Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

DaveKap posted:

Maybe I'm missing something but is there syncing here that's more specific than just "crawling leads to a scream" or is that it? Doesn't seem like anything else in the scene really requires the scream in both scenes to line up in order to have anything else line up, which would normally insinuate there is something else that syncs up within a second.

It reminded me of the when everything was lined up right for the entrance to the lodge to open up at the end of season 2 and there was that scene in the Double R Diner where some of the in the know/had some contact with lodge stuff people's hands started shaking/etc. Less a direct connection to Dougie's specific situation and more a general signal of poo poo being about to happen on a bigger scale.

But I also thought that like maybe the doppleganger isn't an evil (or good) version of a character, but rather every doppleganger is a dreamer and the "real world" is a collective dream of these beings that are completely disconnected from human existence as we would normally define it.

After Albert's conversation with Preston I think Jeffries' line about how "we are like the dreamer who lives in the dream, but who is the dreamer?" is him saying he figured this out, that the FBI was investigating in terms of like evil clones and artificially created folks when the truth is further reaching.

I also started to think this because of the way the Giant perceives our world like a movie, and the artifacted/glitchy video stylings tend to mostly be the domain of "weird poo poo happening because of Booper/Cooper/Dougie stuff is happening unusually" moments. Like Booper being in our world actively messes with everyone's movie/tv show/dream that is our world.

Will we actually get to see the Black Lodge as a weird version of the Great Northern Hotel like how it was meant to be in the script? Like the weird noise they hear in room 315 of the Hotel we all assumed was Josie but like, they never really went anywhere with that besides it being superficially obvious to the viewer that it's Josie. I noticed if you go back a couple of months people had a theory that the sound was Audrey spying on people in the hotel like she did through the walls in the original series since it moves from place to place. There was no chance of that at the time, but from what we see of Audrey's situation now, like, what?

I think Cooper's old key to room 315 will somehow end up being super important to unlock a way into/out of somewhere for Audrey.

Humorously, the noise could just be the beautiful "resonance" Ben was trying so hard to achieve via feng shui interior layout in season 2. :P

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
How do you replace one of your characters with a teapot and make it not only work, but make so awesome that everyone just rolls with it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

HD DAD posted:

How do you replace one of your characters with a teapot and make it not only work, but make so awesome that everyone just rolls with it.

I was blown away by this for real.

Regarding Lynch and meditation, Tibet, and Buddhism again, I'm starting to think even more now that the kettle/boiler/etc. type structure we see commonly throughout season 3 are also mean to evoke bells used in Buddhist religious practices as well as the "singing bowl" type bells used for meditative purposes in Tibet. It would make certain consistent things regarding the show's sound design make waaaaaay too much sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb3okem4OCk

I think what really made Jeffries work is how the writing puts him in an immediate position of power over BadCoop, and what a great job they did for the build up to it, like everything from the second we realize Cooper is approaching the convenience store and on. On top of that we're used to seeing Evil Cooper be like ten steps ahead of everyone else, but Jeffries just sort of sends him away like he's nothing, and the way Jeffries sends information by just spitting numbers out, like it's awesome.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 22, 2017

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Whew, finally caught up after picking up from mid-season-2. What a ride.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Neo Rasa posted:

Will we actually get to see the Black Lodge as a weird version of the Great Northern Hotel like how it was meant to be in the script? Like the weird noise they hear in room 315 of the Hotel we all assumed was Josie but like, they never really went anywhere with that besides it being superficially obvious to the viewer that it's Josie. I noticed if you go back a couple of months people had a theory that the sound was Audrey spying on people in the hotel like she did through the walls in the original series since it moves from place to place. There was no chance of that at the time, but from what we see of Audrey's situation now, like, what?

I think Cooper's old key to room 315 will somehow end up being super important to unlock a way into/out of somewhere for Audrey.

Humorously, the noise could just be the beautiful "resonance" Ben was trying so hard to achieve via feng shui interior layout in season 2. :P

Episode 14 had James going to check out the furnace in the Great Northern and hearing the same sound down there that Ben Horne had been hearing, and the scene ends when he sees a door that's presumably concealing the source of the sound.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

DevCore posted:

And a troll. Don't forget him being a (possibly unintentional) troll.

