Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
Yes agreed, also Jamie banging Brienne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Did you guys ever imagine an ending that wasn't a Pyrrhic victory?

The big explosion seems fine to me, I don't know.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
They're fake. They contradict themselves about Howland Reed being killed then being alive, Jaime's motivations, pretty crucially that Daenerys can't get pregnant, and the biggest for me is that they don't even mention the Night King's death or who kills him and how, arguably the most important detail if we're going by the amount of effort put into building him as a villain. It's essentially "The Night King died on the way back to his home planet."

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
Yeah i hope your right, and i kinda suspect they are fake.

For me though this season has really underlined how tricky it will be for GRRM to realistically finish the books, the teleporting, plot armour, forced reunions all show that wrapping this up is gonna be a bitch, and im more pessimistic than ever that the books will ever be finished.

Didnt he say that he wants his notes burnt if he dies, which if that is true is the biggest oval office move someone in that position could make.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Chickenwalker posted:

They're fake. They contradict themselves about Howland Reed being killed then being alive, Jaime's motivations, pretty crucially that Daenerys can't get pregnant, and the biggest for me is that they don't even mention the Night King's death or who kills him and how, arguably the most important detail if we're going by the amount of effort put into building him as a villain. It's essentially "The Night King died on the way back to his home planet."

Supposedly, they are a retelling(from memory?) by someone who has read the scripts. It's not really surprising that they are not perfect. Also, the pregnancy is coming 100%, it's being foreshadowed so loving hard it hurts. They have not writing this weird, out-of-place Tyrion scene talking about heirs for nothing.

hitchensgoespop posted:

If they are true ( and i kinda think/hope that they arent) then it will prove 2 things, one wrapping up the ever expanding story is tougher than you think and maybe thats why GRRM hasnt finished yet, because its impossible to do so convincingly and secondly, D&D really started to show their colours when they had less and less of GRRMS source material to go off

The problem with this explanation is that people in this thread are coming up with better resolutions to all these "writing problems" on the fly, on tiny phone screens, as we sit on our toilets, in our buses or our work meetings. Even the laziest and dumbest of writers should have been able to come up with a "Danny/Melisandre sees a vision of the battle with the NK in her dreams or flames and sends herself/Danny up north". It's lazy and cliché, but at least it makes loving sense and works. The Gendry running to Eastwatch plot has absolutely zero excuse of existing, it doesn't add anything to this show.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
In that case i kinda doubt that someone could re tell a whole seasons worth of scripts in that much detail from memory.

My suspicion is that theres some truth in them but its a few people removed from the original source and its broad strokes fleshed out with gaps filled in.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
If they don't have an explanation for why the Others are doing what they are doing, it will be annoying but unsurprising. Which means we will never get a resolution, such a subversion of blah blah. Fat man will die, Brandon Sanderson will finish it, Space Jesus will save the day with peace and polygamy. It is known.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
I also think that what actually brings down the wall is Tormund and Brienne finally getting it on in eastwatch.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Those spoilers are so loving terrible and show no thematic consistency at all, it's just "a bunch of poo poo happens", so perfect for this show I guess.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Chickenwalker posted:

To be fair that contradiction makes them seem more real since the "true" spoilers had that a bit. It's likely deliberate, because surely if you'd written fan fiction and posted it as spoilers you'd remember what you'd said?

The whole show is fan fiction at this point though, who loving cares. Empire rolls up and gives this episode 5/5 for some reason.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I wonder if the dreadful scores E6 got even in mainstream reviews had to do with reviewers having a week to digest it and mull over it instead of having to blast their poo poo out inside of minutes after broadcast.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah I don't think that minor inconsistencies and a big missing scene are proof that these are fake either way but I'm not gonna convince anyone so whatever.

We'll start getting confirmations or contradictions in the next few months.

Not that I'm averse to sperging about fan fiction either way.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I'll go with my feeling: last season spoliers felt real, these ones feel like a not so good prank

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Collateral posted:

Fat man will die, Brandon Sanderson will finish it, Space Jesus will save the day with peace and polygamy. It is known.

excited for every character to come with 30 pages of spell lists and combo instruction manuals instead of 30 pages of geneology

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Decius posted:

I wonder if the dreadful scores E6 got even in mainstream reviews had to do with reviewers having a week to digest it and mull over it instead of having to blast their poo poo out inside of minutes after broadcast.

