Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

I know I'm in the vast minority but I cannot stand Minsc and I'm doing whatever I can to get him out of my party ASAP in BG2.

Yea, he is super annoying and honestly I would feel a little bad taking obviously retarded guy out murder hoboing with me.

Back to the topic of overpowered illegal classes, in an attempt to make an interesting to play thief, I am currently playing through with Safina as a shadow dancer/fighter multiclass.

It's way too much, even it like level five she is straight up one-shotting most anyone who lets her get cloaked and behind them. If I had SCS installed it might be reasonable, but for now I'm going to either have to change it back to a clean thief/fighter or leave her as is and edit her hit points down to about half so I have to be much more careful with positioning her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i don't like scs because I don't play these games to have 20 minute chess matches

i play to stack 3000 traps on top of each other and disintegrate dragons

not playing with scs also allows you to play the game with bad kits and still do pretty well

also edwin > jan :colbert:

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Yeah, the problem with difficulty enhancing mods is they eliminate a bunch of options. You -have- to use the OP classes and the OP gear.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Dyna Soar posted:

But maybe I'll start with a Blade or something and re-learn all the tricks to beat the game somewhat fairly.

I don't think Blade is the kit you want if you're trying to be fair to the game. Even by the standards of arcane casters, it's pretty drat cheesy.

bongwizzard posted:

Back to the topic of overpowered illegal classes, in an attempt to make an interesting to play thief, I am currently playing through with Safina as a shadow dancer/fighter multiclass.

It's way too much, even it like level five she is straight up one-shotting most anyone who lets her get cloaked and behind them. If I had SCS installed it might be reasonable, but for now I'm going to either have to change it back to a clean thief/fighter or leave her as is and edit her hit points down to about half so I have to be much more careful with positioning her.

And yet, Shadowdancer -> Fighter is perfectly legal and arguably even more broken than the multiclass variant. That admittedly only works with BG2 in mind though.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Entropy238 posted:

Wild Mage isn't quite as powerful in EE, and doesn't make for a great multi-class character if you're EE-Keepering it.

Your levels are added to your Wild Surge roll so the max on the surge table a multi-class mage would get is +20, whereas you can get +31 if you're a pure mage. Multi-classing will exacerbate the randomness of surges.

The total you can push your rolls on a WM in EE because of new stacking rules is [Level] + 25 (Greater Chaos Shield) + 15 (Late ToB Item).

If you want a super strong character go for a Sorcerer or a Fighter/Mage variant (Berserker>Mage or multi). The Sorcerer really starts to shine at 3,000,000 xp when you get improved alacrity, fighter/mage when you have a nice selection of level 5/6 spells.

I'm playing the regular ol' versions, the EE games feel, uh, wonky I guess. Everything they've added is a little off, like the zoom or the quick loot. Not much sense in playing them when I can play the old games I guess. I mean, did they even fix anything really or just introduce a buncha new bugs?

Anyway, I don't really mind a multi wild mage / thief not being as OP as a wildmage could be, I kinda just want a utility dude with spell casting as the PC. The surges being more random is a plus to me I guess, hah.

I'm not really looking to play the most OP character, even tho I said I'd play a gnome M/T. Just powerful enough to beat full SCS. Maybe a two handed sword wielding gnomish F/M would be more fun?

Samuel Clemens posted:

I don't think Blade is the kit you want if you're trying to be fair to the game. Even by the standards of arcane casters, it's pretty drat cheesy.

Yeah? I played with them lots back in the day and while they're fun and pretty powerful, they didn't feel really OP like some other classes, Inquisitor or Kensai / Mage for example.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 21, 2017

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Dyna Soar posted:

Anyway, I don't really mind a multi wild mage / thief not being as OP as a wildmage could be, I kinda just want a utility dude with spell casting as the PC. The surges being more random is a plus to me I guess, hah.

I'm not really looking to play the most OP character, even tho I said I'd play a gnome M/T. Just powerful enough to beat full SCS. Maybe a two handed sword wielding gnomish F/M would be more fun?

I do find the Enhanced Edition games to be an improvement over the originals but ymmv.

