Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

food court bailiff posted:

Nope, the California code linked earlier looks pretty broad, but the key is that it wasn't a pipe at all, it was a stick weighted with lead.

Yeah that was my understanding as well. A couple articles I've read were that it was hollow and filled with lead shot. Which is illegal almost everywhere, because the only legitimate use for that is as a whacking stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neamp
Jun 24, 2003
So are weapons other than guns not covered by the second amendment? I thought it just said 'arms'. Or is there just not a knife and heavy stick lobby complaining loud enough how their rights are being violated?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

This is awesome. Zing!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
You absolutely must click this link. This is the good stuff.

https://twitter.com/AskAManager/status/900012605732868098

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

neamp posted:

So are weapons other than guns not covered by the second amendment? I thought it just said 'arms'. Or is there just not a knife and heavy stick lobby complaining loud enough how their rights are being violated?

I don't think just possession of the stick was a problem. It's the combination of it being leaded+hitting people+prior felony convictions.

And yes, there's no real lobby for it either.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

zakharov posted:

Now that's Chicken Soup for the Soul.

And this isn't "broke all contact after a couple months of dating" This is straight up "Walked out of her life after a 3 year relationship and moved to a new country without a word or warning"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

zakharov posted:

If ever "soap opera amnesia" was called for as a solution to a real-life problem.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

neamp posted:

There's no federal lobby. Pressure varies by state.

The biggest factor in knife restrictions is gangland/minority panic legislation. Politicians love to drink from that well and voters love racist dogwhistles.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:iceburn:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

neamp posted:

You'll be surprised to hear that weapons laws, like every other law, are often written pretty absurdly and applied arbitrarily.

Check out this long form article about New York's law about "gravity knives". It's written so that any knife you can open with one hand with a flick (including an old utility knife, or a regular knife that a cop swings up and down a dozen times until he can open it)
https://www.villagevoice.com/2014/10/07/how-a-50s-era-new-york-knife-law-has-landed-thousands-in-jail/
This piece made big buzz when it was released a few years ago, and some lawmakers tried to repeal the gravity knife law. The governor vetoed the repeal.
https://patch.com/new-york/new-york-city/gravity-knives-pulling-albany-nyc-collision-course
Look at this knife which earned someone a felony conviction in NYC. Incredibly dangerous if you are made of electrical tape or carpet

You also hear of people being arrested for illegal slingshots, when the law is written as "slungshot", which is a knotted rope with a weight in it used by sailors to throw ropes, aka a monkey's fist.

And then of course there are lots of states where you can own machineguns (after jumping through all the legal hoops), but you cannot own throwing stars or nunchucks.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

http://i.imgur.com/AMO93vv.gifv

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

:bisonyes:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Azhais posted:

I don't think just possession of the stick was a problem. It's the combination of it being leaded+hitting people+prior felony convictions.

And yes, there's no real lobby for it either.

Plus, it's California, the 2nd Amendment doesn't apply. The state literally approves specific models for sale, and in cases where a manufacturer has different model numbers for purely cosmetic differences, one model number can be certified for sale by the state and the other one not, so whether or not it is legal to sell a particular handgun in California might come down to the color of the grips or the anti-corrosion treatment applied to the steel. And the state won't add any new models to the list, either, since they passed a law requiring new models to include a technology that does not exist.

"Possession of a leaded stick" seems to be California Penal Code 22210:

quote:

Except as provided in Section 22215 and Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 17700) of Division 2 of Title 2, any person in this state who manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, lends, or possesses any leaded cane, or any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a billy, blackjack, sandbag, sandclub, sap, or slungshot, is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170.

Dirks, shuriken, and nunchaku are also specifically banned. So ninjas and Scottish clan lords stay out of California, I guess.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 17:22 on Aug 22, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

canyoneer posted:

You'll be surprised to hear that weapons laws, like every other law, are often written pretty absurdly and applied arbitrarily.

Check out this long form article about New York's law about "gravity knives". It's written so that any knife you can open with one hand with a flick (including an old utility knife, or a regular knife that a cop swings up and down a dozen times until he can open it)
https://www.villagevoice.com/2014/10/07/how-a-50s-era-new-york-knife-law-has-landed-thousands-in-jail/
This piece made big buzz when it was released a few years ago, and some lawmakers tried to repeal the gravity knife law. The governor vetoed the repeal.
https://patch.com/new-york/new-york-city/gravity-knives-pulling-albany-nyc-collision-course
Look at this knife which earned someone a felony conviction in NYC. Incredibly dangerous if you are made of electrical tape or carpet

You also hear of people being arrested for illegal slingshots, when the law is written as "slungshot", which is a knotted rope with a weight in it used by sailors to throw ropes, aka a monkey's fist.

