Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

sitchensis posted:

I remember living near a suburban town that had a brand new development that was called "[Town Name] Station". It had a cutesy motif of a railway station. Cast iron decorations, clapboard siding painted red, peaked roofs, platform styled walkways, steam clock. Of course you could only drive to it in order to shop, and the town itself never had a rail service and was not even close to a rail line.

The entire suburban landscape is post-modern.

There's one near us that is exactly like that except it does have a train that stops at it, but because of modern ticketing tech there's no station, just a platform for people to board adjacent to where they park their cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ReidRansom posted:

I grew up not far from their famous "indeterminate facade" store.

I remember thinking as a kid that a hurricane must've done it.

The 'germany 1946' look

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Liquid Communism posted:

Why yes, I too believe that public transport is a realistic option if cities totally revamp how they run and fund it and make massive infrastructure investments. You goddamn simpleton.

Try reading my post before you respond

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Cool article about the assorted BEST store architecture:

https://www.failedarchitecture.com/the-ironic-loss-of-the-postmodern-best-store-facades/

I remember reading about the stores in a Nickelodeon magazine in like 1997 and being really excited when I saw the one in Houston.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Speaking of actual retail, don't malls have to climate control even when they're not open? If you're a mall owner, isn't heating and cooling gigantic mall concourses even when nothing is open a huge expense?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Speaking of actual retail, don't malls have to climate control even when they're not open? If you're a mall owner, isn't heating and cooling gigantic mall concourses even when nothing is open a huge expense?

yeah, being an enclosed building is part of what makes malls go into death spirals because you have a relatively high fixed cost just operating a mall. which is a reason they're becoming less popular vs. just like strip malls or open air malls aka just a traditional shopping street

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And on the other hand, in hot places it's why malls remain popular, because it beats having your own air conditioning going full blast all day, as I've personally experienced.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

illcendiary posted:

Cool article about the assorted BEST store architecture:

https://www.failedarchitecture.com/the-ironic-loss-of-the-postmodern-best-store-facades/

I remember reading about the stores in a Nickelodeon magazine in like 1997 and being really excited when I saw the one in Houston.

The fate of the one in Houston is a sad tale. Evidently it has, or had at one point, appeared in more architecture books than any other modern building, but after BEST went tits up, the new owner of the building some several years later, fearing that its place in architectural history may have led the city to designate it a landmark of some kind, thus limiting future use of the property, abruptly had the iconic facade removed overnight some time back in the 00s. The shell is still there, apparently, but it's just a boring unoccupied box.

But the best BEST store, imo, is one that never got built.

Just look at that thing.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

TyroneGoldstein posted:

I have to wonder if average guys that lay brick/concrete/weld/do anything structural in these projects ever get a kick out of working on something like this. I've always wanted an interview with the work contractors that actually have to put together Frank Gehry's (generally hideous) buildings.

There was a really good 99% invisible podcast about the best stores. One takeaway I had (either from it or from subsequent articles I read) was how much the construction crews said they liked working on them. They were challenging and different compared to the typical boxes they had to build.

On the Frank Gehry side, construction workers cuss him not for the aesthetics, but because he (and his office I guess) just gloss over a lot of details and leave it to the construction crews to figure out how all his silly surfaces are supposed to join.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Gehry (and a lot of the "postmodern" starchitects of today) is an absolute monster to deal with from several directions. And his projects suck. His idea of "postmodern" is "I don't have to worry about how this building will function, it will be a weird shape made of metal, pay me more".

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 21, 2017

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ReidRansom posted:

The fate of the one in Houston is a sad tale. Evidently it has, or had at one point, appeared in more architecture books than any other modern building, but after BEST went tits up, the new owner of the building some several years later, fearing that its place in architectural history may have led the city to designate it a landmark of some kind, thus limiting future use of the property, abruptly had the iconic facade removed overnight some time back in the 00s. The shell is still there, apparently, but it's just a boring unoccupied box.

But the best BEST store, imo, is one that never got built.

Just look at that thing.

This looks like it would be hell if there was precipitation

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Gehry can't design a building that works anyplace that gets colder than 40F.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Neon Noodle posted:

This seems to be a recurring problem for architects. I'm looking your way, Santiago Calatrava. Dude couldn't even design a bridge that worked in low temperatures properly, much less a building.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Neon Noodle posted:

Also any that work anyplace above 40f!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Discendo Vox posted:

Gehry (and a lot of the "postmodern" starchitects of today) is an absolute monster to deal with from several directions. And his projects suck. His idea of "postmodern" is "I don't have to worry about how this building will function, it will be a weird shape made of metal, pay me more".

Well he was at least self-aware enough to make fun of himself in the Simpsons so maybe he's just a very successful bullshit salesman and doesn't care how trash his buildings are as long as people keep paying him to design them?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Gehry is actually a very successful death-laser manufacturer whose marketing department went way off the rails.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
There was an active shooter situation in one of Gehry's galleries. The police got lost trying to get to them. Evacuating bystanders got lost trying to escape.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

There was an active shooter situation in one of Gehry's galleries. The police got lost trying to get to them. Evacuating bystanders got lost trying to escape.