If you're playing non-EE you can go balls out with any level of Wild Mage as soon as you can cast chain contingency and load it up with three Greater Chaos shields. You can even use Nahal's Reckless Dweomer to cast a chain contingency spell to stack your Chaos Shields before you get legit level 9 casting.

A gnome Fighter/Illusionist using a Two Handed Sword will also be able to wreck faces too.

Mage/Thief is probably the best utility class in BG though so if that's what you want go for it.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

What's up with BG2 and all the multiclass NPCs that you can recruit? I guess it makes it easier for party management but drat do I really need a Fighter/Druid, Mage/Cleric and Fighter/Cleric in my group?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Yes, yes and yes. Single classes are generally pretty bad past the lower levels, except wizards I guess.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Entropy238 posted:

I do find the Enhanced Edition games to be an improvement over the originals but ymmv.

Care to elaborate? I'd really appreciate it, I mean I'm still installing Tutu and probably won't be abled to actually start a game today. I tried the EE's when they came out so I guess half a dozen or so patches ago.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok, I feel like this question has come up before but...

Is it true that timer based event triggers have both a game-time and real-time component?
Because I decided to briefly switch Jan out for Nalia to trigger her "Nalia is abducted' event. Guides say it takes 7-10 days. I've waited two weeks, walked around Athkatla a bunch, and no funeral.
Starting to think it isn't worth it (It isn't, but she lays a hell of a guilt trip on you).

Yep there are event triggers, game time timers, and real time timers. However, Nalia doesn't get kidnapped if she's not in your party when you find her fathers body at the end of the keep quest. I only just found this out on my last solo run.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Dyna Soar posted:

Care to elaborate? I'd really appreciate it, I mean I'm still installing Tutu and probably won't be abled to actually start a game today. I tried the EE's when they came out so I guess half a dozen or so patches ago.

There's plenty of fixes across the board, plenty of new fun items, improved UI, hardcoded stuff like Insane Difficulty without the extra damage and most importantly Siege of Dragonspear.

In my experience it's also more reliable than doing a Tutu installation.

It was true that they broke a lot of stuff initially but pretty much everything works fine on it now, including most of the good mods. Ascension is still really janky on it, which sucks.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Entropy238 posted:

There's plenty of fixes across the board, plenty of new fun items, improved UI, hardcoded stuff like Insane Difficulty without the extra damage and most importantly Siege of Dragonspear.

In my experience it's also more reliable than doing a Tutu installation.

It was true that they broke a lot of stuff initially but pretty much everything works fine on it now, including most of the good mods. Ascension is still really janky on it, which sucks.

Hmm, well that does sound pretty good. I guess I'll play the EE versions, then.

What mods would you recommend? I mean I've obviously played SCS before, but other than that I've usually kept BG1 as close to vanilla as possible. Anything other than SCS, UB and the tweak pack that don't break immersion with poorly written fan fiction?

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 21, 2017

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
EE was riddled with awful awful bugs for over a year after it came out, but most of those have been finally cleared up. There's still a few nasty ones involving multiplayer that I doubt will ever be fixed at this point, which is a shame because multiplayer is basically impossible on the old versions these days. The writing for the new characters is pretty divisive, I personally think most of it is pretty stupid and juvenile, (especially Neera) but I've got like six layers of moss on me so feel free to ignore that as the opinion of a nostalgic old grognard if you like. The sun soul monk guy is alright, although that's mostly because he's pretty bland. His class sucks so you might not want him along on that basis. The semi-secret drow sorcerer guy fits in with the original NPCs best in that he's a fairly one-note scenery-chewing joke character, but he only shows up for BG1.

There's this weird little bonus mode which is a series of arena fights. It's fine.

EE's big advantage is in that it's just easy to drop in and go. It'll support a widescreen monitor right out of the gate. They changed the UI a lot in one of the later patches. Some folks pitched a fit about it, some folks loved it. I think it had some good changes and some bad, kind of a wash. It's certainly convenient being able to see some of your more important stats right on your inventory screen instead of having to dig for them in the scroll bar on the character info screen.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Dyna Soar posted:

Hmm, well that does sound pretty good. I guess I'll play the EE versions, then.

What mods would you recommend? I mean I've obviously played SCS before, but other than that I've usually kept BG1 as close to vanilla as possible. Anything other than SCS, UB and the tweak pack that don't break immersion with poorly written fan fiction?

