Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regretful Humming
Apr 27, 2015

bull3964 posted:

It never wipes your phone to join the beta program. If you leave and you aren't on final software, it has to wipe to downgrade versions. However, since opting into the program will install final software right now, you can safely leave immediately after you are installed and stay put on that version.

That's good to know. Thank you very much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
The new Ambient Display is pretty nice. Instead of just turning on your lockscreen, it now works more like Moto where it just shows the time and the icons for your notifications while the rest of the screen remains off, and you have to double-tap the screen or turn it on normally to get to the lockscreen.

edit: and it seems to work when picking your phone up way more reliably than it did in Nougat.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Did that on my 6P for nougat and it hosed up future OTAs for me. Didn't notice until I was like 5 security patches behind. Ended up having to flash the current version; the build I was on wasn't even listed on the factory image repository. I'll just wait for the official OTA. :(

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I finally did a manual sideload flash update for my Nexus 6 "Shamu." Pretty much my first time using Terminal command prompt and might be the scariest thing I've ever done on my mac. I have no clue why google made it so complicated to just get a drat update. Glad I finally have the August security update instead of being stuck 5 months behind.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

The new Ambient Display is pretty nice. Instead of just turning on your lockscreen, it now works more like Moto where it just shows the time and the icons for your notifications while the rest of the screen remains off, and you have to double-tap the screen or turn it on normally to get to the lockscreen.

edit: and it seems to work when picking your phone up way more reliably than it did in Nougat.

Ambient display is one of two things keeping me on my MXP, so this is extremely good news to me. Y'all can talk about fingerprint scanners being amazing all you want, but once you get used to picking up your phone or simply pulling it out of your pocket and having the time/notifications displayed without having to touch the phone at all it's really difficult to give that up. Does it just display notifications, or can you interact with them at all? One of my favorite things about active display is touching a music/podcast app and dragging up to pause/skip, but that might be too close to ripping Motorola off wholesale for Google.

Dual front speakers are the other thing keeping me on this at the moment but it's more of a really nice thing to have than a must have feature. Don't need Bluetooth speakers if my phone is just that loud! :eng101:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Neat. Waking my phone up while something is playing via PiP still causes a instant reboot.

gg Google

You can disable PiP on a per app basis though. Settings -> Apps -> YouTube -> Advanced

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Neat. Waking my phone up while something is playing via PiP still causes a instant reboot.

gg Google

You can disable PiP on a per app basis though. Settings -> Apps -> YouTube -> Advanced

:negative:

Android Bug Tracker on Aug 7 posted:

Marked as Fixed
Our engineering team has fixed this issue. It will be available in a future Android release, so please keep an eye on the release notes.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

sirbeefalot posted:

Did that on my 6P for nougat and it hosed up future OTAs for me. Didn't notice until I was like 5 security patches behind. Ended up having to flash the current version; the build I was on wasn't even listed on the factory image repository. I'll just wait for the official OTA. :(

This happened to me as well for 7.1 I think. As the beta and OTA release had different version numbers. I got stuck on a dead branch. I didn't have to flash, but re-enroll in the beta at 7.1.2 to fix it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

god damnit

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Still can't completely hide the apps running in the background notification, boo

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008

butt dickus posted:

I did the "enroll in the beta then unenroll" trick to get the OTA right away. Got it on both my XL and C.
https://www.google.com/android/beta

Update just disappears after downloading halfway for me :argh:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Is there a way to make quick settings not white because it's seriously annoying at night

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Dirty Needles posted:

Update just disappears after downloading halfway for me :argh:

I had the same thing, maybe happens if you unenroll whilst it updates?

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
Holy gently caress the new android icons are ugly. Why they decided to move away from the cute little paper versions I'll never know. They don't match any other apps and as Google is unable to finish anything b they don't even match each other.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Wrist Watch posted:

Does it just display notifications, or can you interact with them at all? One of my favorite things about active display is touching a music/podcast app and dragging up to pause/skip, but that might be too close to ripping Motorola off wholesale for Google.

