Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
GA GA GA GA GAO GAI GAR!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm in the OP! :toot:

Edit Is the Astaroth any good as a kit? I've never even watched IBO, but oh my god that design is amazing. :swoon:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 21, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Are there any good beginner Gunpla tutorials for people who don't have an airbrush?

The Fun to Build Gunpla video series has you covered, and should really be in the OP. It's in Japanese, but perfectly good English subtitles are available in the video settings.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Edit Is the Astaroth any good as a kit? I've never even watched IBO, but oh my god that design is amazing. :swoon:

I can't speak as a very experienced Gunpla man, but I certainly enjoyed assembling mine.

On a related note, s there a sensibly prices Land man rodi kit out yet? I prefer it to the space version (even though it'd go better with my sumo turtle Gusion)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zark the Damned posted:

I can't speak as a very experienced Gunpla man, but I certainly enjoyed assembling mine.

On a related note, s there a sensibly prices Land man rodi kit out yet? I prefer it to the space version (even though it'd go better with my sumo turtle Gusion)

Sort of.

You can get the legs in one of the option sets, which are under ten bucks, and the core kit is cheap, but you'll have to handle the colors if you want the look on the show.

There's going to be a release of the Landman Rodi soon in the right colors, but it's P-Bandai and part of a 4 kit box.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Are there any other cool asymmetrical Gundam? I love that design aesthetic, for whatever reason.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Are there any other cool asymmetrical Gundam? I love that design aesthetic, for whatever reason.

Wing gundam fenice

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

PMush Perfect posted:

depending on your definition of cool, there's the Gold Frame Amatsu

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

PMush Perfect posted:

Turn X

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

PMush Perfect posted:

Nu Gundam.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Make this gundam look like a crab but rendered on a graphics card that is overheating and has extreme artifacting.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
shut up turn x owns

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

PMush Perfect posted:

The Astaroth is awesome, and probably one of my favorite of the S1 IBO kits (I haven't gotten to my S2 kits). The Astaroth Origin (the red one) was less impressive in its design. But the S2 line has Astaroth Rinascimento, which looks rad and I look forward to building it.

Seconding the Wing Gundam Fenice as another good asymmetrical kit, probably one of my favorite of all the gundams.

While kinda stretching the definition, the 00 Quanta (as well as the 00 Shia Qan[T] from the Build Fighters line) has that backpack which can be hang off the left shoulder for a nice asymmetric pose.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

mikeycp posted:

shut up turn x owns

Don't get me wrong it looks dope.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Paper Kaiju posted:

While kinda stretching the definition, the 00 Quanta (as well as the 00 Shia Qan[T] from the Build Fighters line) has that backpack which can be hang off the left shoulder for a nice asymmetric pose.

The 00[Q] doesn't stretch the definition any more than the nu does. It also has a really good RG and hella variants if you're into those.

The best asymmetric Gundam design is Exia Repair, though, with Amazing Exia Repair taking a close second.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Puddin posted:

Don't get me wrong it looks dope.

ok you're forgiven

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Gundam Leopard and Leopard da Vinci seem like they'd qualify well enough.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zebulon posted:

Gundam Leopard and Leopard da Vinci seem like they'd qualify well enough.

The Da Vinci comes with two sets of its weapons for MAX DAKKA! :orks101:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The Leopard DV stripped out all of the Leopard's asymmetry, much like how it removed all of the Leopard's distinguishing characteristics beyond "it has big guns".

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Oh, whoops. Can you not build it as a regular Leopard, then? The only alternative for a Leopard that I can think of is the old rear end kits from when Gundam X first came out.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
I put in an 11th hour pre-order on the Ziegler. I mostly blame ACES; I've been waiting for Mechanicore to come out with something I liked since I saw his Deep Striker build. I guess the P-Bandai poo poo can wait until next month....

The parts list alone has my eyes bugging out. I can't quite wrap my head around 2400+ pieces. But those LEDs, man. Those LEDs...

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Zebulon posted:

Oh, whoops. Can you not build it as a regular Leopard, then? The only alternative for a Leopard that I can think of is the old rear end kits from when Gundam X first came out.

