Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i would like a Sonic Mania sequel to iterate on their ideas and grow the game's concept out in bigger, more interesting ways instead of just being a carbon-copy sequel with some new levels.

there's a clear growth from sonic 1 to 2 to 3&K to Mania and there's no reason to just stop at Mania and be like "this is good enough, just make this again". im sure the Mania crew has some cool ideas for future stuff now that they've shown Sega that the franchise is in good hands with Mania

does this mean more characters? it might. it could also mean a lot of other things. who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

One thing Mania 2 could definitely improve upon is having better zone transitions, as that was one of the single coolest things about S3&K.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I got really loving high last night and played sonic mania.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kelp Plankton posted:

im sure the Mania crew has some cool ideas for future stuff now that they've shown Sega that the franchise is in good hands with Mania

On the other hand this is Sega, they might decide to contract Sonic Mania 2 to dimps with instructions to make it a hybrid platformer/fishing game.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Sonic Mania was pretty good, but if the next Sonic game after forces has more "reinvented" levels I'm gonna skip it because holy hell am I tired of games relying nostalgia when it's plain to see they could do perfectly well with new content.

Just so long as we don't end up with another Lost World, of course. Imagine Sonic Generations or Mania with all new levels, able to stand entirely on their own.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

I got really loving high last night and played sonic mania.

Only dumbots do drugs.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Screaming Idiot posted:

Sonic Mania was pretty good, but if the next Sonic game after forces has more "reinvented" levels I'm gonna skip it because holy hell am I tired of games relying nostalgia when it's plain to see they could do perfectly well with new content.

yeah next game better be all new.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

My favorite zone (Metallic Madness) might as well have been completely new. There are next to no pieces of level design in it taken directly from CD and the main gimmicks in each act feel really fresh even if tiny sonic was in CD. I seriously can't praise that zone enough.

That said Sega is crazy if they don't give this team the resources they need to make Sonic 5 with entirely new zones

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

gently caress it, stealth patch sonic 4 and rename it something else. Get Mania team on new Sonic 4.

If Lucas could do it, Sega can.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

As far as I'm concerned, Mania IS Sonic 4

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Let Sonic 4 go, guys. In the end it's just a number.

Simulation883
Jan 1, 2007
Hey all. Cool Sonic shirts on sale today only at theyetee: https://theyetee.com/

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

lava reef is doodoo wish they had done hill top or mystic cave.
holy bad takes bat man
Hill Top is like the lamest zone in Sonic 2. It's just re-purposed EHZ tiles and some lava, and a dumb crusher section that I hated as a kid.

Screaming Idiot posted:

I don't really get the beef with re-invented levels. Most of Manias play like entirely new levels, and while they make use of nostalgia, it feels like a really good kind of nostalgia that's more of an exploration of something old then "hey remember that thing?" Like, I find it hard to be opposed to re-invented levels when it meant 200% more levels for Mania. A big point of zone revists was to save on dev time, and even then Mania still missed it's original date.

A game with all new levels would be great, but if it meant only getting 5 or 6 rather then 12 I'd be kind of disappointed. Honestly though, I just want the team to make anything more at this point.

Evil Eagle posted:

My favorite zone (Metallic Madness) might as well have been completely new. There are next to no pieces of level design in it taken directly from CD and the main gimmicks in each act feel really fresh even if tiny sonic was in CD. I seriously can't praise that zone enough.
:yeah: I'm not big on Metallic Madness in CD, so I was disappointed when it came up in Mania, but they did a really great job of it.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Lava Reef zone is amazing gently caress the haters.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Vargatron posted:

Lava Reef is bad

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

holy bad takes bat man
Hill Top is like the lamest zone in Sonic 2. It's just re-purposed EHZ tiles and some lava, and a dumb crusher section that I hated as a kid.

they'd redo it silly.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

TFRazorsaw posted:

I love how suggesting that maybe they could add a fourth character who still has the same basic gameplay as Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles, along with suggesting new power ups, causes people to assume I actually mean what was said above.

