Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
got to ten days on my first interloper run. man that was going well until the wolves decided my flare wasnt scary enough and i didnt drop bait in time. three consecutive wolf attacks when all i have is a hammer and whoops now im naked

i understand wanting to build reliance on self-made stuff but no hatchets and no knives makes exploring valuable areas really unrewarding. my entire return from exploring the entire loving dam was 600 calories and a skill book

Coolguye posted:

question about the long dude: i know at one point during development, they added some bullshit with parasites if you ate too much wolf meat or some nonsense. is that still in the game? i just killed my first wolf and i want an idea of how many of the ~4k calories that came out of that son of a bitch are actually usable.

its still there, but its only 1% for the first piece you eat. basically every time you eat predator meat, a visible % goes up. its 1-4-9-14 etc i think. then 24 hours later it checks a random roll vs that % and if it passes you get them. if it fails, the disease goes away

basically wolf meat is supplementary to your diet rather than a staple. i actually like the way its been done

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Thanks for all the tips on The Forest guys, I went back to play it and...well, it just isn't doing it for me. I had fun with it when I first started playing but man I really hate the enemies and how irritating they are. I just...can't be bothered to mess around with aggro and hiding myself (while simultaneously building a base so I don't get clobbered by big multi-armed freaks while still exploring). Everything seems to take so long to do. I know that's sort of the point but I'm not sure how to balance building, defence, exploring and my armaments when everything needs to be done within a week lest I get clobbered down by a superfreak.

I'd also like to go back to Subnautica but man, I am not at all liking the changes they have been making recently. It seems like their goal is to increase tedium rather than to keep it a streamlined and engaging experience, which is really unfortunate.

I just got the hunting rifle in The Long Dark story mode but I'm not sure how much more I want to play until more chapters get added.

I really like survival games, I swear!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
have you tried survival mode in TLD?

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
TLD story mode feels like training wheels for survival mode in comparison. I first played it 6 months ago before story mode existed, which I'm sure has some effect. Seeing the Canadian flag cabin in chapter 2 felt like coming home. Also, story mode wolves seem to misunderstand the directionality of the predator prey relationship.

On that note, I wish the higher difficulties in TLD made wolves more fearsome without just making like, a ton of them. Give me a few wolves here and there that are truly scary; spamming the same strength ones everywhere just makes them feel cheap.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
so it took them years to develop a 6-hour tutorial for the survival mode

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

so it took them years to develop a 6-hour tutorial for the survival mode

And IMHO it is not that great either- you keep getting basic tasks handed to you that really don't do more than add a time sink. That and I keep itching to gather crafting materials that turn out I can't use due to lack of schematics. Stupid Will, get going on some crafting darn it! At least whenever we'll get to play Astrid it looks like we'll have the bow.

Anyone else shooting for the long run badges? I've got a save from right after they removed the old save files in Alpha that's about to hit 100 days. Started in Mystery Lake and nearly died at least four times just due to wolves, then moved to Coastal Highway. And despite there obviously being more wolves I'm having a far easier time with them, probably because outside of bad weather I actually can spot them first and also have alternative routes around them that aren't 'climb a mountain and hope you don't sprain your wrist yet again'. Well, minus just outside Quonset Gas Station which is just a shame. But probably on purpose since its far too good of a base otherwise.
But yeah my plan long term is to explore and map Coastal Highway while building up a cache of scavenged prepackaged food ( to avoid wolf detection ) and then get to Desolation Point to smelt up some arrowheads, then head to Pleasant Valley and set up shop for the semi-long term, with maybe an expedition to Timberwolf Mountain once I have a bearskin bedroll to bring up. I didn't get the flare gun (if its still there?) in the Ravine because man that place made me nervous and I'm not even afraid of heights!

Tar_Squid fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 21, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I love TLD but honestly if story mode was just a bunch of those challenges stuck end-to-end and the dev time was spent on more "end-game" pursuits I would have been more happy. Once you're decked out in furs and arrows and have 20,000 kcals of meat on the back porch what else are you supposed to do, ya know? You've "won".

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

metasynthetic posted:

TLD story mode feels like training wheels for survival mode in comparison. I first played it 6 months ago before story mode existed, which I'm sure has some effect. Seeing the Canadian flag cabin in chapter 2 felt like coming home. Also, story mode wolves seem to misunderstand the directionality of the predator prey relationship.