I dont think you can, which is really strange since having enough excessive parts to rebuild the original/customize is kind of Build Fighter's thing.

Hell, the Kamiki Burning Gundam comes with a whole sprue of extra effect parts from the prior release, because they couldn't fit the new parts on one sheet and decided 'hell, why not'.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It's not strange because there isn't an existing HGAW Leopard. It was Build Fighters that recycled old kits like crazy; Build Fighters Try had a lot more unique molds.

Not that it would work out anyways. I've complained about this before, but the Leopard DV is completely off scale. The only thing about it that justifies being a Leopard variant is the pun in the name.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Booyah- posted:

It's odd, other parts from the same ABS sprue have broken too, my first time with one of these kits. I think it may be the gundam marker I'm using, it's one of the ink pouring types and has a chemical smell to it. I just used it to ink one of the hands and the fingers literally fell apart!

To follow up on this, I just noticed that this particular gundam marker (the flowing ink kind) does have a warning about how it can break ABS plastic. The regular gundam markers don't have this warning, but be careful with the formulations that do have this warning on the pen.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Booyah- posted:

To follow up on this, I just noticed that this particular gundam marker (the flowing ink kind) does have a warning about how it can break ABS plastic. The regular gundam markers don't have this warning, but be careful with the formulations that do have this warning on the pen.

Is it some sort of metallic pen?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Neurolimal posted:

Is it some sort of metallic pen?

It's a grey ink one but uses the same applicator as their metallic ones which have the same warning.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 356 days!

Booyah- posted:

It's a grey ink one but uses the same applicator as their metallic ones which have the same warning.

Is this the Gundam Marker that does the capillary action, the one that "pours" into the panel lines? I've used these almost exclusively (grey, black and brown) on 9-10 models and clean up with iso alcohol and haven't had any problems, but I barely touch the plastic and just let the ink run and do its stuff, perhaps I'm just lucky :shrug:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The box for this kit is real big.

I'll build a little bit of it tonight to give my first impressions of the plastic quality and such.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 22, 2017

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Suzaku posted:

I put in an 11th hour pre-order on the Ziegler. I mostly blame ACES; I've been waiting for Mechanicore to come out with something I liked since I saw his Deep Striker build. I guess the P-Bandai poo poo can wait until next month....

The parts list alone has my eyes bugging out. I can't quite wrap my head around 2400+ pieces. But those LEDs, man. Those LEDs...

Godspeed.

I thoroughly look forward to the completed build review in 2020.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Monaghan posted:

The box for this kit is real big.

I'll build a little bit of it tonight to give my first impressions of the plastic quality and such.

Does it come with the screwdriver DIVIDING DRIVER or the giant hammer GOLDION HAMMER?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Does it come with the screwdriver DIVIDING DRIVER or the giant hammer GOLDION HAMMER?

DIVIDING....DRRIIIIVERRRRR!!!

edit: work done on mine so far:

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 22, 2017

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Suzaku posted:

Good luck, I like it, but not enough to enter into a death contract with the mafia for like I did the deep striker.

Couple tips for it - don't treat it like gunpla. Mechanicore's stuff is very much more on the 'traditional model' side of things than the snip, snap, and go stuff that Bandai and most third parties do. Be ready to deal with mold flash or mold release solution, so if you're gonna paint or panel line, it's not a bad idea to wash your runners. Mechanicore doesn't use polished molds outside of their transparent or chromed parts, so you'll get a semi-matte finish out of the box for most of the parts, which personally I like but your tastes may vary.

