Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Aesop Poprock posted:

Not counting SMG (I'm assuming)there can't possibly be anyone who defends Sucker Punch can there

You are forgetting about all the posters who imitate him, and do in-depth analysis about how a children's film is actually about communism. (Every film is actually about communism according to CineD.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Sucker Punch has enough good parts to be savable with some heavy edits and a bit if additional dialog. It'd still be a crap tier movie of course, but it could be a beloved one rather than a reviled one.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Angry Salami posted:

Wasn't Sucker Punch the film where SMG posted his usual pages and pages of ramblings and theory before admitting he hadn't actually seen it?

I thought that was every movie ever.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Aesop Poprock posted:

Not counting SMG (I'm assuming)there can't possibly be anyone who defends Sucker Punch can there

Go to CD and try to criticize Sucker Punch, and see what happens.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I don't know how they made a movie about hot chicks fighting nazis and samurai and zombies so loving boring

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't think that Gaiman's ever written anything better than Sandman. Sad, really.

That's an insanely high bar to pass though. Even something that's half as good as Sandman should be regarded as a classic.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Boy there are a lot of poo poo opinions about Alan Moore in this thread. Neil Gaiman is better? The Watchmen movie was better than the book? What the gently caress is wrong with you people
Well, Alan Moore has some pretty poo poo opinions about Alan Moore so it evens out. The movie's mostly poo poo, but the Evil Plan is better. And whether or not Neil Gaiman is better than Alan Moore is subjective, but one thing is beyond debate: Neil Gaiman did not write Lost Girls.

Ellie Crabcakes has a new favorite as of 17:00 on Aug 22, 2017

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Aesop Poprock posted:

What's weird is that my brain somehow combined this episode with some live action show I can't remember the name of where a kid with AIDs is on the swimteam of a highschool (i think) and he cracked his head open in the pool and everyone panics and flees and all the parents are angry and reacting like the kid's a monster etc. Does anyone know what the hell show I'm talking about? Cause for a while I thought captain planet had an aids kid bleeding in a pool and I was trying to remember how they got around the censors for that. I also remember thinking "I'd probably get the gently caress out of a pool a kid was bleeding heavily in regardless cause gross"

This feels painfully familiar, but I'm thinking it was more likely an After-School Special (who else remembers those?) or a Lifetime movie.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I wish people would just make up their minds about whether their response to being threatened by people discussing movies in CD is to either not care at all or to obsessively (mis)remember every single discussion that has ever happened there ever. Doing the GBS thing of spending years cataloguing your grievances in humorless anger from afar to show how little you care isn't interesting or funny in any way.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

IShallRiseAgain posted:

You are forgetting about all the posters who imitate him, and do in-depth analysis about how a children's film is actually about communism. (Every film is actually about communism according to CineD.)

We should all be concerned if the films made for our children are preaching communist values.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Davros1 posted:

Go to CD and try to criticize Sucker Punch, and see what happens.

I have a lot of free time but not nearly enough to post earnestly in CD

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

I wish people would just make up their minds about whether their response to being threatened by people discussing movies in CD is to either not care at all or to obsessively (mis)remember every single discussion that has ever happened there ever. Doing the GBS thing of spending years cataloguing your grievances in humorless anger from afar to show how little you care isn't interesting or funny in any way.

Found the butthurt CD poster.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On the other side of things, an episode that I really appreciated was the Christmas episode of Rocko's Modern Life in Season 2 (been watching through the old episodes recently so it's fresh in my mind) - it sets up the plot with Rocko holding a small get-together with his friends, but from Heifer's family onwards it triggers a massive chain invite, making the plot look like one of the most annoying party cliches - "The party goes out of control and trashes the house" - happily they avoid this cliche, by having Rocko notice a lot of people are calling him saying that they are looking forward to the party, and so he has plenty of advance warning to go and get supplies, setting up a really good party that can host the whole town. The plot goes in a completely different direction as Ed Bighead sabotages the party by spreading a nasty rumour, which was much more interesting.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
There's a very early Malcolm in the Middle episode where he gets a head injury that needed an ER and stitches.
Without insurance they were billed $400

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

John Big Booty posted:

Well, Alan Moore has some pretty poo poo opinions about Alan Moore so it evens out. The movie's mostly poo poo, but the Evil Plan is better.