You can't interact with the screen at all. It shows the time and tiny notification icons, but touching the screen does nothing unless it's a double-tap.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

hottubrhymemachine posted:

Holy gently caress the new android icons are ugly. Why they decided to move away from the cute little paper versions I'll never know. They don't match any other apps and as Google is unable to finish anything b they don't even match each other.

Looked at my list of apps and I think I have 3 different styles of icons. By the time everything has those new round icons Google will have introduced another new design

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

ugh whatever jeez posted:

Looked at my list of apps and I think I have 3 different styles of icons. By the time everything has those new round icons Google will have introduced another new design

Yeah look at this screenshot I just took. Stock Google icons and the default 8.0 wallpaper:

What happened to Material Design? It's such a mess. Luckily Nova and icon packs exist but that takes ages to get right and isn't something I should be spending my time on just to have a consistent and pleasant looking phone.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They realised that nobody was following Material Design guidelines for third party app icons on Android because Samsung dominates the market and has their own whole icon style, so huge numbers of apps were just going with them instead. So they tried to come up with some horrible compromise that could be adjusted to both Google Style and Samsung Style and it's pretty awful looking.

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos
Is it worth getting an s8 if I am coming from a moto x pure (2015, needs to be restarted twice a day for data to work)? I have always had stock android, but Motorola is poo poo now so I don't think I want anything from them.

I have the option of getting the s8 for $300 off with that trade in deal for an unlocked one. Is the wait worth it for newest Google phones?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

sparticus posted:

I have the option of getting the s8 for $300 off with that trade in deal for an unlocked one. Is the wait worth it for newest Google phones?

I'll say it's worth getting the Pixel 2 and so will this thread, but to be fair, we all think Samsung are poo poo and annoying and crud up their phones. (In our defense, they are and they do)

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

hottubrhymemachine posted:

Yeah look at this screenshot I just took. Stock Google icons and the default 8.0 wallpaper:

What happened to Material Design? It's such a mess. Luckily Nova and icon packs exist but that takes ages to get right and isn't something I should be spending my time on just to have a consistent and pleasant looking phone.

What device are you on? Did you change the icon style to square? Because that's what it's set to.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I guess Android O is going to be my test to see if Essential can back up their promises of fast update rollouts. If they have O ready when they start shipping to consumers I would be pleasantly surprised and might actually start considering it. Otherwise I'm holding out for what we see out of Pixel 2.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

They put the maps/now notifications on a diet, but only managed to point out that you only need half the space for some of that poo poo lol.

E: oh my, looks like certain notifications can be color-filled based on what (I'm guessing) the app chooses for a background color e.g. pocketcasts.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 22, 2017

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos

MikeJF posted:

I'll say it's worth getting the Pixel 2 and so will this thread, but to be fair, we all think Samsung are poo poo and annoying and crud up their phones. (In our defense, they are and they do)

When is the Pixel event so we know what they are including in it? Or did they not announce anything yet.

I really hate phone shopping. I got burned by Motorola/Lenovo with their poo poo promises.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

sparticus posted:

Or did they not announce anything yet.

Nothing is announced yet. All we can do is guess based on prior years so it's likely early October, but it could be whenever because Google.

Other things at a hardware event that are likely:

1) Google branded headphones with built in assistant support
2) A smaller, cheaper, google home (like the echo dot) so you can fill your house with them
3) A Chromebook Pixel successor that's a convertible with touchscreen. This is likely the "Eve" that's been showing up in the source code.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I have the MXP2015 as well and I've only had it for just over a year, I'm 100% ready to jump ship... Just not to any of the options at their current price points, given that all of the good ones are a year to 6 months old.

I'm hesitant to dime in on another 'good enough' $300 Motorola phone because that's what got me where I am, as good a value as the G5+ seems. I'm waiting to see what the Pixel 2 brings, even if that means I scoop up an original Pixel on the cheap in it's wake.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
I will never not buy a Pixel or Apple device again.

This Saturday, I bought a LG G6 at $500 thinking that it was the sweet spot in price for a flagship that felt like something out of the iPhone 4/4S build quality camp. I return home to a consistent band of condensation internal to the display. It lingered along a very distinct splotch of grime that was left from the manufacturing process, so I did what anyone would do and went back to the store to replace it.