If you're not already familiar with soldering, you might want to get on that for the LEDs. And probably the most important thing is always test fit everything, and don't be afraid to shave down holes or pegs to get a looser fit, and then just seal things up with a good heavy duty glue when you're sure you've got things in the right order. Personally I use this stuff, I love it. There's no more terrifying feeling than realizing you hosed up a fit and having to forcibly separate two parts, especially if there's glue involved.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

This guy's gonna be a big boy. Here's its leg next to my girlfriend's hg destiny zaku:

Some thoughts
- Plastic quality is quite good. Surprising little flash. Weirdly enough there's some significant flash on the sprues, but nothing on the kit itself. The plastic definitely feels heavier than bandai's stuff.
-You really have to push this put this kit together. It's quite snug and I'm more worried about taking this thing apart when I paint it.
- There's some disappointing aspects in this kit in that there's seam lines. Now I think these seam lines actually exist on the SOC itself. So not too big of a knock.
- There's seemingly no rhyme or reason to what part's of the kit are undergated. For example- the white parts and the grey part underneath the drill are undergated. However, the gold drill itself isn't! This means that you're going to take off the finish.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
You also made the same mistake as Prime92 - that outer white leg armor is on backwards. :v:

Yeah, those two red halves on the knees were BRUTAL to get together. I quickly learned my lesson and cut down the connection pegs for the other leg.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Aug 23, 2017

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Good luck, I like it, but not enough to enter into a death contract with the mafia for like I did the deep striker.

Couple tips for it - don't treat it like gunpla. Mechanicore's stuff is very much more on the 'traditional model' side of things than the snip, snap, and go stuff that Bandai and most third parties do. Be ready to deal with mold flash or mold release solution, so if you're gonna paint or panel line, it's not a bad idea to wash your runners. Mechanicore doesn't use polished molds outside of their transparent or chromed parts, so you'll get a semi-matte finish out of the box for most of the parts, which personally I like but your tastes may vary.

If you're not already familiar with soldering, you might want to get on that for the LEDs. And probably the most important thing is always test fit everything, and don't be afraid to shave down holes or pegs to get a looser fit, and then just seal things up with a good heavy duty glue when you're sure you've got things in the right order. Personally I use this stuff, I love it. There's no more terrifying feeling than realizing you hosed up a fit and having to forcibly separate two parts, especially if there's glue involved.

I really like the design, which is what I needed to spend that kind of money. I'm not looking forward to the shipping bill/

Thanks for the tips! For the glue, does Tamiya cement not work with the plastic they use, or are there enough gaps that CA is pretty necessary? I know it will be needed for the metal bits. I'll have to see if I can find my soldering iron....

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

tenderjerk posted:

Is this the Gundam Marker that does the capillary action, the one that "pours" into the panel lines? I've used these almost exclusively (grey, black and brown) on 9-10 models and clean up with iso alcohol and haven't had any problems, but I barely touch the plastic and just let the ink run and do its stuff, perhaps I'm just lucky :shrug:

Yep it's that type of marker, which I am loving so far. It doesn't have a problem with PS plastic which is the majority of sprues in most kits. ABS is the softer type that they use for a lot of joint parts instead of the rubbery connector stuff. In modern kits any ABS sprues are more clearly marked then before, but all sprues will have an indication somewhere of the type of plastic.

By the way, what do you use to clean with the alcohol? Q-tips seem too big and absorbent.

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 23, 2017

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Booyah- posted:

Yep it's that type of marker, which I am loving so far. It doesn't have a problem with PS plastic which is the majority of sprues in most kits. ABS is the softer type that they use for a lot of joint parts instead of the rubbery connector stuff. In modern kits any ABS sprues are more clearly marked then before, but all sprues will have an indication somewhere of the type of plastic.

By the way, what do you use to clean with the alcohol? Q-tips seem too big and absorbent.

Here's some I like for gunpla (ebay search "pointed cotton swab") :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Short-Wood-...EIAAOSweIlZaF3X

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25pcs-3-Mic...-cAAOSwNSxVCr5V

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

apparently they fixed the issue of everything being too loose. now everything is tight, and sometimes i'm having to cut pegs down to make things fit. it's rather frustrating, but atleast it's progressing.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The C-SPAM Hi-Mock Challenge has begun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, apparently they announced the new Revive, RG, and MG already.

Blue Destiny II, Johnny Ridden's Zaku, and the GM Sniper Custom Sgt. Kero promised us so long ago. A lot of UC stuff, seems like.

Not complaining about more GMs, but... still a bit disappointing to have everything announced so far be based on existing molds.