This week at least even the Guardian has said "It's really rushed".

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Are you serious? We got not-LenaHeady walking naked through King's Landing and being bombarded with poo poo only one or two seasons ago.

She's the villain you loving idiot.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Arguably so is Dany nowadays. By deeds if not by story intention.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So does the Wight dragon still breath fire? Wouldn't that kill it? Some article said it breathes "cold", but then how does it melt the wall?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Magic

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
When a cold thing meets a colder thing they cancel each other out.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Decius posted:

It's not even arguable. Dany is clearly the villain. She's the one doing an invasion of a place she knows nothing about killing thousands just so she can be queen. She's the one burning POWs alive. Not even the Freys killed prisoners.

Maybe someone can argue that there's two villains or everyone is poo poo but Dany is definitely as bad as anyone on the show now.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

hitchensgoespop posted:

If they are true ( and i kinda think/hope that they arent) then it will prove 2 things, one wrapping up the ever expanding story is tougher than you think and maybe thats why GRRM hasnt finished yet, because its impossible to do so convincingly and secondly, D&D really started to show their colours when they had less and less of GRRMS source material to go off

It's really not that difficult to wrap this up at the stage of the story they're in.

This is a story with a big supernatural villain and a big supernatural army, practically every main character is on the same side now, and the few human villains remaining are banded together.

The obvious thing to do, and which they absolutely will do, is end it with a big battle against the Night King where many/most of the main characters die.

Whether that's executed well is another story. But there's really no difficulty in figuring out how to end this, at this point.

Having it end with the main characters dying fighting Euron in order to take the Iron Throne is not bad writing. It would actually take real effort to consciously steer the direction of the story away from where its obviously going, to some other place, just because.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Aug 22, 2017

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Decius posted:

Intention is all that matters here if what we're trying to figure out is whether spoilers are true or not.

It's clear that the people making the show think Daenerys is not only a hero, but 'cool' and 'awesome'.

Like someone else said, how do these plot points sound believable to anyone who saw the 'generic fantasy' that was last episode?

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 22, 2017

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Euron taking over the iron throne actually makes sense. the reason being that Aryas 4 loving years of training has to have a payoff bigger than killing Freys no one cares about.

so the only other person she can kill is cersei , and doing that would effectively end the whole human vs human war unless she's replaced by someone as bad or worse. and that leaves euron and qyburn. I don't think there's even another named character on her side once Jamie and bronn leave

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

Euron taking over the iron throne actually makes sense. the reason being that Aryas 4 loving years of training has to have a payoff bigger than killing Freys no one cares about.

so the only other person she can kill is cersei , and doing that would effectively end the whole human vs human war unless she's replaced by someone as bad or worse. and that leaves euron and qyburn. I don't think there's even another named character on her side once Jamie and bronn leave

You just have Euron die before Cersei.

Obviously killing Cersei ends the human-vs-human war, that's the point. The show is ending. The war has to end. Preferably before they fight the monsters they've been building up for 7 years.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 22, 2017

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Tormund kills Jaime in a jealous rage after he hears about Jaime and Brienne. Arya wears Jaime's face, fulfilling the volonqar prophesy.

Alternatively, Cersei dies during her miscarriage, leaving a very lame excuse for a volonqar as Jaime is the one who knocked her up.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
See, the fLeaks actually made sense to me because the Euron bits felt like a big epilogue, the War for the Dawn was won, Arya took her revenge, the hound found his peace, etc etc, now you just have one final bad guy to take out and 60% of the episode is dedicated to farewells and junk.

A classic video game setup. Euron is not the big bad, he's just kind of there, like Saruman at the end of RoTK.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

FogHelmut posted:

Tormund kills Jaime in a jealous rage after he hears about Jaime and Brienne. Arya wears Jaime's face, fulfilling the volonqar prophesy.

Alternatively, Cersei dies during her miscarriage, leaving a very lame excuse for a volonqar as Jaime is the one who knocked her up.