On that note, I wish the higher difficulties in TLD made wolves more fearsome without just making like, a ton of them. Give me a few wolves here and there that are truly scary; spamming the same strength ones everywhere just makes them feel cheap.

i dunno, i was basically fully 100-0'd by one the other day on interloper, though i was fighting it with a prybar, not a knife

i got this game with story mode and spent the first episode hoarding up literally every resource and making stockpiles, jumped down the cliff, breezed though episode 2 because it was trivial and then found survival which is a lot more fun

Tar_Squid posted:

I didn't get the flare gun (if its still there?) in the Ravine because man that place made me nervous and I'm not even afraid of heights!

the stupid rope isnt spawning there for me ever, and im not spending 5kg just to carry it there

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 21, 2017

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012

Verviticus posted:

the stupid rope isnt spawning there for me ever, and im not spending 5kg just to carry it there

I didn't see a rope around either, but I just want to be sure there is still a cache down there to get before I find and haul a rope all the way back there. I don't care if its a hassle, I've got a pile of meat and fish outside my base, a fridge full of junk food, and a full wardrobe of warm clothing ( though I swapped out the expedition parka and instead just have the wolfskin coat because Coastal Highway doesn't seem to get as crazy as Mystery Lake and Pleasant Valley do ).

I just want to set some bears on fire. :flame:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Re: The rope. Is it very obvious from afar to see where you can potentially put it? Or do i have to shove my nose in every rock-face to look for a prompt?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I waited the whole summer for the release of TLD story mode and I was so disappointed and bored with it I still haven't mustered the energy to finish it. I'm still at the bear part and I just lost the energy to go on.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Dongattack posted:

Re: The rope. Is it very obvious from afar to see where you can potentially put it? Or do i have to shove my nose in every rock-face to look for a prompt?

It's not super obvious but there's a man-sized boulder next to / behind a climbing sign.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Dongattack posted:

its always this shape

and its always alone

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Bhodi posted:

I love TLD but honestly if story mode was just a bunch of those challenges stuck end-to-end and the dev time was spent on more "end-game" pursuits I would have been more happy. Once you're decked out in furs and arrows and have 20,000 kcals of meat on the back porch what else are you supposed to do, ya know? You've "won".

Suddenly... Russian paratroopers.

Maple Dawn DLC coming soon.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

So what's the way to kill the bear in TLD? Do I just have to accept that I will have to get mauled by him? I've done 3/6 locations and once he ran away after I shot him. But if I read this correctly, the game won't let me kill him until I've met him at all locations? (which is BS)

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Correct.
You can take off your clothes before he mauls you if you wanna game the system, which is fair imho since its so loving stupid.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Well, now I'm completely stumped, since I've been to all three locations I haven't seen him yet and he's nowhere to be found in any of them.

e: Found him, he was glitching inside a rock

e2: This is story mode.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 22, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Is this for Hunted Part 2? There's more than 3 spots you need to attack that jerk in. Check the wiki on it if you just want to be spoiled, that entire challenge is kind of a load of crap.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Okay, after the bear thing, I went and tried to find Jeremiah's bunker but I couldn't get in because I have to wait for the Aurora? So I have to camp out here in the wilderness for who knows how long with limited supplies? Well great. Is there even anything worthwhile in there or should I just try to continue the main story?

bobsmyuncle
Feb 21, 2006

aw yiss
I just read that Auroras don't even happen in story mode until after you kill the bear. I've been scouring Forlorn Muskeg for supplies for my little camp next to the hatch, wearing out my knife and hatchet, forging new ones, patiently awaiting an Aurora that will never come. :cripes:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
When sandbox mode is more fun that story mode. :argh:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

bobsmyuncle posted:

I just read that Auroras don't even happen in story mode until after you kill the bear. I've been scouring Forlorn Muskeg for supplies for my little camp next to the hatch, wearing out my knife and hatchet, forging new ones, patiently awaiting an Aurora that will never come. :cripes:
Huh? I thought they were coded to start after you go into the building to fix his rifle, you get a flashlight and it shows the light mechanic with wolves and streetlights.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Bhodi posted:

Huh? I thought they were coded to start after you go into the building to fix his rifle, you get a flashlight and it shows the light mechanic with wolves and streetlights.

Yeah, but when you start the actual "kill the bear" mission, auroras won't happen again until you complete that mission.

Edit: Don't really understand why tho, if you wanna hunt a bear during the nightlight wolf apocalypse you should be allowed to!

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 22, 2017

bobsmyuncle
Feb 21, 2006

aw yiss
Oh, maybe. I haven't done that yet either. It's on the other map west of Forlorn Muskeg and I thought I could pick up this stash first. If that's all it takes I can run over there and trigger that scene.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
So on Day 86 I thought, "why not kill a bear? And eat it?" Well the bear didn't kill me immediately but I dropped my rifle during the struggle and rather than fleeing for the hills I decided to find it so I could shoot the bear in the face again but the bear disagreed and now there isn't going to be a Day 87.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I think scoring a headshot drives away the old bear in each encounter. Alternatively, the flare gun makes it go crazy and runs around in circles and unable to attack. Shoot it a few more times and it'll run off again. Quite ammo intensive but you'll have enough flare if you've been conservative with them.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Mr. Grumpybones posted:

So on Day 86 I thought, "why not kill a bear? And eat it?" Well the bear didn't kill me immediately but I dropped my rifle during the struggle and rather than fleeing for the hills I decided to find it so I could shoot the bear in the face again but the bear disagreed and now there isn't going to be a Day 87.

i think you just need to flare it realistically. or headshot it and get in an ice fishing shack and boil some water

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Bhodi posted:

I slept through the night. gently caress going out into the dark when wolves are about; that's just lunacy.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
You're actually missing out on one of the few good parts of story mode if you sleep through that event, though. Following these lights that sputter to life under the baleful glow of the aurora while freaky-looking wolves stalk close by is a genuinely intense and atmospheric experience, and I would imagine especially startling for most people who have had the game for several years and are well and truly used the absence of electric lighting in the world.