The new LG G6 is just...weird. Built one month before the previous device with the grime issue, it started feeling immediately and unusually hot. Then it started heating to 68-70C in my pocket. Turned it off and reported it to LG, and I'm waiting for a response. Also, check out the weird build standards in the image below:

The G6 at top was the original that I purchased on Saturday of the prior weekend. Look how its topmost chamfer running along the screen differs from the replacement unit on the bottom? I kept telling the T-Mobile rep that something was odd about the replacement...These two units were built only a month apart. One was built with dirty hands, and one overheats to dangerous temperatures.

LG is bad.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Lol if you read this thread why would you have ever purchased a literal garbage phone

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

A Bad King posted:

I will never not buy a Pixel or Apple device again.

This Saturday, I bought a LG G6 at $500 thinking that it was the sweet spot in price for a flagship that felt like something out of the iPhone 4/4S build quality camp. I return home to a consistent band of condensation internal to the display. It lingered along a very distinct splotch of grime that was left from the manufacturing process, so I did what anyone would do and went back to the store to replace it.

The new LG G6 is just...weird. Built one month before the previous device with the grime issue, it started feeling immediately and unusually hot. Then it started heating to 68-70C in my pocket. Turned it off and reported it to LG, and I'm waiting for a response. Also, check out the weird build standards in the image below:

The G6 at top was the original that I purchased on Saturday of the prior weekend. Look how its topmost chamfer running along the screen differs from the replacement unit on the bottom? I kept telling the T-Mobile rep that something was odd about the replacement...These two units were built only a month apart. One was built with dirty hands, and one overheats to dangerous temperatures.

LG is bad.

And people wonder why the news of LG building the next pixel was received so poorly.

Samsung is still the worst but LG is a close second in the "factory fuckups" category. That's my main worry with the Pixel 2.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Literally a Gamble.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Blue Train posted:

Lol if you read this thread why would you have ever purchased a literal garbage phone

My V20 was actually nice. I gave it to my MIL and thought, "I had a Nexus 5, which was made by LG and was nice." They also have a 2-year warranty on new devices. Perhaps like many of those early-2000s Hyundai buyers, since they believe in their product now perhaps I should too.

Haha, I'm an idiot.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

sleepwalkers posted:

What device are you on? Did you change the icon style to square? Because that's what it's set to.

Where do you change that, mine are square and I have not changed anything other than updating to 8.0...

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
The "Stock Android™ (by Google)" which runs on Nexus 5X/6P is a different OS from the "Google, Powered by Android" running on Pixel Devices.

Stock Android™ has square adaptive icons on Oreo, Google™ has circle adaptive icons on Oreo.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

ugh whatever jeez posted:

Where do you change that, mine are square and I have not changed anything other than updating to 8.0...

Oh weird, the option seems to have disappeared from the Oreo Pixel launcher... in earlier dev previews, you could opt to change icon shapes.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Vagrancy posted:

The "Stock Android™ (by Google)" which runs on Nexus 5X/6P is a different OS from the "Google, Powered by Android" running on Pixel Devices.

Stock Android™ has square adaptive icons on Oreo, Google™ has circle adaptive icons on Oreo.

The pixel uses its own launcher with its own icon setting. The OS is the same.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Taffer posted:

The pixel uses its own launcher with its own icon setting. The OS is the same.

You don't get round icons if you run the Pixel Launcher on another device.

e: Which is lame as gently caress because I want round icons all the time everywhere.

\/\/\/
The stock launcher is good and I don't want to janitor my phone.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 22, 2017

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
I don't know why you wouldn't run Nova Launcher instead of Pixel Launcher.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ragingsheep posted:

I don't know why you wouldn't run Nova Launcher instead of Pixel Launcher.

I like Action Launcher :shrug:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Taffer posted:

The OS is the same.

It's not though. That's what makes the Pixel special. Nexus devices are ASOP on hardware. Pixel devices have as much custom work going into the ROM as any other OEM, just with a focus on performance rather than skinning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

I like Action Launcher :shrug:

That's fine. It's just if you wanted Pixel Launcher, you can make Nova do everything Pixel does and more.