Also the fetus will look like tyrion. This will be pointed out in a series of scenes starring qyburn.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Pedro De Heredia posted:

The complete and utter lack of self-awareness is so delicious :allears:

They would never kill Ned and show his rotting head on a pike, he is the main good guy!
They would never kill Rob& Cat, they are the main good guys!
They would never kill Oberyn and show his skull getting crushed in all detail, he is one of the main good guys!
repeat ad nauseam

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

See, the fLeaks actually made sense to me because the Euron bits felt like a big epilogue, the War for the Dawn was won, Arya took her revenge, the hound found his peace, etc etc, now you just have one final bad guy to take out and 60% of the episode is dedicated to farewells and junk.

A classic video game setup. Euron is not the big bad, he's just kind of there, like Saruman at the end of RoTK.

Saruman is not there at the end of LotR films, which are probably a better comparison to GoT than LotR books.

Pretty much every single mainstream big budget spectacle that resembles Game of Thrones ends with a big confrontation against a big enemy, not with an 'epilogue' where someone fights a lesser enemy.

It does not make sense.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

JBP posted:

Gendry is gonna MGTOW and marry his hammer.

I think the Hound lost his hammer.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
OTOH GoT has a very specific formula where "poo poo happens at the penultimate episode, gets wrapped up on the finale". So... idk?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pedro De Heredia posted:

You just have Euron die before Cersei.

Obviously killing Cersei ends the human-vs-human war, that's the point. The show is ending. The war has to end. Preferably before they fight the monsters they've been building up for 7 years.

my point is Arya needs to kill cersei because otherwise 4 god drat years of Aryas plot is for nothing

and having the final victory be one assassin involving pretty much no one else isnt epic or cool or whatever else the writers would think

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

The complete and utter lack of self-awareness is so delicious :allears:

They would never kill Ned and show his rotting head on a pike, he is the main good guy!
They would never kill Rob& Cat, they are the main good guys!
They would never kill Oberyn and show his skull getting crushed in all detail, he is one of the main good guys!
repeat ad nauseam

This is an incredibly dumb way of looking at it. Those characters aren't the main good guys.

The series plays with your perception and your understanding of who the typical good guys are, and what their typical fates might be, plays with your expectations and then pulls the rug from under you, and it works great with things like Ned, Robb, Cat. It's a great trick. But it's not just a trick, it's careful craft. At the same time as the series is killing off these 'main characters' (who, as it turns out, are not actually the main characters), it's building up the real main characters, who are every bit as untouchable as your average main character in a story. It becomes obvious pretty quickly that Jon and Daenerys have a priviledged position in the narrative (due to location and general role in the overall storyline), they are the main characters and they are not going to die anytime soon.

The obvious evidence of this is that when Jon Snow dies, no one really believes he's actually dead, even though the show has killed 'main characters' before. We don't believe he's dead because we understand his position in the story is fundamentally different than Robb's, Ned's, Cat's, etc.

There's no trick to pull anymore. Jon and Dany are the main characters; there's only 7 episodes left or so out of 70something. That doesn't mean they're not going to die (I'm fairly confident they both will), but it means that sidelining Daenerys from the action, then killing her off while giving birth, and then having her body flung with poo poo in the last episode of the show is completely different than any of the things you're mentioning.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
all you doubters are going to have egg on your face in two years!!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

mastershakeman posted:

all you doubters are going to have egg on your face in two years!!

if those spoilers turn up real I swear Ill film myself smashing an egg at my own forehead and post here

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

my point is Arya needs to kill cersei because otherwise 4 god drat years of Aryas plot is for nothing

and having the final victory be one assassin involving pretty much no one else isnt epic or cool or whatever else the writers would think

Yes, and my point is that Arya killing Cersei has no bearing on whether Euron becomes king or not, because he can just die earlier.

That's one of the things that rings most false in the spoilers, that Jamie is just hanging around after Cersei is dead, having some fight and killing Euron by stabbing him in the back. It makes his story be all for nothing too.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Yes, and my point is that Arya killing Cersei has no bearing on whether Euron becomes king or not, because he can just die earlier.

That's one of the things that rings most false in the spoilers, that Jamie is just hanging around after Cersei is dead, having some fight and killing Euron by stabbing him in the back. It makes his story be all for nothing too.

It just means that Jaime chose honor.

Not the horse.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Something like half the people on her list have already been killed by other people, wouldn't make much of a difference. Arya is a lovely excuse for an assassin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

SimonCat posted:

I think the Hound lost his hammer.

You'd have to be a big oval office to lose another man's hammer.

• Locked thread