And then of course there are lots of states where you can own machineguns (after jumping through all the legal hoops), but you cannot own throwing stars or nunchucks.

I'm not a badass dude but I could kill you with a boxcutter.

I have no idea from butterfly knives and switchblades but a good boxcutter to the throat means game over.

Not that there needs to be stupid pointless laws against them and having one getting a felony conviction, ye gods

Imagine if he'd been drinking a beverage made with high-fructose corn syrup.

Would've got life

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Double Punctuation posted:

There’s a maximum sentence of one year in county jail, which is normally as low as felonies go. Unless, you know, you have a prior felony conviction for armed robbery.

And I am sure ALL of his fellow inmates will appreciate being woke on the way America actually should work.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

canyoneer posted:

Here in Quebec you can have a knife that you flick open as long as there's a secondary lock. So no pure gravity knife, but if you have to hold down a latch to flick it that's fine.

It doesn't make it any more difficult or longer to open.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

neamp posted:

They are, but they don't benefit from lobbyists so a lot of them get dumped into the "Legal for you to own at home, the dojo, and the car in between, but you're going to have Bad Times if you get caught using them in public and the police are already mad at you" category. Most of the people that really want to use their brass knuckles and blackjacks and so forth in public aren't really the successfully litigious types so the theoretical protections those weapons 'should' have don't actually exist.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic posted:

Plus, it's California, the 2nd Amendment doesn't apply. The state literally approves specific models for sale, and in cases where a manufacturer has different model numbers for purely cosmetic differences, one model number can be certified for sale by the state and the other one not, so whether or not it is legal to sell a particular handgun in California might come down to the color of the grips or the anti-corrosion treatment applied to the steel.

Lol yes, your Second Amendment Rights® are being infringed because you can’t get your penis extension in the colour you want.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Do you guys think a hot dog is a sandwich?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Here in Quebec you can have a knife that you flick open as long as there's a secondary lock. So no pure gravity knife, but if you have to hold down a latch to flick it that's fine.

It doesn't make it any more difficult or longer to open.

I have a couple of knives where the difference between "having to pull it open with both hands" and "flick it open with your wrist" is whether one of the screws has worked itself a bit loose.

Also I have one that is supposed to require two hands to open but I have worked out a way to open it with just one. Guess I shouldn't show that to the police :shrug:

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Just be white and it won't be a problem. I've been arrested with two assist open knives in my pockets and the deputy handed them back to me when I was bailed out. For the record I wasn't arrested for carrying the knives. Also the article if I'm not mistaken is about laws in New York, where they also stop and search people for no reason.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

zakharov posted:

oh no you loving don't

im pooping! posted:

Just be white and it won't be a problem. I've been arrested with two assist open knives in my pockets and the deputy handed them back to me when I was bailed out. For the record I wasn't arrested for carrying the knives. Also the article if I'm not mistaken is about laws in New York, where they also stop and search people for no reason.

You did try to sell the deputy some drugs afterwards right?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Phanatic posted:

Dirks, shuriken, and nunchaku are also specifically banned. So ninjas and Scottish clan lords stay out of California, I guess.

Well, that makes sense, nobody wants immortal Scottish swordsmen running around California with katanas after all

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

zakharov posted:

A piece of meat in between two buns?

Yeah it is.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

if you remove the bun is it still a hot dog?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Some fascists tried to use the Barcelona terror attack for their own goals and to blame all Muslims/foreigners for it. Turns out the people in Barcelona don't really like fascists using the dead to promote their racism, and they had to be rescued by the riot police:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

im pooping! posted:

if you remove the bun is it still a hot dog?

As long as it's rotating

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

zakharov posted:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/word-games/sandwich-not-serious-quiz

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RareAcumen posted:

oh no you loving don't

You did try to sell the deputy some drugs afterwards right?

somebody please do the needful

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
But where does Calzone fit?

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

dialhforhero posted:

In your mouth hole. Maybe other holes too.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

dialhforhero posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF6P_vPfeQM

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Well then what about P-Zones?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

dialhforhero posted:

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
a pizza-to-sandwich gradient chart, stat

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

http://i.imgur.com/V6aU6Oj.mp4

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

canyoneer posted:

I use that exact knife at work. Same brand and model and all, just black.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Randaconda posted:

somebody please do the needful

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
I accidentally walked through airport security with a boxcutter in a backpack last year. For some reason didn't get caught when the bags were scanned, I was getting a coffee in the department lounge, put my hand in the bag to get a book and realised I had it. I poo poo myself and hid it in a plastic bag and chucked it in a bin, probably looking super suspicious in the process.

That's my knife story, everyone share yours, anything that's ever happened to you involving a knife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
PYkniFe