I keep it simple too. SCS, Tweak Pack, PnP Free Action and a few home-made tweaks like removing the fatigue effect from the haste spell. Other people here will have more experience with content mods - never bothered with unfinished business myself, and wouldn't bother with ascension on EE yet as it's buggy as hell.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Yeah, maybe I'll skip UB. I played the BG2 version back in the day and most of the quests it added were tedious, nonsensical or just boring. I'm mostly waiting for the chess combat, hah.

Are your tweaks available online? The fatigue effect was annoying as gently caress.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The thing that frustrates me about SCS and the rest of them is that it breaks any attachment between Baldur's Gate and D&D in general. They make so many changes to things which I guess make sense if you've only ever played BG2 or whatever, but completely break the language of D&D. It might be more balanced if all you care about is super-difficulty in Baldur's Gate, but it hurts to see :smith:

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Arivia posted:

The thing that frustrates me about SCS and the rest of them is that it breaks any attachment between Baldur's Gate and D&D in general. They make so many changes to things which I guess make sense if you've only ever played BG2 or whatever, but completely break the language of D&D. It might be more balanced if all you care about is super-difficulty in Baldur's Gate, but it hurts to see :smith:

It changes the fights so that they prepare spells just like you would before the fight. I just handwave it away as their minions giving them warning before you arrive or something. You never do something like having the sorcerers evil familiar scouting out the party or something in a videogame like you would in an actual DND game.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
What about poo poo like chain contingency: enemy spotted horrid wilting x3? You bump into your high school bully at the grocery store and annihilate the whole neighborhood.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

you never take a nap in the middle of the dungeon every other fight like you're required to do with scs either

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Samuel Clemens posted:

And yet, Shadowdancer -> Fighter is perfectly legal and arguably even more broken than the multiclass variant. That admittedly only works with BG2 in mind though.

Yeah, but then you still have a kind of dull thief for at least all of at-least BG1. I did totally neglect any of her skills other than hide on shadows/move silently, so Bland Dwarf (who is now a Dwarves Defender) is having to find traps the old fashioned way.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Dyna Soar posted:

Yeah, maybe I'll skip UB. I played the BG2 version back in the day and most of the quests it added were tedious, nonsensical or just boring. I'm mostly waiting for the chess combat, hah.

Are your tweaks available online? The fatigue effect was annoying as gently caress.

Ask and ye shall receive:

https://ufile.io/tbcmh

Drop that in your override directory, which should be created automatically in your main BG directory after installing SCS/tweaks. It should remove the fatigue effect from haste.

If it doesn't work give me a shout.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Dyna Soar posted:

Yeah? I played with them lots back in the day and while they're fun and pretty powerful, they didn't feel really OP like some other classes, Inquisitor or Kensai / Mage for example.

The two most broken things in BG2 are arcane spells and Rogue HLAs. Blades get access to both as well as their Spins, which are semi-broken in their own way (though the EE nerfed them quite a bit).

bongwizzard posted:

Yeah, but then you still have a kind of dull thief for at least all of at-least BG1.

It's not so bad. As long as you make sure to explore during the night, Shadowdancers can reliably HiPS around level 5-6. Their damage at that stage is admittedly pretty poor even for a Thief, but since the AI can't really deal with constant invisibility, the only danger is running out of patience.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Samuel Clemens posted:

the only danger is running out of patience.

New thread title?

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Dyna Soar posted:

I'm playing the regular ol' versions, the EE games feel, uh, wonky I guess. Everything they've added is a little off, like the zoom or the quick loot. Not much sense in playing them when I can play the old games I guess. I mean, did they even fix anything really or just introduce a buncha new bugs?

Careful what you insinuate or you'll get a custom title/avatar too...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vargatron posted:

What's up with BG2 and all the multiclass NPCs that you can recruit? I guess it makes it easier for party management but drat do I really need a Fighter/Druid, Mage/Cleric and Fighter/Cleric in my group?

The fighter/cleric is dual class and only levels up as a cleric, he's basically just a cleric who's a bit better at melee.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

you never take a nap in the middle of the dungeon every other fight like you're required to do with scs either

There's a counter argument to every one of these, some people can't stand playing without it and some can't stand playing with it I suppose.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Samuel Clemens posted:

the only danger is running out of patience.

