Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

GhostDog posted:

Also, if anyone followed that whole thing, the reaction to the winner of the Assetto Corsa Ferrari DLC poll was exquisite forum theatre.

Go on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

GhostDog posted:

I'm thinking about a bigger overhaul of the OP once the two big releases are out this year (pCars 2 and F1 2017) but I'm wondering how much effort it is even worth. Did anyone, especially newcomers, actually read it and found it helpful? Maybe it's better to actually cut it down and link to external resources? Some feedback would be appreciated.

I think it can do with being cut down a lot, the FFB stuff with the graphs and poo poo can probably go. Just drop it to the games stuff, recommended wheels and cockpits/stands and links to some video guides for the actual driving.

GhostDog posted:

Also, if anyone followed that whole thing, the reaction to the winner of the Assetto Corsa Ferrari DLC poll was exquisite forum theatre.

I want to know more about this, I couldn't find anything on the AC forums but given the winner of the poll was none of the actual interesting cars and was instead the loving new F1 car I can imagine there was some funny poo poo going on.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

njsykora posted:

I want to know more about this, I couldn't find anything on the AC forums but given the winner of the poll was none of the actual interesting cars and was instead the loving new F1 car I can imagine there was some funny poo poo going on.

I found this on the racedepartment forums: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/2017-ferrari-sf70h-coming-to-assetto-corsa.138183/

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

GhostDog posted:

I'm thinking about a bigger overhaul of the OP once the two big releases are out this year (pCars 2 and F1 2017) but I'm wondering how much effort it is even worth. Did anyone, especially newcomers, actually read it and found it helpful? Maybe it's better to actually cut it down and link to external resources? Some feedback would be appreciated.

I found OP really helpful when I was choosing which games to buy (although I ended up with most of them anyway :v:) and when I was looking to buy a proper wheel.

Since I was asking about it back then I'll report that I ended up with Thrustmaster T300, it's great, works great and hasn't burned down my house yet. I did end up buying F1 rim for it and wish it would have come with it out of the box, much prefer it to standard rim.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

njsykora posted:

The final classic cars for F1 2017 came out and boy has this been the biggest wet fart set of announcements. The 1988 MP4/4 is the oldest of the lot, and the only H-pattern one. So no turbo Lotus, no 60s Mercs, no 70s Ferrari's. All just downforce sequentials from the late 90s and 2000s.

I'm glad I have F1 2013 with the classic content DLC.
I bought a t300 RS GT since my last post and have been running hotlaps around Brands Hatch in the 100t to dial in my configs

Also I just noticed that the 100t hits 5BAR but the season restriction was 2.5. I wonder if the 4/4 will

Hollenhammer fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jul 22, 2017

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The new rF2 dev update actually goes into the competition structure thing they were talking about as soon as 397 took over. Basically the idea is to run online like iRacing, with 397 run events and sanctioned leagues giving licence points and player rating, and a penalty system to penalise off tracks and dangerous driving, but done through time penalties rather than a safety rating. Also they're doing the McLaren 650 GT3, and apparently that's gonna be part of a pack of cars (ie, it's gonna be a GT3 pack).

Most importantly though they're changing the setup screen to have words explaining what changing poo poo actually does, and marking stuff you've changed since you last saved the setup which is something every game should have.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

An actually informative UI in a sim game? The gently caress is this poo poo?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Oh poo poo.. I wonder if I own RF2 or not if they set up online poo poo decently I'd either reinstall or buy it. I suck at road but wonder if they'll do ovals.. I'd do road if it wasnt' $15 a month.. I find myself buying 3 monts of iracing and racing for around 3 weeks before I Get fed up.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There are a fair few oval leagues in rF2, I wouldn't be surprised if some of them got sanctioned status since the 3rd party affiliate program ISI ran to populate the game with more ovals (most of which were kinda bad mod conversions) gave it a decent pile of ovals. That they have Zandvoort close to completion and apparently have more tracks close to being announced is encouraging given how that's the crippling shortcoming of rF2 right now.

Also I like that they're calling the tire model on the Radical the new standard one, since that car is easy to drive and the usual forum suspects loving hate it because they think it's DUMBED DOWN ARCADE PHYSICS and not just that entry level sports prototypes are easy to drive. Also reading through the update again I noticed the McLaren is going to be the first bit of paid DLC.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 22, 2017

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

tater_salad posted:

Oh poo poo.. I wonder if I own RF2 or not if they set up online poo poo decently I'd either reinstall or buy it. I suck at road but wonder if they'll do ovals.. I'd do road if it wasnt' $15 a month.. I find myself buying 3 monts of iracing and racing for around 3 weeks before I Get fed up.