Just stagnating and doing the same stuff over and over isn't going to do a potential Mania sequel any favors. Mania is a celebration of what came before, so it works in this context, but do we really want them to just keep moving the same things around?

Yes.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Simulation883 posted:

Hey all. Cool Sonic shirts on sale today only at theyetee: https://theyetee.com/

I bought the Sonic shirt, thanks!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Vargatron posted:

It was amazing... In S3&K. Between Generations, Mania, and Forces, I think they've milked the nostalgia-cow more than enough. Let's see them use that talent for something new.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Honestly, the part that feels most egregious to me in Mania as "putting old stuff in for the sake of having it" is Mirage Saloon Act 1. I know I defended it earlier in the thread, but while I have no problem with the GAMEPLAY, it... it really exists just to have Sky Chase in the game, doesn't it? Like, that's all it adds. It's Sky Chase for the sake of having Sky Chase and doesn't really innovate or build on the idea of a Sky Chase style level like the new versions of stuff like Chemical Plant Zone do.

And then Knuckles has his own normal Act 1 and I'm just... that's nice but I'm wondering why they bothered. It's just kind of there. It sure is Sky Chase with a wild west coat of paint. It feels like the shallowest part of the game, and while it doesn't really drag the title down for me, I hope it's not something that'd be repeated, in any case.

If nothing else, a Mania sequel needs to spend a bit more time curating what stuff it decides to bring back.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

they'd redo it silly.

That doesn't change it's pretty dull looking on the base line, a re-do can only improve it so much before it feels unfamiliar. Lava Reef looks cool on a base level and Mania made it even cooler looking.

Then again, I'm sure the Mania team could make it good regardless, though I might rather to see them do their own take on the level theme as an original level.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

Honestly, the part that feels most egregious to me in Mania as "putting old stuff in for the sake of having it" is Mirage Saloon Act 1. I know I defended it earlier in the thread, but while I have no problem with the GAMEPLAY, it... it really exists just to have Sky Chase in the game, doesn't it? Like, that's all it adds. It's Sky Chase for the sake of having Sky Chase and doesn't really innovate or build on the idea of a Sky Chase style level like the new versions of stuff like Chemical Plant Zone do.

And then Knuckles has his own normal Act 1 and I'm just... that's nice but I'm wondering why they bothered. It's just kind of there. It sure is Sky Chase with a wild west coat of paint. It feels like the shallowest part of the game, and while it doesn't really drag the title down for me, I hope it's not something that'd be repeated, in any case.

If nothing else, a Mania sequel needs to spend a bit more time curating what stuff it decides to bring back.

The reason mirage saloon is there is they made a bunch of assets to put a desert hill type level as an Easter egg into one of the earlier ports and Sega nixed it so it's another case of saving money by reusing things.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah, I know Mirage Saloon is based on several versions of an old scrapped stage. That's not my point at all. I was talking about how the first act is just an exercise in having Sky Chase for the sake of having Sky Chase.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Have I gushed about Mirage Saloon Zone yet by the way? Holy hell is it gorgeous, might be my favorite zone visually in the entire series.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

The reason mirage saloon is there is they made a bunch of assets to put a desert hill type level as an Easter egg into one of the earlier ports and Sega nixed it so it's another case of saving money by reusing things.
Is there anywhere you can read all the production history/info about this game? People keep explaining design decisions and I wanna know the source.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

So the people complaining about the Knuckles Hydrocity Act 2 boss are actually complaining about it being so easy it's boring, right?

I killed that guy way too easily.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
:toot:

The fifth one really is the hardest. Like the last two were so much easier and the FINAL one is basically a joke. Did the order of these get messed up or something or what

Anyway SUPER SONIIIIIIIIIIIIC :toot: :toot:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Paul.Power posted:

Part of the problem with Mega Man 10 (as I see it from an outside perspective to the series) is that Mega Man didn't even have his entire toolkit that he'd developed over the original six games. No slide, no mega buster. Proto Man got those, but also had half health to compensate (and did you need to beat the game to unlock him? I don't know for certain). That's okay for the first revival game, but you'd think that stuff would be back by the second.

