Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Exmond posted:

Sentinels of the multiverse is a great starting game to card games. Its a cooperative hero based card game where the villian deck plays itself. It has high replayability (Since you can be a different hero team each time and face a different villian and play a different environment). It is also tropey and fun!

If you want a hard game, give this one a pass as the moment to moment decisions are pretty easy to figure out. It also fairs poorly with quarter backers, since it is a team game that's a bit easy to figure out.

What it is not is garbage.

No it's garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I played the iOS version it seemed fun for a minute then yeah kind of dumb and seemed overpowered.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I picked up all of Sentinels on the cheap and it's either way too simple for gamers, or way too complex for non-gamers.

But man oh man it has some die hard afficianados.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
While i don't think sentinels is a great game by any stretch, i really like the digital version for solo-play and in my opinion it's a good distraction when you have fifteen minutes to spare. The randomizer ensures no game is the same although some set-ups are impossible or terribly easy.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

3 Martell decks in Gencon top 4, 1 fealty and 2 bannering Stag. 4th deck is Lannister Rains.

Praise the sun

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

3 Martell decks in Gencon top 4, 1 fealty and 2 bannering Stag. 4th deck is Lannister Rains.

Praise the sun

This is cool and good

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Are the Martell decks that combo deck that buffs up Red Viper to ludicrous amounts and then one shots a win?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

GrandpaPants posted:

Are the Martell decks that combo deck that buffs up Red Viper to ludicrous amounts and then one shots a win?

If this is what everyone calls "hyper viper" then no, not as far as I know.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
That would be called Hyper Viper, yes, but those decks are all Martell/Rose for all the digging actions.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Well, got 3-2 at the Kiku Matsuri L5R tournament at Gencon aka the Hatsune Miku aka the Feast of Cultural Appropriation.

And holy loly was that parade cringe.

The game is fun, though.

dexefiend posted:

My friends and I all dropped after two rounds, since it was like 6pm. They took way too long getting stuff moving.

oh my god this

OB_Juan posted:

And one guy who insisted he was pledged to Haas Bioroid.

Standin' right here, jerk.

gently caress clan loyalty grognards. lemme just buy a game and use 1/7th of the loving cards

Deviant fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 22, 2017

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Went 5-0 at the Kiku Matsuri, as a TO that event made me sad, they hadn't properly considered the impact of the majority of games going to time. Sadly I had to beat Spooky in the last round.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

HidaO-Win posted:

Went 5-0 at the Kiku Matsuri, as a TO that event made me sad, they hadn't properly considered the impact of the majority of games going to time. Sadly I had to beat Spooky in the last round.

Reminds me of the first year of Netrunner. I am worried about people playing for tie breakers at Worlds. 3 Cores might speed the game up a fair bit tho.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I'm grumbly that Crab chose Keeper of Air and not Earth.

And I'm doubly grumbly that I have to follow the will of some grognard i've never met if i want to play in big boy events, instead of being able to build what I perceive as optimal. It's going to stifle creativity.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Went 4-1 finishing 37th in the big L5R tournament. Anecdotally, Dragon was overwhelmingly the most repped clan. The line to pledge to the clan ran almost the whole way across the room whereas I just walked straight up to hand in my Crane pledge with no line whatsoever. Scorpion had a lot of presence too, followed probably, by Phoenix. Crane was in contention for smallest along with Unicorn. Crab seemed to be more repped than Lion, though neither were huge. But that parade, yeah, it was very let's march some Asians about before a room of mostly white men yell "Banzai."

Sentinels has the one-two punch of being not mechanically interesting and also looking like poo poo visually.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Deviant posted:

And I'm doubly grumbly that I have to follow the will of some grognard i've never met if i want to play in big boy events, instead of being able to build what I perceive as optimal. It's going to stifle creativity.

The differing elements of Keeper do not really matter that much. Air is better for the Dishonor/Control Crab that is the better version of Crab out of core.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Deviant posted:

Also remember that this choice is only legal until Worlds. There were a lot of people saying that some of the picks were designed to be suboptimal now, in order to be available after worlds.

As a Scorpion player I'm very sad my clan didn't end up with +3 influence. While the Seeker role does guarantee 2 extra fate through the course of the game, I think dishonor is going to need that extra influence to poach the best cards to support the archetype. Hope we do better at Worlds and get a Keeper role after that.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Deviant posted:

L5R's community impact is part of what makes it special, I guess.

And restrictions can foster creativity as much as stifle it. I don't think you'll be too badly hurt by minor stuff like this.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Clan loyalty in L5R actually seems like the perfect meta-mechanic for someone like me who is completely indecisive about what to play in LCGs. One of the reasons I stop playing so many LCGs is that my cards become so disorganized from half-building dozens of uncompleted decks that I don't care enough to reorganize them to put anything together after I try to move past my initial decks. I have a problem. :(

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Did anyone here play the 12 player Arkham event? I want details!