This is what has killed most all of my runs.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
It's why I've mostly been playing ironman for the past few years. Anything that requires save scumming is right out. Anything that takes too long usually is as well because of the ever increasing odds of human error ruining everything. So I go for quickly executed, fairly reliable strats with a few backups just in case. Playthroughs go by really quickly. Going through my screenshots and writing updates for the ironman threads take almost as long as playing the game.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Dillbag posted:

Yep there are event triggers, game time timers, and real time timers. However, Nalia doesn't get kidnapped if she's not in your party when you find her fathers body at the end of the keep quest. I only just found this out on my last solo run.

Well that would be the problem then.
I was able to EE keeper the trigger in thanks to having a save in which I had already done it.
But if I knew that I probably wouldn't have bothered.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Soul Reaver posted:

Careful what you insinuate or you'll get a custom title/avatar too...

Ha, you poor fella... I'm actually happy to be wrong, EE's are a lot easier to set up.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

They are worth it for the instant quick save and quick loading IMO.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dyna Soar posted:

Ha, you poor fella... I'm actually happy to be wrong, EE's are a lot easier to set up.

Saying the EEs have problems is fine. That guy you quoted flipped his lid in the usual idiot gamer style over a trans character in Siege of Dragonspear and Minsc calling reactionaries out for being idiots.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The EE, to me, puts the previous game builds to shame. It's awesome, I love them so much. I'd love a physical collectors edition of ALL the BG series with a big rear end updated Volo manual and a concept art book and maps.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Arivia posted:

Saying the EEs have problems is fine. That guy you quoted flipped his lid in the usual idiot gamer style over a trans character in Siege of Dragonspear and Minsc calling reactionaries out for being idiots.

Ah, one of those guys. You'd think a fantasy realm with magic would be filled with trans characters, no? :can:

So how's Siege of Dragonspear? I read a review that said it's kinda linear and not really like the older games in that sense, more akin to ToB which I'm not a huge fan of.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Dyna Soar posted:

Ah, one of those guys. You'd think a fantasy realm with magic would be filled with trans characters, no? :can:

So how's Siege of Dragonspear? I read a review that said it's kinda linear and not really like the older games in that sense, more akin to ToB which I'm not a huge fan of.

I'd say yeah, it's more like ToB, but in its defence it has some novel and interesting items, good battles and an interesting story. Overall I was pretty impressed.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

gender illusionist posted:

I'd say yeah, it's more like ToB, but in its defence it has some novel and interesting items, good battles and an interesting story. Overall I was pretty impressed.

That sounds good enough since it's just the bridge between the two games anyway. I guess I'll buy it once I'm done with BG1, should take me a few months and maybe it'll be on sale by then.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

If you really wanted to be a trans individual there's a belt you can get in the beginning of BG1 that reverses your gender.

Also we use elves, dwarves, halfings, etc as allegories for racism and discrimination but a trans character is a bridge too far and political? You could also, I don't know, just not let one ancillary character bother you.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
It's looking like my F/C will be ending BG almost to 7/7 but I'm not sure if he'll actually get there. From the bit I've read BG2 starts you at level 7 if you roll a new character for it. I'm planning to play through SoD with my F/C, so what level will I start BG2 at? Will I be way over powered out of the starting gates from leveling in SoD?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Vargatron posted:

I don't know, just not let one ancillary character bother you.

I haven't actually played Siege yet, but isn't it literally like 2 or 3 lines in an optional conversation on an NPC you might not even need to talk to?

Anyway, put me firmly in the camp of the EE Skeptics who turned into a true believer once I actually picked them up on sale and played them. (Though I agree the new NPCs are mostly not great, though the, uh, valiant attempt at flirty dialogue with Neera in BG1 is certainly a thing.)

Wildtortilla posted:

Will I be way over powered

I don't understand the question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

docbeard posted:

I haven't actually played Siege yet, but isn't it literally like 2 or 3 lines in an optional conversation on an NPC you might not even need to talk to?

Yes, that is correct. The line is basically "I was born a man, but I felt more comfortable as a woman".