Sonic already has most of his tools back already. I guess the only thing would be allowing Insta-shield and Peel Out in the main game.

I don't see much of a reason not to give those to Sonic anyway.

You would think that the Insa-shield and drop dash wouldn't play well together but I don't think so. The insta-shield is done by double tapping jump and the drop dash is activated by holding down jump until you hit the ground. So to drop dash you would have to insta-shield first, but I dunno, you could consider it to be the start of his windup animation for the drop dash.

The Super Peel-Out isn't that useful because you can just spindash then jump to keep your momentum (or peel-out then roll to basically spindash) but it sure looks cool.

I always thought it would make sense for a later installment to have Sonic be able to kick off walls like Mighty, but only at an angle. So he would be more like Joe Musashi in Shinobi 3 than Mega Man X who can kick straight up walls.

nerdbot posted:

Vector in Sonic 1 is literally my favorite way to play Sonic 1

I wouldn't want them to go crazy with new characters but Amy and Vector have established 2D Sonic movesets that would work very, very well in the Mania team's hands. The rest of the Chaotix were all a combination of janky or redundant though.

Agreed, if they add any 2D Sonic characters, I'd want Amy and Vector too because they're the most fun. Vector in particular has an 8-way air dash and (classic) Vector is just a cool character design. He's taller and lankier than other Sonic characters and he just struts around with so much swagger.

Espio looks cool and it's especially neat that he spins like a tornado instead of a ball, but I just feel like he needs a little something extra because his ability to stick to walls and ceilings just isn't that exciting to me.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Somehow I had the most trouble with the 3rd emerald. I couldn't pass it my entire playthrough of the game, but once I did I beat the rest in 1 or 2 tries.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

OP should change the thread title to "They we're only planning a short four original zone game because they didn't have the resources to make a full game of original stages and Sega made them reimagine classic stages." To end the complaint once and for all.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The returning zones in Sonic Mania are practically new ones anyway. Like Chemical Plant 2, Stardust Speedway 1, Oil Ocean 2, Metallic Madness 1 etc.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

elf help book posted:

This game is so good that this thread doesn't know what to complain about, so you're all inventing a next game that will surely be bad.

This is the only good post.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TFRazorsaw posted:

Yeah, I know Mirage Saloon is based on several versions of an old scrapped stage. That's not my point at all. I was talking about how the first act is just an exercise in having Sky Chase for the sake of having Sky Chase.

And to have the Egg-o-motive.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Huh? What? Do you mean the Egg Mobile? That's in the game all the time.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

Huh? What? Do you mean the Egg Mobile? That's in the game all the time.

The train. Like locamotive.

I'm a little disappointed the train segment wasn't longer / the train wasn't the boss ala Triple Trouble. That said, I like the detail that the oil tankers have Oil Ocean labels and colours, particularly with it being the next zone.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Oh, the train.

Honestly, the train would have been a much better idea for the whole zone. Less derivative.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Which desert level was MS derivative of

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

I think they mean a train level would be less derivative than Sky Chase 2

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I kinda liked Sky Chase with a different coat of paint but I think it would have better served as a more brief inbetween levels kind of thing, rather then basically claiming the spot of a whole act.

Mirage Saloon is a fantastic theme but it really gets the short straw. One act is an auto scroller (unless Knuckles) and the other is almost bizarrely short compared to some other stages. A lot of acts, namely act 2s took me at least 5 minutes on the first go. Mirage Saloon 2 was like 2-3 minutes even without racing hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Mirage Saloon was based on a level that got cut from the remake of Sonic CD which itself was based on a level that got cut from Sonic 2