Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

This is all very well but there are TROLLS and GOONS on Reddit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I was just playing a real video game that is out right now called No Man's Sky and there were multiple procedurally generated crashed freighters on many procedurally generated planets. Hell, that game even has procedurally generated birds! I was able to get into my spacecar and drive around the procedurally generated worlds without jittering or clipping through anything too.

However, I only spent $40 on it, so it can't nearly be as good as a game where a new spaceship costs $400. All of the spaceships come with No Man's Sky, so it is only a tenth as good as that one video game spaceship that is $400. Even though you can play with them all now and not years from now.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So after having "watched", finally, 15 mins of Arena Commander, I think I'm qualified to ask just what the gently caress does anybody see in Star Citizen at all to put anything more than a couple of hours per patch?

How do you play wave upon wave of the same dull point and click bullshit vs unchallenging "ai" that does little more than act as a nuissance? How is anything about ship combat any different from Elite: Dangerous, other than the fact that Star Citizen is categorically a worse product?

The only reason anyone chooses Star Citizen above any and all competition is a ridiculous faith towards a man incapable of comprehending movement in Zero-G. And he micromanages the poo poo out of everything.

Yet, somehow, this 'paragon of gaming' is looked upon fondly, for works that were vastly inferior to other games at the time, but featured Live Action videos to tell a story. And thats, like, the only thing it had going for it. Nevermind that, post-wing commander 1, all the characters became bland cardboard cutouts once Chris got his way with total creative control on the story.

This man took from others, rebranded it as his own, used his coworkers to build himself up, and then shat over the one franchise he ever hit it big with, not only by loving over his stories in WC3 and beyond, but making a lovely movie adaption with more holes than the Titanic.

And people think hes good at his job. Idiots...

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

No, you need to retweet your tweets and then respond to them, then quote those in the thread.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

ewe2 posted:

This is all very well but there are TROLLS and GOONS on Reddit!

There are :reddit: shitizens right here in SA! Stop spreading FUD.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Mirificus posted:

The "desert has been crossed"

The following posts were posted within hours of each other:

"self-serving hipster mods"

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
anyone wanna play some star citizen

reason i ask is cause I am super HYPED and PUMPED for friday

RT this tweet if interested

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

It's me, I'm the one chirping away the well-being of the community

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mods were the original hipsters.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
I just read 30 pages of garbage so I'll add to the pile.

:justpost:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

:qq: Paying the WELLNESS COSTS of GOONS and TROLLS and HIPSTER MODS :qq:

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

ManofManyAliases posted:

-We're going to see 3.0 release much earlier than "mid-year."
-SQ42 will, at the very least, have a level (or few levels) drop this year. Though, I'm optimistic for a full release before end-of-year.
-Certain evocati will begin testing 3.0 very, very soon.

Quote the poo poo out of this if you want.

Just wanted to quote this again.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

lol goddamn

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe

Nice meltdown

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
That dude is really mad about a video game forum.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

This is so so funny. Heavy meta, superficially funny yet esoterically hilarious.

It's early yet, but I think this framework as thread meme has legs. Given that the referent is a thread constant, I just have a feeling this one could go the distance, BNBL. I really do... :pgabz:

G0RF fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 22, 2017

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

doingitwrong posted:

I'm coming to believe that a good sized chunk of SC backers aren't paying for the game at all. They are paying for a fantasy reality series about life in a kickass game development studio. (Well, everyone who backed is *paying* for that but there's a good chunk of people where *that's all they want*.) They want to be part of supporting the kind of games studio that you imagined you'd work at as a kid. There'd be cool arcade machines everywhere and it would be like living in a space ship and your cool genius friends would live the good life and go on vacations and just have fun and make games.

It's lysenkoism for game development. The environment makes the game. They think that if a game is made in fun conditions it will be a fun game. If a game is made with glamorous people, it will be glamorous. Things that look effortless got that way with effortless…effort. They want the creative process to be as cool and fun as the creative outcomes. They think that bad games come from bad publishers who get in the way of fun by cutting off funding and forcing people who would otherwise be doing to cool work in a free environment to work in a lovely boring environment where they release subpar crap with DLCs.

They're not mad about the door because I think they think that a cool door is an important part of a cool environment which is an important part of fostering a cool game.

The seeds of this show up in the first K/S video where Chris talks about wanting to prove something to big publishers and the world to make the game he wants to make the way he wants to make it. By turning publishers from one kind of business avenue to funding a game to some kind of evil entity, he's actively recruiting people with a chip on their shoulder about game development and games. We see the fruits of that in a lot of the posts. There's a lot of people in SC actively mad at the idea of consoles or the idea that people on consoles might play their game. What a weird thing to be mad about.

Then with the JPG-based income model, they're recruiting people who have trouble distinguishing between appearance and reality. Consider the hours and threads devotes to discussing which imaginary ship is better for which imaginary role. This is a group of people that regularly pits the promises of their project against the real, released properties of other projects and while triumphantly making their comparisons fail to mention that *only one of those things exists*. For them, SC dreams are maybe more real than actual products.

For this group of people that I am imagining, the current state of Star Citizen is far, far more satisfying than any released project could ever be. This is what they want, this is what they keep funding and this is what they're gonna get for a long, long time.

