Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Manuel Calavera posted:

An open offer to say, the first 20 people or so.
Send me a Kmail to LucaShoal (#872474), and I'll send you some sweet sweet meat. Assuming you're new and need it. If you're not poor, then you'll get something divine at least.

Hey, after playing through WoL I got an itch to play this again. Have to play from scratch though, old account is deader than dead.
Sending a message hoping I can get in on this (Name: Tormentini)
Thanks in advance.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nice

And you have meat, tiny baby goonling!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
West of Loathing just got a nice writeup in, of all places, the AV Club: http://www.avclub.com/live/stick-figure-western-one-funniest-games-ages-259554

Bidulz
Jul 1, 2006
ö

Manuel Calavera posted:

An open offer to say, the first 20 people or so.
Send me a Kmail to LucaShoal (#872474), and I'll send you some sweet sweet meat. Assuming you're new and need it. If you're not poor, then you'll get something divine at least.

I started playing again not too long ago and sent you a mail as Bidulz #3002539.

I also requested an invite to the clan under the same name. It's been ten years or so since I thought about this game but the writing is still pretty clever and fun which makes me feel good about WoL's appeal to me since it seems to share the tone of KoL. I'm surprised it held up so well over the years, at least from what I've read so far (level 8).

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

So I was playing west of loathing and it made me nostalgic to play kingdom of loathing again. I'm going to start a new account since my old account has so many doodads and loose ends that I just don't want to try to figure out what I was doing, but I had a question.

Back when I played it the entire community was incredibly anti-spoilers to the point where I always felt that there were secrets and tricks and back alleys I was missing everywhere because I didn't rub the right mcguffin on the right wall, as it any better now? Last I played there wasn't even anywhere that had any sort of information and I got bored after a few ascensions.

E: googled and found coldfront which I probably should've done before even asking. Oh well. Made a new account.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 19, 2017

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
there is an extensive kolwiki thats kept fairly up to date. i don't know about the official forums, but nobody here cares about spoilers and we now have a discord to easily ask us anything

if you still have your old account details, the game will let you abandon ship and just start over a new ascension from scratch. it should give you a notice like this when you log in

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I found my old info so I just reset the ascension, there is still a ton of things available to me from rollover, old inventory, campground stuff I unlocked, skills I unlocked, I'll just try and slowly take my time and poke people in the discord for clarification if I can't figure it out.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you've got less than 10mil meat, my offer is open to you as well goonfriend. If you're rich, then you can get a MYSTERY PRIZE.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Manuel Calavera posted:

If you've got less than 10mil meat, my offer is open to you as well goonfriend. If you're rich, then you can get a MYSTERY PRIZE.

I ascended hardcore so as to minimize the amount of confusing poo poo clogging my inventory but I'm pretty sure I didn't have a ton of meat anyway, I played enough to ascend 5 times but I don't think I ever had any real idea what I was doing. I was like 16-19. I'll mail ya.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I dropped you a kmail Manuel, as a old not-poor. (about 34mil meat mostly from world event mall stuff).

Agent355 : When you reset your ascension did you have the option of doing it Hardcore? It's what I usually play as because then I only have stuff I find in run. Alternatively you could try putting most/all your stuff in your closet in your campsite and leaving it until you are back to grips with stuff.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Then you will both get amazing mystery prizes that will hopefully not be questionable mayo.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
What about unquestionable mayo? Have we reached peak Fake Mayo?

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

WoL rekindled my interest in KoL. I played off and on for years, but my last completed ascension was over 6 years ago! (holy poo poo, we're all dead)

It seems like a bit has changed, including the addition of the "standard" mode where all of my best familiars and stuff are unusable because they're so old. From looking at the wiki it seems like the only change in dropping "standard" is the ascension reward, is this correct? I reset back to the beginning & am in hardcore, if that makes a difference.

I think I used to be strategic & good at this game at one point, but I am so lost right now, haha. It's kind of awesome.

flesh dance fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 19, 2017

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
You might also get less Karma for ascending out of standard. If you are in Hardcore, you won't be missing much other than a few familiars anyway, I'd think. (And some clan VIP room stuff, if you've a VIP key.)

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Thanks for clarifying. I decided to stick with it, I don't have any of those reward items yet. Going to miss gorging out my spleen on agua de vida, though :can:

I'd forgotten what a cool thing this is, cozy nostalgia paired with the fun of seeing what's new!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Applied to the clan for shiggles.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tylana posted:

What about unquestionable mayo? Have we reached peak Fake Mayo?

Man, how long ago was that event? I think I ate that mayo.

Agent355 I sent you a box. Hopefully the Gift Shop doesn't break anything. Or drop it in water somehow.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Applied to clan as Bugjug2235.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Manuel Calavera posted:

Man, how long ago was that event? I think I ate that mayo.

Agent355 I sent you a box. Hopefully the Gift Shop doesn't break anything. Or drop it in water somehow.

I sent you a mail but didn't get my box of questionable condiments yet :'(

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pseudoscorpion posted:

I sent you a mail but didn't get my box of questionable condiments yet :'(

Because I hadn't gotten your message til now you Silly Billy.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

I dusted off my old account again. Been playing on and off since pre-NS13 but I don't really have a ton of meat or stuff, about 350k at the moment. I'll shoot you a kmail from JRLinhares #1726051 if the offer's still open, Manuel.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You got a box, Jade.