If you have not already transferred your RF2 license to Steam, it may be too late: https://commerce.rfactor.net/steam-transfer-form

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

njsykora posted:

Also they're doing the McLaren 650 GT3, and apparently that's gonna be part of a pack of cars (ie, it's gonna be a GT3 pack).

I HOPE this is what they meant, and it would be awesome. They also said they are working on some big track projects; I wonder have the finally got a licence for a series so we get a car pack and track pack thats not just a random mish-mash of stuff.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That was the idea when they took over, they said they want to do more like RaceRoom does and have multiple cars that can race each other rather than having a load of single car series' or just a random assortment of cars.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

osker posted:

If you have not already transferred your RF2 license to Steam, it may be too late: https://commerce.rfactor.net/steam-transfer-form

I dont own it yet.

Also I love racing nerds.. doesn't drive like it's on ice, bad tire model.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 24, 2017

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

CactusWeasle posted:

I HOPE this is what they meant, and it would be awesome. They also said they are working on some big track projects; I wonder have the finally got a licence for a series so we get a car pack and track pack thats not just a random mish-mash of stuff.

So sort of to answer my own questions here, as stated in the S397 discord

- McLaren out August 1st or 2nd, and a price of 4.99.
- There will be an official GT pack, possibly an option of buying cars seperately, news of those in the coming weeks
- Some laser scanned tracks in the works

I'm pretty happy. I'm not fussed at all about laser scanning but new tracks is a good thing, and licenced GT cars

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If they're calling it a GT pack and not a GT3 pack I'm curious if there's going to be GT4 cars coming too, as McLaren have the 570 and rF2 already has the Nissan 370z which is badly in need of an update. Laser scanning less surprising, that data is becoming more and more easily available to the point where I think some tracks hand it over as part of their licensing package.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Laser scanning is good to me because it means I can pick up a new sim and jump right in if they have laser scanned stuff too, iracing and Asetto versions of the Nords spring to mind, I was familiar with it from Assetto and jumped right into races in iracing with no problem.
I still suck but I can keep it on track and do OK

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
You have the Nordchielfe in iRacing? look at mister money bags over here.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I have every track in iRacing because I'm a big stupid idiot

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
If you're not a big stupid idiot and have iRacing but don't like spending money tonight's Gooncar is in 30 minutes and it's at Daytona Oval 2007 (FREE) in the Cadillac CTS-V (FREE) so you have no excuse not to come race with a bunch of idiots.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Sim Racing Paddock has one hell of a find, they spotted a job posting on the Formula E site for a Gaming Product Manager. It mentions working with Studio 397 specifically and working with teams and the series to pass over car and track data, so people are wondering if this means rF2 might end up getting all the cars and tracks of the 2017/18 season.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
That would be worthy of a title in itself, quite a move from S397.

I bet the massive Cloudsport fiasco over Vegas helped them secure that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The 650 is available here since finding it through Steam is kinda hard, £4.50 or just buy the GT3 pack for £13.40. Apparently going to be 5 cars in that pack including the 650. RD also got some interesting quotes from Marcel about future plans, most interestingly that they'd work with mod teams to get their poo poo licensed.

quote:

We plan to open up this item store to third party paid content too, obviously making sure that content meets certain quality standards, is not ripped, properly licensed, etc (and we can work with people to achieve that)

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0Fx-uvSgH0

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I can't stop laughing at that loving mod.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
http://assettocorsa.club/mods/auto/honda-racing-lawn-mower.html#en

Edit: http://assettocorsa.club/mods/auto/ford-f350-stair-truck.html#en

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 2, 2017

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Norns posted:

I can't stop laughing at that loving mod.

They should make this a new rule in F1

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do F1 races like the isle of man sidecar races? Have the other person scrambling all over the car to give the best balance.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Cojawfee posted:

Do F1 races like the isle of man sidecar races? Have the other person scrambling all over the car to give the best balance.

Or have it like musical statues so if your dude hanging on moves you're out

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

They do sidecar races as support for British Superbikes and they rule.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I've just bought all these:

https://sellfy.com/racesimstudio

They are very cool, downloaded a load of skins for them too, I love formula cars so this is pretty much heaven to me

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Anybody looking forward to F1 2017 this Friday?