I'm behind because I went outside to watch the eclipse, which was loving magnificent beyond words, while you turbo-dorks kept posting, but this post here is :five: and the poster should feel :five:. Really punching above your weight here.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Toops posted:

I'm behind because I went outside to watch the eclipse, which was loving magnificent beyond words, while you turbo-dorks kept posting, but this post here is :five: and the poster should feel :five:. Really punching above your weight here.

never stop posting

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

quote:

Star Marine was only released to counter criticism and under much protest from senior staff.

The development of it was an absolute nightmare due to demands for things like bullet trajectories calculated from the barrel of the weapon .

The engine change discussion that I mentioned a few pages back happened in a meeting during Star Marine dev and was a real option being discussed.

The criticisms of Gamescon presentations is not that they aren't "amazing" but that they are standalone r&d tech aka "fake" or unrepresentative of the project, or disingenuous.

Nothing else in JohnMice's post is worth addressing.
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/355735-Star-Citizen-Thread-v6?p=5847499&viewfull=1#post5847499

That sounds like something goonies would make up to spread FUD

Also I'm glad the Frontier forums is another source of rubbing off

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
I'm up!

bacalhau
Apr 29, 2013

Warhawk109 posted:

Excellent avatar MoMA

his nibs posted:

That avatar owns

It's missing the year. When 3.0 releases in March (2020) he can say "see, much earlier than mid-year!"

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Toops posted:

Oh, I can words it:

The moon done went in fronta the sun. It got dark, that was kinda weird.*

Anyways things went back to normal afterwards.

*I'm actually in Alberta so we only got a partial. It was striking enough that I thanked my wife for calling me out when she figured out she could reflect the sun off the screen of her phone after shining it through a sunglasses lense. My wife is so awesome, btw.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm in the part of the world where it was supposed to be dark at that time anyway.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

MinorInconvenience posted:

Dude. I qualified for Mensa on the basis of both my SAT and LSAT scores. But I'd like to like that I qualified for Platinum Mensa by realizing that paying a group to tell me how smart I was was kinda stupid. I wouldn't go around shouting that I was a member of Mensa if I were you.

Dude. I qualified for Densa by quoting and replying to your post. I'm gonna keep it secret though, which is why I spoilered that bit of this post

:smug:

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Toops posted:

Could Ben punch above his weight?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Kosumo posted:

Could Ben punch above his weight?

This made me laugh more than it should've.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Ten for the Beerman question -
pre:
     Dear Beerman, in a zero-g environment, would Ben be able to punch above his weight or would his punches be zero? 

P.S. I'm a big fan of yours (not as big as Ben unfortunally )  and I love all your old games and still play them often ... Scam Commander, Tickleer and Freemoney.

Thanks for your time, I know its hard to read when you have a $100 note rolled up and strawing into your nose.

P.S.S. I love your dress sense, you have super style, could you tell me the secret of this and now I could try to look this awesome? 

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/899906440059641857

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

this is borderline incomprehensible

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Is this their new marketing "thing"?

It's quite poo poo.

By 'quite' I mean 'really'.

It's like there is no game at all so they are just archering old styles of marketing that were poo poo to start with and quickly dropped by even really bad companies.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
EXPECTED RESULT
The screen be right side up lol
Ship should stay on course/not change direction without user input
Canopy should not disappear.
Fix party system, enable for team to see each other on Port Olisar and allow them to take off on the same ship. Fix this issue as it is very upsetting for us not being able to play with friends. !!!!!!!!! FIX IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!
The game should have started...
I should have had a good time with my newly rented weapons, but did not.
It should have reconfigured properly. I should not be missing any equipment or losing a grenade because I changed armour. When I first went from the flight suit to the ORC medium, there were two grenades and I've never changed since. Why should it fail now?
When trying any equipment or clothing, the character should revert to the same set of clothes or equipment it had before trying.
Ship stays in place, or mostly in place. A human sized mass shouldn't be able to impart much velocity to the greater mass of the ship.
NPC pirate spawns allowing a fight to complete the stage.
The display should have remained normal when cycling through camera views.
Ship does not announce victory until victory is achieved.
Door should open.
A player model should be running around normally.
Skin should have stayed visible on outer hull
Since the door doesn't go anyway, it should have stopped my movement like a wall.
Both the "Back" button and the "Find Match" button should be usable and retain their usual coloration and mouse-over effects.
Energy-Weapons should "hit" when they hit.
I should have been able to buy the boots.
To fall to the ground and stand up without being bugged.
Painting stays on the wall all the time.
I have jumped out from closed ship's window.
I was into the ship, somehow it explodes and my character freezes in space without ability move or commit suicide, also I was unable to exit game controls were stuck but the game was running.
Player locked up in the room, door is not opening ,mission P.I. Wanted
Don't

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

what timezone did they buy their marketing in

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
They're ads for the 600i.

They're going for that high end suave marketing style.

Well, ED did it first. Kinda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYQU5tusgoc

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Oh cool, CIG are branching out into upmarket aftershave.

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

BeigeJacket posted:

Oh cool, CIG are branching out into upmarket aftershave.

Broken Dreams by Robérts

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
KHARTU ALL VISIBILITY

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

1 rent the Khartu-al
2 try to play a game

ACTUAL RESULT
Rage quit

EXPECTED RESULT
Actually see

EVIDENCE

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I think last time I read anything about Star Citizen was like 6 months ago and it was the same 'almost ready' spiel as always, did anything change?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

I mean, it's pointless and next to zero effort marketing, but at least it is not fake gameplay and fake ship promo animations.

I am guessing that the "thrill" of discovery won't amount to much once the first people discover the 10 or so sites of interest across the 3 landable moons.