Please post my terrible attempts at jokes folk. Polish my ego/skull.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

I've never been in the goon clan, does it have much activity nowadays? I'm a member of a decent size one that has a big ol' stash and all the vip stuff (which I can't use because of "standard" argh!) and it used to be a super chill and friendly place to hang out, but coming back yesterday & today it's kinda dead over there. There's a tiny handful of people, a few of them old regulars I remember, but it's bumming me out a lil bit. I've never been too vocal in chat, but it's nice to have people around.

also I'm a muscle class and somehow picked a moxie sign :toot:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The goon clan is super dead, but does have all the VIP lounge stuff still.

Occasionally someone will get around to killing all the clan dungeon bosses and reopening it for another round.

E: don't get me wrong people still play, but hanging out in irc/discord is way more relevant than being in the in-game clan as far as hanging out with goons goes.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
If anyone higher-up in the goon clan wants to make me an officer to manage the clan dungeons I can do it, I log in almost every day.

Vyacheslav
Aug 4, 2003
Hey, I'm also getting back into KoL after enjoying the hell out of West of Loathing. I applied to the clan as Vyacheslav, and want to join up!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I applied to the clan as Grapplejack, looking forward to eventually bankrolling clan dungeons for me to solo :v:.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Okay, so after enjoying West of Loathing. I have decided to get back into Kingdom of Loathing for the first time in years.

Here's the problem.

I've decided to start a fresh account. I used to have one with a kajillion meat and some Mr. Store items, but I got burnt out trying to play as optimally as possible. The issue is twofold. One, if I someday decide I'd like those items back, is it kosher for me to trade them to my new account? If not I won't be too broken up about it.

Second, and this is the more important one, that account was and is associated with the same email I currently use. Is there some way to dissociate that account with my email address so I can attach it to this one?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
the easiest way to do it would be to use your old account and jump straight into a hardcore standard ascension (theres a button in options to cancel your run and ascend fresh). anything pre-2015 is out of style and unusable in standard, so you can ignore your old stuff for as long as you like, and get around to using/selling it whenever

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
And/or closeting everything. IIRC the multi abuse rules are vague intentionally. So people don't just do tax avoidance style nit-picking on them basically.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

fits posted:

the easiest way to do it would be to use your old account and jump straight into a hardcore standard ascension (theres a button in options to cancel your run and ascend fresh). anything pre-2015 is out of style and unusable in standard, so you can ignore your old stuff for as long as you like, and get around to using/selling it whenever

So this would play just like a fresh account? Is there a way for me to delete the new account I just made?

Tylana posted:

And/or closeting everything. IIRC the multi abuse rules are vague intentionally. So people don't just do tax avoidance style nit-picking on them basically.

Yeah I'm not very worried about that. It's not like I'd actually be playing on two accounts.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 22, 2017

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ariong posted:

I've decided to start a fresh account. I used to have one with a kajillion meat and some Mr. Store items, but I got burnt out trying to play as optimally as possible. The issue is twofold. One, if I someday decide I'd like those items back, is it kosher for me to trade them to my new account? If not I won't be too broken up about it.

99% probability nobody will care . The multi abuse rules basically exist to keep people from having armies of bots farming meat for their main account, but if you're really worried about it send a kmail in game to user #6 ("The Eye" I think? it's the account devs use for managing multi abuse stuff) and they'll almost certainly respond and give you the go-ahead

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Okay, this isn't really what I was looking for. I want to start completely fresh. I want to be able to have softcore runs in the future, without a bunch of stuff already unlocked from more than a decade ago. What's my best option for that?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
goferchan's suggestion is probably the best. And/or just making a new account and playing with it. Multi's are fine as long as they aren't abused.

You can put a bunch of stuff away in the closet, but not everything (Notably Familiars. Maybe some weird passive skills). Though even softcore runs won't let you use the old IotMs if you are in Standard. (Post game content like the sea will still have them available though.)

At least getting Olfaction is less horribly slow than it once was.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Hmm. That does indeed sound like the best option. I guess I'll just make another email account.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I played through West of Loathing getting most if not all of the side quests done in about 11 hours, it was very very good. The combat was turbofucked as a Beanslinger with rifle lady as I just stacked spell damage and nuked the entire screen every time in one or two turns but the writing was phenomenal, so many great little jokes.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Well, here is a returnee thanks to West of Loathing. I took a really long break from KoL back when challenge path started, and I'm mostly interested in hardcore runs mostly. I have a couple of really outdated but okay IOTMs such as clipart and stomping boots, and my relevant permed skills are as follows:

Entangling Noodles (HP)
Pastamastery (HP)
Advanced Saucecrafting (P)
Mad Looting Skillz (P)
Advanced Cocktailcrafting (HP)
Superhuman Cocktailcrafting (HP)
The Ode to Booze (P)

So I would like to ask if it is feasible for me to finish the challenge path and six standard HC runs (plus six standard SC runs if at all possible) for the two sets before the end of year? If not, which items should I pick for maximum benefit?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Honestly, you could probably do that (including the SC runs) with a couple of months to spare, if you really knew your way around the game and put everything into it. Perhaps slightly longer if you're still re-learning the game and how everything's changed, but even then finishing up before the crimbo event starts is a pretty reasonable goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008
It's been about 9 years since I last played this game (I think I stopped playing soon after they implemented the multiplayer stuff), but I had to start a new account since my old login info is apparently lost to the ages and the email account I used is also gone forever. It's a real shame, too - I had quite a few awesome things (a few Mr. Accessories, some nice familiars, a few hardcore runs under my belt). Ah well! I've applied to the clan as JaymeSilver, if someone wouldn't mind letting me in!

I do have a question, though - I'm trying to do the Bat Hole quest, but I'm a bit underleveled to kill the bodyguards, and the side chambers are also hitting rather hard - should I just tough it out and heal after every couple of encounters, or is there a better place to grind?

Edit: Nevermind, beat him!

Jayme fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 22, 2017