The whole point of the Evil Plan is that it is a totally out of nowhere streak of "what the gently caress" that nobody could conceivably ever see coming [kinda like cutting the Gordian Knot, eh? eh?] and makes humanity realise that their squabbles are petty in the grand scheme of things. Changing it to hinge on an integral part of the world's current nuclear deadlock is fuckin' dumb city and misses the point.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Aesop Poprock posted:

What's weird is that my brain somehow combined this episode with some live action show I can't remember the name of where a kid with AIDs is on the swimteam of a highschool (i think) and he cracked his head open in the pool and everyone panics and flees and all the parents are angry and reacting like the kid's a monster etc. Does anyone know what the hell show I'm talking about? Cause for a while I thought captain planet had an aids kid bleeding in a pool and I was trying to remember how they got around the censors for that. I also remember thinking "I'd probably get the gently caress out of a pool a kid was bleeding heavily in regardless cause gross"

I can't think of a TV series that did this, but "Jessie's Song" aired about two years after Greg Louganis, an HIV-positive diver, hit his head on the board at the 1988 Olympics and his blood got into the pool; there was a lot of furor because he hadn't disclosed his HIV status.

Interestingly, in 1997, Mario Lopez - who played Slater on Saved By The Bell - played Louganis in a TV movie about the incident.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Disgusting Coward posted:

The whole point of the Evil Plan is that it is a totally out of nowhere streak of "what the gently caress" that nobody could conceivably ever see coming [kinda like cutting the Gordian Knot, eh? eh?] and makes humanity realise that their squabbles are petty in the grand scheme of things. Changing it to hinge on an integral part of the world's current nuclear deadlock is fuckin' dumb city and misses the point.

Exactly. The movie version of the Evil Plan would only exacerbate the global conflict and make people fight each other more, being the exact opposite of the goal at hand.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I have a lot of free time but not nearly enough to post earnestly in CD

Same, and I have a degree in film.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Aesop Poprock posted:

What's weird is that my brain somehow combined this episode with some live action show I can't remember the name of where a kid with AIDs is on the swimteam of a highschool (i think) and he cracked his head open in the pool and everyone panics and flees and all the parents are angry and reacting like the kid's a monster etc. Does anyone know what the hell show I'm talking about?
Queer as Folk.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

That's an insanely high bar to pass though. Even something that's half as good as Sandman should be regarded as a classic.

Yeah, Gaiman's really really hit or miss but that was one hell of a loving hit.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Disgusting Coward posted:

On the other hand, they know exactly what he can do and that he's no longer willing to do it just for one side. The west has lost their tactical advantage and now has a very compelling reason to clean up the mess they've made. The crotchtapus is a total cipher. What were its intentions? Did it have any? Did it even mean to come here anyway? Should we really be worried about vagina monsters with very imprecise teleportation techniques who immediately explode when they try to invade?

I mean, if nothing else, it's the least dumb change made to the story.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
The comic ending also has the problem that after establishing a world where none of the characters have superpowers except Dr. Manhattan, it then decides "Oh, yeah, psychics are real too."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

John Big Booty posted:

On the other hand, they know exactly what he can do and that he's no longer willing to do it just for one side. The west has lost their tactical advantage and now has a very compelling reason to clean up the mess they've made. The crotchtapus is a total cipher. What were its intentions? Did it have any? Did it even mean to come here anyway? Should we really be worried about vagina monsters with very imprecise teleportation techniques who immediately explode when they try to invade?

I mean, if nothing else, it's the least dumb change made to the story.

Uh most of these questions are not something anyone would ask.

You are reaching quite a bit here.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

We live in a world where people spent eight years asking whether a dude born in Hawaii was actually a Kenyan Muslim building FEMA death camps. I imagine the science community would be asking way more questions than that.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

John Big Booty, how well do you feel Buckaroo Banzai has aged?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Scholtz posted:

It's literally unwatchable to anybody who doesn't already have nostalgia for it.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Oh yeah that AIDS episode was a winner in junior school.

Watching back it's fascinating.

Curiously Neil Patrick Harris plays the kid well before he came out.

The lead character is established to be straight so it's trying to address the impression at the time that it is a gay only disease.

The episode notes the kid possibly gets it from a blood transfusion, but it's left vauge as the doc points out drug needle use and unprotected sex as probable cause.
It's stuff the average seven year old isn't going to pick up on, or read into pretty poorly.

Granted this tries to reassure people it isn't the black death and you can have contacted with afflicted friends.

However HIV/AIDS is left to be this mystery disease with thin coverage on how to avoid it beyond a vauge allusion to protecting yourself by being healthy during the PSA thing at the end of the show.

Being a kids show it obviously can't go deeper into the topic beyond saying "ask your parents".
Which I'm sure delighted many parents trying to figure out what the hell their kid was watching.

Keep in mind this was the early 90s so the AIDS stigma was still massive and the episode reflects that and a few other culture points at the time.

Elizabeth Taylor cameos as the mother.

