Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Ruby is the new host for GoodCoop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Did Booper ask Jeffries if he had called him or contacted him on his phone or what was that?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Yeah and Jeffries said he didn't have his number

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

You think Diane could be posing as Jeffries?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

I initially thought Coop's return to sentience would be more gradual but with only a handful of episodes left I could see that shock just kicking him right back into Coop mode.

Although in some ways that would feel almost too easy so I wouldn't be surprised if Lynch goes another direction next week.

He's dead.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

tap my mountain posted:

Yeah and Jeffries said he didn't have his number

oh yeah I meant to mention this after last night's rewatch

the interdimensional fbi agent turned supernatural tea kettle can't call bad cooper.. why? duh, he doesn't have his number. He does have some coordinates though, here, take them...

lmao man I LOVE this show. love it.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

hawowanlawow posted:

You think Diane could be posing as Jeffries?

We heard the voice of the person on the phone though and it was a man. And they weren't posing as Jeffries, that's just who Mr. C assumed it to be, and I don't think the voice answered.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So if it was the coordinates that makes it almost certain that Judy is Naido right? We know they're in Twin Peaks and I still have a sneaking feeling they're that Jackrabbit's Palace area where the sheriffs found her.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

So if it was the coordinates that makes it almost certain that Judy is Naido right? We know they're in Twin Peaks and I still have a sneaking feeling they're that Jackrabbit's Palace area where the sheriffs found her.

Nah, Coop hasn't met her. Plus she's a bit strange for her to have "found something"

I'm really buying into the Judy is Garland theory, he's the only one that fits both criteria.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

tap my mountain posted:

Nah, Coop hasn't met her. Plus she's a bit strange for her to have "found something"

I'm really buying into the Judy is Garland theory, he's the only one that fits both criteria.

Judy Garland

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahah that would own

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

call me nuts but I believe Jeffries is the steam/water inside the kettle and not the kettle itself

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Judy Garland

Yeah exactly it's too perfect not to be

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

handsome only face posted:

call me nuts but I believe Jeffries is the steam/water inside the kettle and not the kettle itself

He's some drat fine coffee

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

handsome only face posted:

imo hes the transparent ball/cellular structure thing and the steam is feeding him somehow

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I think the whole thing is him, similar to how the Arm is both the brain and the tree rather than just a brain on a tree. It's not like the parts of your body keeping you alive aren't part of yourself.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

tap my mountain posted:

I think the whole thing is him, similar to how the Arm is both the brain and the tree rather than just a brain on a tree. It's not like the parts of your body keeping you alive aren't part of yourself.

I'd be more willing to believe this if we hadn't seen that the tibetian resonance bell object (good fuckin call on that btw whoever that was, that's what I'm thinking of them as now) seems to have other discrete purposes in the other realms, whereas the tree is the only tree we see outside of the real world.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
The Judy Garland thing only really has weight because Garland Briggs mentions it himself when he returns from one of the lodges in season 2. He says something along the lines of "Garland, what a strange name. Judy Garland." I think that, along with the fact that Bad Coop has been asking about Briggs specifically and has made no mention or reference to Naiko means that Briggs is a stronger contender to be Judy.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

LawfulWaffle posted:

The Judy Garland thing only really has weight because Garland Briggs mentions it himself when he returns from one of the lodges in season 2. He says something along the lines of "Garland, what a strange name. Judy Garland." I think that, along with the fact that Bad Coop has been asking about Briggs specifically and has made no mention or reference to Naiko means that Briggs is a stronger contender to be Judy.

It made enough sense to me even when I hadn't remembered that line. "judy garland' seemed a bit on the nose though it made sense. But of course you're absolutely right, Garland did literally say the name 'judy' when referring to himself, and everything else makes so much sense. This show just has such a cool feeling, like we're uncovering mysteries that have really and truly been buried for a quarter of a century. Nothing else like it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

So who was the person on the phone with Booper that he thought was Jeffries? Seems really late in the show to introduce a new player so it must be someone we already know. Assuming we believe the tea kettle, that leaves ... who? Garland via some afterlife shenanigans? The giant? My guess is Leland. It makes no sense for him to only appear in one 5 second scene this season so he must feature in the last few episodes. Maybe he's trying to sabotage Bob-dopplecooper as some type of redemption?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

regulargonzalez posted:

So who was the person on the phone with Booper that he thought was Jeffries? Seems really late in the show to introduce a new player so it must be someone we already know. Assuming we believe the tea kettle, that leaves ... who? Garland via some afterlife shenanigans? The giant? My guess is Leland. It makes no sense for him to only appear in one 5 second scene this season so he must feature in the last few episodes. Maybe he's trying to sabotage Bob-dopplecooper as some type of redemption?

I went to look at the wiki for that scene when I mentioned it earlier cause I'm at work and wanted to confirm facts, and the thing that really gets me is that (at least according to the wiki), Cooper is the one that dials. Why did he have the number and why was he expecting it to be Jeffries? And why wasn't it?

edit: but then the summary of the Jeffries Kettle scene says he was called in the motel. can anyone confirm?

