Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
I've always kinda had a talent for drawing growing up, but haven't really done anything in years because I grew up into a perfectionist and usually got frustrated that I couldn't satisfactorily translate the visions that I have in my head onto paper, and more or less got in the habit of constantly saying 'gently caress it' and walking away. I've recently settled on the dream that I want to get back into it, do it more prolifically and consistently, and develop a personal style that I'm happy with. Basically I've come to the conclusion that the best way to do that is to just out-stubborn myself and force myself to draw constantly, as I'm not really going to get any closer to the goal by sitting around looking at stuff that I like and wishing that I could magically someday be that good.

So here's a building. After starting with the middle part, I figured I should probably step back and not worry about trying to make it all fancy with varying line weights, which I think based on how much better the sides look was probably a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

William T. Hornaday posted:

Basically I've come to the conclusion that the best way to do that is to just out-stubborn myself and force myself to draw constantly, as I'm not really going to get any closer to the goal by sitting around looking at stuff that I like and wishing that I could magically someday be that good.

More or less, yeah. It's frustrating when you have perfectionist tendencies, because you're unfairly expecting so much from yourself, especially the case if people constantly tell you that you've got a talent or a knack for it. The truth is that everyone starts at a relative baseline and, whether through accident or happenstance, may figure out certain aspects of formal drawing on their own, but the only way you really become good at art is through constant practice, self-analysis, and a willingness to experiment, even if it's completely out of your depth. Let me publicly embarrass myself to prove a point on this:

This is one of the first attempts at a human portrait I ever did, roughly two years ago. Looks like loving garbage, right? But I was really proud of it at the time, and I still am. I had no clue what I was doing beyond some vague notions of the Loomis technique, but I absolutely tried my heart out. The fact that it looks really, really bad isn't the point: it's that I made the attempt and, consequently, understood after what my weaknesses were. Pushing past that initial barrier of, "But what if it doesn't look good?" is one of the most important things you can do in your art education, because it teaches you that making something that looks good isn't what you should be aiming for. Rather, you should be aiming to subtly improve on each drawing you make, and if you're carefully analyzing your work and looking up resources and tips from other artists, this will come naturally.

This is the same portrait with two years of practice backing it up. Anyone can learn how to make appealing art. Don't be frightened or intimidated by the learning process. Draw outside of your comfort zone and treat it like a puzzle to be solved - figure out what you need to learn to make it look like you've imagined it. Save and date every drawing you make, no matter how wretched it might look at the time, because you'll be able to look back on it a year or two down the road and see, in a very tangible way, how far you've come, and how far you can still go.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Lol ionno

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Went back and worked on that old sketch again.

I sometimes wonder how much 2d concept work is necessary before just jumping into 3d. Like... am I just reworking the 2d stuff when I know I should be spending time just doing it right in 3d?

When does prototyping become procrastinating?

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 17, 2017

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Ho hum.
Two new stuff(Xpost from trad):
Watercolor is fun, it looks great and I love it now.

Not pleased with result but OK.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
The Gothest Rose

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Random art exercise #468
Interpret the graffiti in the bathroom stall.

I think I made Woam's "antichrist teddybear angel" into a rabid gorilla... and his halo is too big. drat.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Drawing frogs looked like fun so I had to draw a frog, too.
She came out a bit .. judgemental.

"You done hosed it up"

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Who is SHE :swoon:

Here are a pile of life drawings from the past couple weeks

People on the bus:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/Rp6yVkm.jpg[/timg]

Historical Reenactors:

Bears (from photos or just doodles)

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Drawing frogs looked like fun so I had to draw a frog, too.
She came out a bit .. judgemental.

"You done hosed it up"

haha awesome I love it.
"I'll have your money by tomorrow I swear, frogwina"

It is fun actually to draw cartoon anthropomorphic animals. Very relaxing.

Here's one from last night. I remembered I have this watercolor sketchbook and I figured I'd try to improve my watercolor technique.
As I draw I imagine myself to be like one of those victorian era ladies drawing kittens having tea.

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.
Based on a yearbook pic I found online. Hope it didn't turn out too :unsmigghh:

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jake Snake posted:

Based on a yearbook pic I found online. Hope it didn't turn out too :unsmigghh:

Looks pretty good! The base of the neck's difficult to distinguish, but I know from experience how tough it is to define the sternocladiomastoid without making it look weird.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Jake Snake posted:

Hope it didn't turn out too :unsmigghh:
Well it's a yearbook photo. There's only so much you can do in that respect :haw:

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Based on a mugshot, still looks less like a serial killer than anyone in a yearbook photo

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Can you guess what anime ive been watchin

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 20, 2017

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
hey ddt i actually would like some advice

this is what im working on rn

the middle range of the picture is going to have fighters zipping in out, laser blasts etc.

the question is, should i put more detail into the forested hills? or would that make the whole composition muddy? how about the buildings?

