer the second finale episode due to all the badassery that happens, though.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
welcome to beautiful Warmtown!

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Bogart posted:

welcome to beautiful Warmtown!

I was literally about to make this same joke so now I'm gonna go with "Sweat City"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also I finally refound the greatest Final Yahoo today, so here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbxqaid1EcI

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Waffleman_ posted:

Pro loving click.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I just went back to listen to Magnus and Julia's reunion and paid attention to Travis's performance, and now i'm crying again.
I hope I never stop crying when I hear it.
I hope I never get so dried-up and crusty and tired that it doesn't work for me anymore.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 22, 2017

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm excited for Griffin to actually switch things up and play a character during the next arc, but I hope whoever's DMing can figure out how to stop him from meta-gaming.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Ahaha I don't remember that one. Real good.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

change my name posted:

I'm excited for Griffin to actually switch things up and play a character during the next arc, but I hope whoever's DMing can figure out how to stop him from meta-gaming.

Yeah. In TAZ Nights, he does well keeping up the roleplaying. But when combat or puzzles started, he seemed focused on playing 'the right way' rather than having fun with it the way the others seem to.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That's why I'm hoping the next long adventure is Clint's. I mean I know he likes video games, but not to the extent his boys do so he'd probably be less likely to include as many video game set pieces as Griffin does.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

change my name posted:

I'm afraid he's going to step over the other players to get out a joke. He does it a lot in MBMBAM and it's not an issue because it's his brand but that makes for a lovely RPG player.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

"What do you think"
"Did you make this?"
"Yeah dummy, no, the DOGS made it."

Rachel is in the room and laughs audibly at that joke, and that is very sweet.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Inzombiac posted:

I'm afraid he's going to step over the other players to get out a joke. He does it a lot in MBMBAM and it's not an issue because it's his brand but that makes for a lovely RPG player.

Tom collins was pretty subdued. Weirdly so, even.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Boy howdy that latest mbmbam was.... Something.

That bit was just the worst. I think they knew it was loving poison but couldn't find a graceful way to kill it.

E: because Travis loves sad libs, I blame every weird bit on him.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 22, 2017

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013
Is this the first time the brothers have been even a little bit political on MBMBAM? I was really surprised by the Bannon joke, because they seem to take such pains to steer clear of of real world stuff even as it sometimes lingers over the episode.

(obviously gently caress Steve Bannon with a dead dog's dick)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yeah I was surprised by that too. However, they probably get super political all the time on Dark MBMBaM.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

heckyeahpathy posted:

Is this the first time the brothers have been even a little bit political on MBMBAM? I was really surprised by the Bannon joke, because they seem to take such pains to steer clear of of real world stuff even as it sometimes lingers over the episode.

(obviously gently caress Steve Bannon with a dead dog's dick)

I've wonky worked through like half their backlog but yeah they take pretty good care to avoid political poo poo aside from doing the onion version of Joe Biden goofs and the Barack Hussein Obama (a lot of people forget the Hussein).

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Wasabi the J posted:

I've wonky worked through like half their backlog but yeah they take pretty good care to avoid political poo poo aside from doing the onion version of Joe Biden goofs and the Barack Hussein Obama (a lot of people forget the Hussein).

(And I think that's important)

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

God I loved this bit when it first came out.

1. LEAVE SCHOOL
2. BE A ZOOKEEPER

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
and then the camera pans up

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They explicitly asked people to vote for Hillary Clinton in the episode before the election

Serf
May 5, 2011

I loved the Dark MBMBAM bit in the latest episode. The bit itself wasn't that funny, but their constant self-corrections were great. That might have been the best Blue Apron ad they've ever done just for Justin's attempt to make up food names.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Someone on Twitter please tell the boys I have an idea for a podcast sequel to The McElroy Brothers Will Be In Trolls 2, and its called "Inside Out 2 Will Be In The McElroy Brothers"

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

"Daniel, why aren't you out slingin' pizzas?"

"I SHOT A KID."

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Between Jeffandrew, the Judges, the Hunger, the Planes, the Voidfishes, the Light of Creation. I kind of wish overall the whole saga stuck to just one or two heady concepts instead of a bunch of them. I never listened to any TAZZ so I'll probably go back to those and this upcoming one but I'm not holding my breath that this stuff is gonna get explained.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think Jeffandrew was mostly just a fun talking to the DM moment.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

Dork457 posted:

Between Jeffandrew, the Judges, the Hunger, the Planes, the Voidfishes, the Light of Creation. I kind of wish overall the whole saga stuck to just one or two heady concepts instead of a bunch of them. I never listened to any TAZZ so I'll probably go back to those and this upcoming one but I'm not holding my breath that this stuff is gonna get explained.

Barring Jeffandrew, I think Griffin introduced all these concepts in order to have stuff he can reference for live show eps, which would be all based around THB

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Jeff Andrew's real name was Griffin McElroy.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

I figured Jeffandrew was just that, but it was just another one of those "oh jeez we're gonna get yet another pullback of the universe explanation right after we just finished resolving everything?" moments. I was just spent on imagining discs orbiting one another and threads and lights and balls on cliffs.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Dork457 posted:

I agree that a final TTAZZ probably won't address all concerns, but it's still probably good to wait. I would agree that the last two arcs (Stolen Century and Story & Song) should have pumped the brakes a bit more than they did when introducing new elements, themes and characters when the end is already supposedly in sight.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I didn't really think too much about Jeffandrew. To my mind he (they? it?) is just a way to make it clear that all the planes that got eaten by the Hunger are not dead, and they're going to go back to their proper place.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Here's the thing about JeffAndrew, leaving aside establishing potential connective tissue to other campaigns and maybe a wisecrack or two: lose that scene and nothing of value is lost at all dramatically. There are no real answers, except to establish that no real answers are forthcoming.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

If that scene hadn't been in there, I would have assumed that all of the planes that Hunger had consumed were destroyed along with it, and that would have bummed me out. So that's what value the scene held for me.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Ariong posted:

If that scene hadn't been in there, I would have assumed that all of the planes that Hunger had consumed were destroyed along with it, and that would have bummed me out. So that's what value the scene held for me.

What about during the chess game with John when he showed Merle that killing the knight caused all the swallowed pieces to get spit back out?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Ariong posted:

Fair enough, but that could have also been addressed in the same amount of depth (approx. two sentences) by John on the beach, either in conversation or visually.

E: ^^^^ yeah Serf has a great point.

I'm not saying the JeffAndrew scene can't be done well, but I didn't feel it was worth the time, as evasive/vague as it was.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Serf posted:

What about during the chess game with John when he showed Merle that killing the knight caused all the swallowed pieces to get spit back out?

Oh yeah, I forgot about that part. It's still nice to have confirmation.

Kenny Logins posted:

Fair enough, but that could have also been addressed in the same amount of depth (approx. two sentences) by John on the beach, either in conversation or visually.

I'm not saying the JeffAndrew scene can't be done well, but I didn't feel it was worth the time, as evasive/vague as it was.

I'm sure it could have been done better, and I agree that it wasn't the best scene. I don't want anyone thinking that I'm the world's number one JeffAndrew fan or anything. But, I don't understand what you mean by evasive/vague. JeffAndrew explicitly stated what he is and what he is doing. What's left unsaid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

I'm pretty sure that even Clint didn't understand the point of the final chess game so Griffin probably wanted to really spell it out for everyone listening.