If only story mode had had more like it instead of the terrible NPC interaction and ridiculous fetch quests, it could have been a real winner.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah, that entire story piece is kind of awesome if you do the precise DUMBEST thing you could possibly do and walk straight at the wolves. yes, game, you've spent the last 10 hours drilling into me that wolves will gently caress me up and are bad news - my first idea when i see a wolf that's all creepy and glowing and poo poo is TOTALLY to walk straight toward it!

or you can show you've got two brain cells to rub together to make a spark, say 'naw dawg', and walk back inside for a comfortable 8 hour nap until those stupid mutts aren't a problem anymore. you almost certainly don't have the clothes to go strolling around in the night anyway by that point, so why the hell bother?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Could be a dumbass survival simulator?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Coolguye posted:

yeah, that entire story piece is kind of awesome if you do the precise DUMBEST thing you could possibly do and walk straight at the wolves. yes, game, you've spent the last 10 hours drilling into me that wolves will gently caress me up and are bad news - my first idea when i see a wolf that's all creepy and glowing and poo poo is TOTALLY to walk straight toward it!

or you can show you've got two brain cells to rub together to make a spark, say 'naw dawg', and walk back inside for a comfortable 8 hour nap until those stupid mutts aren't a problem anymore. you almost certainly don't have the clothes to go strolling around in the night anyway by that point, so why the hell bother?
If they had introduced any urgency whatsoever to the main plot you might have a reason to risk a nighttime excursion. Since it took you a week to get out of the crevice and at least a week to do all the mother missions, that urgency got quashed by time you get to the hunter. I went outside because I wanted to see what was making the cool green glow through the windows.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
Just finished up what I think are all the side missions in Episode One. Some small spoilers-

Man, Grey Mother, I don't care about the boots, thank you for the distress pistol! Went over to the farm and saw four wolves hanging out in front. Lit one of them up with a flare and it ran around yelping its head off and scaring the other wolves. And the deer. And the rabbits. I was laughing my rear end off the whole time. Well worth using up a flare for ( plus one wolf was having a rabbit snack so I got one free pelt out of that too ).

And in general, hunting bears is accepting your inevitable mauling unless you've got a safe sniping spot, like the bear that wanders near the farmhouse in Pleasant Valley. That screened in porch is almost always covered in meat in my games there. Or yeah an ice fishing hut or a vehicle are all safe places to avoid retaliation. Supposedly however if you manage to hit a bear in the head or heart area 'just right' you can one-shot it. I've never been able to do this however, it usually takes an hour or so minimum for a bleed out. Anyone ever managed to pull that off?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the wiki says that if you hit something in a specific region, there's a chance of a critical hit that kills it instantly. head shots carry a 100% crit rate for most critters, but bears are the exception in that they only get crit like 30% of the time even with a perfect shot. you haven't seen it because it's a dice roll, basically.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Tar_Squid posted:

Supposedly however if you manage to hit a bear in the head or heart area 'just right' you can one-shot it. I've never been able to do this however, it usually takes an hour or so minimum for a bleed out. Anyone ever managed to pull that off?

I popped a bear in the head and dropped him instantly once in PV, but it was in sandbox mode.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Coolguye posted:

I honestly didn't even think you'd be able to go back to sleep (I didn't bother trying because I'd already had some annoying bugs up till that point, and thought I'd break some important scripted sequence if I did). It seemed pretty clear to me that the devs had intended for the player to do that section at night, and they certainly did a good job piquing my interest with the aurora and the lights flickering on and off, so I just rolled with it :shrug: I'm glad I did, because aside from the work they put into the new maps, it's probably the only thing I really enjoyed about story mode.

iamthehans
May 1, 2012
Is anyone getting into Escape from tarkov? I've been playing it with 2 other goons but we'd like to get a few more people to run raids with.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Has anyone played Darkwood? I saw a friend of mine stream it recently, it looked very spooky.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iamthehans posted:

Is anyone getting into Escape from tarkov? I've been playing it with 2 other goons but we'd like to get a few more people to run raids with.

I've been dying to try it, actually. Isn't it still in alpha or some poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

TeaJay posted:

Has anyone played Darkwood? I saw a friend of mine stream it recently, it looked very spooky.

trigger warning: has whining, dying dog in first 5 minutes of play