Magic Johnson seems to be reflected in the basketball theme.

It also takes its cues from the incident of Ryan White, a 12 year old who became ostracized from his school and society from contracting HIV from a transfusion at the height of the epidemic.

But you can't ignore the heavy handed HIV panic that floods the episode as the whole town soon hates the kid and his family. It overshadows any of the reassurance the episode might hold.

Also in retrospect the episode is pretty grim as despite the kid getting his life back and a potential basketball career it's overshadowed by a potentially fatal outcome.

Oh and special mention to the drugs episode.

Drugs make people turn into zombies impervious to fire or pain.
Leading to an insane escalation where law and order have fled out of fear of drug zombies.

A character's cousin, high on drugs, throws himself through a window and bleeds all over the place before dying on screen from an OD.

The planeteers then do a closing monologue and to top off the insanity, their "power is yours" thing with his dead body by their feet.

Pretty metal for a kids show.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The ending of Watchmen is very similar to the Outer Limits episode "The Architects of Fear" (though I think Moore said it was a coincidence)- there, a bunch of people work to try to force world piece by faking an alien invasion, which involves turning one of their own into an alien monstrosity, but it all goes awry.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Scholtz posted:

What this Guy said:

Guy Mann posted:

It's literally unwatchable to anybody who doesn't already have nostalgia for it.
It is the cheesiest loving thing imaginable.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Sandman's not that loving good. If it had lovely art it would be entirely unmemorable.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Pick posted:

Sandman's not that loving good. If it had lovely art it would be entirely unmemorable.

I think you will find that it is actually good.

You're welcome

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

WebDog posted:

Keep in mind this was the early 90s so the AIDS stigma was still massive and the episode reflects that and a few other culture points at the time.

Elizabeth Taylor cameos as the mother.

Magic Johnson seems to be reflected in the basketball theme.

It also takes its cues from the incident of Ryan White, a 12 year old who became ostracized from his school and society from contracting HIV from a transfusion at the height of the epidemic.

But you can't ignore the heavy handed HIV panic that floods the episode as the whole town soon hates the kid and his family. It overshadows any of the reassurance the episode might hold.

Though ostracism was everywhere, that last bit seems to be at least partially inspired by a family's home being burned down in Florida because some of the kids had AIDS through blood transfusions.

RC and Moon Pie has a new favorite as of 06:05 on Aug 23, 2017

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

John Big Booty posted:

What this Guy said:
It is the cheesiest loving thing imaginable.

A friend made me watch it for the first time a couple of years ago. I didn't really have any nostalgia for it but really enjoy Jeff Goldblum and John Lithgow, so I enjoyed it!

I do really, really love incredibly cheesy movies, though, as does my friend. Their other favorite movie is Queen of the Damned, which is also incredibly enjoyable in a terrible way.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Guy Mann posted:

I tried to watch it like 5 years ago and I do not even know what it is or for.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Maxwell Lord posted:

The ending of Watchmen is very similar to the Outer Limits episode "The Architects of Fear" (though I think Moore said it was a coincidence)- there, a bunch of people work to try to force world piece by faking an alien invasion, which involves turning one of their own into an alien monstrosity, but it all goes awry.
Watchmen's plot is copied almost exactly from The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut. Moore just added super heroes.

A Haunted Pug
Aug 10, 2007

funmanguy posted:

I think you will find that it is actually good.

You're welcome

It also had really lovely art at first.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Maxwell Lord posted:

Actually Moore gives a shoutout in the book itself to this: it's playing on the tv in the epilogue at the original Silk Spectre's house.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Angry Salami posted:

The comic ending also has the problem that after establishing a world where none of the characters have superpowers except Dr. Manhattan, it then decides "Oh, yeah, psychics are real too."

I think Moore believes in psychic powers in real life anyway. :v:

Additional: Extract from an actual speech given by the President of the United States in the year the comic came out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Last I checked, Moore worships a god that the ancient Romans considered fictional. He may be taking the piss.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Inescapable Duck posted:

Last I checked, Moore worships a god that the ancient Romans considered fictional. He may be taking the piss.

"One word balloon in From Hell completely hijacked my life ... A character says something like, 'The one place gods inarguably exist is in the human mind'. After I wrote that, I realised I'd accidentally made a true statement, and now I'd have to rearrange my entire life around it. The only thing that seemed to really be appropriate was to become a magician."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

Sandman exists in this weird place where it's simultaneously badly overhyped and also incredibly good. Its fanbase is mostly populated by Hot Topic kids enthralled because ~OMG so cool and dark~ but there's also a really tightly written classical heroic tragedy buried in there too.