Green Man Gaming has it on sale

Wirth1000 posted:

If anyone is buying F1 2017 buy it here.

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/f1-2017-special-edition/

15% off plus another 10% off with a voucher code on that very page.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I liked the driving in 2016 well enough and unlike the other sims there's an actual "game" in there, but in the end stopped playing it because the FFB (like all Codemasters games) is garbage (EDIT: well, subpar at least), the graphics look bad on my "monitor too close to face" setup because the AA is the worst I have ever seen, and a host of smaller issues like the insanely terrible UI.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Aug 22, 2017

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

GhostDog posted:

I liked the driving in 2016 well enough and unlike the other sims there's an actual "game" in there, but in the end stopped playing it because the FFB (like all Codemasters games) is garbage (EDIT: well, subpar at least), the graphics look bad on my "monitor too close to face" setup because the AA is the worst I have ever seen, and a host of smaller issues like the insanely terrible UI.

I need to try F1 2016 again since I barely played it. Any useful guide out there for how I set up a G27 to feel like it's not complete garbage?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Hey all, just a short question: are there raceroom goons here, is there a raceroom thread somewhere, or a I the only person playing it? tia

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I play some RaceRoom at times, but the AI is a bit iffy sometimes with the cars I like in there and it doesn't run great on my machine.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

njsykora posted:

I play some RaceRoom at times, but the AI is a bit iffy sometimes with the cars I like in there and it doesn't run great on my machine.

They did quite a lot regarding the AI over the past patches, BUT if you have old files regarding adaptive AI it can break things/make the AI behave absolutely lovely. I deleted all the files regarding adaptive AI and "relearned" it (just drive two or three short races, going about your usual pace on a given track) and since then I am having the closest, most nerve racking races I ever had in a sim with adaptive ai on.

Before, I had the AI level at somewhere between 85 on tracks I were completely unfamiliar with (to leave some room for errors on my side and to learn the track better), up to 100 and 110 on tracks I drive permanently and which I also visit in real life. But I actuall completely switched to adaptive AI now...I'm very impressed by it. I mainly drive cars with the new physics model, DTM 2016, GT3 (M6, McLaren) and sometimes the new F1 cars, but also very often the classic DTM cars, especially around the Nordschleife.

Couple a weeks ago I had the opportunity to chat with Daniel Juncadella, he's also racing in RaceRoom quite often, often still in DTM cars (he doesn't drive in DTM currently). The tips he gave me regarding the DTM setups are awesome. He basically drives an ultra-snappy setup, the car now steers into the corners like never before, but also tends to snap at corner exit if you're sloppy while dailing in the gas. It's super-awesome, and already improved my times in Hockenheim by nearly .8 seconds, but I still didn't master the setup so I can reliantly push it during a whole race without loving it up.

tuo fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 7, 2017

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

I'm a R3E goon, AMA.

First time I tried it I was like 'meh' but I dipped my toes in and bought just one car ('92 Merc Evo) and one track (Nordschleife) and these days it's the only racing sim I play. It still needs stuff that other games have but they're updating it monthly and it's just getting better.

Kilmers Elbow fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Sep 14, 2017

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

tuo posted:

I mainly drive cars with the new physics model, DTM 2016, GT3 (M6, McLaren) and sometimes the new F1 cars, but also very often the classic DTM cars, especially around the Nordschleife.

All the DTMs have been updated to the latest physics now, in fact most classes have (GT3, FRx, WTCC (maybe not 2013)). I think the only classes still waiting for a physics update are the GT2, GT1, Hillclimb - generally the really old stuff.

edit: nope i'm wrong

quote:

DTM 15 is on the 'updated' physics, but the DTM 16 cars that were just released are a further improvement of those. So, DTM 16 is a bit different from DTM 15.

DTM 13 and 14 are on the "old" physics.

https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/dtm-2016.6564/#post-94013

Kilmers Elbow fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Sep 14, 2017

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Jeah, the 92 Classic cars are also still on the old physics model. I still enjoy driven them, at least the Merc and the M3. The Audi has a very strange tire management problem which I still believe is a bug...it destroys the tires unlike any of the other 92 cars, regardless of how you drive it. Since the "real" car wasn't known for this, I think it's a bug.

Gonna check out the new tire options and the new track this weekend!

What cars do you drive most of the time? I'm mostly in the 2016 DTM cars, 92 classic DTM, and sometimes in the GT3 class. Little bit of X17 also, but not too often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The 1992 DTM cars are on the old physics because you don't mess with perfection.