Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Inescapable Duck posted:

They don't work very well in D&D either, the only good edition got rid of that poo poo

the edition aint nearly so important as the players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

4th edition is a board game

5th is tons of fun and I don't care how basic that makes me

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

d&d, pathfinder is just for baby dungeon masters, once uve run a couple good groups u can take the training wheels off and switch to GURPS

Serf
May 5, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

They don't work very well in D&D either, the only good edition got rid of that poo poo

4e was too good for this world and remains the best rpg i've ever read or run

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://mobile.twitter.com/daveweigel/status/900002886989615104

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Serf posted:

4e was too good for this world and remains the best rpg i've ever read or run

2e is better since it has dynamic movement . lot of bad poo poo in it though so it's the best one to retroclone

Serf
May 5, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

2e is better since it has dynamic movement . lot of bad poo poo in it though so it's the best one to retroclone

drat, mastershakeman is wrong and bad in every thread he posts in lol

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Serf posted:

lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Extremely Suck Zoneishly:

5th edition was focus-grouped to hell and back to appeal to some vague identitarian notion of "the real D&D". It has a nice platitude about gender and ethnic diversity, but does nothing to actually advance game design and credits a far right loon and a serial harasser as consultants.

4e Would Have Won

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Serf posted:

yeah im sorry that 99% of d&d nerds don't even realize the movement issue change in 3e and were always playing the wrong way as babies

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Hi I'm David Weigel and if it didn't happen on the internet, IT DIDN'T HAPPEN

Serf
May 5, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

yeah im sorry that 99% of d&d nerds don't even realize the movement issue change in 3e and were always playing the wrong way as babies

drat son your opinions on elfgames are as bad as your opinions on politics. tho those often go hand in hand

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Serf posted:

drat son your opinions on elfgames are as bad as your opinions on politics. tho those often go hand in hand

are you ready to talk about halforcs in a multicultural society baby

also all my political opinions are Good, no matter how often i change them

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

ffx was just walking in a straight line from one end of the world to the other

i mean yeah most games are but at least make an effort to pretend

i think 8 was pretty good although lol @ child soldiers being a thing like it ain't no big deal

at least there's a world around that straight line, and NPCs to talk to and give the world a bit of flavor

ffxiii is awful about that, you spend 70% of the game being railroaded down long hallways full of enemies and the remaining 30% wandering aimlessly in an enormous empty plain filled with monsters

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
This makes Obama 3.5 edition: despite being obnoxiously popular, looks worse and worse in retrospect and didn't actually accomplish anything besides maintaining relevancy, with lots of diehard fanboys clinging to it mostly for the sake of nostalgia

Serf
May 5, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

are you ready to talk about halforcs in a multicultural society baby

also all my political opinions are Good, no matter how often i change them

mastershakeman: 2e is good

also mastershakeman: i voted for trump to spite my black coworkers

Inescapable Duck posted:

This makes Obama 3.5 edition: despite being obnoxiously popular, looks worse and worse in retrospect and didn't actually accomplish anything besides maintaining relevancy, with lots of diehard fanboys clinging to it mostly for the sake of nostalgia

bernie would have been the glorious 4e we deserved. sadly in this timeline we skipped him and get lovely 5e instead

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The movement rules in Combat & Tactics that mastershakeman adores so much are an example of AD&D having a bunch of arcane bullshit that technically made it a better balanced game compared to 3e, but at the same time were such an rear end to track because they were so fiddly that I can't imagine anyone wanting expend the effort nowadays.

In this analogy, all the 2d10 initiative, two-phased movement, spell-learning rolls and strictly observed spell reagent rules represent the burden of bureaucratic busywork of Third Way Clintonism.

4th Edition said no to all that means-testing horseshit and just forcibly redistributed spell slots to all the classes.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

page 686, coincidentally the intel chip family that is currently powering the most expensive instruments in this dumb lab

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Too lazy to link that idiot who said "actually US is democratic and China is bad"

Our defacto single-party system imprisons more people than China and murders hundreds of innocent brown people at home and abroad daily.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

"she's running"

https://twitter.com/sengillibrand/status/900000977469702144
https://twitter.com/sengillibrand/status/900001187943948289

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
DnD and PF are for baby scum

Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

In this analogy, all the 2d10 initiative, two-phased movement, spell-learning rolls and strictly observed spell reagent rules represent the burden of bureaucratic busywork of Third Way Clintonism.

4th Edition said no to all that means-testing horseshit and just forcibly redistributed spell slots to all the classes.

hell yes comrade

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Serf posted:

FFX is good but IXVI remains the height of the series
FTFY

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Democrats preaching about accountability and transparency lololol

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Full moon is falling through the sky.
Cranes fly through clouds.
Wolves howl. I cannot find rest
Because I am powerless
To amend a broken world.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I only played one game of 4e and can't remember, does it even have non-combat game mechanics

Because my favorite parts of D&D are actually the parts where you're not fighting anything

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

loquacius posted:

4th edition is a board game

5th is tons of fun and I don't care how basic that makes me
While not D&D, 13th age is pretty neat

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The President is outta control!!!!

*expands executive office powers every single chance they get*

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Serf posted:

FFX is good but IX remains the height of the series

:hai:

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Serf posted:

bernie would have been the glorious 4e we deserved. sadly in this timeline we skipped him and get lovely 5e instead
https://twitter.com/DungeonsDonald/status/897431821335412736

Serf
May 5, 2011

loquacius posted:

I only played one game of 4e and can't remember, does it even have non-combat game mechanics

Because my favorite parts of D&D are actually the parts where you're not fighting anything

yeah, they're called skill rolls and having a conversation

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

loquacius posted:

Whenever you're not fighting in D&D, you say what you do and:

1. The DM says "yes, you do it"
2. The DM says "no, you don't do it"
3. The DM says "roll a d20, add your skill modifiers, and you get it if you roll higher than this DC I'm setting"

In this regard, 4e is just as good as every other edition.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can y'all please stop talking about anime? I'm trying to screech

Serf
May 5, 2011

also i retract my previous statement. 4e is the best game i've ever run, but as far as games i've read goes, it is second best only to monsterhearts, possibly the most well-designed-but least-appealing-to-me game ever

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

gradenko_2000 posted:

The movement rules in Combat & Tactics that mastershakeman adores so much are an example of AD&D having a bunch of arcane bullshit that technically made it a better balanced game compared to 3e, but at the same time were such an rear end to track because they were so fiddly that I can't imagine anyone wanting expend the effort nowadays.

considering you know edition history better than anyone on the entire internet you know the truth of what i'm saying! i should've caveated that 2e is superior for players but not for DMs, I can't imagine having to DM all that fiddly stuff all the time let alone trying to balance any fights

also FF6>4>10>1>7>9>8 > who cares about the rest

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Frijolero posted:

No is no
No is always no
If they say no, it means a thousand times no

No plus no equals no
All nos lead to no no no

Finger pointing, eyebrows low
Mouth in the shape of the letter O

Pardon me -- No!
Excuse me -- No!
May I stay?
Can I go?
No, no, no

Do this -- No!
Don't do that -- No!
Sit, stay, roll over
No, no, no

Finger pointing, eyebrows low
Mouth in the shape of the letter O
Red means stop. Do not go.
No, no, no

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol I though Star Trek chat was bad, little did I know that it's 2017 and things can always get worse

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Frijolero posted:

http://i.imgur.com/K5C55ZN.gifv

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

ok im gonna read back to the beginning of the elfgames detail and probe anyone who said 3rd is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

• Locked thread