I mean seriously - he approaches this couple who he's clearly hosed with in the past, then says "I just really like her" after that dude threatened him a few times and got up to be even more threatening. What was James trying to accomplish?

james is a pure soul

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i thought it was really cool of James to try and get help for the dudes that just tried to kill him

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
The only way this show could possibly disappoint me would be if Freddie never delivers a punch with all of his might.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

DaveKap posted:

Maybe I'm missing something but is there syncing here that's more specific than just "crawling leads to a scream" or is that it? Doesn't seem like anything else in the scene really requires the scream in both scenes to line up in order to have anything else line up, which would normally insinuate there is something else that syncs up within a second.

then what is the point of her crawling and screaming if not part of the larger mirror motifs & themes present in the entire series.

FSFunky
Aug 13, 2004

it's only falling in love because you hit the ground
I don't think a scene needs to like sync up exactly to be a callback or reference to a previous scene.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
It's going to be a hilarious troll if it turns out Coop died from doing that and we never see him again.

I don't understand why everyone is so happy for Ed. Everything was too easy. Nobody in this series gets a super happy ending like that. I guarantee that everything that happened to him this week means that something very bad is going to happen to him really soon. If I had to guess, I'd say that Norma gets killed. :( Maybe by Sarah.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

...! posted:

It's going to be a hilarious troll if it turns out Coop died from doing that and we never see him again.

I don't understand why everyone is so happy for Ed. Everything was too easy. Nobody in this series gets a super happy ending like that. I guarantee that everything that happened to him this week means that something very bad is going to happen to him really soon. If I had to guess, I'd say that Norma gets killed. :( Maybe by Sarah.

It was because we were left with him being so loving sad. It will be a kick in the head of something worse happens, but ultimately they did get to be together and that's what matters imo.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i find it hilarious that the fireman had to explain everything to british one punch man
just thinking about one punch going "wot? wots that all mean?" all the time and the fireman just finally explaining everything to him in plain simple english

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

...! posted:

Maybe Booper was Cooper all along and Dooper has always been insignificant? Phillip Jeffries seemed convinced that Booper is the real Cooper, but then again he is a giant teapot so he might not have the best judgment. Given that he travels via electricity he might have lured Dooper into getting fuckzapped deliberately? I'm just glad that Ed finally gets to bang Norma.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

It would be a hilarious Troll if, Lynch, make a fart, heh.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

...! posted:

Yeah, my girlfriend was like " I dunno, the arc was so short, it just felt like total fan service" and I had to remind her that a lot can go wrong in 3 hours.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
kettle calls coop balck

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

...! posted:

I don't think anything about that was easy considering it literally took 25 years to get there. It was a nice end for those characters, and I would not be surprised if that's the last we see of them.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Baloogan posted:

i find it hilarious that the fireman had to explain everything to british one punch man
just thinking about one punch going "wot? wots that all mean?" all the time and the fireman just finally explaining everything to him in plain simple english

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICGwfkAYwr0

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
What was ever the deal with Beverly's sick relative or whoever that was? Are they ever going to follow up on that, or was that just some quick bit to show another random sick person, which I imagine will turn into some thing by the end.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Kawalimus posted:

What was ever the deal with Beverly's sick relative or whoever that was? Are they ever going to follow up on that, or was that just some quick bit to show another random sick person, which I imagine will turn into some thing by the end.

It was her husband, no?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Elias_Maluco posted:

It was her husband, no?

I don't remember. For some reason I keep thinking uncle. But husband would make more sense maybe. Either way.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I think it was to give Beverly a little more depth than "Unfaithful assistant", showing what she was dealing with at home. But this season hasn't exactly been great with characterization. It was her husband and he was using his illness to manipulate her.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
david lynch is just such a troll! lmaooo im so trolled rn! HELP! i keep getting trolololed~! who is everyone's favorite troll on the show!? ahh i cant take it!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZWDAWoF6Tk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_JutJRMSrc

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I actually completely forgot about Beverly's husband, I'm guessing he'll matter about as much as Donna's sisters did in the original show.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Im not sure how but i completely forgot about this scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vOg0HyJpvI

I found it via a video youtube really wanted me to watch of Chrysta Bell performing this song that you should definitely not watch

Basticle fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 22, 2017

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Thom and the Heads posted:

david lynch is just such a troll! lmaooo im so trolled rn! HELP! i keep getting trolololed~! who is everyone's favorite troll on the show!? ahh i cant take it!
I'm sorry, it's called "Lynched". take that you vapid degenerate who can't appreciate the subtle trolls of this pure art

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I actually completely forgot about Beverly's husband, I'm guessing he'll matter about as much as Donna's sisters did in the original show.