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

I'm a bit late but I love all of the bears and especially this one because of the sheer glee on dat face :3:

You can add detail to the hills (though I don't think it's necessary) if you make it subtle, choose a colour near the base colour and it won't pop out too much.
For the buildings, in this style of pixelwork I'd expect to see blinky lights at the building antennas at least, or windows or futuristic side-to-side lightfades. They're pretty dark and they draw the eyes to them, so you need some definition there even if you don't wanna do future techno partylights.

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.

Vermain posted:

Looks pretty good! The base of the neck's difficult to distinguish, but I know from experience how tough it is to define the sternocladiomastoid without making it look weird.

Thanks! Yeah it was hard to figure out what was going on based on the photo. Maybe I made the shadows too prominent.

a hole-y ghost posted:

Well it's a yearbook photo. There's only so much you can do in that respect :haw:

As long as it isn't "Van Camp's Pork Beans Kid"-level of terrifying I'm okay with it.

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Based on a mugshot, still looks less like a serial killer than anyone in a yearbook photo

I like the different colored area around the eyes. Looks like he's wearing a mask for his mugshot.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Weird West undead hunter.
Doing more watercolor practice.
Watercolors are cool I should really just go over some basic techniques resources but too lazy somehow to make less work for myself. Did you know you can lift pigment while it's wet with some tissue and make highlights?

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Hellbeard posted:

Weird West undead hunter.
Doing more watercolor practice.
Watercolors are cool I should really just go over some basic techniques resources but too lazy somehow to make less work for myself. Did you know you can lift pigment while it's wet with some tissue and make highlights?

I'm glad you found watercolors, this is really great stuff! Honestly with your style I'd have assumed you already knew how to use them.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

a hole-y ghost posted:

I'm glad you found watercolors, this is really great stuff! Honestly with your style I'd have assumed you already knew how to use them.

Ha, thanks!
You know I thought about it and the way the medium lends itself to successive transparent layers really reminded me of how I work digitally.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Sharpest Crayon posted:

You can add detail to the hills (though I don't think it's necessary) if you make it subtle, choose a colour near the base colour and it won't pop out too much.
For the buildings, in this style of pixelwork I'd expect to see blinky lights at the building antennas at least, or windows or futuristic side-to-side lightfades. They're pretty dark and they draw the eyes to them, so you need some definition there even if you don't wanna do future techno partylights.

thanks for the advice. the buildings still need more work (also the power lines def but its closer to what i want now)

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Work scribble

(e: forgot to timg)

Theokotos fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 23, 2017

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Ferret.

IIIIN SPAAAAACE

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Theokotos posted:

Work scribble

I like your weary long face man

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

I've decided that I need to do more better cute things and it might help my marketability.

Here's a kitty cat.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
This was supposed to be a fat, happy cow with a unicorn horn and then that didn't happen because it looked like a bear and it just went downhill from there.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Sharpest Crayon posted:

This was supposed to be a fat, happy cow with a unicorn horn and then that didn't happen because it looked like a bear and it just went downhill from there.

This looks like it's from the same planet as Alf.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Life drawing. 10min.

Also back to work on that mural.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 22, 2017

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
A local art collective is doing a bird themed show next month, I submitted my parrot from earlier and this

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Practicing drawing light on a sphere.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
I don't like how pixel-y everything ends up looking photoshop, but I'm at least forcing myself to practice with it and my new tablet, seeing how much of my traditional art habits I can transition to a digital workflow.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
I drew a tomato pincushion.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Oh no, that pin cushion has the plague! :ohdear:

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Markers weren't going well last night, so I stuck with the iPad.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Theokotos posted:

I don't like how pixel-y everything ends up looking photoshop

Pick a hella big canvas and a brush size loads bigger than what you're using. For maximum softness, choose a brush with a soft edge. No more pixels, walla!

That godawfully ugly fleshthing I posted last? It's now the single most popular thing I've posted on Tumblr :cripes:

I got a request for a button quail and they're tiny angries which is adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Re: Perfectionism, something I'm learning to apply to life in general (and trying to with drawing) is not to overcome the fear and depression, but to accept that it's just going to be there regardless of what I do (and if I do nothing with my life I'll feel a whole other kind of fear and depression), much like fatigue and discomfort when you exercise, and if you don't exercise then you'll just feel lethargic and weak instead. Once you understand that you can learn to start treating it as a constant weight that you can learn to carry with you, rather than an obstacle that blocks your path and has to be tackled head on before you can make any progress.

Case in point, today I'm travelling so I'm facing my fear of drawing in public, drawing in general and my lack of experience of sketching from life head on:

It's a start, but holy hell are British trains tough to draw on. They are not exactly a smooth ride.

• Locked thread