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Keep in mind that a lot of clan loyalty was formed during the 20+ years of the CCG model, where clan loyalty was actually rewarded because you could trade away stuff from other clans in order to get your favorite clan's stuff. That's far from the only, or even main, reason why clan loyalty exists, but the economic metagame was quite conducive to it.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Deviant posted:

What do you mean by this? I don't understand what you are reffering to.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Phrosphor posted:

In official tournaments part of the deck building rules for each clan are determined by the person who wins worlds or gencon or whatever. I'm on my phone so I can't get a link to the actual rules doc.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Phrosphor posted:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/op/l5r-lcg/roles/

Top 2 players for each clan at Gencon voted on their clan's roles and those are what have to be used in official events till worlds when they get voted again.

Roles for each clan will then change at worlds each year and no clan can take the same role twice in a row.

Kind of a way to keep each year's meta fresh and L5R has always been about clans top players for clans voting on things.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

That is an interesting way of doing things, thanks for the info.

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY
Got to play L5R tonight. Game is pretty sweet. Only managed to get one game in with Scorpion and had a lot of fun.

I don't really have any complaints so far. In terms of flavor and mechanics meshing it's a home run.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

buddy picked up a gencon copy of l5r for me. rules look really good, real excited to play it. its seriously bullshit that you need two copies of the core set to play a full 80 card deck game though. like, you couldn't even include doubles of the neutral cards so two people could do a full demo game out of one core set? come the gently caress on

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Which clan is the most like black in MTG? Being a shithead and keeping your friends from having fun?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

always be closing posted:

Which clan is the most like black in MTG? Being a shithead and keeping your friends from having fun?

Phoenix has the natural recursion a-la graveyard dickery in black.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Is there a clan that likes wars of attrition, taking a beating and then stabilizing and coming back for the win?

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
That would be Crab who can build to defend well and build up small leads, sacrifice guys for greater efficiency and win the long game.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

always be closing posted:

Scorpion.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Remember the old Netrunner adage- at the end of the day it doesn't matter who won as long as you had fun, and your opponent didn't.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

Fungah! posted:

buddy picked up a gencon copy of l5r for me. rules look really good, real excited to play it. its seriously bullshit that you need two copies of the core set to play a full 80 card deck game though. like, you couldn't even include doubles of the neutral cards so two people could do a full demo game out of one core set? come the gently caress on

Ah that sucks, I have no idea when I'll be able to find a second one of these.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Fungah! posted:

its seriously bullshit that you need two copies of the core set to play a full 80 card deck game though.

I'm assuming there are rules for smaller deck sizes, but that really does suck. Netrunner's core set "rares" were a bad idea but at least you could play regular games with just core.

I'll hold off until we see what the expansion releases are like, rather than buy two cores.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Fungah! posted:

You can only build one deck from one core set, or you need two core sets to build even one legal deck? Because either one would be a new low for FFG's core set sales strategy, but the latter would be some serious bullshit.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Actually, AGoT 2.0 already set the precedent.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

BJPaskoff posted:

You can only build one deck from one core set, or you need two core sets to build even one legal deck? Because either one would be a new low for FFG's core set sales strategy, but the latter would be some serious bullshit.

You can build a legal 40/40 deck with one core but you will feel some hurt. You are going to want 2 cores.
If you build 30/30 decks you can make 2 decks out of 1 Core.

As with any LCG you will always want 3 cores if you are doing tournaments.

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY
I still don't understand the backlash with the LCG model and needing more than one core.

One core is a good board game experience, two gets you into more competitive and three is needed if you want to be super competitive. If you just play with a couple friends and don't want to buy more cores, just proxy. Competitive play will always have a cost-barrier in any card game.

And to put that cost barrier into perspective, three cores is ~$120 MSRP. This is only $30 more than a booster box of Magic, in which 95-98% of the cards will be useless and basically worth no money and if you play standard won't even be legal for more than two years. Core sets are useful throughout the entire lifetime of an LCG. If you buy singles for Magic, the cheapest of the top 4 decks is ~$200 and will either be completely eliminated when a new set comes out due to meta-game changes or drop out of rotation.

I know they're completely different distribution models, but the LCG format really is the best way to me to get a card game out there and control the costs for the players.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I AM CARVALLO posted:

I still don't understand the backlash with the LCG model and needing more than one core.

One core is a good board game experience, two gets you into more competitive and three is needed if you want to be super competitive. If you just play with a couple friends and don't want to buy more cores, just proxy. Competitive play will always have a cost-barrier in any card game.

And to put that cost barrier into perspective, three cores is ~$120 MSRP. This is only $30 more than a booster box of Magic, in which 95-98% of the cards will be useless and basically worth no money and if you play standard won't even be legal for more than two years. Core sets are useful throughout the entire lifetime of an LCG. If you buy singles for Magic, the cheapest of the top 4 decks is ~$200 and will either be completely eliminated when a new set comes out due to meta-game changes or drop out of rotation.

I know they're completely different distribution models, but the LCG format really is the best way to me to get a card game out there and control the costs for the players.

The backlash is that it's hard to get a good board game experience out of a single core because you can only build two 30/30 decks out of it at once if you follow the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

The backlash is that it's hard to get a good board game experience out of a single core because you can only build two 30/30 decks out of it at once if you follow the rules.

It's a 2-player game, and you can do that for any of the clans IIRC, so... that's not really an argument against it.