Donna's middle sister, whose name I have forgotten, was fantastic and I loved her.

E: I'm now convinced that the log has been literally talking to Margaret this whole time. Husband's spirit in there? Someone else's? Lodge entity who we haven't been introduced to?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

zelah posted:

Donna's middle sister, whose name I have forgotten, was fantastic and I loved her.

Harriet.

quote:

E: I'm now convinced that the log has been literally talking to Margaret this whole time. Husband's spirit in there? Someone else's? Lodge entity who we haven't been introduced to?

Well if Phillip Jefferies is a teapot maybe Chet Desmond is the log.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Margaret's husband is discussed in Secret History. Iirc he dies on their wedding night in a fire in the woods.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I initially thought Coop's return to sentience would be more gradual but with only a handful of episodes left I could see that shock just kicking him right back into Coop mode.

Although in some ways that would feel almost too easy so I wouldn't be surprised if Lynch goes another direction next week.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I hope when Janey-E finds electrified Coop, there's an extra pair of shoes laying by him.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
So the drunk in the jail cell has only been acknowledged by Chad, right? My theory is that he's the ghost of the parrot that was killed in season 1. I also theorize that Freddie Sykes' destiny was to get James thrown in jail for some reason and that he's gonna bite a bullet once Cooper and Richard show up. The woman who opens the door to Phillip's room is credited as "Bosomy Woman" and is played by a man. I believe that "Judy" refers to Major Garland Briggs, and Phillip won't talk about him in front of Cooper because he knows that Cooper eventually splits into Bad Cooper. Bad Cooper has already been asking for information about Garland from Ray.

The Dougie/Cooper scene is one of the first times we see him take real agency over his actions. Normally he's being guided by the Red Room but here we see him make the connection between the words "Gordon Cole" (spoken in the film he's watching) and the outlet, and when he gets there we see a flash of unguided problem solving that lets him electrocute himself. I think it's significant that there wasn't a green light over the outlet because I don't think he's doing this to avoid death, I think this is him trying to make himself whole.

There's a strange theme of being invisible running throughout the season, starting with Dougie's condition being unremarkable in his work place, kind of reaching a fever pitch with the jail drunk and the crawling, screaming girl at the end of the episode. I'm really curious to see where that line goes.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

HD DAD posted:

I hope when Janey-E finds electrified Coop, there's an extra pair of shoes laying by him.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

LawfulWaffle posted:

So the drunk in the jail cell has only been acknowledged by Chad, right? My theory is that he's the ghost of the parrot that was killed in season 1. I also theorize that Freddie Sykes' destiny was to get James thrown in jail for some reason and that he's gonna bite a bullet once Cooper and Richard show up. The woman who opens the door to Phillip's room is credited as "Bosomy Woman" and is played by a man. I believe that "Judy" refers to Major Garland Briggs, and Phillip won't talk about him in front of Cooper because he knows that Cooper eventually splits into Bad Cooper. Bad Cooper has already been asking for information about Garland from Ray.

There's a strange theme of being invisible running throughout the season, starting with Dougie's condition being unremarkable in his work place, kind of reaching a fever pitch with the jail drunk and the crawling, screaming girl at the end of the episode. I'm really curious to see where that line goes.

point 1 - I really like this theory, it makes total sense except for the 'Judy' Garland link being a bit tenuous. But It makes enough sense I'm going to believe it.

point 2 - Good call. But I'd say that theme goes back further, to episode 1 with Mother and the Box. In fact, I'd say the theme isn't 'invisibility' but 'being seen'. This could then be tied further into the possible metaanalysis of the work as a TV Show. there are going to be some solid essays about this show when it's all said and done.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Basticle posted:

I found it via a video youtube really wanted me to watch of Chrysta Bell performing this song that you should definitely not watch

Ah dang, I actually thought that was a really great performance of that song.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's a great point about Baby Coop turning the fork around being the first time he figures out a problem without being directed.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Basticle posted:

Forget the Roadhouse, if Bowie had lived I bet he would have given an amazing performance of this song, and it would have even made some plot sense for him to be in the red room. I can almost hear him perform it in his Blackstar voice. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Basticle posted:

I love this scene so much