Is it normal to have low-rolling panic attacks at the disney concert hall? Asking for a friend.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yes.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Discendo Vox posted:

Now I'm picturing the shooter getting lost and just wandering around as confused and panicky as everyone else.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Postmodern architecture must be stopped. It always results in ugly, space-wasting death traps. gently caress, look at Grenfell.

On another note, a lot of companies suffering downturns seem to be from chasing the same unicorn: the millennial with money.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

On another note, a lot of companies suffering downturns seem to be from chasing the same unicorn: the millennial with money.

That's an oxymoron if I've ever heard one.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Inescapable Duck posted:

Postmodern architecture must be stopped. It always results in ugly, space-wasting death traps. gently caress, look at Grenfell.

I'm not sure I'd call Brutalism postmodern.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Reveilled posted:

I'm not sure I'd call Brutalism postmodern.

The whole point was that the ultra-flammable cladding was put onto the building at the request of its rich neighbours to make it look less brutalist.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Inescapable Duck posted:

The whole point was that the ultra-flammable cladding was put onto the building at the request of its rich neighbours to make it look less brutalist.

Ah, sorry, I get what you mean now.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
there is no such thing as a millennial with money

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

the old ceremony posted:

there is no such thing as a millennial with money

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
my mum is woke and sometimes i get to listen to her argue with other boomers and it's great

"millennials won't stimulate the economy"
"they have no money"
"they won't patronise good aussie business"
"they have no money"
"they won't support the housing market"
"they. have. no. money."

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I mean, some of us make decent coin. But we're spending most of it on student loans and inflated housing costs.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Noctone posted:

I mean, some of us make decent coin. But we're spending most of it on student loans and inflated housing costs.

Plenty of Millenials make decent money. It is just that the faux-poverty circle jerk is obsessed with talking about how "poor" they are on the internet.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Xae posted:

Plenty of Millenials make decent money. It is just that the faux-poverty circle jerk is obsessed with talking about how "poor" they are on the internet.
i eat nothing but eggs

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Noctone posted:

And experiences rather than things.

And when things, old things rather than new things.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Xae posted:

On the one hand, a dumb opinion. On the other hand, hard data showing how much more unaffordable housing and education are these days. Hmm, which to pick.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You have no idea how many avocado toasts I had to sacrifice to become a homeowner.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

call to action posted:

On the one hand, a dumb opinion. On the other hand, hard data showing how much more unaffordable housing and education are these days. Hmm, which to pick.

Median salary for 25-35 year old is 40k/yr. Which means half of them are making more than that.

Sorry if you're dumb enough to believe that an entire generation is poor, but reality says otherwise.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Xae posted:

Median salary for 25-35 year old is 40k/yr. Which means half of them are making more than that.

Sorry if you're dumb enough to believe that an entire generation is poor, but reality says otherwise.

Sorry if you're too dumb to realize millennials are paying far far higher percentages of their income for housing and student loan debt, and thus have far less disposible income than previous generations. Hth

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Xae posted:

40k isn't really a livable wage for a single person living in the greater Los Angeles / New York / San Francisco / Denver area, not when you factor in outrageous student loan debt that everyone had to take on because society hoisted a Bachelors degree as the minimum standard by which all young people are judged.

Hell 40k is only barely livable in places that aren't super huge or outrageous like Kansas City or Chicago, and that's if you're willing to get an apartment in knife-crime alley.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

GEMorris posted:

Sorry if you're too dumb to realize millennials are paying far far higher percentages of their income for housing and student loan debt, and thus have far less disposible income than previous generations. Hth

CPI includes housing (rent) and education and hasn't had any big jumps lately.

The number just don't support the poverty circlejerk that people engage in.

It is just fashionable to pretend to be poor on the internet.

DeathSandwich posted:

40k isn't really a livable wage for a single person living in the greater Los Angeles / New York / San Francisco / Denver area, not when you factor in outrageous student loan debt that everyone had to take on because society hoisted a Bachelors degree as the minimum standard by which all young people are judged.

Hell 40k is only barely livable in places that aren't super huge or outrageous like Kansas City or Chicago, and that's if you're willing to get an apartment in knife-crime alley.
It is the national average. Feel free to Google up some regional or local stats.

Not everyone lives in those Tier 1 expensive cities either.

Xae fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 22, 2017

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Xae posted:

CPI includes housing (rent) and education and hasn't had any big jumps lately.

The number just don't support the poverty circlejerk that people engage in.

It is just fashionable to pretend to be poor on the internet.

The average cost of tuition per year has tripled and almost quadrupled in some cases over the last 20 years. I'd call that a pretty big loving jump compared to what Gen X or Boomers paid for college.

https://www.usnews.com/education/be...al-universities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Also if you had debt in the 70s inflation pretty much paid it off for you.