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 22, 2017

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Wait a minute. I just realized who it must be. Only a true master of disguise could impersonate Phillip Jeffries.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Reading the 'Judy' item on the twin peaks wiki I'm kind of changing my mind on the theory.

In 1987, just before his disappearance, Phillip Jeffries inquired after "Miss Judy" at the Palm Deluxe hotel in Buenos Aires. The desk clerk gave him a letter that "the young woman" had left for him.[1]

During his sudden appearance at the FBI headquarters in 1989, he initially stated to Gordon Cole that he did not want to talk about Judy, but later emphasized that she was "positive about this," and that he had found something at her home in Seattle.[1][2]

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

regulargonzalez posted:

Wait a minute. I just realized who it must be. Only a true master of disguise could impersonate Phillip Jeffries.

.. gene parmesan?

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

The Walrus posted:

.. gene parmesan?

Mr. Tojamura

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

The Walrus posted:

Reading the 'Judy' item on the twin peaks wiki I'm kind of changing my mind on the theory.

In 1987, just before his disappearance, Phillip Jeffries inquired after "Miss Judy" at the Palm Deluxe hotel in Buenos Aires. The desk clerk gave him a letter that "the young woman" had left for him.[1]

During his sudden appearance at the FBI headquarters in 1989, he initially stated to Gordon Cole that he did not want to talk about Judy, but later emphasized that she was "positive about this," and that he had found something at her home in Seattle.[1][2]

Originally Judy was intended to be related to Josie, but that could easily be retconned now.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

The Walrus posted:

.. gene parmesan?

:aaaaa:

Isn't Gene the best?

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Bad Coop is the one that sets up all the FBI gear in the motel in order to contact Jeffries. The conversation Bad Coop has with "Jeffries" is definitely one of many that they've had. Fake Jeffries says "Missed you in New York" to which Bad Coop says "Couldn't be helped. I assume you're still nowhere?" which sounds like he's referring to the Dutchmans. I'm guessing fake Jeffries is Mike.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 22, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe it's as simple as Jeffries has a doppelganger. I mean, we are to assume he's been into the lodge..

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've always assumed it was Mike tbh

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Is the voice credited as Phillip Jeffries in that episode? Or is it like, "Phillip Jeffries" or something like that?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Lord Krangdar posted:

Originally Judy was intended to be related to Josie, but that could easily be retconned now.

Also those two scenes were Missing Pieces so it's questionable if they are canon or not

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

tap my mountain posted:

Also those two scenes were Missing Pieces so it's questionable if they are canon or not

I don't know if Frost and Lynch even care about canon all that much. They just do what they want. Like having Deer Meadow suddenly change locations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Thom and the Heads posted:

the amount of acting Kyle MacLachlan has done with his eyes alone this season is astounding

I was a little shocked that no one else seemed to notice this, but when Gooper was being helped into the limo to go see the Mitchum brothers, there's about half a second where his eyes almost bugged right out of his head when the guy has him about halfway in. It's hard to describe properly or explain why it's so funny; I just suggest going back and watching for it. I thought it was amazing acting on Kyle's part.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

For anyone interested in the earliest Lynch/Coulson collaborations. It's almost come full circle in a way https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ5RsowRIus

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah I only ever get like a third of what they're saying. I also had hearing problems during the big Sunset Boulevard scene and completely missed that there was a call for Gordon Cole. Kind of not the best way to see that scene but MacLachlan makes it so obvious things are falling into place in Coop's head that I still got it.

It's so weird that people keep saying this; I've never had a problem understanding Hutch and Chantal at all. I guess it's like how I was surprised that a lot of people from the northern US say they hate Justified because they can't understand the accents. I grew up hearing people talk like that so I never had a problem understanding anyone on that show.

Also, I interpreted the scene with the dog walker coming out of the woods and talking to Carl as signifying that the guy wrestled the gun away from Steven and shot him. But now that I think about it, the guy probably would have been acting a lot more upset if that's what happened.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I don't know what there is to interpret, really. Dog walker sees Steven and Gersten with the gun and leaves. Gersten uses the distraction to get away from Steven because he's high af with a gun and could shoot her, accidentally or not. Steven then kills himself like he was already planning to and she tried to talk him out of.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

The gunshot was offscreen though, if Lynch wanted you to know exactly what happened he would have shown where the bullet went. It's left ambiguous for a reason.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I mean it's possible he just discharged the gum and didn't kill himself, for sure. But I don't get why people would think Frost's reporter took the gun or something.

I think it's more likely Steven killed himself and Lynch just kept the focus on Gersten b/c her reaction is as striking a way to convey what happened as showing a body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

tap my mountain posted:

The gunshot was offscreen though, if Lynch wanted you to know exactly what happened he would have shown where the bullet went. It's left ambiguous for a reason.

I think that's just because Lynch wanted to focus on Gersten's reaction. I'll agree I was a bit thrown off by the scene because I couldn't hear the dialogue but it's pretty unambiguous once you get the whole sense of things.